• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's this P90X workout stuff?

Pyrokai

Ah, gotcha.

Okay, so I guess I'll just continue to use the MyFitnessPal app since it's as good as anything, I suppose. Plus the barcode scanner is pretty good. Anyway, this is what I have gathered so far:

-According to the P90x nutrition booklet, I am a level 2 and should consume 2400 calories per day.

-My weight is 160, height 5'10".

-I'm unable to measure my body fat percentage until Tuesday

-Setting my weight and height on the FitnessPal app and setting it to "maintain current body weight", and an activity level of the second highest, (which they say is akin to being a waiter, which I am, actually!...but I'm thinking I should set it to the highest becaaauuuusse...) I'm supposed to consume only 2000 calories per day to maintain my weight according to this, but this is essentially saying I'm not doing p90x at all.

I know weight isn't everything with P90x, but with what I just told you what should I do to get the best results for P90x as far as losing body fat (which I do indeed have around my midsection) and gaining muscle? Should I shoot for 2400 per day and follow nutrition level 2? Or should I shoot for 2000 following nutrition level 2? I don't want to overeat or undereat. I feel this would be easier if I knew my body fat percentage :p

Edit: I messed up and actually had it set to be "lose one pound per week" on the FitnessPal app. When I set it to "maintain", it changes to 2500, which aligns more closely to what P90x nutrition book told me (2400 @ level 2).

Bottom Line Question: Given my 5'10", 160lbs., moderately active + P90x stats, will I achieve the results of losing the fat but getting the muscle (essentially still hovering around 160 lbs, I'd assume, unless I'm off) if I eat 2400 calories of the PROPER Level 2 nutrition foods? OR should I decrease my daily limit of calories?

Btw, I promise this is the last of my annoying questions. After I figure this out, it'll be smooth sailing for me and I can come back with updates instead of questions! You guys have been a tremendous help.

Nightz

Anyone want to purchase a brand new P90X2 Base Blu-ray set? It includes the Blu-rays with all the workouts, fitness guide and nutrition guide. I'll also throw in the extra disc 5 Blu-ray that contains the extra workouts. Selling it for $160 shipped. PM me if interested!

Also, if anyone's interested in an entire Deluxe Blu-ray set, let me know as well.

I started P90 a few days ago with my wife, and I'm loving it.

Unfortunately, I think I injured my left shoulder - starting this morning, there is intense shooting pains for 5-10 seconds if I turn the wrong way. Basically, I can't really do anything normally right now, which sucks.

I'll definitely call my doctor if this isn't better tomorrow, but what else can I do to ease the pain and help my recovery?

mm04

Bottom Line Question: Given my 5'10", 160lbs., moderately active + P90x stats, will I achieve the results of losing the fat but getting the muscle (essentially still hovering around 160 lbs, I'd assume, unless I'm off) if I eat 2400 calories of the PROPER Level 2 nutrition foods? OR should I decrease my daily limit of calories?

I would start by eating 2400 good calories (no Twinkies). That might be a big jump for you, it was for me, even though I went to 2200 instead. But I was looking to shed weight as well as build muscle. Everyone is different and you might have to tinker with your calorie intake to get the mix just right. For what I wanted to accomplish, I found that 2200 was about the sweet spot for me and I'm only 5lbs heavier now than you are currently. I started at 179, though. We're the same height, so some of our metrics are comparable.

Once I get down to about 10% body fat, (I'm 14% according to a caliper), I'll jump my calories up to maintain current weight level and use heavier resistances to try and gain some mass. It'll take some experimentation, I'm sure. But I'm not limiting my results to the confines of 90 days and neither should you. I guarantee that you'll be much stronger by the end of your first 90 days of P90X. Comparing what I can do now to what I did on Day 1 is like night and day.

I'll definitely call my doctor if this isn't better tomorrow, but what else can I do to ease the pain and help my recovery?

Heating pad or hot/cold therapy is all you can do at this point. Hope that it feels much better after that and you haven't seriously hurt yourself. I tweaked my neck and a heating pad for a day or so did wonders.

OG Kush

I started P90 a few days ago with my wife, and I'm loving it.

Unfortunately, I think I injured my left shoulder - starting this morning, there is intense shooting pains for 5-10 seconds if I turn the wrong way. Basically, I can't really do anything normally right now, which sucks.

try those heat sprays and balms? Like tiger blam and deep heat?

Fixed1979

And I'm off, Day 1. I started in ~February of last year and finished Phase 2 down around 25-30lbs. The NHL playoffs and golf/biking season distracted me to the point I didn't finish. After a decent summer of keeping fairly low on my weight, the fall and winter came and most (if not all) of the weight is back on and it fucking sucks. I jumped on my scale this morning and of course my battery is dead so my Day 1 weigh-in didn't get done and it's been a long time since I've bothered to get on there.

I love mountain biking in the summer and this year I wanted to get a nice road bike but I've made a deal with myself that I need to be in better shape before I plunk down a pile of cash in the spring. I'm also hoping on goaltending for a local team next year and this will go a long way to helping me get to the point where I'm comfortable playing competitively. So here we go!

EDIT:
First workout down and I'm shocked at how weak I am again =(. I guess that's why I'm doing it though. I forgot about the sense of calm I get after a workout, feels good man!

Started Power 90 yesterday, one of each workout done. I hate resistance bands -- I'm going to get some dumbbells as fast as I can.

I still use bands when I'm doing pull ups mostly because I don't have a choice, no complaints there. If you're considering investing in dumbbells I'm a big fan of the Bowflex set, I picked it up before I started P90X last year and it's still one of the best decisions I've made. They're expensive and a little long but with limited space available to me it's perfect.

Sipowicz

Banned
Well, whey already has a lot of glutamine in it (it's a very common dietary amino acid), so you might not need to add it in separately. As for the dextrose, protein already spikes up your insulin levels and will drive any carbs into glycogen stores. REsearch doesn't show that dextrose shakes immediately post-workout increases glycogen levels more after 24 hours than just eating normally, so I'm not sure you need that either. The whey shake sounds good to me. Chocolate milk is a phenomenal mixer with the whey protein.

do you think I should just use whey protein or get the one with creatine/HMB in it?

Hairtux

anyone else feel the widefly pushups are a bit strenuous on the shoulders?

They were for me when I first started P90X, so I just brought my hands in a little bit for the first few weeks. Eventually everything got stronger and I could do them as wide as Horton, and then super wide using push-up bars.

Basically you just have to modify, as they say in the vids.

RevDM

Banned
First week of Insanity done, get tomorrow off! Should I modify my diet at all for day off? I normally drink a muscle milk light right after the work out, I'm guessing I don't need to have that on my day off?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Started Power 90 yesterday, one of each workout done. I hate resistance bands -- I'm going to get some dumbbells as fast as I can.

Thanks for the advice, folks! The shoulder pain is much less today, which makes me happy. I'm really eager to get back into the workout, maybe with less resistance so that I don't pull a muscle again, at least until I get stronger.

Wasn't expecting the beginner level of Power 90 to kick my ass like this, lol. I'm really unfit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
P90X2 day 1 done yesterday. It was a great workout (X-Core) and definitely had some different moves that I wasn't used to at all. To be fair, I finished P90X a year and a half ago, and last year did a bunch of running and some random P90X videos here and there.

I am sore today, but not as sore as day 1 of P90X. This was core though. Some of the moves get quite crazy, but I was able to at least get 2 reps in of most of them, even if modified to be easier.

I have none of the extra stuff, just bands, dumbbells, and the pull up bar and was able to do this OK. Although I do want to look into getting the exercise ball and the roller thingy. Tony was using a crazy spiky roller, but the others were using a typical smooth one, I may be able to find the smooth one at Target or somewhere.

Overall it felt like a good workout, and by the end I was about dead as usual. I am looking forward to Plyocide today to see how that goes.

I would say if you get the base package you'll be fine, but you may want the roller and exercise ball for certain moves/stretches.

I'm about to do Yoga X (day 4).

I did Shoulders and Arms yesterday, and.. I actually managed to do it all. However, it seems that's due to the fact that I kept using 5kg dumbells in each hand. They kept switching weights. So I got some resistant bands today, and I'm gonna stick on 10kg for the easier ones and swap to resistant bands for the harder ones.

One question.

How safe are resistant bands...? How far can they stretch for?

mm04

One question.

How safe are resistant bands...? How far can they stretch for?

I use both free weights and bands depending on the situation. Bands are safe, assuming it's not some cheapie brand and you don't leave them out in the heat, like your car or something. If you let them get heated or get nicks on them, they'll snap. For reference sake, I use Bodylastics brand.

D23

I use both free weights and bands depending on the situation. Bands are safe, assuming it's not some cheapie brand and you don't leave them out in the heat, like your car or something. If you let them get heated or get nicks on them, they'll snap. For reference sake, I use Bodylastics brand.

i use bodylastics band and they snapped when i was doing the shoulder and arms workout! bruises ion my left foot for days.. lol

i guess you just gotta be careful with it..

2 weeks down of P90X2. Liking the core exercises. Abs are ripping through and i lost 3lbs so far (Only 11st8 so im not exactly looking to lose weight).

Yoga is so much more enjoyable now as well. I stopped doing Yoga in P90X because 90 minutes was too long.

Also bought the P90X pull-up bar. It doesn't fit in my door frame... FUUUUUU!

So far its much easier but it is an easing in part of the program. Part 2 looks to be more difficult.

Pyrokai

I'm definitely thinking of adding more cardio into the routine. Perhaps adding the Cardio X routine because it's not actually used in the P90x classic schedule, which I thought was strange. I feel like I'm not getting enough cardio, so I'm probably going to do that or add in running. Because even though I'm adding more protein/fewer carbs, I still think the fat around my abdomen/butt/lower tummy is going to be stubborn as hell. Plus I'm probably only doing the diet about 70% accurately.

What do you guys think? Am I just underestimating how much fat I'll actually lose? Remember, I'm already pretty slim. I just have stubborn belly/butt/abdomen fat :(

OG Kush

I'm definitely thinking of adding more cardio into the routine. Perhaps adding the Cardio X routine because it's not actually used in the P90x classic schedule, which I thought was strange. I feel like I'm not getting enough cardio, so I'm probably going to do that or add in running. Because even though I'm adding more protein/fewer carbs, I still think the fat around my abdomen/butt/lower tummy is going to be stubborn as hell. Plus I'm probably only doing the diet about 70% accurately.

What do you guys think? Am I just underestimating how much fat I'll actually lose? Remember, I'm already pretty slim. I just have stubborn belly/butt/abdomen fat :(

Sounds fine. More cardio will speed up the fat loss process. If you want even better results I suggest Insanity. Quite a big step above the p90x cardio though, but gives great results.

lljride

2 weeks down of P90X2. Liking the core exercises. Abs are ripping through and i lost 3lbs so far (Only 11st8 so im not exactly looking to lose weight).

Yoga is so much more enjoyable now as well. I stopped doing Yoga in P90X because 90 minutes was too long.

Also bought the P90X pull-up bar. It doesn't fit in my door frame... FUUUUUU!

So far its much easier but it is an easing in part of the program. Part 2 looks to be more difficult.

Nice, I just finished week 2 and started week 3 today.

X2 Core - The more I do it the tamer it gets. I know that's the idea, but I'm thinking about moving to phase 2 after this week, just because I don't feel like I'm getting much out of this one anymore.

X2 Yoga - Still not a huge fan of the speed yoga thing, but I'm coming around a little bit. I think if I do a hybrid P90X/2 program after this I'll alternate between the original Yoga X and X2. P90X Shauna > P90X2 Shauna.

X2 Total Body & Balance and Power - Fucking death on a blu ray. I love it.

Pyrokai

Sounds fine. More cardio will speed up the fat loss process. If you want even better results I suggest Insanity. Quite a big step above the p90x cardio though, but gives great results.

I'm thinking of doing Insanity after P90x, actually. I'm determined to do P90x completely first.

I did Kenpo today for the first time. Didn't like it. Not intense enough cardio for me. Definitely going to be adding running.

gcubed

i use bodylastics band and they snapped when i was doing the shoulder and arms workout! bruises ion my left foot for days.. lol

i guess you just gotta be careful with it..

one of the bands i use have nicks in them now (ripcords).

So you are saying i'm going to be in pain once it snaps

Poigea

I am going through P90X2 and am on phase 2. I only did phase 1 for 3 weeks as by then I didn't feel I was getting a good enough workout and they recommend 3-5 weeks for the first phase anyway.

I like phase 2 much better. These workouts are more in the style of P90X and I am back to feeling a little sore the day after again. I think the stability ball and medicine balls do make a difference in getting the most out of some of the moves, glad I got them (bought my own, didn't pay what Beach Body was asking).

I think I will stick with phase 2 for 5 weeks before moving on to phase 3, to make up for my shorter phase 1.

so i did my first workout on monday, wanted to do some tuesday and today but my arms are hurting so much i cant even lift them above my head without them hurting.

this is the kind of shit they don't tell you. they want you to work out every day but the truth is the unfit people are in no condition to.

gcubed

so i did my first workout on monday, wanted to do some tuesday and today but my arms are hurting so much i cant even lift them above my head without them hurting.

this is the kind of shit they don't tell you. they want you to work out every day but the truth is the unfit people are in no condition to.

day 2 is plyo, you dont need your arms. Push through it.

Sipowicz

Banned

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Did Plyocide yesterday. I like it. P90X2 really seems to compliment P90x1, they take P90x moves and add more to them for 2. The only negative I can say about 2 thus far is that I like that they added the roller thing, but they speed through stretches now and do none of the typical ones anymore. Loved the neck stretches and stuff in 1.

Rest/stretch day today. I'm not quite as sore as P90x1 day 3 but I feel like I have been getting good work outs. P90X2 seems to build up better than 1.

EDIT: I didn't buy the ball or roller with P90X2, I'm not sure which ones on Amazon or elsewhere would be good enough, especially for the exercise ball. Any ideas?

Pyrokai

Am I allowed to have a cheat day from the diet? Because today is my first break day from p90x and I've pretty much been eating whatever I want and not really caring. Tomorrow I'm definitely going back into it though when I start my second Chest & Back day :eek:

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Am I allowed to have a cheat day from the diet? Because today is my first break day from p90x and I've pretty much been eating whatever I want and not really caring. Tomorrow I'm definitely going back into it though when I start my second Chest & Back day :eek:

Cheat meals are good, I would be wary of a cheat day though. I would say 1 or 2 cheat meals a week would be fine.

EDIT: Been thinking about making an official 2012 P90X/P90X2 thread, should I?

Hairtux

Did Plyocide yesterday. I like it. P90X2 really seems to compliment P90x1, they take P90x moves and add more to them for 2. The only negative I can say about 2 thus far is that I like that they added the roller thing, but they speed through stretches now and do none of the typical ones anymore. Loved the neck stretches and stuff in 1.

Rest/stretch day today. I'm not quite as sore as P90x1 day 3 but I feel like I have been getting good work outs. P90X2 seems to build up better than 1.

EDIT: I didn't buy the ball or roller with P90X2, I'm not sure which ones on Amazon or elsewhere would be good enough, especially for the exercise ball. Any ideas?

I don't like their warmup or cool down stretches in P90X2 and I also don't have the roller. Instead I just do whatever stretches from P90X I can remember and fit in before they get going. The squats and groiners are great though, so I don't skip those.

For equipment, I bit the bullet and bought some stuff (already had weights and a pull up bar). Went with the Natural Fitness exercise ball and a couple 10lb Velo med balls.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZSBVZU/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007IS73C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sorry if it's been asked but I'm thinking of starting either P90 or P90X, can I get away with just dumbbells or do I need a pullup bar or resistance bands?

What kind of weight for the dumbbells? I'm assuming on the lighter end of the spectrum due seeing as it seems to be high reps / low weight exercises?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Sorry if it's been asked but I'm thinking of starting either P90 or P90X, can I get away with just dumbbells or do I need a pullup bar or resistance bands?

What kind of weight for the dumbbells? I'm assuming on the lighter end of the spectrum due seeing as it seems to be high reps / low weight exercises?

You'll need resistance bands or a pull-up bar so you can do the back exercises. Dumbells won't work.

For weight on the dumbbells, get all the weights up to and including whatever you can do a maximum rep for your biceps since that will likely be the heaviest weight you'll need (things like lawnmowers or heavy pants you will likely need more weight, but you could end up buying a substantially heavier weight set just to accommodate a few exercises). Like go to a fitness store and try and bicep curl 50 pounds. Work down from there until you can put something up for 1 rep and only 1 rep and buy that weight and all the ones under it.

That'll be a good starting place.

P90X doesn't have to be high rep, low weight. Tony constantly says that you're either an 8-10 or a 12-15 person. Now whether you consider 8 reps as "high" is another story :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
To go on what Rubx mentioned, you actually just need either dumbbells or bands. Both is better, but I've done every workout with all bands, and all dumbbells.

So, thoughts on an OT for P90x/P90X2 2012? We've never really had one. :)

I will speak for P90 since I'm doing it now. My experience is that if you are out of shape and would like to be fit and would like to work your way gradually, do P90. P90 is really straightforward and still a decent workout. There are two workouts and they range from 35 to 45 mins or longer, depending on how fit you are (cardio + abs takes me an hour even tho it's clocked at 46 mins). P90 is more manageable and you really just need a band (comes with it) or weight. P90 or P90X both require commitment. 90 days is a long time and I like the P90 because the workouts are not too long. Now, from what I have read in this thread, is P90X doable even if you are out of shape? Absolutely. The key is think about what you want (lose fat? Be fit? Get those big muscles) and how you plan to actually do them

Edit: read your post again. You can use both and see how they feel. Some exercises require less weight than others. In the video you will see how to use both. You don't need a pull up bar for p90

RubxQub

So could I be ok doing back variations with just dumbbells?

If you can tell me how to simulate a pull-up with dumbbells you could just use those! The bands can be used in place of the pull-up bar (and I'd strongly recommend them over a pullup bar for beginners), but I have no idea how you could use dumbbells to recreate a pull-up considering you need the resistance in the opposite direction of gravity!

cashman

Banned
So I'm on day 4 and just now recovered from the day 1 soreness. Chest and back wasn't as bad as I expected but ab ripper at the end absolutely killed me. Can't wait to do yoga x in the evening, even though it's an hour and a half. I really like this program so far, it's a fantastic introduction to working out and setting up a routine.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If you can tell me how to simulate a pull-up with dumbbells you could just use those! The bands can be used in place of the pull-up bar (and I'd strongly recommend them over a pullup bar for beginners), but I have no idea how you could use dumbbells to recreate a pull-up considering you need the resistance in the opposite direction of gravity!

Ah, that's not what I was talking about. I was meaning alongside the pull-up bar all you need is either dumbbells or bands, you don't have to have both if you have the pull-up bar.

My first time through I used a pull-up bar/stool and bands. The last time I did a few weeks of it I used a pull-up bar/stool and dumbbells.

So I'm on day 4 and just now recovered from the day 1 soreness. Chest and back wasn't as bad as I expected but ab ripper at the end absolutely killed me. Can't wait to do yoga x in the evening, even though it's an hour and a half. I really like this program so far, it's a fantastic introduction to working out and setting up a routine.

*Maniacal laugh* Oh wait, I have P90X2 yoga tonight and ab ripper. *Dies* Yoga is the hardest workout in the program for me.

tralfazz

Completed p90x back in 2010 and lost 40lbs and have been doing various p90x/insanity/p90x+/p90x 1on1 dvds with some running since. Even completed a tough mudder last november. These programs have changed my life. To everyone starting, just do what you can and power through them. You will see results. I can remember blowing up constantly the first 2 weeks.

I just started p90x2 last week. Picked up most of the equipment and while I'm certainly in better shape, these are some nice tough routines but doable. The stability ball adds a whole dimension of tough but I'm already down 5lbs the first week. I'm planning on going the max 18 weeks with it on the first go.

RubxQub

Ah, that's not what I was talking about. I was meaning alongside the pull-up bar all you need is either dumbbells or bands, you don't have to have both if you have the pull-up bar.

Figured as much, just wanted to make sure Sir got that point across so he doesn't miss it! Chest + Back is the first disc afterall :)

So just did Kenpo X and thus my first week is done. I would do the stretches one tomorrow, but it seems I'll be going out. So won't have time at all.

I must say, didn't really enjoy Kenpo X as much, although I think it's more to do with needing a bit more room, and trying to learn the punches/kicks.

Furthermore my biggest weakness is balance.

Question - is it essential to wear trainers during the times they wear it?

gcubed

Completed p90x back in 2010 and lost 40lbs and have been doing various p90x/insanity/p90x+/p90x 1on1 dvds with some running since. Even completed a tough mudder last november. These programs have changed my life. To everyone starting, just do what you can and power through them. You will see results. I can remember blowing up constantly the first 2 weeks.

I just started p90x2 last week. Picked up most of the equipment and while I'm certainly in better shape, these are some nice tough routines but doable. The stability ball adds a whole dimension of tough but I'm already down 5lbs the first week. I'm planning on going the max 18 weeks with it on the first go.

i think the biggest thing if you can push yourself through P90X is that after 90 days most people are motivated and in a habit of exercising and feeling better so you stick with something (whether its a modified p90x, insanity, x2, etc). Every person i know IRL who has done P90x never really stopped. They took a bit off after it, but were itching to do something else, a lot jumped into insanity and just about all the people who did p90x pre-ordered X2

One of the best things about 6 days a week for 90 days at an average of an hour a time is that it gets you in the routine to work out, which is the hardest part.

tralfazz

i think the biggest thing if you can push yourself through P90X is that after 90 days most people are motivated and in a habit of exercising and feeling better so you stick with something (whether its a modified p90x, insanity, x2, etc). Every person i know IRL who has done P90x never really stopped. They took a bit off after it, but were itching to do something else, a lot jumped into insanity and just about all the people who did p90x pre-ordered X2

One of the best things about 6 days a week for 90 days at an average of an hour a time is that it gets you in the routine to work out, which is the hardest part.

No doubt. For me, it's up and at them by 6am. That way the metabolism is kicked in for the day, I feel more energized and most importantly, I don't have to worry about it when I get home. After the first 3 weeks of X2, I'll go back to doing 8 mile walks/runs after dinner.

mm04

Question - is it essential to wear trainers during the times they wear it?

Plyo-X is the only routine I actually wear shoes while doing. Even then, I've done it without with no issues. I typically use an exercise mat, so I don't really feel the need for shoes.

Top Bottom