• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite let's play from a you tuber that you enjoy, and why?

I don't mind adding new you tube subscriptions now and then, so I thought this would be a fun topic. Rather than just asking about gaming channels, let's be more specific and go with only let's plays, and a request that you post your absolute favorite example of their work.

Please only embed one example video from a single you tube let's player, although feel free to link to a playlist video. If you'd would like to post more videos, please just link to them.

You Tuber: Psychedelic Eyeball
Playthrough: Spelunky

I really like this let's play because it goes over pretty much EVERYTHING this game has to over, and does it with the sense of discovery that the actual game offers. You're never told about game content before you see it, and everything has an element of adventure. Other recommended let's plays from Psychedelic Eyeball include his Super Meat Boy series, Mega Man X series, and Grand Theft Auto series. He also plays a lot of older games, including a bunch of Commodore 64 titles that don't see very much attention.

Last edited:

Helios

Used to watch Super Best Friends Play back when they were playing SH:Downpour. Came back when they started to let's play the DMC series. They hype is real.
I also watch NorthernLion regularly. Pretty much the only guy that could make 3000 Isaac episodes and still be interesting.
I play my games. It’s silly to want to watch someone play a game
I watch them while playing something like Diablo. Double the entertainment.

ROMhack

I've been a member of a streaming community since 2010 so I really don't get YouTube. It's no fun to me not being to interact with the streamer as the play or talk in chat to others.

I think walkthroughs are cool though but definitely best when they're trying to be helpful, not entertaining.

Last edited:

Dommel

But there's another way to enjoy Let's Plays.

I did this with Epicnamebro's Dark Souls playthroughs.

I'd start playing and after each session watch his videos to see what I might have missed and to see the difference in approach to certain situations.

I stopped watching when he reached the same point I was at and then continue playing, rinse and repeat.

This actually made me enjoy the game more and also pushed me to keep playing longer.

nkarafo

If i watch a game video play through it's always a longplay. I prefer hearing the music and sound effects of the games instead of a narrator.

Beard of the Forest

The No. 1 cause of forest fires is trees.
Some games are more about being a cinematic story telling experience than a fun to play game. With games like those, I'm fine with just watching a youtube video to discover the story. In fact, I prefer having someone else do all the grunt work for me while I just sit back and watch the cut scenes. I'd much rather simply play games that focus on gameplay though. I also like to watch Draegast's videos on Besiege and Trailmakers showcasing what crazy engineering marvels people have created with such limited tools. It's nice to have a nice curated overview of creations people have made without having to wade through the boring crap. Anything I'm interested in I can simply download and test with the link provided.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
TheDarkID's Drakengard Let's Plays are hilarious and irreverent., but, they also really showcase Yoko Taro's twisted imagination.
Its a killer combination, and if you haven't read them before they are also a great primer for Nier/Nier Automata's backstory.

Find em all on lparchive.

Last edited:

ROMhack

TheDarkID's Drakengard Let's Plays are hilarious and irreverent., but, they also really showcase Yoko Taro's twisted imagination.
Its a killer combination, and if you haven't read them before they are also a great primer for Nier/Nier Automata's backstory.

Find em all on lparchive.

They're text-based right? Like he writes up the story? I'm fairly sure I've seen his Xenogears stuff.

I do kinda like that. It's like a weird take on fan-fiction.

Last edited:
I don't watch many Let's plays, but I really enjoyed watching Zoopy Joobles' Let's Play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Actually helped me get my first, and only (so far), win on DCSS. Sadly, he doesn't seem to do them anymore which is unfortunate. He has a nice calm voice and has lute music playing (in most) in the background which goes quite well.

Codes 208

I enjoy watching PBG and Space hamster for their rom hack videos, vanoss gaming crew for gta5, gmod and Mario kart (basically any video before half of them became fortnite streamers)

Game grumps for lazy day background commentary as well as Team four star’s nuzlocke and drunk souls playthroughs. Long live Mr. Stake and onion bro

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They're text-based right? Like he writes up the story? I'm fairly sure I've seen his Xenogears stuff.

I do kinda like that. It's like a weird take on fan-fiction.

Yeah mostly text and screen-grabs, lots of links for videos and music though. They are very long and complete, impressive amount of work to tell the truth.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
There are only so many games I have time to play myself but I want to play more games than I have acutally time for.

Started to clear parts of my backlog this year by watching LetsPlay during meals or breakes at work. LOVE it. For instance I checked of the enitre Broken Sword series like that. Watched the first 4 parts as Lets Play and the played the final one myself at home. Currently watching LetsPlays of Lost Planet 1+2 and will then play the final one myself.

@topic: From the Dark (Bloodborne) of ENB because he‘s not just playing the game but explaining lots of the lore along the way. Absolute brilliant LetsPlay.

Last edited:

Doom85

Even though it's one of their earliest, I love Best Friends Play's LP of Silent Hill: Downpour. Not only did it get me into the Silent Hill series (ironically by showing the 2nd worst game in the franchise, Homecoming of course being the worst), but it has so many hilarious moments:

- Matt accidentally throwing the fire axe (the best weapon in the game) into one of the town's chasms. He also forgets the controls later and just starts always throwing his weapon at enemies accidentally which sometimes is more effective
- Matt having way too much trouble following Pat's directions and Pat getting increasingly annoyed
- the Tour Guide Nixon voice
- when Matt gets his first weapon, the game immediately prompts him to throw it at a nearby bird (for no reason). Matt does so despite wondering what's the point and thus loses his weapon
- Matt constantly checking every item (most are weapons far weaker than whatever you're generally holding) causing Pat to freak out ("What's that?" "THAT'S BRICKS!")
- THE TRAIN GUY WAS DRUNK
- "I don't know what this is. It's a red angry ball!"
- the bad enemy AI causing one monster to attack, then run around the room, and finally just leave (add the fact that the monster designs are terrible just adds to the hilarity)
- the hilariously stupid mine cart ride (complete with monkeys, a cheap rip-off of Doctor Who's Weeping Angels, and a stupid monster face talking to you)
- "here we go, here we go, key rack" Sounds like a song, but it's actually an example of the game's mixed bag of voice acting. We get another great example of it with Murphy's hilarious screaming when he falls a plank
- reading the hotel note about the bizarre schedule of the guests (fried chicken with milk? Do you hate your stomach?)
- discussing if Silent Hill or Detroit is the worst town in the US (Detroit wins as worst unless Robocop is present)
- Pat sounding really genuine that a jump scare actually caused both of them to piss all over themselves
- Matt insisting "nagitama" is a word
- both of them screaming "**** you!" at the end of the credits when the words "Thank You For Playing" pop up

I could go on, but seriously SH Downpour is a game born to be mocked. It's not the worst but where it fails it do so hilariously.

hivsteak

I'll break the rules and post three!

Keepetclassy - Aaron and Gabriel Morton. They are the smallest channel I follow and post a lot of content. Its hard to not like Gabe and Aaron.

Let's Drown Out - Yahtzee Croshaw of Zero Punctuation and Gabriel Morton. Every video is great and I could listen to them talk for hours. They had a good run before Yahtzee moved to the US.

Robbaz - I stumbled upon his videos when I was thinking about buying a Vive. He is quite creative and always has good ideas, but sometimes a childish sense of humor gets in the way.

Super Best Friends Play, one of my recent favs was 'a way out' cause its like co op with rival elements and since theyre good chucklefuck friends it was a blast. Besides their laugh factor they also notice a lot of technical things I dont about games and when they play things (like the punisher) where one of them knows a lot they add a lot of cool lil infos

Airbus Jr

Banned
Used to watch LPDarkSoulsHD for walkthrough

Helps me alot to finish Dark Souls, Dark Sousl 1-3 + Bloodborne

Supergreatfriend's LP of Deadly Premonition is still one of the most interesting playthroughs I've watched. He goes through almost every interesting detail and wrinkle in the game while letting the story shine through. His formats are always so interesting. I'd actually like to see him play the Danganronpa series since I can't really find anyone who isn't annoying as hell that LPs that series.

Mackers

Honestly it's a habit I feel I need to drop. They just aren't particularly good to watch. I could be playing a game OR watching something worthwhile. I'll watch let's plays of games like Stellaris which I've just started playing to help boost my knowledge of the mechanics along.

If it counts I'll recommend Retro Replay with Troy Baker and Nolan North. More an entertainment show where they play an old game. But a good way to spend half an hour once a week.

GG Gab playing through Fatal Frame. Specifically FF1. You can tell she loves the games and enjoys every moment of it.

And a big shoutout to GameTrailers playing through Shenmue 2 but the YouTube videos appear to have been deleted. And another to Giantbomb for the Persona Endurance Run, Shenmue Endurance Run, and Metal Gear Scanlon.

Edit: Got too excited to post and didn’t read the OP. Lol. Too lazy to edit in links.

Last edited:

Shifty

The very first thing that comes to mind is MatthewMatosis' single-video full playthrough / analysis of the original Devil May Cry:

He breaks down the whole game and contextualizes the discussion directly with gameplay, which I found to be a fantastic format. Bonus points for the irish accent.
This one is kind of cheating though, since full playthroughs are the exception rather than the rule on his channel.

So for a more traditional answer, I loved the Super Best Friends' playthrough of Deadly Premonition. I was in stitches the first time they used the fast travel mechanic and lost their shit at the sound of screeching tires, and the game is weird and janky enough that it plays perfectly with their style of humor.

Also, Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus' lets plays of Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3, 4, Peace Walker and Rising are all excellent. They're a fun , good-natured pair of personalities and their LPs are always flawlessly researched and executed. They cover everything in each game, secrets and obscure easter eggs included, all while seamlessly weaving between hard facts, extensive lore knowledge and improv humor. Well worth a watch.

My top 3 favorites Lets Plays are
Please only embed one example video from a single you tube let's player, although feel free to link to a playlist video. If you'd would like to post more videos, please just link to them.
:pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Koopatrol

Mine would probably be somethingwugga's Let's Iron Man Super Meat Boy. I believe he did this let's play because of Psychedelic Eyeball. It pretty much motivated me to get the platinum for the game. Here's his video for Dark Cotton Alley.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This, especially as become harder to find time to play games, why should I waste my time watching someone else play games when I can just use that time to play games myself?

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
I think that too... But every time I think that, I think of my grandpa right after. And how I might be emulating him in the future by refusing to acknowledge the fact that streaming must have some kind of merit. It's just that I can't see it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom