• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

mm04

Guys I just did the first workout of p90x and I found out just how horrible I am at exercising. Like, I knew push ups and pull ups would be difficult for me, but I didn't think I would be this bad. For the first set of push-ups, I did like 20 in a minute. Then they throw like 5 other variations of push-ups and that number just kept going down. And then they have you do it all over again. Tony kept saying "push through the burn" blah blah blah, but there was no burn for me to feel because I simply couldn't do it. I was fatiguing on the first push-up toward the end, and I simply wasn't able to do the last set of diamond push-ups and some other one. So on my worksheet I seriously just wrote "1" or "2" for the number of reps I did, while the people in the video did 30+. Also, I can only do like 3 assisted pull-ups.

I probably should have started with regular P90. I greatly underestimated how weak I actually am.

I love reading stuff like this. I QUIT the very first workout at the halfway point, I was so blown out and gassed. Tony says "Okay, now we're gonna do the entire set all over again!". Thought I was gonna pass out. But the next day, I soldiered through Plyo and I haven't missed a scheduled workout in 16 weeks. Don't give up. You'll regret it if you do.

Pyrokai

This is 100% normal. Hell, when i started p90x the first time I did about 10 "real" non-knees push-ups in the entire first workout. At the end of the program I did 100.

My tip is when you can't do a normal push up anymore, go to your knees for as many more as you can do. Make sure the first set through you do pace yourself though, as you have to do them all again.

As for pull-ups, I still can't really do them. I started doing 0 my first p90x go around and maybe could do 5 at the end. Those are a weak point for me though.

As Tony says, quality over quantity. Just do as many as you can with good form (even if it's just 1 of each type) and rest.

yes, knees definitely. I use my knees once i can't do straight ones anymore and note it on my sheet when i do knee pushups.

Pyrokai, don't get discouraged. Most of the people in the dvd already finished the program.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'm relieved to hear this! You know, I never even THOUGHT of doing knee push-ups! I just tried to do every push up they wanted me to the proper way. I'll have to give that a try for sure. Duh, me!

RevDM

Banned
Everytime I walk through the Dick's Sporting Goods fitness section I come across these red foam rollers that have spirals on the outsides and come in different degrees of flex. They look so awesome that I want to buy them despite having no idea how I'd use them.

...and I can't find them anywhere online without remembering the brand it seems.

But they look cool, damnit!

Rumble Rollers?

large.jpg

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Tomorrow is Plyo.

Guys... should we tell him or let him find out for himself?

Plyo is the only workout I still can't do all the way through. I have to take a break in the middle around about the point where you're doing runner stance touch jump spins. Oh god... I just about swooned thinking about it.

dont judge yourself by what they are doing. Especially your first month, let alone your first week. if you were able to do 25 of each exercise in ab ripper X on your first day i'd assume you are already quite in shape

Yeah, don't judge yourself at all about how many you can and can't do. Just do them with good form. P90X works kind of the way compound interest works. I'm 16/17 days in and seeing results. I feel stronger, I can do more, and I feel healthier, but I still have a long way to go. It'll be nice to look back after I finish P90X classic and start my next routine to see how far I've come.

Jezan

Guys... should we tell him or let him find out for himself?

Plyo is the only workout I still can't do all the way through. I have to take a break in the middle around about the point where you're doing runner stance touch jump spins. Oh god... I just about swooned thinking about it.

Yeah, don't judge yourself at all about how many you can and can't do. Just do them with good form. P90X works kind of the way compound interest works. I'm 16/17 days in and seeing results. I feel stronger, I can do more, and I feel healthier, but I still have a long way to go. It'll be nice to look back after I finish P90X classic and start my next routine to see how far I've come.
He should find out :)

Plyo makes me suffer :(

Ydahs

Plyo is an amazing work out. Love it.

Guys I just did the first workout of p90x and I found out just how horrible I am at exercising. Like, I knew push ups and pull ups would be difficult for me, but I didn't think I would be this bad. For the first set of push-ups, I did like 20 in a minute. Then they throw like 5 other variations of push-ups and that number just kept going down. And then they have you do it all over again. Tony kept saying "push through the burn" blah blah blah, but there was no burn for me to feel because I simply couldn't do it. I was fatiguing on the first push-up toward the end, and I simply wasn't able to do the last set of diamond push-ups and some other one. So on my worksheet I seriously just wrote "1" or "2" for the number of reps I did, while the people in the video did 30+. Also, I can only do like 3 assisted pull-ups.

