• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your most disliked Mario game?

Raptomex

When talking about the main games, SMB 2 (USA). Never felt like a Mario game to me. I'm in the minority who feels SMB 2 (JP) is the better game.

Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U. The fact that it still felt like you were moving through molasses with the run button was abysmal. Great levels and design but the controls/physics just killed my enjoyment.

Fbh

I hate the "new super Mario franchise".

People often complain about Nintendo using the same IP's over and over and over again and while that's true, I've remained a fan because the main entries in most of their franchise show more change, evolution and creativity than most of the industry.

Majoras Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Breath of The Wild. All of these games feel really different from each other. There is more difference between these entries in the same franchise than between 2 different franchises from some devs.

Same with Mario (sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World, Odyssey, etc).

But New Super Mario is just boring. The first game was Ok but every sequel feels like more of the same with A LOT of reused assets. Same worlds, same backgrounds, same music, same gameplay. I played New Super Mario on Wii and then on WiiU and aside from the Resolution and slight graphical upgrade they felt like the same game

It's not even an uninspired sequel of a cool and fresh take on Mario. It's basically just an HD version of the most bland version of the franchise

Tijmen

The New Super Mario Bros. series disappointed me the most by a long shot. Runner-ups are Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario 64 and the original Super Mario Bros.

NoKisum

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (or 2 JP)

I know this thought will make me into some kind of "fake gamer" or something, but I just can't stand games that are punishing for punishment's sake. Throwing constant middle fingers at the player for following rules that the game established moments ago is not fun.

Sakura

Of the ones I've played, Galaxy.
Not saying it's bad necessarily, just that I like the other ones more.

PaulBizkit

Mario's Time Machine. My first disappointing game, after being told to give Abraham Lincoln his hat, I checked the box and found that it wasn't made by nintendo.

Man, worst purchase ever.

zenspider

Mainline? Super Mario 64 and New Super Mario Bros Wii U are the only 2 I didn't enjoy. I could take or leave Super Mario Bros 2 USA as well.

As far as any game with Mario, does Wrecking Crew count?

EdgeXL

Hotel Mario.

Though if I had to pick a core platformer, Super Mario Land. It's ugly, the physics don't feel right and I truly have no idea why it was so popular.

Joei

Wow at the NSMB hate. I love the series and am looking forward to hopefully a Switch NSMB game. That said, NSMB2 is f'n awful lol. The other 3 are fantastic though.

I've never played one that I legit disliked but I'd rather play pretty much anything over Lost Levels or the original NES Mario Brothers. I think Mario 3 and Super Mario World are in the same vein but are just way better.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
3D world biggest piece of rehashed trash.
Shit worlds and shit camera pointless 4p mode
Boring gameplay.
Lazy copy of 3d land
Stupid camera position ruins platforming.

Just trash

Wiped89

Super Mario Sunshine. Yuck.

I wasn't in love with 3D World. It was all right. A lot more fun to play it with someone, but it's nowhere the creativity of Super Mario Galaxy the GOAT

They're all really good... Super Mario Run or Yoshis Island DS I guess? (Do those count?)

Very relieved to see nobody mentioning Superstar Saga or Odyssey. But I will never understand the amount of Sunshine hate...

JimboJones

I don't really like 64 to be honest, I wasn't around for it when it first came out so I don't have much nostalgia for it and the camera is just annoying in that game.

It's not awful by any means, just the N64 hardware holds it back for me.

Dunki

I know I am probably alone here but for me its Mario 64 because it changed drastically the design and the transition from 2D to3D was very bad IMO. Same with OOT.

First of all I hated the game pad I had to play with. Camera was also terrible. But the thing that annoyed me the most was the constant getting in and out of the game. Everytime you found a star it throws you out of the level and you have to re-enter again. Sometimes you were not even 20 seconds in found a star and you were out again....

Sadly they kept this scheme for a long time but I heard Odyssey finally fixed this.

Yeah I hated Nintendos transition from 2D to 3D.

RVIDXR

Unpopular opinion here but Galaxy 2. Galaxy 1 felt very close to a SM64 2 (Hub world, Choosing stars in course selection, etc) and growing up with that game, it felt more familiar. Galaxy 2 went the more traditional Mario trend.

Top Bottom