• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst you've felt after killing someone in a game?

The Llama

I've been trying to get through Watch Dogs, and towards the end there's a mission where you
kill a man by setting off his pacemaker
. Despite
the guy supposedly being one of the main bad guys
, I actually felt really bad about it. Can't think of any other specific examples, but there's been other times where I just really didn't want to kill someone, and felt bad afterwards.

What about you guys?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Probably when my Pokémon faints due to my mistake, makes me feel bad that they suffered because of me.

I also felt bad when my Metal Greymon died of old age in Digimon World, put me off playing for awhile.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
most of the stuff in God of War 3 was excessive I thought

I had to stop playing an Oblivion character because of the Brotherhood mission where you kill all the members of a family. No reason was given in the game and it got to me.

I never feel bad, because games aren't real.
By that logic you should never feel sad about a film, because it's not real.
Saying that, I can't say I've ever felt bad, though I used to not kill civilians in GTA because I would feel bad if I did.. I was young though.

antitrop

I've been trying to get through Watch Dogs, and towards the end there's a mission where you
kill a man by setting off his pacemaker
. Despite
the guy supposedly being one of the main bad guys
, I actually felt really bad about it. Can't think of any other specific examples, but there's been other times where I just really didn't want to kill someone, and felt bad afterwards.
Aiden Pearce is such a piece of shit.

RK9039

MGS3-Screen.jpg

And Sif in Dark Souls, after I played the DLC.

Marcel

I didn't feel bad in Watch_Dogs because every plot-related character is either a douchebag, terribly written or both.

Bessy67

Recently in Ryse I didn't really want to kill
Boudica. The Romans fucked up her country and betrayed and murdered her father. I thought she was pretty justified in what she did and felt bad killing her
. I'm sure I could think of more if I thought back, but that was recent.

braves01

Banned
By the end of Uncharted 3, I needed some time to reflect on all the people I'd killed and whether pursuit of treasure was worth it. I think it was especially bad because Drake doesn't reflect on his sins much at all because he has that insatiable lust for treasure.

Jaykay

Infamous 2 had a spot that made me feel pretty bad.
Zeke coming after you in the last mission on the evil playthrough saying he has to at least try to stop you. I just sat there and hoped if I didn't do anything, it would just progress and let him live. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Auctopus

Reposting from a similar thread a couple weeks ago...

I remember when I was about 12-13, playing through SOTC. I remember quite late at night, I was fighting the 'Lion', that's what I called him anyway. He was the one who charges and pushes over the tall columns you're standing on, he's about 10th I think.

Anyway, 'cause it was late and nobody was really up, I was fully immersed in the game. I beat him and went to bed.

I remember lying there, my mind sorta still in the game and thinking "That little dude was just hanging out by the temple doing nothing, completely alone and I just killed him."

I was 12, had spent plenty of hours murdering folk in San Andreas and Ueda had just made me feel sorrowful (that is really the only apt word for what I was feeling) for a virtual beast.

Very special game.

Edit: Found a picture, his name's 'Cenobia' and he's the 14th Colossus.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Never felt bad for killing anything in a game.

But, the example in the OP did make me feel like "This is kinda too dark. Nah he's gonna revive him or something, right? RIGHT?" and was actually the best moment of that terribly boring game.

Kosma

Banned
By the end of Uncharted 3, I needed some time to reflect on all the people I'd killed and whether pursuit of treasure was worth it. I think it was especially bad because Drake doesn't reflect on his sins much at all because he has that insatiable lust for treasure.

Hahaha thanks :)

Springy

Killing
Bastila
in KotOR really upset me. I kept reloading and exploring different dialogue options to prevent it, but I just wasn't charismatic enough.

Changed the way I played RPGs. Always max out speech skills first now without fail.

Ashtar

killing a dog in TWDS2.
Not how spoilers work dude try naming the game then putting the murder in spoilers
Mass effect 3
shot mordin in the back when he tried to cure the genophage what a bastard I also felt bad when wrex tried to get back at me and I smoked him RIP WREX
Mass effect 1
killed sexy wrexy
felt so bad about it I undid the decision when I played me2 on ps3

Bessy67

Killing
Bastila
in KotOR really upset me. I kept reloading and exploring different dialogue options to prevent it, but I just wasn't charismatic enough.

Changed the way I played RPGs. Always max out speech skills first now without fail.
Oh man, that reminds me about going dark side and
jedi mind tricking Zallabar into killing Mission.

Infamous 2 had a spot that made me feel pretty bad.
Zeke coming after you in the last mission on the evil playthrough saying he has to at least try to stop you. I just sat there and hoped if I didn't do anything, it would just progress and let him live. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

I only did it for the platinum and still felt bad

In the Desert section of Breath of Fire III, there's an animal that you use to traverse the first half of the desert. At one point though, it quickly becomes clear that there's no food left, so there's no choice but to kill the animal for food. The game makes you kill it by your own hand and everything. Always feel pretty bad whenever I replay that section.

That always stuck out to me, even in a game like BoFIII where moral ambiguity is one of the main thematic elements.

Top Bottom