• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Worse? Nu-Star Wars or Nu-Star Trek?

What's Worse Nowadays?

• Star Wars

Votes: 45 72.6%
  • Star Trek

Votes: 17 27.4%

• Total voters
One thing that seems to be common here on NeoGAF is that a lot of people don't like the newer Star Wars movies and series since it was bought by Disney.

Another common opinion here is that most of the new Star Trek series is not well liked either.

In your opinion, what do you feel is worse? The newer Star Trek series or the new Star Wars movies and series?

Banned
Star Wars is IMO worse because it completely ignored all the amazing extended universe stories and retconned them even tho they were 100x better and beloved by the fans.
so for Star Wars it's a double dick punch...

and this amazing quote
main-qimg-e480529ea158a4530e9a4fc078c7a957-pjlq

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
My trek is pretty garbage.

nu Star Wars looks nice just doesn’t have a cohesive plot and there is too much of it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not a SW or ST expert, so I havent seen all content.

To me, both franchises are almost always cheesy with jokes and campiness. Understandable. SW is family fun comedy. ST is nerd comedy. Although I havent seen Rogue One and people say that is a serious movie. Wrath of Khan 1982 is by far the best movie Ive seen from all SW/ST movies I've seen from either even though the production values are obviously cheap with plastic models and the enemies are dressed like Marc Singer in Beastmaster.

But comparing new SW and ST, SW has the much better production values. But I'd take the ST movies even though the last one with the alien women helper was kind of crap. The first big SW movie years back when it got rebooted was shit. I swear the plot line was the exact same as an old movie from 40 years ago. And Adam Driver is the dumbest looking bad guy ever with his giant nose. He looks better suited for a Revenge of the Nerds reboot than a SW movie. And then doing the Luke drive by cameo at the end was cringeworthy.

I thought the first two ST movies with Chris Pine were better than I thought though the first movie with the alien enemy guy with the giant mothership spoke perfect English which was dumb as hell. Not even an accent or one subtitle. The guy spoke better English than everyone on the Enterprise.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'm working my way through old Trek right now, recently started Enterprise.

Could any nu Trek possibly be as extraordinarily atrocious as Obi-Wan Kenobi? I mean, could the nu Trek writers, producers, and actors possibly be as overwhelmingly untalented as the team behind Kenobi?
I mean, major IP seems to have this funny capacity for pumping out absolute shit, so I dunno, maybe nu Trek really is that bad.

Okay okay I need to balance this out with something nice.
I saw Andor recently.
It makes me miss the more pulpy sci-fi of the original trilogy, but it was still pretty great. I'm gonna watch the second season. I really liked seeing them shoot on-location, the series looks much less synthetic than the StageCraft shows. Looks great. Had some pretty thrilling sequences too.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Gone with Star Wars because at least Picard season three is very good.

It's a close run thing though. Both have been treated like absolute shit by companies who are only interested in squeezing out as much money as they can, or making political statements.

Sakura

I'll have to go with Star Trek just because I never really cared that much for Star Wars, so new Star Wars being bad doesn't bother me as much.

wvnative

Incredibly difficult to choose, Discovery and the first 2 seasons of Picard are complete insults to the Trek name, it demonstrates an utter lack of respect and understanding of what Trek is.

But Picard season 3 is spectacular, and strange new worlds, while not perfect, was fun to watch.

Star Wars is just all over the place without any sense of direction, and none of it's been great. Nothing as insulting as discovery and the first 2 seasons of picard, but that's a low bar.

I'm going to give the edge to Star Wars, only because the people in charge of Trek genuinely seem to want to improve and win over old fans, but the people in charge of Star Wars seem to not care about the brand and continue to just pump shit out without a care.

Star Wars has been shit for decades, while Star Trek has been shit for maybe one decade. Picard Season 3 is better than previous attempts but it still has that lingering Kurtzmann stink (for example, every time Raffi is on screen).

CGNoire

I'm working my way through old Trek right now, recently started Enterprise.

Could any nu Trek possibly be as extraordinarily atrocious as Obi-Wan Kenobi? I mean, could the nu Trek writers, producers, and actors possibly be as overwhelmingly untalented as the team behind Kenobi?
I mean, major IP seems to have this funny capacity for pumping out absolute shit, so I dunno, maybe nu Trek really is that bad.

Okay okay I need to balance this out with something nice.
I saw Andor recently.
It makes me miss the more pulpy sci-fi of the original trilogy, but it was still pretty great. I'm gonna watch the second season. I really liked seeing them shoot on-location, the series looks much less synthetic than the StageCraft shows. Looks great. Had some pretty thrilling sequences too.
Kenobi is definitely the bottom of the barrel. Even worse than the TLJ.
If Andor didnt come out right afterward the way it did the franchise may have not had a chance to recover.

Last edited:

Lasha

The new star trek movies were dumb but kind of enjoyable. The new star wars is rubbish outside of rogue one and andor.

Wvrs

Star Wars is IMO worse because it completely ignored all the amazing extended universe stories and retconned them even tho they were 100x better and beloved by the fans.
so for Star Wars it's a double dick punch...
They haven't ignored it though, just labelled it all initially as non-canon and they're cherry picking the best parts like Thrawn and The Old Republic while leaving shit like Luuke and emo-Vader out.

Banned
They haven't ignored it though, just labelled it all initially as non-canon and they're cherry picking the best parts like Thrawn and The Old Republic while leaving shit like Luuke and emo-Vader out.

the issue is that they completely changed the immediate follow up of the original trilogy, while there were multiple extended universe sequels to the movies that were all way better than what they eventually came up with.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
This is this board's Kobayashi Maru scenario.

It's an impossible and un-winnable choice.

