• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats Wrong With Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC ?

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
ok .. is it me or the game is hard to optimize?

I'm helpless when it comes to RDR2. I've been trying to make the perfect settings for my PC but still I feel there is something wrong with this game. I'm using 3080 Ti with Ryzen 9 5900X and playing on LG C1, the settings I made was on Ultra - 4K and I got from 60fps to 56fps but every while the frames drops to 40 and back to 60 then goes up to 80 at some point which give like a lagging feeling and thats made the experience unbearable . While other games run smooth and steady, but man if you have any idea what to do or maybe I'm doing it wrong just tell me please.

amigastar

I used this chart for my optimization
_id1573060917_343178.png

Larxia

Don't play on ultra. The insanely miniscule gains are not worth the massive loss in framerate. It's been this way for 20 years or so now. Or use some of the upscaling tech that's been added since release. Or both.
That's true and more people show be aware of that, with the exception however of texture quality in this game. The difference between high and ultra for texture quality is insane.

This game looks better with everything on medium and textures on ultra, rather than other higher settings but medium/high textures. It's the specific setting to have on ultra.

Last edited:

bargeparty

I'm helpless when it comes to RDR2. I've been trying to make the perfect settings for my PC but still I feel there is something wrong with this game. I'm using 3080 Ti with Ryzen 9 5900X and playing on LG C1, the settings I made was on Ultra - 4K and I got from 60fps to 56fps but every while the frames drops to 40 and back to 60 then goes up to 80 at some point which give like a lagging feeling and thats made the experience unbearable . While other games run smooth and steady, but man if you have any idea what to do or maybe I'm doing it wrong just tell me please.

DLSS?

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
That's true and more people show be aware of that, with the exception however of texture quality in this game. The difference between high and ultra for texture quality is insane.

This game looks better with everything on medium and textures on ultra, rather than other higher settings but medium/high textures. It's the specific setting to have on ultra.

The thing is there are too many settings like if I want to use DLSS is it better with DX12 or Vulkan ?

I'm so confused and I did play with ultra not because the luxury of it but because my pc can do that but it seems I need to go lower than that

Nickolaidas

Banned

That's the conclusion I've reached years ago as well. Best possible setting for textures, and medium lighting / shadows settings if you have performance issues. Half the games that give me stutter run perfectly once ambient occlusion is turned off, and I almost never see what changes visually by removing it.

bargeparty

I've never used DLSS form what I saw its not as good as native 4k and I could be wrong

Oh honey... What are you doing with an RTX if you're not using DLSS on every game that supports it?

Otherwise there's no chance of native 4k ultra 60fps on certain games.

You're on a tv as well right? How far away are you sitting? I doubt you'd even notice dropping to 1440p.

Can't remember if RDR2 has a resolution scaler but you can use that too.

Everyone should abandon the dream of native 4k/60 on ultra. Such a waste of resources.

Anyway.

Hugare

As others have already said: turn on DLSS on Quality mode and be happy

It may look even better than native

Im running the game with everything on Ultra / 1440p at 30 fps on a notebook with an RTX 2060

You can easily run it at 4K/60 with DLSS

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’ve also seen posts that the game got some graphical bugs with new patches.
That’s what I meant in ff7 thread. Why is your job on pc to search for god settings. Which make an impact and which don’t. They should have looked at the menu, tested all the settings and remove all options that don’t affect performance

Rickyiez

Hmm .. there might be something wrong with your performance . Same GPU here 3080 Ti , I had all mostly on ultra but dropped the AA . Granted mine is on 3440x1440 but with resolution scaling of 1.2x which made it very close to 4k and I'm still getting 80FPS plus most of the time .

I don't like AA in this game they just produce all the blurry ass edges and overall Picture Quality .

RDR2 is not only the best looking, but one of the best optimized games on the market.

I simply select 4K, set slider to the max and DLSS to quality. 3080 sits in the 70's and cpu wise it's around 120 fps, which is mind blowingly impressive for arguably the most advanced open world title.

In your case too much bloatware mayhaps?

Paasei

My performance went from good to bad, funnily enough. DLSS worked miracles for quite some time, so I decided to take it very slow and play through the game once again. After I got at the last chapter the game started to perform weirdly and just quite bad overall given how well it ran before. Odd square shaped shadows covering half the area’s and so on. Couldn’t find a way to get it sorted and get my fps back, so I ended up uninstalling it again.

Give ultrawide a try if black borders ain't a bother, works great for those RDR2 vistas too. The drop down to 3840x1620 should also give a nice performance boost and still look great 1:1 pixel mapped on a 4K display.

Turn shit up if you want to take photos.
Turn shit down if you want to play.

One of the biggest graphic effects that affects frames is shadows. Turn that shti down.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
4K-120 refresh rate
DLSS Quality
Ultra settings
Vsync on
Triple Buffering off
MSAA 8X
Water Physics 3/4
Vulkan

Thanks everyone, I'm happy now with 70 to 65 FPS its almost steady and smooth and yeah I know " why going ultra dude?! " because I have a beast and I'm not going easy just like that , thats why I walk from console gaming to PC gaming. I made some changes in Display setting regarding LG C1 and also Nividia CP, after that game is running smooth better than before.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Just wait it out : P.

WTF is MSAA x8 [forced in CP?] turn that nonsense off, it does nothing.

You should be able to enable G-sync in CP as C1 is VRR capable display? Force off V-sync in CP and limit fps with RTSS for ultimate smooth experience.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
WTF is MSAA x8 [forced in CP?] turn that nonsense off, it does nothing.

You should be able to enable G-sync in CP as C1 is VRR capable display? Force off V-sync in CP and limit fps with RTSS for ultimate smooth experience.

G-sync already enabled in CP .. and what do you mean by force off V-sync and RTSS ? Are these in Nvidia CP ?

amigastar

What does it do ?
It's basically a tweaking application for your graphics card. Just look it up, its quite useful.
You can use it with MSI Afterburner, another program i recommend (it shows you Temperature of your PC components in game etc.)

Last edited:

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
Strange, i have not had any problems whatsoever.
I guess you could always install DLSS 2.2 - 2.3 into RDR2
DLSS has some issues with RDR2. Image is over-sharpened and some noise around things like trees + hair in motion. You can manually update to a later release of DLSS tho

Kenpachii

Reflection quality at 4/4 and water quality = 50% performance hit
8x msaa = another 50% gone down the drain.

Avoid both.

DLSS implementation in RDR2 is dogshit however, if you can deal with it more power to you. AA in general in the game is shit.

PC has too many issues iirc

There is no issue with PC.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
and yeah I know " why going ultra dude?! " because I have a beast and I'm not going easy just like that , thats why I walk from console gaming to PC gaming.
Reminds me of 13 years ago buying my 9800 GTX and being annoyed I couldn't run Crysis at max settings. Or a few years later getting my GTX 680 and not being able to run Witcher 2 Ubersampling. A lot of those settings are either super unoptimized or meant for much better "future" hardware. DLSS kinda alleviates that problem quite a bit now though if you have the right hardware.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

A lot of settings on PC games are there for future hardware. the same goes for witcher 3 and witcher 2 and cyberpunk.

If your game doesn't die out on top end hardware at ultra settings then u are not pushing the settings far enough in the options.

G-sync already enabled in CP .. and what do you mean by force off V-sync and RTSS ? Are these in Nvidia CP ?
Open NVCP > Manage 3D settings > scroll down Vertical sync set it to off and apply.

RTSS comes with Afterburner and it's a must have app for every PC gamer. You'll be able to cap your frame rate, see your gpu, cpu, sys ram usage. Downvolt your card to use less power and make it nearly inaudible by setting your fan speed to constant, so no more annoying fan sound changes. You can set a toggle to on/off to any random button conf, I have it on Alt + ] Capture your gameplay screenshots in BMP... etc, etc.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Open NVCP > Manage 3D settings > scroll down Vertical sync set it to off and apply.

RTSS comes with Afterburner and it's a must have app for every PC gamer. You'll be able to cap your frame rate, see your gpu, cpu, sys ram usage. Downvolt your card to use less power and make it nearly inaudible by setting your fan speed to constant, so no more annoying fan sound changes. You can set a toggle to on/off to any random button conf, I have it on Alt + ] Capture your gameplay screenshots in BMP... etc, etc.

Do I really need Afterburner?
I'm not going to overclock anything and my gpu runs cool and quiet so my cpu, and I have NZXT cam .. I don't really need many apps in my PC so if its not a mandatory then I'll just leave it

Last edited:
Do I really need Afterburner?
I'm not going to overclock anything and my gpu runs cool and quiet so my cpu, and I have NZXT cam .. I don't really need many apps in my PC so if its not a mandatory then I'll just leave it
Overclocking is only a tiny part of the app. Once you downvolt the gpu, not only you increase perf, but will be even quieter as well. You already have an unproven app installed on your pc that has not even 1/10 th of the features and could possibly have higher utilization.

More importantly how do you cap your framerate without Afterburner? Most in game caps are not even as good or nearly as consistent, not to mention most games don't even have fps cap in the first place, as devs presume you're still using old school vsync display even though VRR capable displays are out for many years now. Afterburner fixes this huge oversight.

Over 98% gpu utilization makes the game much less responsive. A 60 fps capped game will have much lower latency than the same game running at over 80 fps but is maxing your gpu.

Heres a video showing the numbers [it's definitely a head scratching phenomenon] :

TLDR maxed GPU will decrease games responsiveness by up to 70% .

Top Bottom