• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Your Favorite Gaming Company of ALL Time (Living or Defunct)?

YOUR Favorite Gaming Company

• Total voters

SpartanN92

Banned
2001-2010 Era Bungie.
During that time they made 5 of the best FPS shooters ever. They were my favorite studio ever... then they changed :(

cireza

Banned
I voted for SEGA, I think this should be fine with OP.

I also like Koei Tecmo a lot.

Last edited:

Raph64

No idea, it's lame, I couldn't vote until a while ago either.

Also, why is it that you can’t post threads if you’re a neo member. All I can do for now is either replying to existing threads or start conversations with members.

You have to be promoted to a member to post threads or what ?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Also, why is it that you can’t post threads if you’re a neo member. All I can do for now is either replying to existing threads or start conversations with members.

You have to be promoted to a member to post threads or what ?
Yes you have to become member, after some amount of comments/time, I'm not entirely sure. If you voted for SEGA I'd put in a good word for you but you can't so...

Edit; woo, page 3 already, this shows GAF is good at discussioning SEGA's awesomeness even if the poll somehow got borked to not have them first , I knew I should have skipped Nintendo like Sony/MS...

Last edited:

Raph64

Yes you have to become member, after some amount of comments/time, I'm not entirely sure. If you voted for SEGA I'd put in a good word for you but you can't so...

Edit; woo, page 3 already, this shows GAF is good at discussioning SEGA's awesomeness even if the poll somehow got borked to not have them first :)

Oh, I see.

Let’s say my vote counts for Sega and Nintendo nevertheless :messenger_grinning:

It's difficult to look beyond Nintendo for consistency, quality and longevity.

When I look at my personal top 10, it's rather dominated by them- with Breath of the Wild, Ocarina of Time, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island all making the cut so I suppose they're my favourite developer too.

If I really evaluate Sega objectively, it doesn't look that good. Their games have a tendency to not age worth a crap, and I feel like most of their impressive games were essentially arcade tech showcases. Sonic didn't age nearly as well as Mario because it really was a technical showcase game. "Look at me, the first platformer that has what can be considered rudimentary physics, and it moves fast." The ModelX games are legendary but because of the graphics not the gameplay. Are any of them really worth playing today over other games? Not really. Streets of Rage was always just a poor man's Final Fight and is ludicrously overrated. They also tend to get a lot of credit for games that they published but really had nothing to do with the development of, too, like Gunstar Heroes and Guardian Heroes, which were really 100% Treasure. If I just look purely at seminal awesome games that are still awesome today, Capcom, Konami, and Nintendo completely smoke Sega.

This is by some considerable distance the worst hot take I've ever read on Neogaf (and believe me that's saying something).

Thank you for revealing yourself so I know to immediately disregard as completely worthless any opinion you may have on anything video game related ever again.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I assumed dirthead was kidding, I mean, SEGA rules, but it's ok if someone is blind to it too :)

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Nice, SEGA's Herzog Zwei and the Dreamcast's Record of Lodoss War and Quake 3 Arena port are better than all those but that's some good subjective opinioning you got there.

I believe the first RTS i've played was Dune 2. Herzog Zwei was released before any consoles or computers were available in eastern Germany (former DDR), so i don't know that game. My first console back then was the Atari 2600 followed by the SEGA Master System 2. SEGA is awesome for sure and they started it for me, but Blizzard just took my heart with their games.

Unfortunately i never played Record of Lodoss War but i absolutely forgot about Q3A, which i loved back then. I will never forget all the school lessons in computer science were we played Q3A and everytime the teacher would check out computers we alt-tab out of the game because back then teacher didn't know anything about computers.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
A favorite living company:
220px-Arc_System_Works.png

I like Arc, but I think Examu is also worth mentioning and very underrated compared to their history. Their main specialty werent even fighting games, but board and simulation games. Formerly known as Yuki Enterprises and Random House
Examu_Logo.jpg

dopey

'Quest', the hours of enjoyment I've had from games like Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Tactics Ogre Knight of Lodis is probably only surpassed by Starcraft Broodwars. It's a shame the company is no more.

dirthead

Banned
It's difficult to look beyond Nintendo for consistency, quality and longevity.

When I look at my personal top 10, it's rather dominated by them- with Breath of the Wild, Ocarina of Time, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island all making the cut so I suppose they're my favourite developer too.

This is by some considerable distance the worst hot take I've ever read on Neogaf (and believe me that's saying something).

Thank you for revealing yourself so I know to immediately disregard as completely worthless any opinion you may have on anything video game related ever again.

Yeah actually it wasn't a hot take. It's my opinion of Sega (that's heavily backed up by experience). Their games generally haven't aged worth a crap. So many of the old Nintendo, Konami, and Capcom games are still awesome today. Most of the Sega games aren't. I can't even play any of the Sonic games today without getting bored. Yoshi's Island and Mario 64 are still awesome. Even though I've already beaten it so many times, every time I pick up Super Metroid again, it's engrossing until the end. Sega never made a game nearly as good as Super Metroid. Afterburner and Space Harrier get boring after about 5 minutes. There are about 75 fighting games I'd rather play than Virtua Fighter 2 and 3, Street Fighter 2's still as fun today as it was in 1991. Sega never made a game as good as Resident Evil 4. The 16-bit Shinobis--with the exception of 3, which almost scrapes by--feel dated and boring if you play them today, yet the good Castlevania games are still magical. Sega is one of the most innovative companies of all time, and their 80s and 90s arcade games were essentially a glimpse at the future of game technology. The problem is that there's almost no point in playing any of those games today because the tech doesn't matter anymore and they have to stand on their gameplay.

The funny thing is that I probably like Sega more than you do. It's just that I can step back and see that the games just haven't held up that well.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Guys I think something is wrong with me. Every time I see a poll I'm starting to get physically angry as of recent. It's like chinese water torture or something.

Please lets not perpetuate the overuse of this tool. Not to sound mean, but I don't really give a damn what your favorite anything is. If you're reading this, yes I'm talking to you. I just want to get back to the somewhat intelligent conversation that led me to sign up on this site in the first place. This is turning into (enter internet gaming news conglomerate website here).

dottme

I’ll go with LucasArt and more specifically during the era of their point and click games. They’ve done a lot of good games like:
- Day of the Tentacle
-Sam and Max
- multiple Indiana Jones

dirthead

Banned
Guys I think something is wrong with me. Every time I see a poll I'm starting to get physically angry as of recent. It's like chinese water torture or something.

Please lets not perpetuate the overuse of this tool. Not to sound mean, but I don't really give a damn what your favorite anything is. If you're reading this, yes I'm talking to you. I just want to get back to the somewhat intelligent conversation that led me to sign up on this site in the first place. This is turning into (enter internet gaming news conglomerate website here).

Polls aren't nearly as bad as reposting some gender studies link and saying "SEE? RESETERA WOULD GET ITS PANTIES IN A BUNCH OVER THIS, BUT WE DON'T CARE, RITE GUYZ?" and then proceeding to have 40 pages of the same exact discussion that would take place there.

Pejo

Other - Squaresoft. Created some of my all time favorite games, influenced my gaming tastes for decades. I read enough articles to know that they likely would have collapsed regardless of the Enix merger, but I do miss them. Seeing their name on a box was an instant seal of quality in my mind.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Criterion Games output from 2001 to 2012
-Burnout
-Burnout 2: Point of Impact
-Burnout 3: Takedown
-Burnout Revenge
-Burnout Legends
-Black
-Burnout Paradise
-Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
-Need for Speed: Most Wanted

One of the most underrated developers ever. Never made a less than good game in that stretch.
And the first five games were even great games :).

My number one is Nintendo, followed by Sega. So my first two choices are present in the poll, better than some other polls!

kunonabi

If im going by companies at the height of their glory then my answer is Konami. They have 4 games in my all time top ten which is hard to argue with.

StormCell

If im going by companies at the height of their glory then my answer is Konami. They have 4 games in my all time top ten which is hard to argue with.

And what are they?

I'm betting that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Metal Gear Solid are two of them. Am I right?

Lucumo

kondo_falcom.png

They create incredible worlds, are always spot on gameplay-wise and level design is also a great quality from them.
Pre-2009 at least. 2009 and onwards is just bad and sad at the same time. Used to be a huge Falcom fan, not anymore though.

Don't really have a favorite gaming company, there were too many really good ones. Pre-merger Blizzard, Westwood, Sega (mostly in their console/arcade days), Looking Glass Studios, Black Isle, id Software, pre-2000 Rare etc etc.

iconmaster

Banned
Rare in their Nintendo glory years. Beautiful art and music, game design that at least approached Nintendo's best, and a quirky British sense of humor that showed through not only in their games but in their communication with fans. (Mr. Pants answers your questions!)

PSFan

I really feel like Sierra is mostly a nostalgia trip and their reputation was more due to lack of competition than actual quality. I mean really, they had good music and art, but design wise they were almost all crap with their infamous nonsensical puzzles designed to get people to call 1-900 numbers. I can't think of a single "classic" Sierra adventure game that I could actually say has good gameplay with a straight face. As soon as the Texas shareware companies cropped up and started releasing real video games for the PC and Sierra had some competition, they basically died overnight. It's not a coincidence.

Oh bullshit to that. Back then EVERY company had a 900 hint line not just Sierra. Even Nintendo did with their so called "game counselors". Sierra was a gaming pioneer and was always on top of the latest technology with their games, while still supporting their consumers who don't rush to upgrade their PCs when new hardware came out. Their games are classics and iconic and I still enjoy them today, I have all my original disks as well as rebought them on Steam and GOG.

And they didn't "die overnight" as you put it. Ken Williams basically get screwed over by the company that was buying up all the software companies under their umbrella. Can't remember the name at the moment though.

TacosNSalsa

Capcom: Street Fighter series , resident evil 1-3 , MHW
Konami: Silent Hill 1-3, Castlevania series, Contra , Gradius...fuck they have such a good legacy . Sad to see the direction they've been going in recently .
Other: SNK ..Damn near all their fighting games I enjoyed and Metal Slug

Diddy X

Capcom probably, not really favourite as I've never cared about companys but Capcom has released some of the best sagas.

kunonabi

And what are they?

I'm betting that Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Metal Gear Solid are two of them. Am I right?

Nope.

Eyeshield 21 Amefuto no Yarouze YaHa
Silent Hill
Silent Hill 3
Castlevania 64

Sotn is in my top 100 but I much prefer the classic CV games and as far as the Castletroids go I actually prefer Circle of the Moon and Portrait of Ruin.

I'm not a huge MGS fan so only two entries are in my top 100. Snake Eater is in the top 100 and The Phantom Pain is in my top 50. I like the first MGS I just never fell in love with it.

Daymos

Square/enix, but I feel like they are as popular as trump so I voted Nintendo. ff7 is the only reason I ever bought a playstation and since ff7, 9, 10/2, and 12 are now coming to switch I'm geeking out like you could NEVER imagine. I never really liked Sony for all those years we were together.. I just faked it to get what i wanted!

Last edited:

HyGogg

Banned
It's hard to beat Sega's body of work. They've put out thousands of games, and maybe not all of them hold up, but hundreds of them do, and it's hard to think of anyone else I can say that about.

Treasure is also high on my list.

Mr.Bond

I would say Rockstar, in 39 years of gaming i had never been so emotionally invested like i did with both RDRs, and i don't know how many hours of my life i spent playing gta since vice city.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
I'm too young to vote, but I'd probably go for Midway

MK
NBA JAM
NFL BLITZ

Top Bottom