I probably should have started with regular P90. I greatly underestimated how weak I actually am.

Ab Ripper X was a little better for me but I still suck. I usually did 10-20 reps of each exercise and they wanted a target of 25. Baby steps, I guess. I also think I need heavier weights than the 12 pound ones I bought, which kinda sucks because they weren't cheap, but the lawnmowers and such were a little easy for me, and I know they shouldn't be

Tomorrow is Plyo. We'll see how that goes. Anything with my legs is probably going to be easiest for me since my legs are the most in-shape part of me since I run a lot and always walking at work.

Also, my recovery drink is awesome. I got cookies and cream whey and mixed it with milk. So good.

As many have said, this is normal. You're not meant to keep up with the video at the beginning. That's what you're trying to build up to! Believe me, by the end of week one you'll be feeling sore all over. But the end of phase one, you'll be thanking yourself for keeping on after seeing the results.

koam

I did all of P90X about 2 years ago. I picked up P90X2 last week, I'm on day 2 right now.

Early impressions:

WTF is the noob shit?

Seriously, this is extremely easy (compared to P90X) so far.

Day 1 was X2 Core which is a whole bunch of easy stretches mixed with a few more complicated moves but nothing crazy. I had to stop at some point though because I was missing too many of the equipment (which by the way, they shove down your throat the whole time, you pretty much need the rumble roller, an exercise ball and like 3 medicine balls so don't by the basic version)

Day 2, is plyocide which is an altered versions of the easiest moves of Plyometrics, except, it's only 15 moves total with 5 breaks and a 12-14 minute long cool down which is essentially 4 easy yoga moves. Really? 12 minutes of cool down? Come on.

I look at day 3 thinking "okay this is where it gets harder right?" RECOVERY AND MOBILITY.. Recover from what? I feel like I can do day 1 and 2 back to back and still get less of a workout than the p90x equivalents.

To P90X2's defense, most of the moves are brand new so you can make your own workout comprised of P90x and P90X2. Also, I like how there's a stronger focus on abs this time around so you don't need ab ripper x at the end of every other workout.

Has anyone done a week yet? Please tell me it gets much harder.

koam

Do you have the stability ball? If you are doing P90X2 without a stability ball, you are doing it wrong.

I do, the only two things that I'm missing are the rumble roller (which beachbody doesn't seem to sell on their site as a standalone) and the medicine balls. I went to the local store and they're $59 a pop.. yikes.

Pyrokai

Encouraging words, guys. Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely stick with it. And I'll keep in mind this ominous talk of Plyo I keep seeing when I tackle it tomorrow ;)

My other big hurdle has been food. I've figured out how to eat at this point (thanks to some of you here), but I just haven't made it to the grocery store. So on my first day of p90x I had a nice breakfast, but my lunch and dinner weren't so good. Not a good way to start the diet in conjunction with the workouts. Definitely need to change that tomorrow and get to the grocery store asap after I finish Plyometrics.

Ill Saint

I did all of P90X about 2 years ago. I picked up P90X2 last week, I'm on day 2 right now.

Early impressions:

WTF is the noob shit?

Day 1 was X2 Core which is a whole bunch of easy stretches mixed with a few more complicated moves but nothing crazy. I had to stop at some point though because I was missing too many of the equipment (which by the way, they shove down your throat the whole time, you pretty much need the rumble roller, an exercise ball and like 3 medicine balls so don't by the basic version)

Day 2, is plyocide which is an altered versions of the easiest moves of Plyometrics, except, it's only 15 moves total with 5 breaks and a 12-14 minute long cool down which is essentially 4 easy yoga moves. Really? 12 minutes of cool down? Come on.

I look at day 3 thinking "okay this is where it gets harder right?" RECOVERY AND MOBILITY.. Recover from what? I feel like I can do day 1 and 2 back to back and still get less of a workout than the p90x equivalents.

To P90X2's defense, most of the moves are brand new so you can make your own workout comprised of P90x and P90X2. Also, I like how there's a stronger focus on abs this time around so you don't need ab ripper x at the end of every other workout.

I dunno. I'm pretty in good shape, but the first week had me sweating like crazy, and my core was beaten into submission. My balance and stability was far from perfect, and some of those stability ball balance moves were seriously challenging to do with good form. I can tell I've got a lot of work to do to master these moves.

Are you doing the exercises with perfect form and maximum intensity? I think the answer to your question lies there.

Alfarif

Encouraging words, guys. Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely stick with it. And I'll keep in mind this ominous talk of Plyo I keep seeing when I tackle it tomorrow ;)

My other big hurdle has been food. I've figured out how to eat at this point (thanks to some of you here), but I just haven't made it to the grocery store. So on my first day of p90x I had a nice breakfast, but my lunch and dinner weren't so good. Not a good way to start the diet in conjunction with the workouts. Definitely need to change that tomorrow and get to the grocery store asap after I finish Plyometrics.

You'll get there. I still have stuff I bought before changing to an all poultry diet like italian sausages and maple sausages and stuff that I consume on cheat days (and sometimes off) because I don't want to waste the food. I just do an extra 10-15 minutes of cardio at the end of my standard workout to compensate.

Eating right is a big part of it, but getting up and just DOING something is way WAY better than doing nothing at all.

rkn

Early impressions:

WTF is the noob shit?

Did 2.5 rounds of P90X last year, took Nov/Dec off to hit X2 with full force, so I'm a little out of shape, but it's pretty tough still, granted it isn't day 1 chest and back beat you over the head with how weak you are, but I'm sore all over, rather than just my arms.

On that note, how much give should the stability ball have, I'm having major problems keeping it steady when doing something like the balance kick backs, gonna try and pump it up some more, but damn its pretty solid now.

Sipowicz

Banned
I just do my yoga on the carpet, I don't see the need for a mat unless you have hard floor. Yoga block is very helpful aswell, atleast for me because I'm not that flexible. If you've done yoga before or already flexible you may not need it.
btw I also recommend push up bars. You get an extra 6 inches deeper from them. Any decent protein shake will do. Supplements upto you I guess. I take fish oil+multivitamin and some other one for joint support.

My feet tend to slip in certain positions when I do yoga on the carpet, so i like using a yoga mat for that extra grip.

thanks guys. i think i'm going to avoid the yoga mat. do i still need a resistance band?

my only other question is regarding protein shakes and other supplements. one of my colleagues at work has recommended the following for working out

Whey protein shake with Creatine and HMB in
L-Glutamine
Dextrose to add to POST workout shake to refill Glycogen levels and help repair.

I take fish oil capsules and multivitamin on a daily basis already

does this sound alright? when would i take these shakes? and what difference would they make to my nutrition plan

Pyrokai

You'll get there. I still have stuff I bought before changing to an all poultry diet like italian sausages and maple sausages and stuff that I consume on cheat days (and sometimes off) because I don't want to waste the food. I just do an extra 10-15 minutes of cardio at the end of my standard workout to compensate.

Eating right is a big part of it, but getting up and just DOING something is way WAY better than doing nothing at all.

How closely did you follow the diet guidelines as far as level 1, level 2, and level 3? I actually haven't measured my body fat percentage yet to figure out where I should be. Need to find a fat caliper...

Edit: Oh, and what should my caloric intake per day be? If I use an assistant like livestrong.com that tracks calories, should I have it set to "maintain current body weight" if I'm skinny, yet have what I *think* is about 15% body fat (unless that number seems off, it's a really rough estimate based on weight and waste size), or should I have it set to be something like "lose .5 pounds a week" and strive for the phase 1 ratio of proteins, carbs, and fats?

Edit2: Also, I don't usually input exercise, so I'm thinking I should have it set to be "maintain current weight" if I don't input exercise. I mostly care about the ratio of the food I'm eating, but I don't want to over-eat or under-eat either.

mm04

How closely did you follow the diet guidelines as far as level 1, level 2, and level 3? I actually haven't measured my body fat percentage yet to figure out where I should be. Need to find a fat caliper...

Edit: Oh, and what should my caloric intake per day be? If I use an assistant like livestrong.com that tracks calories, should I have it set to "maintain current body weight" if I'm skinny, yet have what I *think* is about 15% body fat (unless that number seems off, it's a really rough estimate based on weight and waste size), or should I have it set to be something like "lose .5 pounds a week" and strive for the phase 1 ratio of proteins, carbs, and fats?

Edit2: Also, I don't usually input exercise, so I'm thinking I should have it set to be "maintain current weight" if I don't input exercise. I mostly care about the ratio of the food I'm eating, but I don't want to over-eat or under-eat either.

I didn't follow the guide much. I only used the calorie intake recommendation for my weight in the book and stayed around there. I use the Livestrong app and enter in 0 calories, but enter workout routine name and duration.

Pyrokai

I didn't follow the guide much. I only used the calorie intake recommendation for my weight in the book and stayed around there. I use the Livestrong app and enter in 0 calories, but enter workout routine name and duration.

So it looks like I need to do that calorie thing in the book :p . You're talking about the nutrition guide book, right? And what do you mean you entered 0 calories? You just don't log the food and only exercise? Sorry for being dense :p

Anyway guys, I did Plyometrics for the first time today. I actually didn't think it was that bad. I extended the breaks to about a 1.5 minutes instead of 30 seconds, added a couple breaks, too, but other than that I felt like I was able to keep up. Cardio is my strong suit. Endurance and strength is my weakness, I'm finding out. Probably because I've never really lifted weights before.

Also, I'm really going to try to keep to the diet today, too. I had the protein drink post-workout like yesterday, and for breakfast I had some Greek yogurt, a banana, and some coffee. For lunch I have my heart set on a chef salad with light Italian dressing. Dinner I have no idea. Going to the grocery store after lunch, though!

mm04

So it looks like I need to do that calorie thing in the book :p . You're talking about the nutrition guide book, right? And what do you mean you entered 0 calories? You just don't log the food and only exercise? Sorry for being dense :p

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. Yes, I mean the nutrition guide. For my weight at the start of the program, it suggested I consume 2400 calories daily. I dropped it to 2200. I use Livestrong to count calories and track my eating habits. I also use it to track my past/current weight and exercise routines/time spent. For exercise, I always enter zero calories burned. For my goal per week, I select lose 1lb a week, although that's not my ideal goal. I typically strive for .5lb a week or so. Livestrong will adjust your suggested calorie intake based upon your current weight. I still do consume protein shakes 4 times a week after working out and I used to do Greek yogurt as well.

What I've been doing for 16 weeks has worked perfectly fine for me. I'm currently 5'10" 165lbs with muscle definition. I have a little bit of work to do on my lower abs, but that's always the last to go. I think I'll get there eventually. If I had followed the nutrition plan to a T, maybe I'd already be there. But I enjoy my eating habits now and it seems to be working for me. I never planned on quitting the program after my first 90 days anyway. About 30 days in, I knew I was in it for the long haul. That's really the only way to stay truly fit.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Rumble Rollers?

http://m1.mattters.com/youtube/93OIfOzQKhM/large.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

No, although those looks crazy, too. These literally look like embossed versions of a barbershop twirly cylinder thing only entirely red.

Next time I'm at a Dick's I'll try and make a note of what they are, but they looked awesome.

RevDM

Banned
Insanity - Cardio Power & Resistance killed me

half way through the warm up I felt I couldn't breath because I had a lot of mucous in my airway. I coughed up the thickest clear mucous ever. I couldn't even spit it out it was so thick. Drank some water then was good to go. Any idea what caused that? I stay well hydrated but sometimes that happens to me and can't figure out what it is. Before Insanity, it would happen when I had my heart rate up on the treadmill and was doing fast mouth breathing.

koam

Okay so I mentioned that the first two days of p90x2 were easy (compared to p90x). Today, i jumped ahead to chest and back and mobility to see what the harder stuff is like..

Whaaaaaaaattt

First of all, with the exception of maybe one or two moves, everything is new. Second, whaaaat? The pull ups are way harder; you do pull ups and use your legs at the same time, i.e crunches, l-shape pull ups. For the pushups, you're doing pushups on medicine balls and exercise balls. It's absolutely crazy, I was scared I was going to fall on my face the whole time. Once you get the form, it gets a bit easier and if you've done p90x before, it shouldn't be too crazy since you're used to massive amounts of pullups and pushups. The mobility aspect is a whole new layer. I could actually feel my abs and all sorts of little muscles trying to keep my body in place. It puts chest and back from p90x to shame.

Only problem, who on earth has 4 medicine balls?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
IMG_20120106_172136.jpg

I'm all set to start Monday!

I only wish the two rest days were back to back since I always have a hard time getting motivated on weekends, but I'm doing this!

Just went grocery shopping and got some spaghetti squash, eggs, tuna, and chicken for the week. Got Greek yogurt and some turkey kielbasa for breakfasts at work, and soups for lunch.

Going to try to make some Thai turkey burgers and Italian meatball soup this weekend too.

Lost 20 pounds on p90x while eating average to bad, I'm hoping to lose 30 this time with my changed diet. :p

Alfarif

I have actually NOT followed the diet guidelines. I've just been doing my own thing but I'm seeing results and I feel GOOD instead of fat and lazy. I basically adopted the eating habits I had about ten years ago when I stopped eating red meats, ate two or three chicken breasts a day, lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and drank nothing but water. That was probably the healthiest I've ever felt in my life, so I'm back to that lifestyle. But, this time, I'm doing P90X since I'm no longer playing sports of any kind.

My caloric intake is roughly 1,800, give or take 100-200 a day. I haven't been feeling hungry and I'm seeing noticeable muscle growth (I am aware of the noob effect, though). I'm at the tale end of Level 1 I believe so my eating habits might have to change at the next step. Since all of my fat (and I mean ALL of my fat) was concentrated in my stomach, what I lose in fat I replace in muscle. I've lost about 8 pounds overall but I think I'll end up sitting at 155 from 168 when all is said and done. I'm more concerned with my body fat percentage, which I have no way of measuring at the moment, but I can say that things are changing... I'm down to the last loop in my belt... ten years ago, I had to make a hole in my belt because I was so thin.

How much do you weigh and how tall are you?

Recon

Banned
I am about to start P90X, and was wondering about the difference between frozen and canned vegetables. Is it significant, or can I save a bunch of money and just go with canned?

Hairtux

Okay so I mentioned that the first two days of p90x2 were easy (compared to p90x). Today, i jumped ahead to chest and back and mobility to see what the harder stuff is like..

Whaaaaaaaattt

First of all, with the exception of maybe one or two moves, everything is new. Second, whaaaat? The pull ups are way harder; you do pull ups and use your legs at the same time, i.e crunches, l-shape pull ups. For the pushups, you're doing pushups on medicine balls and exercise balls. It's absolutely crazy, I was scared I was going to fall on my face the whole time. Once you get the form, it gets a bit easier and if you've done p90x before, it shouldn't be too crazy since you're used to massive amounts of pullups and pushups. The mobility aspect is a whole new layer. I could actually feel my abs and all sorts of little muscles trying to keep my body in place. It puts chest and back from p90x to shame.

Only problem, who on earth has 4 medicine balls?

Before you posted this followup I was just about to tell you that P90X2 will get a lot harder later on. It does a better job easing you into the workouts than P90X. And if you do core correctly you will definitely feel it in your abs.

Also, you don't need any of the extra shit and while they try to sell you the balls/rollers/whatnot during the videos, they also always have a guy using no extra equipment, just like P90X. All I have ever used are weights (bowflex select-tec) and a pull-up bar and that is all you really need.

thetechkid

Before you posted this followup I was just about to tell you that P90X2 will get a lot harder later on. It does a better job easing you into the workouts than P90X. And if you do core correctly you will definitely feel it in your abs.

Also, you don't need any of the extra shit and while they try to sell you the balls/rollers/whatnot during the videos, they also always have a guy using no extra equipment, just like P90X. All I have ever used are weights (bowflex select-tec) and a pull-up bar and that is all you really need.

The bands still work in place of the pull up bar for p90x2?

grumble

thanks guys. i think i'm going to avoid the yoga mat. do i still need a resistance band?

my only other question is regarding protein shakes and other supplements. one of my colleagues at work has recommended the following for working out

Whey protein shake with Creatine and HMB in
L-Glutamine
Dextrose to add to POST workout shake to refill Glycogen levels and help repair.

I take fish oil capsules and multivitamin on a daily basis already

does this sound alright? when would i take these shakes? and what difference would they make to my nutrition plan

Well, whey already has a lot of glutamine in it (it's a very common dietary amino acid), so you might not need to add it in separately. As for the dextrose, protein already spikes up your insulin levels and will drive any carbs into glycogen stores. REsearch doesn't show that dextrose shakes immediately post-workout increases glycogen levels more after 24 hours than just eating normally, so I'm not sure you need that either. The whey shake sounds good to me. Chocolate milk is a phenomenal mixer with the whey protein.

Ydahs

Day 90 COMPLETE

Just took the final body shots and compared it to day one. Wow. If anyone is half way through this program and is thinking of quitting, do not! You will be pleased with the end results.

Tomorrow is my official weigh in, but I don't think I've dropped this last phase. Though judging from the images, I've put on some muscle, so I probably did lose a quite a bit of fat. Not stopping now! I want to see those abs ;)

The exciting part is that I'm starting some serious cardio training in a couple of weeks, so hopefully I can lose a couple of kilos by March. In the mean time? Five day beach trip :D

Just like to say thanks to all the GAFers who have helped and posted their progress throughout my time doing it. Reading other people's progress has really motivated me and allowed me to push through it all.

P90X2 at the end of this year? Either that or Insanity :)

mm04

Day 90 COMPLETE

Congrats! It's a great feeling. It's awesome that you don't view it as the end of a journey, but something you'll be continuing. That mirror is a powerful thing. Once you start seeing that real progress, you start moving the goalposts BACK, not forward. You believe you can do more and get in even better physical condition. Good job.

Just did Day 1.
Chest and Back + Ab Ripper X.

Fuck me. I could barely do the first part of C/B and I had to skip out on part 2. I can't lift my arms x_x.

I did ok on Ab Ripper X.

This is normal right?? My chest/shoulders are probably my weakest muscles in my body. Hoping to do good tomorrow.

mm04

Just did Day 1.

Fuck me. I could barely do the first part of C/B and I had to skip out on part 2. I can't lift my arms x_x.

I did ok on Ab Ripper X.

This is normal right?? My chest/shoulders are probably my weakest muscles in my body. Hoping to do good tomorrow.

That's exactly what happened to me, so yes it's normal. I literally thought I was going to pass out and had to lie down after the first 30 minutes. I just finished my day 115 workout, so there is hope. Just pace yourself. Realize that the speed and number of reps the people are doing on the DVD is exactly why THEY are on the DVD and people like us are not. Don't be afraid to take longer breaks in between sets as well. I did that for the first couple of weeks until I no longer needed to for the most part. Sometimes I still add an extra 30 seconds or so just before the a pull-up set because I don't want to be winded while trying to maintain good form.

Wrekt

I think I'm done with P90X2. The amount of balance moves across these videos is stupid. I'm picking up wrist issues from constantly falling off of these stability and medicine balls. Even when I do the modified versions, they are awkward and I'm just going through the motions without engaging the intended muscles. I'm going to go through the remaining videos to see if they are worth weaving into a P90X routine, but X2 Core, ARX2 and X2 Balance are awful.

NYR

I think I'm done with P90X2. The amount of balance moves across these videos is stupid. I'm picking up wrist issues from constantly falling off of these stability and medicine balls. Even when I do the modified versions, they are awkward and I'm just going through the motions without engaging the intended muscles. I'm going to go through the remaining videos to see if they are worth weaving into a P90X routine, but X2 Core, ARX2 and X2 Balance are awful.

P90x2 has been marketed as a strength and balance program since day 1.

My main thing is trying to find things to eat. I hate so much healthy things, like salads, nuts, carrots, etc. I try to balance it around chicken breast/fish, soup, fruit, but who wants to eat dry 6-inch wheat subs from Subway for the rest of their life? This isn't so much a diet as a lifestyle change.

OG Kush

My main thing is trying to find things to eat. I hate so much healthy things, like salads, nuts, carrots, etc. I try to balance it around chicken breast/fish, soup, fruit, but who wants to eat dry 6-inch wheat subs from Subway for the rest of their life? This isn't so much a diet as a lifestyle change.

I heard even these are not good for you. loaded with sodium.

hmmm tempted to try this, what i like more than any physical gains is the diet and food regime.

obviously i want to get buff but im not even that bothered. recently i've had health problems with my stomach, getting nauseous after not eating enough, eating ridiculously low amounts throughout the day etc.

any feedback from any users on here that have tried it and it has improved the way THEY feel?

RevDM

Banned
I've found that adding raw onions to my veggies/sandwhiches gives me the sensation of having a substantial meal because the onion tastes stays in the mouth for a while.

Day 2 Just did Plyometrix and I could only do half of it. My legs are dead. x_x

This is good though.. least if I can do more next week, means there is some positive change..

RevDM

Banned
Insanity - Pure Cardio

I kept pushing and pushing, telling myself I can break during the 30 second cool down....

But the 30 second cool down never came...

why Shaun, WHY?!?

yuno.jpg

FOOTE

Insanity - Pure Cardio

I kept pushing and pushing, telling myself I can break during the 30 second cool down....

But the 30 second cool down never came...

why Shaun, WHY?!?

http://proxy01.heello.com/full/yuno.jpg?1313024232[IMG][/QUOTE]

:lol

Changed my days a bit after skipping Kenpo so I'm set to do Plyox in a few minutes. Hope it's a bit better than last week.

Alfarif

Just did Day 1.

I did ok on Ab Ripper X.

Completely normal.

I'm on day 21 now and when I started, I couldn't make it through chest and back at ALL. I'm not doing 7 pull ups on the bar pretty easily. I also can do the intended 25 reps for each exercise in Ab Ripper X now without stopping. Yeah, my abs still burn and feel like they're going to roll up, but I'm feeling the results and seeing them. It feels so damned good to not look like I'm fucking PREGNANT anymore.

koam

Why do you need 4? Is 1 for each hand and then 1 for each foot? I don't understand.

Apparently you do, that's exactly it. You're doing pushups and both hands and feet are on medicine balls.

I just did Balance and Power. This one is a killer. Again, it's mobility hell and I did fall off the ball once. While the first two days of p90x were disappointing in terms of how hard they were (as in, they felt easy) I did feel a lot more sore in areas that never felt sore in p90x2. The other 2 days (i'm not following the proper schedule yet, i'm just trying out the dvds to get a feel for the program) were brutal.

So far:

X2 Core > Core X
Plyo X >> X2 Plyocide
X2 Chest and Back and Balance >>>> Chest and Back X
X2 Power and Balance > There's no equivalent in P90x, it's legs, some chest and abs.

Pyrokai

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. Yes, I mean the nutrition guide. For my weight at the start of the program, it suggested I consume 2400 calories daily. I dropped it to 2200. I use Livestrong to count calories and track my eating habits. I also use it to track my past/current weight and exercise routines/time spent. For exercise, I always enter zero calories burned. For my goal per week, I select lose 1lb a week, although that's not my ideal goal. I typically strive for .5lb a week or so. Livestrong will adjust your suggested calorie intake based upon your current weight. I still do consume protein shakes 4 times a week after working out and I used to do Greek yogurt as well.

What I've been doing for 16 weeks has worked perfectly fine for me. I'm currently 5'10" 165lbs with muscle definition. I have a little bit of work to do on my lower abs, but that's always the last to go. I think I'll get there eventually. If I had followed the nutrition plan to a T, maybe I'd already be there. But I enjoy my eating habits now and it seems to be working for me. I never planned on quitting the program after my first 90 days anyway. About 30 days in, I knew I was in it for the long haul. That's really the only way to stay truly fit.

Okay, thanks! That definitely clears up some stuff for me! By the way, does anyone here use the Livestrong iPhone app? I love Livestrong and used to use the website, but then I stopped and started using the MyFitnessPal app because it is free and has a much better rating than Livestrong. Anyone here find the 2 star rating for a $3 app completely off?

I have actually NOT followed the diet guidelines. I've just been doing my own thing but I'm seeing results and I feel GOOD instead of fat and lazy. I basically adopted the eating habits I had about ten years ago when I stopped eating red meats, ate two or three chicken breasts a day, lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and drank nothing but water. That was probably the healthiest I've ever felt in my life, so I'm back to that lifestyle. But, this time, I'm doing P90X since I'm no longer playing sports of any kind.

My caloric intake is roughly 1,800, give or take 100-200 a day. I haven't been feeling hungry and I'm seeing noticeable muscle growth (I am aware of the noob effect, though). I'm at the tale end of Level 1 I believe so my eating habits might have to change at the next step. Since all of my fat (and I mean ALL of my fat) was concentrated in my stomach, what I lose in fat I replace in muscle. I've lost about 8 pounds overall but I think I'll end up sitting at 155 from 168 when all is said and done. I'm more concerned with my body fat percentage, which I have no way of measuring at the moment, but I can say that things are changing... I'm down to the last loop in my belt... ten years ago, I had to make a hole in my belt because I was so thin.

How much do you weigh and how tall are you?

Okay, first: What's the noob effect of muscle growth? Something I should watch for?

I currently weight 163 and I'm 5'10. This was before I started P90x four days ago. Probably haven't changed much. I ordered a fat caliper to try and measure my body fat, though. Should arrive Tuesday.

mm04

I use the Livestrong app for WP7. I chose it over MyFitnessPal because it was rated with more reviews, but I haven't tried the other. Both are free on the Marketplace.

Top Bottom