Only way to beat this scenario is to think outside the square by going back in time, and ensuring that Abrams, Lindelof, Orci, and Kurtzmann never make it into Hollywood and ushering in the next age of pop culture darkness, and that Lucas never sells Star Wars to Disney (by forcing him to watch the sequel trilogy, Kenobi, Boba Fett). I'm willing to sacrifice the existence of the first couple of seasons of Lost, Fringe, Andor and Rogue One to ensure our timeline never happens.

If I must pick though, it would have to be nuTrek for foisting Michael from Discovery and the first two seasons of that turdfest Picard onto our screens. S3 is a bit better but it's still pretty shit regardless of the homages to classic Trek. Patrick should have retired.

Last edited:

CGNoire

well, there is a VFX guy working on a film version of Kenobi.
he's remaking a lot of the CGI, he's changing backgrounds and color temperature for scenes, uses alternative takes and removes scenes, and adjusts elements to be closer to previous canon.

I am curious how it will turn out

Real cool.

ahtlas7

Where’s the: I’m done with Star Wars and Star Trek option?
Aside from Andor (3 snooze fest episodes remaining) I’m not watching either as my time is to valuable. Now, excuse me while I play Vampire Survivors for the next 2.5hrs

Enjoying NuTrek much more these days
b3cDIeO.jpg

Picard S3 is also better than I expected. SnW was OK too. I'll watch the next season and see if they mess it up

kunonabi

I'll say star wars due to trek being easier to screw up. SW really shouldn't have gone as off the rails as it did and honestly it would be probably even worse it wasn't such a mess production wise. Trek at least it least is able to put out content in a timely, competent fashion even if it's all disgusting trash. At least Picard seems to have improved in its latest season unlike Mando which has fallen off a cliff.

Tams

Star Wars. Sure The Mandolorian can be pretty good, and Andor was great (though it's only going to be short), but other than that... I guess there's Clone Wars, but I never really got into it.

Star Trek has Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds going for it, which are both great. I wrote Picard off during season 2, do might try it again.

Most importantly though, you can very easily ignore the shit Star Trek stuff. It's not important to the lore. With Star Wars, they fucked with the main story, which also matters more for it that with Star Trek.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

Star Wars easily. The Kelvin time line films weren't bad imo and definetly were truer to the legacy of star trek than the new Star Wars films were. The shows have been hit or miss with Star Trek but the 1st season and this season of Picard have been better than anything SW related on DPlus, including Mando imo and Strange New Worlds was fucking fantastic.

well, there is a VFX guy working on a film version of Kenobi.
he's remaking a lot of the CGI, he's changing backgrounds and color temperature for scenes, uses alternative takes and removes scenes, and adjusts elements to be closer to previous canon.

I am curious how it will turn out

I hope this ends up as good as the ‘Serious Edit’ of the prequel trilogy. That edit turned my opinion completely around about the prequels.

Harold Lloyd

Neo Member
Let's see... of Nu-Wars I've (at minimum) enjoyed Force Awakens, Mando seasons 1 & 2, Rogue One, Andor, Clone Wars season 7, Tales of the Jedi and some of Bad Batch.

Of Nu-Trek I've absolutely loathed everything except season 3 of Picard (which is great)

So Nu-Trek is worse for me.

Power Pro

Nu trek hits harder for how bad it's been, because I loved star trek more most of my life. Star Wars is probably worse in my opinion because disney straight up killed any interest i have in the franchise. I do not give a flying fuck about any of it anymore. I probably could have said the same about Nu Trek, but season 3 of Picard has just been straight up a blast to watch so far, so in terms of having fun with either franchise, at least I'm having some with star trek right now. Still cautious though because i hope the last 2 episodes are good.

NekoFever

Both are bad. I feel like the bad Star Wars still mostly feels like Star Wars, though, whereas the producers of current Star Trek have completely missed the point. If you want to make another dark and gritty military sci-fi series set in a borderline dystopia with dumb as rocks sociopathic characters, why would you use Star Trek?

SJRB

Gold Member
They're both equally easy to ignore

It's easy to ignore Star Trek but it's pretty hard to ignore Star Wars when they're carpetbombing content nonstop.

Look at how much fucking Star Wars shit has been released recently or is closed to be released. It's insane.

Supple

Banned
Definitely Nu-trek. Every season of Star Trek Discovery and seasons 1 & 2 of Picard were garbage. Strange New Worlds is great though. They need to fire Alex Kurtzman. Star Wars has gotten a lot better after J.J. Abrams got fired.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm shocked at how bad Star Wars has become. I've never been the biggest SW fan but I never thought Disney would completely botch it the way they have. It's not just bad, it's boring and cheap.

I am not surprised at how bad Star Trek is though, that series has been very very inconsistent over the decades.

Wvrs

the issue is that they completely changed the immediate follow up of the original trilogy, while there were multiple extended universe sequels to the movies that were all way better than what they eventually came up with.
They wanted to use the original cast; they might have able to loosely adapt Heir to the Empire but it would have been difficult after a 30 year in-universe gap.

Seems they'll be adapting the Thrawn trilogy real soon, though.

Whichever one is more woke.
That's a tough one right there since they both are.

I know a lot of people here are saying both are bad and I would agree but I'm asking which is worse than the other.

I went with Star Trek because everything I've seen of nu-Trek has been pretty bad. Star Wars today is pretty bad in and of itself but at least you have Rogue One, the Mandalorian season 1 and 2 (I haven't seen a third season yet) and many of the video games that are part of the new canon such as Jedi Fallen Order and Vader Immortal. Star Wars seems to have a little bit more consistency and quality but yes the new trilogy was not very good.

But I feel both franchises have pretty much been spoiled by people who don't know what the hell they're doing or leadership that doesn't know what they're doing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom