• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's wrong with my Xbox Series X?

i've had an issue where the internet would connect and disconnect constantly. Wireless or wired. Happened like twice. Any issues i've had just go away after a day. Restarting or unplugging etc

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

ManaByte

i've had an issue where the internet would connect and disconnect constantly. Wireless or wired. Happened like twice. Any issues i've had just go away after a day. Restarting or unplugging etc

This is what MS suggests for that, sound like just a network issue:

Settings > Network Settings > Advanced Settings > Alternate Mac Address > Clear it and the console should restart. It would definitely help if you could restart the internet router while the console is restarting.

After going through the troubleshooting steps mentioned, I invite you to perform a quick power cycle by turning off the console and then unplugging all the cables. After 2 to 3 minutes, re-plug them back again, then restart your console.

Another thing you should check is your NAT type. I would like you to check your NAT type if open because that could sometimes interfere. to check for the NAT type you can follow the steps below:

Settings > Network Settings > NAT type => It should be open.

If the NAT type is not open, you will need to open some ports with your internet provider. These ports must be open for Xbox Live to work: Port 88 (UDP) Port 3074 (UDP and TCP) Port 53 (UDP and TCP) Port 80 (TCP) Port 500 (UDP) Port 3544 (UDP) Port 4500 (UDP).

• Thoughtful
Good idea. I'll try that too.

Don't have anything attached except the play and charge kit cable. I'll remove it anyway.

Looks like I'll do the same. Hopefully it works again after a while. Thanks.

Hm I haven't tried this one. Good idea.

Yea I'll do this as last resort.
Did you use your phone to connect to your Xbox? That was one of the best ideas because it would help isolate the issue. Worst comes to worst you can easily sent the system to MS for na exchange. I had a turnaround in about a week.

• Thoughtful

Kappa

Go into the settings and do a full shutdown. Not the quick one from holding the xbox button on the controller

• Thoughtful

vypermajik

I turn it on and it takes a few seconds longer. When I'm finally in, everything's loaded except it says connect to Xbox live or whatever it is. I can't do anything without that. When I click on that, it takes me to the network settings and it shows me everything's running fine. I back out to the dashboard but I still have the same message.

I tried changing the DNS, worked once but then same happened again. Tried putting my Xbox in DMZ in my router. Worked once but back to the same issue again.

It started happening a few days ago and ignored it at first thinking it's just Live maintenance. But it's been happening every time I switch on my Xbox. And it only goes back to normal again after I restart it.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but my Xbox play and charge battery stopped charging during this same time.

What's happening to my Xbox? :(

Anyone know what else I can do? Anyone had this issue? Please tell me it's not dying already.
Did you try a factory reset?

ManaByte

Microsoft has been making hardware since 1982.

dcmk7

Banned
Please cite documented defects with the Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X and the Series consoles. I still have 2 launch Xbox Ones, an S, an X, a Series X and S. NONE have had a single issue.

Otherwise, you're just drive-by trolling.
Excluding Xbox 360..

Dj Khaled Yes GIF by VH1

Corndog

Banned
you might not have noticed issues because either you were lucky or you didn't have a direct comparison.

because some games have degraded performance when instant on is used for too long without reboot, and some games can even crash on you
Must have a memory leak if that’s the case

sinnergy

Use dns 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 can be put in Xbox settings , no need for router adjust . Hope that helps

Fixed stuff for me , like Netflix not loading at all.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

TLZ

Banned
Maybe it’s running 3-5c hotter now?
But seriously tho, is there a factory reset option for the xsx? I would try that first.
Yea there is. But I want to use it as last resort.

This is what MS suggests for that, sound like just a network issue:
I'm going to try these steps. Thanks for posting them!

Did you use your phone to connect to your Xbox? That was one of the best ideas because it would help isolate the issue. Worst comes to worst you can easily sent the system to MS for na exchange. I had a turnaround in about a week.
Yea I'm going to try it today. If all else fails I'll definitely have to send it. But I still hope I don't have to.

Go into the settings and do a full shutdown. Not the quick one from holding the xbox button on the controller
What does this do? Never though of it. I'll defo try it.

Did you try a factory reset?
Will do as last resort.

If it's a wireless conflict then try using an ethernet to wireless adapter and see if that will help out.

ABDx-ER-DP551_72rgb450px_251320180822044358.jpg
My consoles are always wired ;)

Hope you get it sorted op
Thanks. I hope so..

ManaByte

Wait, what? I am able to connect my Series X controller to my PC using Bluetooth. I see it as a Bluetooth device when I set it up on my PC.

Are you saying MS has decided to add 2 types of communication peripherals in their controller? One for connecting to the Series X (this proprietary wireless protocol you speak of), and one for connecting to PC or other platforms(Bluetooth)?

Or are you saying they are sending this "proprietary wireless protocol" using bluetooth? Because that is still using bluetooth.

The newer controllers (Xbox One S on) have both bluetooth (so you can connect it to a PC or mobile phone) and Xbox Wireless. The Xbox One launch controllers do not have bluetooth.

ManaByte

I assumed this was not the case anymore since I was not able to connect my Series X controller to my old Xbox pc Adaptor. I had to buy a Bluetooth dongle to connect the new Series X controller to my PC. Maybe I screwed something up trying to set it up with my old xbox adapter.

The console doesn't support Bluetooth. Only Xbox Wireless. So when you're connecting the controller to the console it uses Xbox Wireless.

first of all, whatever you do, and this is a PSA for every Xbox and Playstation user:

DO 👏 NOT 👏 USE 👏 INSTANT 👏 ON 👏 STANDBY 👏 REGULARLY

or don't use it at all if you don't absolutely need to (for example to download stuff while leaving the console on)

don't do it... never do it... especially with these new consoles, they boot so fast it's useless...
PLEASE 👏 SHUT 👏 THE 👏 FUCK 👏 UP !!!

Lol kidding. No seriously, it shouldn't be an issue to use that feature.
I've used this feature for as long as I owned my PS4 and it's never caused me any issues.

But I do agree these new consoles boot up really fast that instant on is not really needed. When I had my Xbox Series S, the thing started up so quickly anyways, I didn't honestly see the need to keep instant on feature enabled.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Thanks for all your responses.

I think I've managed to finally fix it after hours of testing many things. Changing LAN cables, connecting wirelessly, clearing MAC address, changing ports, etc.

There's an option in my router under PnP called "Secure Mode Enabled". Under help, it's described as "Secure Mode Enabled:
In secure mode, a device or application can only create port mappings for itself."

Now I'm unsure how this would affect anything. Shouldn't it be the usual for a device or app to create a port for itself only?

Anyway, I switched it off. And bam, the issue stopped happening. I turned the Xbox off and on 4 times and every time it worked like it used to just fine. Maybe this was automatically turned on after a router update.

Whatever the case, I'm relieved. Hopefully it stays this way and this issue doesn't show up again.

I think I've managed to finally fix it after hours of testing many things. Changing LAN cables, connecting wirelessly, clearing MAC address, changing ports, etc.

There's an option in my router under PnP called "Secure Mode Enabled". Under help, it's described as "Secure Mode Enabled:
In secure mode, a device or application can only create port mappings for itself."

Now I'm unsure how this would affect anything. Shouldn't it be the usual for a device or app to create a port for itself only?

Anyway, I switched it off. And bam, the issue stopped happening. I turned the Xbox off and on 4 times and every time it worked like it used to just fine. Maybe this was automatically turned on after a router update.

Whatever the case, I'm relieved. Hopefully it stays this way and this issue doesn't show up again.
Glad you got it working. I'd hate for this to turn into an 'Xbox Series consoles are smoking' discussion.

• LOL

Dream-Knife

Banned
first of all, whatever you do, and this is a PSA for every Xbox and Playstation user:

DO 👏 NOT 👏 USE 👏 INSTANT 👏 ON 👏 STANDBY 👏 REGULARLY

or don't use it at all if you don't absolutely need to (for example to download stuff while leaving the console on)

don't do it... never do it... especially with these new consoles, they boot so fast it's useless...
Why not?

TLZ

Banned
Glad you got it working. I'd hate for this to turn into an 'Xbox Series consoles are smoking' discussion.
Haha yea. I really didn't want my Xbox dying so soon. Not that I want it dying at any time anyway.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Did you provide such brilliant insight to the user that was having oddball issues with hiss ps5 a few days ago?
Anyway, 77 broken ps5s were sold on eBay in the past 60 days against 39 broken xbox series family, both these consoles represent about 1/3 of a percent of units sold on eBay I'd say the newest consoles are equally reliable
The Xbox 360 came out in 2005, the Xbox One in 2013. It's been nearly a DECADE with that hardware. People who bring up the RROD to attack hardware two generations newer are just trolling and you know it. It's like trying to claim the PS5 is defective due to the PS2's disc read errors or the PS3's YLOD.
Or the ultimate terrible designs, the original ps1, which used the cheapest plastic parts possible on the disk drive and had a 100% failure rate after around 5000 hours of use

TLZ

Banned
Guys please don't use this thread for console wars.

