• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's wrong with my Xbox Series X?

TLZ

Banned
I turn it on and it takes a few seconds longer. When I'm finally in, everything's loaded except it says connect to Xbox live or whatever it is. I can't do anything without that. When I click on that, it takes me to the network settings and it shows me everything's running fine. I back out to the dashboard but I still have the same message.

I tried changing the DNS, worked once but then same happened again. Tried putting my Xbox in DMZ in my router. Worked once but back to the same issue again.

It started happening a few days ago and ignored it at first thinking it's just Live maintenance. But it's been happening every time I switch on my Xbox. And it only goes back to normal again after I restart it.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but my Xbox play and charge battery stopped charging during this same time.

What's happening to my Xbox? :(

Anyone know what else I can do? Anyone had this issue? Please tell me it's not dying already.

RaZoR No1

Internet Issues? All ports open? Maybe change the Xbox ports.
Have you tried to put it into offline mode to check if it is still that sluggish?

Edit: are you using power saving or fast start mode? If fast start, change to power saving and do a power cycle

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Internet Issues? All ports open? Maybe change the Xbox ports.
Have you tried to put it into offline mode to check if it is still that sluggish?
I tried these. That's why I just put it in DMZ mode and still having issues. Almost every time I restart the console this issue goes away. Very weird.

RaZoR No1

I tried these. That's why I just put it in DMZ mode and still having issues. Almost every time I restart the console this issue goes away. Very weird.
Depending on the router, DMZ sometimes doesnt work right. Maybe your router got an update and blocks the Teredo protocol.
First check if offline mode gives you the same issues.
Then do a power reset/cycle and change to power saving mode. This often solves most of the issues.

Otherwise check the internet connection via Xbox, if it has any NAT or Port issues

ANIMAL1975

I turn it on and it takes a few seconds longer. When I'm finally in, everything's loaded except it says connect to Xbox live or whatever it is. I can't do anything without that. When I click on that, it takes me to the network settings and it shows me everything's running fine. I back out to the dashboard but I still have the same message.

I tried changing the DNS, worked once but then same happened again. Tried putting my Xbox in DMZ in my router. Worked once but back to the same issue again.

It started happening a few days ago and ignored it at first thinking it's just Live maintenance. But it's been happening every time I switch on my Xbox. And it only goes back to normal again after I restart it.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but my Xbox play and charge battery stopped charging during this same time.

What's happening to my Xbox? :(

Anyone know what else I can do? Anyone had this issue? Please tell me it's not dying already.
Try upping the VRR level in settings
Riky Riky help

Rob_27

Turn it all off unplug it. Put normally aa batteries in unplug any external drives.

Limit the things that could be screwing with it. Start bare bones. Box and controller with new batteries. Then connect to WiFi. After reboot of router. 1 step at a time to diagnose.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

ManaByte

Gold Member
the series x has a wireless (?) issue. it affects bluetooth/wifi. it means your wifi will not connect or disconnect. controller will lose connection.

it's a hardware issue and you need to get it replaced.
Xbox doesn't use Bluetooth. They have a proprietary wireless protocol they use for their controllers and headsets. Please know what you're talking about before claiming a console has a defect like that.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If restarting it always fixes it, turn of quick start or whatever it is called .

TLZ

Banned
Depending on the router, DMZ sometimes doesnt work right. Maybe your router got an update and blocks the Teredo protocol.
First check if offline mode gives you the same issues.
Then do a power reset/cycle and change to power saving mode. This often solves most of the issues.

Otherwise check the internet connection via Xbox, if it has any NAT or Port issues
Even if upnp is enabled on both the router and Xbox? I see under port forwarding in the router the Xbox opening a port and I see Teredo. I guess it's not an issue then? No NAT issues. It's always Open. My Xbox is always in power saving mode too.

the series x has a wireless (?) issue. it affects bluetooth/wifi. it means your wifi will not connect or disconnect. controller will lose connection.

it's a hardware issue and you need to get it replaced.
Hm. My controller was disconnecting a lot yesterday and reconnecting on its own. Not sure what's going on.

Is it wireless? Have you tried wired? How about factory resetting your modem?
Wired always.

Turn it all off unplug it. Put normally aa batteries in unplug any external drives.

Limit the things that could be screwing with it. Start bare bones. Box and controller with new batteries. Then connect to WiFi. After reboot of router. 1 step at a time to diagnose.
Yea I removed the MS play and charge battery and trying my own rechargeables. Also my Xbox is wired.

Did you get banned from xbox live, try playing the gamepass streaming stuff online to double check your account is in good standing.
Why would I get banned though? Also if I'm banned I shouldn't be able to get back on right? The issue gets solved after a restart. But I can't keep restarting each time I power on.

Plug wire and make an update - I had some issues like this before downloading update.
My controller is updated. You mean update it again while wired?

I'd also try a hard restart. Hold the power button for a few seconds until the console completely shuts down. Unplug the power cord from the back for about 30 seconds. Then start it up again.
I tried this. Worked the first time but then went back to the same issue.

I'm thinking to try the 'Reset Console' thing.

Banned
first of all, whatever you do, and this is a PSA for every Xbox and Playstation user:

DO 👏 NOT 👏 USE 👏 INSTANT 👏 ON 👏 STANDBY 👏 REGULARLY

or don't use it at all if you don't absolutely need to (for example to download stuff while leaving the console on)

don't do it... never do it... especially with these new consoles, they boot so fast it's useless...

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
first of all, whatever you do, and this is a PSA for every Xbox and Playstation user:

or don't use it at all if you don't absolutely need to (for example to download stuff while leaving the console on)

don't do it... never do it... especially with these new consoles, they boot so fast it's useless...
Why? I've been using it for years and years without any issues.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Been using it since launch of the past gen exclusively and have had zero issues.

Even for PCs putting your machine to sleep is better than starting up/shutting down every day. It's easier on the hardware.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Even if upnp is enabled on both the router and Xbox? I see under port forwarding in the router the Xbox opening a port and I see Teredo. I guess it's not an issue then? No NAT issues. It's always Open. My Xbox is always in power saving mode too.

Hm. My controller was disconnecting a lot yesterday and reconnecting on its own. Not sure what's going on.

Wired always.

Yea I removed the MS play and charge battery and trying my own rechargeables. Also my Xbox is wired.

Why would I get banned though? Also if I'm banned I shouldn't be able to get back on right? The issue gets solved after a restart. But I can't keep restarting each time I power on.

My controller is updated. You mean update it again while wired?

I tried this. Worked the first time but then went back to the same issue.

I'm thinking to try the 'Reset Console' thing.
Try it at someone else's place just in case , if nothing else works try to reset it and if that didn't work either, maybe contact/send it to MS.

• Thoughtful

ReBurn

Gold Member
you might not have noticed issues because either you were lucky or you didn't have a direct comparison.

because some games have degraded performance when instant on is used for too long without reboot, and some games can even crash on you
Which games?

Trunim

Yeah, my play and charge kit refused to charge, whether it was from a socket or from the xbox itself. I let it be in a drawer for a couple of months. Took it out last week and loads fine now. No idea why but hey I'm glad.

• Triggered
Try changing the port setting. Go to Network Settings > Advanced Settings > Alternate Port Selection > Manual and it will give you a list of 6 or 7 selectable ports, just select any port that isn't already selected. I think it usually goes to 3074 by default so try a different one.

• Thoughtful

GuinGuin

Banned

Disagree. They work just fine and some games have lots of title screens before you can get back to playing.

DeepSpace5D

I would try a hard factory reset if all else fails. My Xbox had an issue where right after the startup Xbox screen it would just show a blank black screen afterwards and only a factory reset solved it for me.

TLZ

Banned
Try hotspotting to your phone to eliminate your current network conditions completely
Good idea. I'll try that too.

Sounds mad, but if you have an external HDD/SSD plugged in, unplug it and see if things go back to normal.
Don't have anything attached except the play and charge kit cable. I'll remove it anyway.

Yeah, my play and charge kit refused to charge, whether it was from a socket or from the xbox itself. I let it be in a drawer for a couple of months. Took it out last week and loads fine now. No idea why but hey I'm glad.
Looks like I'll do the same. Hopefully it works again after a while. Thanks.

Try changing the port setting. Go to Network Settings > Advanced Settings > Alternate Port Selection > Manual and it will give you a list of 6 or 7 selectable ports, just select any port that isn't already selected. I think it usually goes to 3074 by default so try a different one.
Hm I haven't tried this one. Good idea.

sucks doing so but I would do a factory reset. after that, call support.
Yea I'll do this as last resort.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Microsoft isn’t a hardware company, this is why their hardware has a history of sucking and probably will for the foreseeable future.

Please cite documented defects with the Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X and the Series consoles. I still have 2 launch Xbox Ones, an S, an X, a Series X and S. NONE have had a single issue.

Otherwise, you're just drive-by trolling.

NonPhixion

Maybe it’s running 3-5c hotter now?
But seriously tho, is there a factory reset option for the xsx? I would try that first.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Please cite documented defects with the Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X and the Series consoles. I still have 2 launch Xbox Ones, an S, an X, a Series X and S. NONE have had a single issue.

Otherwise, you're just drive-by trolling.

ManaByte

Gold Member

That's just a troubleshooting article. They have the same thing for the PS4:

Again, provide documented evidence of a widespread RROD type of defect on any Xbox hardware released after 2013. If you can't you're just drive-by trolling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom