• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

Day 5 done, nothing seems as hard as day 1 though, god damn Yoga yesterday I finished it but I landed awkward on my foot and now it hurts when I put a lot of pressure on it, still powering through, hopefully it goes away, have noticed my skins a lot firmer and some muscle development already. Not sure if I want to do stretch on Sunday or just have the day off

mm04

UnblessedSoul said:
Day 5 done, nothing seems as hard as day 1 though, god damn Yoga yesterday I finished it but I landed awkward on my foot and now it hurts when I put a lot of pressure on it, still powering through, hopefully it goes away, have noticed my skins a lot firmer and some muscle development already. Not sure if I want to do stretch on Sunday or just have the day off

Nice work. After tomorrow, I'll have completed phase 2. I have never done X-Stretch on Sunday. I've rested 90% of the time and thrown in a little elliptical work on Sundays I felt I needed a little activity. At first, you kinda want to do something every day because you're building that mindset, but that day of rest is a welcome thing.

The weekend is typically where I have a couple of cheat meals. But even then, I find it difficult to consume the total amount of calories suggested. This is especially true if you try and eat 5 smaller meals a day. But you need that food to help build muscle as well. So it's a balancing act on possibly under-eating and not feeding your muscles enough or trying to lose weight faster.

Day 3 now into the original P90. First day where I almost said fuck it and not wanting to do it. Glad that I did it as it was enjoyable and went by very quickly. Been trying to just take it easy on pace and reps, i figured as long as I keep on doing them, it's better than hurting myself. The yoga stretch is a big challenge for me, more so anything else. Also the reverse push ups using the chair. I can already do more push-ups already, but man I wish the day would come I can do the 7-7-7 (wide/narrow/wide) push-ups without needing to rest

noah111

Still Alive
FUCK I hate this situation. So right now I should be doing Kenpo (i.e. Day 6) but in reality I have only done Days 1&2! I'm like 4 days behind.

It's just been too busy, uncharacteristically so, to have the time. One day I had to prepare and shoot a bday party, the next day I had a hangover and woke up late and then had to travel that day.

Now I just returned from an hour+ drive and need to eat something and celebrate Eid with some family. Worst luck ever! I am going to try and do day 3 (shoulders&arms) today, I need to get the ball rolling.

SmokeMaxX

I agree Sentry. I'm 2 days behind because my girlfriend was supposed to work out with me and we both ended up falling asleep both nights... I think I'll just do Yoga X + Stretch X tonight and then whatever's tomorrow (Back and Legs?) + Kempo X to catch up for the week.

OG Kush

Sentry said:
FUCK I hate this situation. So right now I should be doing Kenpo (i.e. Day 6) but in reality I have only done Days 1&2! I'm like 4 days behind.

It's just been too busy, uncharacteristically so, to have the time. One day I had to prepare and shoot a bday party, the next day I had a hangover and woke up late and then had to travel that day.

Now I just returned from an hour+ drive and need to eat something and celebrate Eid with some family. Worst luck ever! I am going to try and do day 3 (shoulders&arms) today, I need to get the ball rolling.
haha man I had such fat meal today because of Eid!
I would suggest restarting the week from the beginning again.

noah111

Still Alive
I may start up all over again (i'd actually like that), but then again tomorrow afternoon i'm probably traveling and staying somewhere that working out isn't an option... FUCK.

I'm sorry, I think I might need to hold off several days until I return to start all over again from day 1. :(

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Did Back and Biceps today and I honestly don't think I can tolerate it again because of Katie.

noah111

Still Alive
^If you're serious I have a text version I could send you of most of the workouts, it's minute by minute what you have to do. (who's katie?)

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Sentry said:
^If you're serious I have a text version I could send you of most of the workouts, it's minute by minute what you have to do. (who's katie?)
One of the exercisers in the dvds. She's so aggravating with a lame humor and just discourages you from every exercise.

BertramCooper said:
"Ooooh, my god!"

"I'm getting tired!"

"We luuuuuuuv the supaman!"

"I'm gonna do corn cob! I feel good!"
"Tickets to what show Tony?"

"Bring it. Bring the pain."

"How many reps do you think I'm gonna do Tony?"

mm04

Staying on schedule at first is very difficult. But like any exercise program, prioritizing that commitment is huge. Once you get into the rhythm, you'll find yourself scheduling things around your workout, as opposed to the opposite. Trust me, when you start seeing the results in the mirror, it changes everything. It will become more important to you than sleeping in or going out drinking or partying. The more intermittent your exercise pattern becomes, the easier it will be to just stop altogether.

It's hard at first because you don't visually see any improvement, all you feel is pain, but you have to stick with it. Otherwise it'll end up being a short term venture and failure. A co-worker of mine completely sold me on P90X when he told me his results. He lost 30 pounds over about 120 days. I didn't need that kind of weight loss (8 pounds so far, but more muscle mass), but in order for me to drop 10 pounds in the past, it was dieting and calorie counting. Which sucked. Going to sleep hungry, is not fun. Now I have to make sure I eat enough, so that I'm not starving my muscles. Much more gratifying. Plus, I'm not headed towards thin. I'm headed towards toned.

Anyway, I'm not sure if my little wall of text was inspirational or not, but if you continue on, you won't regret it. If you quit, it's likely that you will.

Dr Eggman said:
One of the exercisers in the dvds. She's so aggravating with a lame humor and just discourages you from every exercise.

"Tickets to what show Tony?"

"Bring it. Bring the pain."

"How many reps do you think I'm gonna do Tony?"

Katie: "I'm weighting up..."

Tony: "...haha..."

Katie: (mockingly) "...ha--haor..."

Ydahs

Day one of phase 2 was pretty damn hard. I don't know if chest, shoulders and triceps is just an extremely tough workout or if I was just exhausted because it was the first time lifting weights in a week. I think it may be a bit of both. Didn't feel too good prior to the workout too so that might be a contributor.

What do you guys reckon? Is the starting workout of every phase always the hardest to get through?

mm04

Ydahs said:
Day one of phase 2 was pretty damn hard. I don't know if chest, shoulders and triceps is just an extremely tough workout or if I was just exhausted because it was the first time lifting weights in a week. I think it may be a bit of both. Didn't feel too good prior to the workout too so that might be a contributor.

What do you guys reckon? Is the starting workout of every phase always the hardest to get through?

That's common. If you're like me, you won't even feel good about that particular workout (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps) until week 3 of the phase, then you won't see that particular workout again until week 2 of Phase 3. It's a building process. You're basically starting over as it's a completely different exercise routine.

I will tell you this, in Phase 3, you basically go a week of Phase 1, then Phase 2, then 1, etc.. On day 1 of Phase 3, I absolutely had my best Chest and Back workout routine I've ever had. Much better than any of the 3 iterations in Phase 1. It's called the mastery phase, so not unexpected. But it was a good feeling nonetheless.

In short, don't sweat it. You'll probably feel the same way on day 3, as well. Day 5 is the only big muscle day that's the same throughout the entire P90X timeline.

noah111

Still Alive
mm04 said:
Staying on schedule at first is very difficult. But like any exercise program, prioritizing that commitment is huge. Once you get into the rhythm, you'll find yourself scheduling things around your workout, as opposed to the opposite. Trust me, when you start seeing the results in the mirror, it changes everything. It will become more important to you than sleeping in or going out drinking or partying. The more intermittent your exercise pattern becomes, the easier it will be to just stop altogether.

It's hard at first because you don't visually see any improvement, all you feel is pain, but you have to stick with it. Otherwise it'll end up being a short term venture and failure. A co-worker of mine completely sold me on P90X when he told me his results. He lost 30 pounds over about 120 days. I didn't need that kind of weight loss (8 pounds so far, but more muscle mass), but in order for me to drop 10 pounds in the past, it was dieting and calorie counting. Which sucked. Going to sleep hungry, is not fun. Now I have to make sure I eat enough, so that I'm not starving my muscles. Much more gratifying. Plus, I'm not headed towards thin. I'm headed towards toned.

Anyway, I'm not sure if my little wall of text was inspirational or not, but if you continue on, you won't regret it. If you quit, it's likely that you will.
It certainly was, all of your posts in this thread are incredible helpful. And in my situation, I think it's just really shitty luck of timing. My life is usually super boring with no plans that are too hectic, which is why I was looking forward to adding something in my daily routine (P90X). Now I need to go to a 'village' to see family which I haven't for a long while, and I wish I could fit in a workout there but there aren't the right tools/space.

When I start up again in a few days i'm going to be sticking to the schedule, I can't foresee anything afterwards that'll stop me. In the mean time, i'm still trying to stay active so it won't be so daunting when I return.

Just ordered P90X and waiting for it to arrive. The thought of pirating the dvds and getting pdfs of the guides crossed my mind, but it would already feel like cheating/failure ;)

Guardian Bob said:
Just ordered P90X and waiting for it to arrive. The thought of pirating the dvds and getting pdfs of the guides crossed my mind, but it would already feel like cheating/failure ;)
I am doing the original Power 90 but once gave p90x to a friend, the nutrition guide is excellent

6th day doing the original p90 and realized that I needed to take the time to make sure I am doing the exercises right. In this case it's especially the sit-ups. I never realized how much my elbows get thrown around, how I put pressure on my head and how I move my knees so I don't really crunch the abs and obliques

Now I feel like I'm gonna vomit

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Just noticed that there is a P90X proper app made by the BeachBody folks. Looks like you have to individually buy each workout, and the grand total can come out to something like $60. Seems to be the full program with tracking sheets and nutrition and all that.

Haven't checked it out...but may be worth looking into for some folks?

mm04

RubxQub said:
Just noticed that there is a P90X proper app made by the BeachBody folks. Looks like you have to individually buy each workout, and the grand total can come out to something like $60. Seems to be the full program with tracking sheets and nutrition and all that.

I don't go that far with what I do. I basically created a simple spreadsheet in Excel where I enter what I eat per day with a calorie estimate per meal, along with what exercise routine I did that day and for how long. It really just gives me a good idea of what I've been doing so I can track any changes. I do this on my phone. I also have the P90X schedule on PDF on my phone and just recently started using the Livestrong.com Calorie Tracker app as well.

I haven't been writing down my reps or anything during this entire round. Just kinda repping till failure or pausing the DVDs and making sure I'm using enough resistance to get me between 8 and 12 reps. So far so good, for me. In round two (not stopping after 90 days), I'm going to make some changes with what I've learned, but I know I won't be disappointed with my results after the first 90 days. Tomorrow is day 60 and I'm pretty happy with what I see in the mirror so far.

Chittagong

Gold Member
RubxQub said:

It looks amazing, too bad it's not available in the UK:

p90x1.jpg

p90x2.jpg

p90x3.jpg

p90x4.jpg

p90x5.jpg

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I use an app called Fit90 CE to track my P90X routines on my phone. All the exercises and routines are pre-loaded, but called different names due to legal reasons.

Easy to enter notes, weights and reps for all things, though. Doesn't look to offer all the same functionality as the actual P90 app, but it gets the job done.

Ydahs

Looks like I'll have to modify my phase 2 plan. Started football training yesterday and it was a killer. Might leave Mondays only for training, move shoulders, tri and chest to Tuesday and replace Kenpo with Plyo on Saturday. That means only on Wednesdays I'll be doing both p90x and training. If I can't manage that, I'll move backs and biceps to Sunday.

RubxQub said:

It is a blatant money grab.

noah111

Still Alive
OK I am back, had to stop after just two days due to unscheduled unlucky timing of travel, but now i'm back and I just finished day two (plyo) a few hours ago. It was fun actually.

Day one was easier than before, but still a bitch to get through near the end. Good times. :D

PS. That app looks AWESOME, I watch the exercise videos on my iPhone as I do them.

Just finished my first Plyometric. Wasn't too bad; I could mostly keep up and stopped a couple seconds before everyone else. I think if I get my knees up higher most of the time and touch the ground more consistently THEN it will be a workout.

Also, I drank way too much water before doing Plyo, and I regret it.

mm04

Halfway through week 10, and thinking back, I really didn't think at the start of the program I'd be making as much progress as I am now. I've got the makings of a 4 pack (I doubt I'll get 6 pack abs this round) and visible muscle fiber definition on my chest. Getting compliments from folks and inquiries as to what I'm doing to get fit, so that's a good motivator to "bring it" even more. I've dropped a shirt size and a pant size as well, so now I've got to buy some new clothes.

I've read that other P90X grads say that you get most of your results in Phase 3, and so far, it seems to be the case for me. In the last 12 days, I've lost almost 4 pounds, when I was losing probably a half pound per week on average during Phases 1 and 2. My initial goal weight was 170, but now I think I can stand to shed maybe 5 more pounds of fat while gaining muscle. I'm finding now, not surprisingly, that my workouts are getting better and better, including Ab Ripper X. That's a natural progression, but it does wonders for your confidence and motivation when you feel like you're killing a particular exercise that you would struggle with previously.

For those of you who find it slow going, just remember that if you're putting in an honest effort and consistently working out, the results will come with some patience. Eventually, you'll see the difference in the mirror and that's when your switch will flip to becoming truly committed to it.

mm04

I have at least another round of Classic in me before I jump onto something new. You all can educate us on it in the meantime!

Looking to start a program. Should I try P90 first instead of P90X? I bike to school everyday but I'm not really in shape.

Is there a "getting started" guide? I can make room in the basement. Just not sure how to schedule a routine. Cheers.

noah111

Still Alive
Guardian Bob said:
Anyone else's lower back hurt when they do Ab Ripper X? I'm new, so it could be my weakness, but I just wanted to ask anyway.
I just did day3 today (shoulders & arms) and the ab ripper was brutal near the end, I loved it. That last 50 knuckle side to side thing, that hurt my lower back a little but I kept going and didn't stop.

I think ab ripper is the funnest work since you really feel it in your stomach, it's like you KNOW change is a brewing in there. Also, shoulders & arms was crazy, i've never felt my triceps like that before.

mm04

Sentry said:
I just did day3 today (shoulders & arms) and the ab ripper was brutal near the end, I loved it. That last 50 knuckle side to side thing, that hurt my lower back a little but I kept going and didn't stop.

I think ab ripper is the funnest work since you really feel it in your stomach, it's like you KNOW change is a brewing in there. Also, shoulders & arms was crazy, i've never felt my triceps like that before.

Wait till you get to the Phase 2 workout where you concentrate on those triceps for a good part of the routine.

Ab Ripper definitely is something that you should not skip on. I have definition in my abs now that I never had to this level before. I don't have 6 pack definition yet, but it's a goal of mine that I didn't think was achievable 10 weeks ago. Now I think I may get there in a few months.

Tell us how you like Yoga-X. That's today's workout for you and Yoga Belly 7. I've mentioned this before, but I only do the first 45 minutes and the last 15 minutes. That seems to work for me as 90 minutes is a bit much for my liking. Tomorrow will be tough, as it's legs and back. So lots of lunges/pull-ups. Your legs will be pretty toasted after. Keep going, you can rest on Sunday ;).

Sentry said:

Cool, we started the same day. I'm looking forward to Yoga. What I lack in core strength I make up for in flexibility at least.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Since I have Cyclist's Palsy now and I'm taking time off to recover from that, and I've decided to hold off on going back to training BJJ until after I finish getting fit (so that I can go straight for working toward competitions, and so that I'm injured less frequently when I train), I'm going to give P90x a shot for finishing up the home stretch of my long-overdue fitness goals. I've been doing pullups and pushups a bunch and some running, but this should kick my ass enough volume-wise to make faster progress.

Not going to follow the included nutrition plan, whatever it says, but I'll eat clean, 2000-2500 kcal, high protein, shouldn't be an issue.

Guess I need some dumbbells!

mm04

EviLore said:
Not going to follow the included nutrition plan, whatever it says, but I'll eat clean, 2000-2500 kcal, high protein, shouldn't be an issue.

That's pretty much what I do. I stay around that range and just don't eat terribly bad things. Working out fine, so far.

I've found that I typically need odd weights for dumbbells to get in that 8 to 10 range for reps. Like 25, 15 or 5, depending on what the exercise is. I have a weight set, but only 10 pound increments for me.

I haven't really followed the nutrition plan religiously either. Firstly, there is a lot of fish and I'm not a fish guy, lol. Second, I try and eat only 1700-2000 calories a day anyway. I think I will try to follow it more closely from now on; to get better results.

Has anyone had issues with bands? I'm thinking of picking some up tonight.

OG Kush

Guardian Bob said:
I haven't really followed the nutrition plan religiously either. Firstly, there is a lot of fish and I'm not a fish guy, lol. Second, I try and eat only 1700-2000 calories a day anyway. I think I will try to follow it more closely from now on; to get better results.

Yeah as long as you eat clean, high protein etc should be fine. No need to follow their nuritonal plan toa a tee.
I have bands and dumbells. Only got the bands after month1 though and atleast to me I much prefer dumbells. It just feels better to me. Could all be pyschological though.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
EviLore said:
Since I have Cyclist's Palsy now and I'm taking time off to recover from that, and I've decided to hold off on going back to training BJJ until after I finish getting fit (so that I can go straight for working toward competitions, and so that I'm injured less frequently when I train), I'm going to give P90x a shot for finishing up the home stretch of my long-overdue fitness goals. I've been doing pullups and pushups a bunch and some running, but this should kick my ass enough volume-wise to make faster progress.

I'll help you out.

I copied this diet from a fitness model magazine. Stick to this shit, example of a person that eats like this. NotReallySFW http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/ChickenTuna/ MMMM MMM MMM.

BASE DIET

dietbase001hg80k.png

Throw in advocados/bananas/brown rice into the mix to add more calories, I have been eating like this for the past 2 days and I feel REALLY good now.

I recommend this "diet" to anyone, just buy the fucking food and eat it. Stop eating bad, diet is 90% of the work IMO.

Also don't go by the hours lol, it's my schedule that forces me to eat at those times lol...

Life is goooood maaan.

mm04

Guardian Bob said:

I specifically use bands when I've bombed out on pull-ups and simply can't do anymore with good form, but still feel like I have some effort left in me. I find it a good mix going from the pull-up bar to simulated pull-ups with an anchored band or two if needed. It doesn't hurt to have more options if you can afford it.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I just ate 1 serving of the greek yogurt for the first time...

Man I need to find a replacement for that thing, it tastes like fucking philly cream cheese.

I CAN use that thing on my sandwiches as a condiment LOL... But eating it just like that is a nono for me, also its little bit sour.

That thing is like $4 a can (2 servings per and a lot of protein)

Slayer-33 said:
I just ate 1 serving of the greek yogurt for the first time...

Man I need to find a replacement for that thing, it tastes like fucking philly cream cheese.

I CAN use that thing on my sandwiches as a condiment LOL... But eating it just like that is a nono for me, also its little bit sour.

That thing is like $4 a can (2 servings per and a lot of protein)
Mmm, I could eat cream cheese right out of the container. What brand did you get? It is usually pretty sour. Mix it with some dill and it's a great greek style sauce. A recent favorite combo of mine is to mix it with salami, cucumbers, and fresh dill.

You can also throw protein powder in it. I've only used chocolate and vanilla although I bet strawberry would be good too.

Top Bottom