Btw, just to add, I've also went and disabled UPnP altogether. At first I only disabled secure mode under UPnP, but now I also disabled UPnP and NAT-PMP.

This is it for me. If the issue ever returns I'm straight doing a console refresh. And if that doesn't work, I'm contacting MS. Hopefully I won't have to.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Right. So here's the conclusion.

Exhausted all my options. Whole day wasted on this. There's something off with my LAN port. Wireless works normally. This has nothing to do with UPnP whatsoever. I don't know what happened with my LAN but it's shitting itself. Sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Both my PS5 and TV work through LAN still no issues. I even switched ports on the router just in case. Switched PS5 and Xbox cables. No dice.

Sadly, I'm going to have to contact MS. Good thing this happened before my warranty expired.

Sad and annoyed, but what to do. What a weird issue to have. Hopefully they have stock and I get a new one.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

For this to work properly, you have to have WAN route configured as static, the whole route have to be like that, so it either can be some shenanigans on IPS side or you maybe have a modem and then router/switch, etc. Lot's of variables. For me thins options didn't worked on fairly pro-level HW from Ubiquiti on VDSL WAN, after I made a switch to private fiber company everything started working fine.

However looking at the thread I didn't have an impression, that this is what is going on, especially with the controller also having issues.

jaysius

Banned
Right. So here's the conclusion.

Exhausted all my options. Whole day wasted on this. There's something off with my LAN port. Wireless works normally. This has nothing to do with UPnP whatsoever. I don't know what happened with my LAN but it's shitting itself. Sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Both my PS5 and TV work through LAN still no issues. I even switched ports on the router just in case. Switched PS5 and Xbox cables. No dice.

Sadly, I'm going to have to contact MS. Good thing this happened before my warranty expired.

Sad and annoyed, but what to do. What a weird issue to have. Hopefully they have stock and I get a new one.
It's an odd answer, but it could be the CAT5 or 6 cable itself, something random might have happened to it that impacts just this aspect. If you've "Switched cables" you should reset both the router and the console after you've switch cables.

If you're using the trash your ISP provides as a modem/router then try an actual good router in the mix and see if that works better. ISP routers are notoriously shit, no matter if you ISP is COMCAST or Bell.

I'm not sure an RMA is going to be easy to get as you're stating the wireless aspect works perfectly.

My Xbox 360 at my g/f's house was behaving as you're describing, it was the modem/router trash from the ISP that was shitting the bed, I had to input the ports I needed open and the Static IP of the 360 multiple places before the modem/router started working properly, and many reboots of both. Networking can be weird sometimes. Your modem/router might have upgraded it's firmware and fucked something up.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
It's an odd answer, but it could be the CAT5 or 6 cable itself, something random might have happened to it that impacts just this aspect. If you've "Switched cables" you should reset both the router and the console after you've switch cables.

If you're using the trash your ISP provides as a modem/router then try an actual good router in the mix and see if that works better. ISP routers are notoriously shit, no matter if you ISP is COMCAST or Bell.

I'm not sure an RMA is going to be easy to get as you're stating the wireless aspect works perfectly.

My Xbox 360 at my g/f's house was behaving as you're describing, it was the modem/router trash from the ISP that was shitting the bed, I had to input the ports I needed open and the Static IP of the 360 multiple places before the modem/router started working properly, and many reboots of both. Networking can be weird sometimes. Your modem/router might have upgraded it's firmware and fucked something up.
Thanks for the response.

Why would I have to reset both router and Xbox after switching cables though? Never had to do that before.

The router always worked great for years. Never complained once. Also everything connected to it still works great except the Xbox just went weird.

I've tried the static IP and opened ports but that still didn't work. As soon as I put it in wireless mode it works perfectly like it used to with cable without having to manually configure IPs or ports. Really weird issue.

I've also done the console refresh but that didn't work either.

Also, whatever problem my router created after updating, shouldn't that have affected all connections? Or at least all LAN connections? Why just the Xbox?

