• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your most disappointing sequel?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Forgot about Bioshock 2.

First one was one of the best games ever made.. Sequel was just your typical AAA game. Big downgrade in every department especially writing.

Holammer

Kotor 2 & Final Fantasy 8.
Both games have fans, but I was gravely disappointed by both of them. The unlikable douchenozzle protagonist in FF8 really killed it for me. So edgy!

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Gears of War 4. It was my most anticipated game at the time even though I didn't like Gears of War 3 and it was very bad imo

The only part I throughly enjoyed was near the end fighting in the huge DeeBee mechs

They redeemed themselves with Gears 5 and I grew to like JD and how he tried to live up to Marcus

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Fear 2 after how good Fear 1 was, still my no 1 fps,
Fallout 4 after Fallout 3 and New Vegas, a good game but not a good Rpg,
Unreal 2, no where near as good as Unreal,
GTA 4 following San Andreas, at the time, the game lacked the feel and fun of SA. it took the Dlc's to bring that back,
Also Shadow of War mtx game after how good Shadow of Mordor was and Doom Eternal after the the much better Doom 2016 as well.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Supreme Commander 2 - made a play for the console audience and had to dumb everything down and strip out almost everything that made the original great.

small_law

Prince of Persia Warrior Within: count yourselves lucky if you're too young to remember the 2000's battitude era of gaming.
Twisted Metal 3: Twisted Metal Black was the sequel everyone wanted, TM3 was a badly rushed cash-in.
Halo 4: I'll die on this hill. Everyone gave 343 a pass because it was their first Halo game. No one should have. Time proves me right.
Crackdown 2: they took everything that worked in the first game and ruined it by adding zombies. The franchise never recovered.

Wave Race Blue Storm. Wave Race 64 is one of my all-time favourite games. So for the sequel they decide to make the handling rubbish, the graphics bland and less colourful, and make the commentator sound bored out of his brains. This was the game I got with my launch GameCube, and it barely got any playtime.

Hayabusa83

Banned
Resistance 2. I don't know what Insomniac was smoking. The first game had an incredible selection of weapons and a long and action packed single player. Part 2 looked like it had worse visuals and basically all the charm of the original title was stripped away. Resistance 3 was okay, but I still prefer Fall of Man to this day.

bitbydeath

TLOU2 - don’t think I’ll be back for P3.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Big drop from Morrowind, Skyrim was a good step up from IV though.

GTAIV - Many have already said why, thankfully V fixed a lot of the jank.

MGSV - It doesn’t work in an open world setting.

last gen (& all from series that i previously loved/replayed):

uncharted 4
last of us 2
horizon forbidden west

& last, but not least: persona 5...

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Destiny 2

Still one of the worst games when it comes to lack of controller options. 22% deadzone is a statement that Bungie hasn't updated their controls for 20 years.

tvdaXD

Dying Light 2,

The setting, the gameplay, the lack of Be The Zombie PVP...
Only improvement was to animations and graphics.

mxbison

Street Fighter 5

- GaaS approach
- Dumbed down combo system with no room for options and creativity
- Bare bones release with broken online play
- Ugly unfinished looking menus and UI
- All rushdown with rock, paper, scissors meta game. No room for playstyles and strategies
- Lots of rounds end on trying to get rid of the last pixel health with a jab, since special move chip damage doesnt kill
- All these shitty ass gameplay mechanics/decisions also result in zero hype for tournaments

Just an all around shit game.

Banned
Bioshock Infinite

The first 2 had great story and gameplay while Infinite fell completely flat, for me. A bloated Ken Levine swan song.

the first 2 had great gameplay... but Infinite fell flat? now I truly I heard everything LMAO
Infinite is the only one in the series with decent FPS gameplay

nush

Gold Member
This piece of shit.

OIP-C._rKMT5JHaug7wuwHqDb8dQHaKT

Was the follow up to the amazing Castle of Illusion, what could go wrong? I learned a valuable lesson early on, there's a reason they didn't sent out review copies before launch.

Lasha

Crazy Taxi 2. The cities and new features failed to capture the tight gameplay of the original. Multiple destination passengers became land mines when running for high scores. Thankfully the series returned to form in Crazy Taxi 3.

Arachnid

Opposite.
Completely revitalized gameplay. The game is engaging and not a chore of slow hide and seek corridors dragging or 20 hours.
Removed tedious crap mikami though is cool.
Controls are refined like a normal modern game
artstyle is amazing

Evil Within 2 goes over the first 1, leaving it out in the trash bin.
I love that game, finished it like 3 times and I couldn't finish the first one myself. OK MAYBE I NEED TO GIVE IT ANOTHER CHANCE :p
Nah, he's spot on. I did like EW2 a ton, but it was the epitome of generic. The story was the second biggest affront. It wasn't an improvement. It was generic feel good trash (oh no, my daughter is in danger, gotta find her, I'm a depressed alcoholic) complete with a pathetic feel good happy ending with no kind of depth or twist. The story in the first was at least imaginative and the villain was leagues beyond the art idiot or typical cult leader. The ending was fantastic and ambugious to set up multiple plot threads and leave you unsure of how you felt. Seb himself was a shadow of the character he was. Legit boring with an ABYSMAL new voice actor. They also removed the matches mechanic which was unique to the series and added an element of tactics to dealing with the horde.

The first biggest affront was the severe downgrade in art style. We spent the whole game in a generic rural town only to be mixed up by the drab concrete tunnels of the marrow. Where was reality folding in on itself like EW1? Where was the eyeballs/gore and physics taking levels in ridiculous directions? The Japanese horror creativity was severely lacking. Even the bosses themselves didn't have the simple personality of Keeper or Laura (to the point where they had to reuse both). On top of that, this game had half the amount of bosses the first game did (and they still almost all sucked!).

Evil within 2 had better combat, stealth, and a better upgrade tree. IMO it actually had objectively better gameplay. Unfortunately, it lost the soul and personality of the series to become something generic. EW1 is superior.

kohl4Pw.jpg

E3_Morgue02.jpg

Last edited:
Prince of Persia Warrior Within: count yourselves lucky if you're too young to remember the 2000's battitude era of gaming.
Twisted Metal 3: Twisted Metal Black was the sequel everyone wanted, TM3 was a badly rushed cash-in.
Halo 4: I'll die on this hill. Everyone gave 343 a pass because it was their first Halo game. No one should have. Time proves me right.
Crackdown 2: they took everything that worked in the first game and ruined it by adding zombies. The franchise never recovered.

I bought a 360 just for Halo 4. It was so bad that it put me off gaming for years lol.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Warrior Within is the best Prince of Persia

Shut0wen

xTREy7h.png

2016 was borderline 'Eh' but it ended up being a hell of a lot more 'Doom like' and fun than this utter bullshit Mario clone..

Yay! A Doom platformer with utterly shit ADHD mechanics! Hooray! Just what Doom needed

Complete trash. Bring Doom back to what it was, please. Or dont bother.
How bad is eternal? Funny cause im currently going through doom 2016 as we speak, actually lovijg it so far but im only doing this to go through eternal

UnNamed

Banned
Fifa 95.
I adored Fifa International Soccer, so I thought it was an improved version.

It was terrible, so I returned it to the shop the same day.

samoilaaa

Lords of Shadow 2.

Stealth shit alone puts the game in shit tier category.
Uninspired enemy designs.
Weaker combat.
Weaker story.
Generally bad level design.
Inconsistent graphics (Lords of Shadow was a looker at release)

P.S I know people hate Lords of Shadow as a Castlevania game, but it was as an absolute epic.
omg yes , the sequel sucked big time
if they ever make another one i hope they make the level design more complex and leave the modern times out of it

niilokin

doom eternal for me as well, its an overly caffeinated super sweet candy flavor energy drink equivalent of a shooter game and the plot was laughably bad

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
How bad is eternal? Funny cause im currently going through doom 2016 as we speak, actually lovijg it so far but im only doing this to go through eternal
Well, you're playing the best one! Eternal is okay, I guess. If you like 2016 but felt it needed more platforming for god knows what reason, you'll love it. Oh and remember that classic Doom trope of punching and chainsawing enemies for ammo? Yeah, it's got that, and if you dont then no ammo for you!

It's so 'Doom' it hurts.

Utter pish.

Majukun

bayonetta 2.
it was the reason i bought a wii u despite knowing it was a failing console, and it's the reason why i didn't bother to buy a switch yet despite bayo 3 coming out this month

funny thing is that it took me a long time to understand why i was so disappointed...thought i was just burnout since I played the first bayo so much...then I stumbled upon this video years later, and it perfectly explained what's wrong with it.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
TLOU 2 - this is the king by far, the story was awfully bad, full of plot holes and conveninces hard to ignore outside of the fanboy closed mind , it divided the fanbase, if you didnt have woke elements plus sony marketing money to buy the good faith with the press it would have bombed even harder, it sold well but I bet sony was expecting more much more, it turned the great franchise in their hands into something less and the third game will show it.

Honorable mentions:
Mgs5 - kojima descend to madness, never finished
Re4 - it is not and never will be a resident evil game, if came out under other name NO ONE would have thought it was resident evil
Dark Souls 2 - I still enjoyed but it pales in comparison with the other games

anthony2690

Banned
Dino Crises 3 on the original Xbox, it was so bad my dad stopped gaming.

Well till I gave him my one X, he has since upgraded to a SX & has been playing Witcher 3 for the past 4 months, he only has a few ? Left in Skellige 🤣

supernova8

Banned
PS5 as a sequel to PS4 (hard to find and not that many next-gen exclusives anyway, not necessarily Sony's fault on the hardware supply side but still) and Xbox One as a sequel to Xbox 360 (360 had so many quirky but fun exclusives, Xbox One not so much, pretty much ended up as a Forza/Halo/Gears box).

Last edited:
Headhunter 2

The first was so cool to be able to drive freely around a city (one of the first console games to do so) and pick and choose your own missions. Headhunter 2 was like playing a different game. The story telling and narrative were so different that it was just shit.

I came here to post twisted metal 3 ...my God it SUCKED!

GTA 4 is still the biggest disappointment.

the second biggest disappointment however...

And with 5 years of updates its hard to remember, but Destiny 2 at launch really pissed me off. Instead of building off what they created with the original Destiny, it seemed like it was made by someone that hated Destiny and they fixed a million things that weren't broken. After D2's launch they spent the next 2 years just trying to make it acceptable and having to revert so many bad changes. (remember no special weapons? remember no 6v6? weapons no longer had random rolls, in a looter shooter.)
Destiny 2 ...oh man

Moses85

Spider-Man MM, I loved the first game but the second game just didn’t have the same feeling for me. I thought the first was perfect and Spider-Man MM just felt like some of that same magic wasn’t there for me
This game is no sequel its a techdemo 😂

Boring as fuck

Top Bottom