If it only happens with a wired connection and wireless is just fine, it’s about your modem/router. Had the same issue with my One X and Series X, solved it through buying a router, connecting it to the modem via Ethernet, then connecting your console to the router via cable. It’s gonna solve it.

Kappa

As with all electronics, Sometimes shit just breaks and needs a good restart. If you arent doing a full shutdown via the settings menu you never really turned off the console just put it into sleep mode. Always good to do it that way when you have wireless problems to refresh it

MacReady13

I had a similar issue just after launch. Turns out the 1tb card I had inserted into the console wasn't playing nice. They released a fix and all was well. I know get an issue where the screen will play funny on me saying the max resolution is 1080p, but boots up in 480p! Very weird issue.

Only other issue I have is laggy sound from my series x to my 4k tv. It literally sounds like the tv is responding a good half a second to a second behind what is actually happening on screen! All through Game mode on the TV too.

• Triggered

TLZ

Banned
If it only happens with a wired connection and wireless is just fine, it’s about your modem/router. Had the same issue with my One X and Series X, solved it through buying a router, connecting it to the modem via Ethernet, then connecting your console to the router via cable. It’s gonna solve it.
Well it was working just fine before. Also like I mentioned before, my two other devices, the PS5 and TV, wired to the router have no issues. I've also changed cables and changed ports. Still the same and the other two still worked fine.

As with all electronics, Sometimes shit just breaks and needs a good restart. If you arent doing a full shutdown via the settings menu you never really turned off the console just put it into sleep mode. Always good to do it that way when you have wireless problems to refresh it
I've done full shutdowns numerous times and still the same.

I had a similar issue just after launch. Turns out the 1tb card I had inserted into the console wasn't playing nice. They released a fix and all was well. I know get an issue where the screen will play funny on me saying the max resolution is 1080p, but boots up in 480p! Very weird issue.

Only other issue I have is laggy sound from my series x to my 4k tv. It literally sounds like the tv is responding a good half a second to a second behind what is actually happening on screen! All through Game mode on the TV too.
Yeesh. Have you tried a different HDMI cable maybe?

I thought since my controller kept disconnecting/reconnecting at the same time this happened, and also the play and charge kit stopped charging, maybe the controller was the issue doing weird stuff to the Xbox. So I put aside my play and charge kit aside for now. But the problem still happened.

Also thinking of it now, just remembered this all started happening right after Xbox updated both my controllers. Something in that update that f'd something up for me. Wish I could roll it back to check.

Connxtion

you tried removing all devices from the router/modem and rebooted the device and the Xbox fully and connecting only the Xbox to it?

As it could be a conflict IP, but then again that’s the point of DHCP and MAC addresses.

• Thoughtful

TLZ

Banned
you tried removing all devices from the router/modem and rebooted the device and the Xbox fully and connecting only the Xbox to it?

As it could be a conflict IP, but then again that’s the point of DHCP and MAC addresses.
Yea I thought of the IP conflict too. Checked all devices connected in my router's page and all is good.

TLZ

Banned
Hello everyone. I just wanted to finally conclude this thread with this:

It's my router. The Xbox is just fine. For some very odd reason after my router automatically updated, it started having issues with my XSX only when wired. I don't know why and don't know what. As you've seen from this thread, I've tried everything to no avail. This issue came and went several times. Today I decided to try a different old router I found in my store room and it worked flawlessly with my Xbox wired.

Finally, the only 2 solutions I have is putting my Xbox wireless, which works fine just much slower, or I change my router at some point.

Every single device I have works flawlessly with this router. I really would love to know why just Xbox is having issues with it after the router updated.

Anyway, thank you everyone for helping and reading.

elliot5

Hello everyone. I just wanted to finally conclude this thread with this:

It's my router. The Xbox is just fine. For some very odd reason after my router automatically updated, it started having issues with my XSX only when wired. I don't know why and don't know what. As you've seen from this thread, I've tried everything to no avail. This issue came and went several times. Today I decided to try a different old router I found in my store room and it worked flawlessly with my Xbox wired.

Finally, the only 2 solutions I have is putting my Xbox wireless, which works fine just much slower, or I change my router at some point.

Every single device I have works flawlessly with this router. I really would love to know why just Xbox is having issues with it after the router updated.

Anyway, thank you everyone for helping and reading.
Your router... Updated? On its own? It's it some isp rented one? Can you just revert back to a different firmware

TLZ

Banned
Your router... Updated? On its own? It's it some isp rented one? Can you just revert back to a different firmware
Yea. It's from my previous ISP (Telstra, Australia). Never had this silly auto update with any router before.

There's no option to revert sadly. I tried factory reset and that didn't work. It's the same one and just reset the settings. I really do like this router though. Its wifi coverage is great.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Because networking is a mess of non binding RFC’s (should = if you feel like it) which feels more like herding cats (vendors) than anything else. It reminds me of when I used to work at a big interoperability lab in the U.S. (UNH IoL) where actually two people got fired for taking OG Xbox motherboard pictures (pre-eelease) and we did some of the first big IPv6 interoperability test events too: that was a cool important place I felt because we were certifying for conformance not performance.

TLZ

Banned
Because networking is a mess of non binding RFC’s (should = if you feel like it) which feels more like herding cats (vendors) than anything else. It reminds me of when I used to work at a big interoperability lab in the U.S. (UNH IoL) where actually two people got fired for taking OG Xbox motherboard pictures (pre-eelease) and we did some of the first big IPv6 interoperability test events too: that was a cool important place I felt because we were certifying for conformance not performance.
I know what you mean.

Speaking of IPv6, I tried to get the Xbox to use it, but looks like my ISP doesn't offer it. Feels weird in 2021 it should be a given. Although in all honesty I can't remember what the benefits are now lol. Might not be that important anyway. All I remember back in 2002-2003 in uni we were told IPv6 was the future and we were going to transition starting back then. That was 19 years ago!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I know what you mean.

Speaking of IPv6, I tried to get the Xbox to use it, but looks like my ISP doesn't offer it. Feels weird in 2021 it should be a given. Although in all honesty I can't remember what the benefits are now lol. Might not be that important anyway. All I remember back in 2002-2003 in uni we were told IPv6 was the future and we were going to transition starting back then. That was 19 years ago!
Biggest promised benefit for me personally was the promise of doing away with NAT-ing as a means of expanding the IP range available. With everyone being able to have a static public IP you would be able to eliminate blocks to interconnected / multiplayer experiences that are normally known as “OMG, what Nat type is my console auto detecting?!?”.

Way too much money has been invested in legacy IPv4 networks and the resistance to replace something that is not broken yet is immense (they can allow IPv6 traffic to flow inside IPv4 networks and viceversa and moving to IPv6 only is still many years away).

• Thoughtful

nemiroff

Gold Member
Wait, what? I am able to connect my Series X controller to my PC using Bluetooth. I see it as a Bluetooth device when I set it up on my PC.
In that context, be aware that bluetooth will add a fuckton of lag (in my case ~200ms).. I bought a xbox wireless adapter for PC which reduce most of this controller lag, and they are cheap and easy to use.

Neff

So I finally got a Series X

Why are some 360 games going into the load screen, closing without an error message, and taking me back to the menu? Dead Space and Lost Odyssey are doing this.

Allandor

I turn it on and it takes a few seconds longer. When I'm finally in, everything's loaded except it says connect to Xbox live or whatever it is. I can't do anything without that. When I click on that, it takes me to the network settings and it shows me everything's running fine. I back out to the dashboard but I still have the same message.

I tried changing the DNS, worked once but then same happened again. Tried putting my Xbox in DMZ in my router. Worked once but back to the same issue again.

It started happening a few days ago and ignored it at first thinking it's just Live maintenance. But it's been happening every time I switch on my Xbox. And it only goes back to normal again after I restart it.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but my Xbox play and charge battery stopped charging during this same time.

What's happening to my Xbox? :(

Anyone know what else I can do? Anyone had this issue? Please tell me it's not dying already.
Funny enough, currently I have the same problem. In my case it is an unstable internet connection thx to my provider.
At the times the internet works for me and the next second it doesn't. So it can happen that I reach the Xbox live servers when I test it but for a few handshakes it is not enough. I hope tomorrow the technician finds the problem.
It is really annoying nowadays if your internet connection is unstable. E.g. Hitman 3 is almost unplayable when the game regularly shows popups that the server connection is gone and try to reconnect.
Somehow this always happens when I try to play Hitman ....

Go into offline mode if you have an unstable connection.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Glad you got the problem sorted OP.

These "seeking tech help" threads always derail into 50% of it being about console wars unfortunately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom