• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your official PS5 and Xbox Series X prediction, on the record......

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
I never owned those systems but I remember when there were a ton of random consoles on the market in 1994 for a range of insane prices.

None of them were successful, leading to today where they would be crazy to even consider a system at 699.

PS3 at 599 was too much.

Edit: To be clear, I personally really don't care what it's priced and have no interest in an Xbox anyway. I'm just saying I think this prediction is impossible.

No interest in Xbox? I see how it is. I understand now.

Don’t worry, Sony surely be delivering the cheaper hardware. 🧏

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
PS5:
$449
9.2 TF (36 CU @ 2.0 GHz)
500 GB SSD (with DRAM, 4 GB/s)
16 GB GDDR6
UHD BD drive
+ software based raytracing from LocalRay

XSX:
$499
12.9 TF (56 CU @ 1.8 GHz)
500 GB SSD (DRAM-less, 2 GB/s)
16 GB GDDR6
UHD BD drive
+ exclusive dedicated raytracing cores built with AMD (equivalent of 16 Gigarays)

(and an additional $599 SKU with 1 TB SSD)

XSS:
$299
4.6 TF (20 CU @ 1.8 GHz)
500 GB SSD (DRAM-less, 2 GB/s)
12 GB GDDR6
discless
+ exclusive dedicated raytracing cores built with AMD (equivalent of 6 Gigarays)

Last edited:
No interest in Xbox? I see how it is. I understand now.

Don’t worry, Sony surely be delivering the cheaper hardware. 🧏
lol love the fact that you pretend to be neutral and you get offended when you hear people have no interest in xbox or might think PS5 can edge out xsx. why is that? be neutral , who cares which one comes on top if they are that close anyways

I’d believe it, if you were talking about the boosted PSVR devkit vs XSX...
there is no such a thing as boosted PSVR devkit. Dev kit 2 just came out to third parties and first parties received Devkit 3 for PS5 this month. for XSX, devs received devkit 3 in the last month.

"boosted PSVR dev kit" doesn't exist.sorry

JAMMA

lol love the fact that you pretend to be neutral and you get offended when you hear people have no interest in xbox or might think PS5 can edge out xsx. why is that? be neutral , who cares which one comes on top if they are that close anyways

What does neutrality have to do with reality? Sony is going to make cheaper hardware, and we’ve supposedly seen the BOM.

I still prefer my Xbox One X and the Xbox controller, but that aside we all know that Microsoft needs the more powerful hardware or they’re going to lose people like me that expect the best hardware as their primary platform.

I’m sure you’ll agree:

Microsoft has an uphill battle already, If Sony has the most powerful console AT LAUNCH it’s lights out for Xbox.
They can’t fail this launch and hope for another successful refresh.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

there is no such a thing as boosted PSVR devkit. Dev kit 2 just came out to third parties and first parties received Devkit 3 for PS5 this month. for XSX, devs received devkit 3 in the last month.

"boosted PSVR dev kit" doesn't exist.sorry
What is devkit 3 for XSX? They have only had one devkit so far, the one they shipped starting in November. Before that was target specs.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Actually, the PS5 dev kits are currently still a bit ahead in terms of final, depending on team. SX kits are older but currently a bit quicker, again depending on team. (In plain English PS5 have more final dev kit than Xbox, but are behind in speed. SX still not even final dev kit, so make of that what you will).

So the current line is the SX is faster, by a smidge, that won’t matter in the scheme of things.

You can see that in all the current sources, as well as my own that I know of.

But the important thing is they are so close it won’t matter.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
Quoting myself from the next gen speculation thread. Nothing has changed regarding this prediction.

My prediction for final Specs: (It will be fun to get back and see how wrong I am)

Anaconda:
CPU: 8c/16t Zen 2 @ 3.4 8MB L3
GPU: Custom RDNA 56 (active) CU @1.7Ghz , 12.1 TF
RT: Hardware accelerated
Memory (total): 24GB @ 560 GB/s GDDR6
SSD: PCIe 4.0
Price: $499

PS5
CPU: 8c/16t Zen 2 @ 3.2 GHz, 8 MB L3
GPU: Custom RDNA 52 (active) CU @1.9Ghz , 12.6 TF
Memory (total): 24GB @ 576 GB/s GDDR6

Lockhart:
(I DONT GIVE A ****) about Lockhart

My dream (PS5)
CPU: 8c/16t Zen 2 @ 3.2 GHz, 8 MB L3
GPU: Custom RDNA 56 (active) CU@2.0Ghz, 14.3 TF
Memory (total): 20GB HBM2 @ +1 TB/s 4GB(DDR3 for OS)

Edit: Updated Dec 16th, added clocks to my prediction.

Actually, the PS5 dev kits are currently still a bit ahead in terms of final, depending on team. SX kits are older but currently a bit quicker, again depending on team.

So the current line is the SX is faster, by a smidge, that won’t matter in the scheme of things.

this is true but this is for the current dev kit received recently for XSX . not the old one. current one is 12.4 TF vs 12.3 TF of dev kit 2 for PS5. keep in mind this is what i heard so it might be completely bs ;)

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
34mv9a.png
This is what I expect from both consoles to be honest, and that's according to many inside information and what has been pointing towards, but this is just a prediction after all.

What does neutrality have to do with reality? Sony is going to make cheaper hardware, and we’ve supposedly seen the BOM.

I still prefer my Xbox One X and the Xbox controller, but that aside we all know that Microsoft needs the more powerful hardware or they’re going to lose people like me that expect the best hardware as their primary platform.

I’m sure you’ll agree:

Microsoft has an uphill battle already, If Sony has the most powerful console AT LAUNCH it’s lights out for Xbox.
They can’t fail this launch and hope for another successful refresh.
same article about BOM where it mentioned that investors want sony to take loss to match the price of XSX? you are comparing BloomB with zhuge tweet which doesnt make sense as 2 different source will have two different estimate on BOM. same BB source mentions sony has to take loss to price match XSX.
from bloomberg:
"Some Sony staff think it should sell the new console at a loss if necessary to match Microsoft’s price,"

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
PS5 CPU 3.2GHz, GPU 12TF 500$
XSS CPU 3.5GHz, GPU 6TF 350$
XSX CPU 3.5GHz, GPU 12TF 500$

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
this is true but this is for the current dev kit received recently for XSX . not the old one. current one is 12.4 TF vs 12.3 TF of dev kit 2 for PS5. keep in mind this is what i heard so it might be completely bs ;)

Playstation are currently on the later revision, and talk of the town is that it’s near final and won’t be getting any major changes, if at all. It’s behind spec wise compared to the SX, who are way behind in terms of getting updated units out, but the new units coming or in limited hands are ahead in spec, and may even be clocked higher going forward.

Source: people with these things on their desk, a few weeks ago. Plus this is no different to what all the current insiders are saying either.

So relax. Yes, I would put money on the SX being ahead, by a small margin that won’t matter to anything or anybody. But it won’t matter anyway.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

no 3rd one just went out few weeks back and it has apparently boosted clocks to bring GPU power to 12.4 TF
Then you were played, because that's simply not the case.

So back in early December barely anybody has devkit v1, yet in early February third parties have access to devkit v3? That's not even possible with shipping times, let alone the required hardware changes.

JAMMA

What is devkit 3 for XSX? They have only had one devkit so far, the one they shipped starting in November. Before that was target specs.
Actually, the PS5 dev kits are currently still a bit ahead in terms of final, depending on team. SX kits are older but currently a bit quicker, again depending on team. (In plain English PS5 have more final dev kit than Xbox, but are behind in speed. SX still not even final dev kit, so make of that what you will).

no 3rd one just went out few weeks back and it has apparently boosted clocks to bring GPU power to 12.4 TF
What is happening? 👁👁

O’dium, what’s a smidge? Lol

I’m riding the XSX is more powerful train, I think a bit more significant than a “smidge”. Probably 15%+

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

I expect both consoles to be damn near identical but a few will see small tiny differences and make them out to be HUGE so they can add that and lists of shitty exclusives to wage wars throughout the underworld of forums.

reality: whoever prices the machine the lowest wins. little Timmy's mom doesn't care about 14 sec faster load times, 200 more pixels, some obscure Japanese game 12 people love, chapter 3 dips 2 frames for 3.2 seconds etc.... she just cares that Timmy's gets the fuck out of her face and is content playing fortnite.

woot woot can't wait

Last edited:
I'm guessing both will have 8c16t ryzen in them clocked similarly.
Around 3,5 ghz on all cores.
Around 12 tflops for both consoles.

Then you were played, because that's simply not the case.

So back in early December barely anybody has devkit v1, yet in early February third parties have access to devkit v3? That's not even possible with shipping times, let alone the required hardware changes.

versions keep changing by time regardless how many get them. version 1 could have been only first parties.version 2 could have been first and few third parties. version 3 everyone and this month

Fenris Wolf

• PS5 : 12TF, 16gb GDDR6 ram, 8 Core CPU equivalent of 3700x, 1tB NVME SSD - $499
  • Xbox series x : 12.9TF, 24gb GDDR6 ram, 8 Core CPU equivalent of 3700x, 2TB NVME SSD - $599

I don't care about either of them being more powerful anymore btw. All i care about is games and i personally find PlayStation games more interesting and more in line with my taste.

Last edited:

JAMMA

reality: whoever prices the machine the lowest wins. little Timmy's mom doesn't care about 14 sec faster load times, 200 more pixels, some obscure Japanese game 12 people love, chapter 3 dips 2 frames for 3.2 seconds etc.... she just cares that Timmy's gets the fuck out of her face and is content playing fortnite.

woot woot can't wait
So Timmy’s mom is buying a Nintendo Switch. Nothing new.

Last edited:
What is happening? 👁👁

I’m riding the XSX is more powerful train, I think a bit more significant than a “smidge”. Probably 15%+
once its said done less than 8% imo but thats not set in stone as there are some room for clock changes

Playstation are currently on the later revision, and talk of the town is that it’s near final and won’t be getting any major changes, if at all. It’s behind spec wise compared to the SX, who are way behind in terms of getting updated units out, but the new units coming or in limited hands are ahead in spec, and may even be clocked higher going forward.

Source: people with these things on their desk, a few weeks ago. Plus this is no different to what all the current insiders are saying either.

So relax. Yes, I would put money on the SX being ahead, by a small margin that won’t matter to anything or anybody. But it won’t matter anyway.
i heard that PS5 dev kit for 3rd party is recently on dev kit 2 and they expect to receive dev kit 3 mid june(granted none of them know anything about devkit3 ). as for other things yea its all possible

Last edited:

darkinstinct

versions keep changing by time regardless how many get them. version 1 could have been only first parties.version 2 could have been first and few third parties. version 3 everyone and this month
Dude, you can't just change devkits on a monthly basis. To replace a devkit takes a chip redesign. It happens after four to five months at best (can only talk about original Xbox devkits back in the day, because that's the only thing I have worked on regarding consoles). The SDKs update more frequently, about once a month, but they don't change the available hardware power. Devkits include mass produced chips and take at least four weeks from production to delivery. Whoever told you that Xbox Series X is on devkit 3 is wrong, plain and simple, it's physically impossible. And prohibitively expensive if one were to do such a thing.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
What is happening? 👁👁

A smidge is a uk term, means a small amount, barely anything. I’m talking expect less than 15% even, we are talking 10% I would imagine.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
D darkinstinct i have to be careful with wording here because I don’t want to appear to know more than I do. It’s no secret my circles overlap with a few friends who are in certain situations. Some of them may work for McDonald’s. Some of them may work for Burger King. Some of them may work for both. You know, burgers and stuff. But let’s just say that one persons green burger? It’s not cooked yet. It’s not even close to cooked. And his team are a bit, well, behind, in terms of cooking utensils. Because this person? He’s actually very close to the people at green Burger King, you know? You would expect him to have the best burger, but even he has old ones.

So it’s really funny when I see people say MS are only ahead in dev kit speed because their dev kits are more mature. Sadly... no. That’s not the case. Even for some of the big boys, even STILL. But the couple of lads that have access to both burgers? They still say one is way further along in cooking, but still a smidge behind in speed.

But this is all shit that comes up in chatting anyway, and as i said, it even matches current insider rumbling. So it’s not exactly new info, lol.

But hey things change, you don’t know what’s around the corner...

Last edited:

JAMMA

A smidge is a uk term, means a small amount, barely anything. I’m talking expect less than 15% even, we are talking 10% I would imagine.
My apologies, was joking. I meant clarification on the smidge.

Maybe you’re right. I’m ducking out of threads tonight as I’m sure I’m upsetting everyone by being too chatty today.

My thoughts: I’d prefer a console (PS5 or XSX) noticeably Better than the other as I’d prefer to buy one console. I’m always strapped for cash during the holiday season.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
My apologies, was joking. I meant clarification on the smidge.

Maybe you’re right. I’m ducking out of threads tonight as I’m sure I’m upsetting everyone by being too chatty today.

My thoughts: I’d prefer a console (PS5 or XSX) noticeably Better than the other as I’d prefer to buy one console. I’m always strapped for cash during the holiday season.

ahh I see 🤣

no a lot of people do want one to be better than the other by a wide margin, but man, I can’t stress it enough... you don’t want that. You just don’t. Yeah you may see a few first party games take advantage of the grunt, but consoles are 99% third party games, and they will almost always usually cater to the lowest denominator, as that makes the most sense from a development stand point.

(note this is nothing like if Lockhart exists. That’s a different beast of a discussion)

Last edited:

CAB_Life

PS5 11 TF, $450
XboxX 12 TF, $500

My reasoning: I don’t think Sony wants to be ahead in price, and, conversely, I think MS wants to continue flexing “the most powerful console” tag.

McHuj

PS5
GPU: 10.1 TF - 44 CU@1.8
CPU: 3.2 GHz 8/16
RAM: 16 GB @ 512 GB/sec (256-bit bus 16 Gbps chips)
SSD: 1TB @ 5 GB/sec

XSX
GPU: 11.3 TF - 52 CU@1.7Ghz
CPU: 3.4 GHz 8/16
RAM: 20 GB @ 560 GB/sec (320-bit bus, 14 Gbps chips)
SSD: 1TB @ 2 GB/sec

Same RT and VRS tech in both, really the only difference being a wider bus on XSX, slightly different CU counts, clocks, and SSD speeds for PS5.

Both $499 and in limited supply due to the virus (it won't delay them, just reduce inventory)

Last edited:

CAB_Life

Xbox Series X - 20TF (probably way more), 64gb ram, 2TB ssd, all at a price of 199 buckeroonies. Calling it now.

I hear they’re gonna eat the trillions of dollars in losses and bundle it with a McDonald’s happy meal to emphatically win the next console war.

My source is my ass, which is pretty reliable when it comes to insider-rumblings.

darkinstinct

D darkinstinct i have to be careful with wording here because I don’t want to appear to know more than I do. It’s no secret my circles overlap with a few friends who are in certain situations. Some of them may work for McDonald’s. Some of them may work for Burger King. Some of them may work for both. You know, burgers and stuff. But let’s just say that one persons green burger? It’s not cooked yet. It’s not even close to cooked. And his team are a bit, well, behind, in terms of cooking utensils. Because this person? He’s actually very close to the people at green Burger King, you know? You would expect him to have the best burger, but even he has old ones.

So it’s really funny when I see people say MS are only ahead in dev kit speed because their dev kits are more mature. Sadly... no. That’s not the case. Even for some of the big boys, even STILL. But the couple of lads that have access to both burgers? They still say one is way further along in cooking, but still a smidge behind in speed.

But this is all shit that comes up in chatting anyway, and as i said, it even matches current insider rumbling. So it’s not exactly new info, lol.

But hey things change, you don’t know what’s around the corner...
Great, you made me hungry. :D

Most people don't even factor in that devkits are more powerful than the consoles they represent. They have more storage, they have more RAM and they have more powerful APUs inside. If somebody tells you that a devkit is at 12 TF, you can be certain that it is around 1 TF faster than the final console. Simply because devkit chips don't have certain CUs disabled for yields, so they can use the full chip. The SDKs and their performance analysis tools can be quite expensive. IIRC the Xbox One X devkit sits at 6.6 TF with 24 GB of RAM and includes an SSD. For a console running at 6 TF with 12 GB of RAM and an HDD. Similarly, if somebody makes snarky comments about the ultrafast SSD in a devkit, that might be just to make deployment of builds and their analysis much more comfortable, while the games themselves run at much more reasonable speeds. That's why any devkit leak that claims to know retail differences has to be taken with a grain of salt. Devkit specs are never retail specs. They are always faster and more powerful.

And a final word regarding devkit versions: It happens when there are substantial improvements. Not because you get another 0.4 TF out of it. A game developed for 12 TF is exactly the same game as one developed for 12.4 TF, just hits the target frame rate slightly more consistent. If somebody tells you that a devkit went from 11.6 to 12 to 12.4 - they are lying, plain and simple. Those kind of minor clock speed adjustments a) don't require a new devkit and b) happen very late in development. PS5 looks to be on its third or fourth iteration right now (devkits became available early 2019, were then replaced with the Oberon V-shape devices around May, have since gotten several new chip revisions but not necessarily new devkit versions per se, have now gotten better more silent cooling). XSX is on its first devkit version and will probably get a final version once retail specs are locked.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
D darkinstinct thats not *always* true. Sometimes you get a little bit more memory, maybe a little overhead, for obvious reasons. But spec sheet wise, targets etc, the above I posted seems to follow final goals.

The one thing I have noticed in this thread is the complete random guessing nature of SSD spec. Like some of you really are low balling the speed for one side... odd that... 🤣

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5 can be the best console in the world in part because Microsoft will shoot themselves in the foot, UI so bad etc. you can automatically right them off. I still believe in PS5 but all they're giving us is backwards compatibility, I don't like the mindset so far with the console, they, haven't managed to show anything it may be because they're trying to figure out how to end the PS4 but it's impossible to feel hyped for the console when their's virtually nothing known about it months before release.

darkinstinct

D darkinstinct thats not *always* true. Sometimes you get a little bit more memory, maybe a little overhead, for obvious reasons. But spec sheet wise, targets etc, the above I posted seems to follow final goals.

The one thing I have noticed in this thread is the complete random guessing nature of SSD spec. Like some of you really are low balling the speed for one side... odd that... 🤣
Can only speak for myself, I took what Jez Corden heard regarding the SSD as fact (he said he doesn't believe the recent 4Chan leak of 3.8 GB/s because what he has been told is much slower than that and comes from trustworthy sources, 2 GB/s is what he was told) and gave PS5 specs that are beating the fastest PCIe 3 SSD on PC back in April 2019 (based on Cerny "faster than anything available on PC today").

JAMMA

At least concerning Microsoft, devkits have been identical aside from just 2x the memory more than once.

Vawn

Banned
$700? No way

I want both (X not S), but Xbox has to prove themselves with games first this time.

PS5 is a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
They can’t fail this launch

The most powerful console very rarely wins a console generation. When it does, that most likely is not the biggest reason.

Xbox One did not lose to PS4 because the PS4 was more powerful. It lost for the same reasons as always - Price and Games. Yes, there wasn't many big exclusives at launch, but PS has built the reputation to have better exclusives in general, something that proved to be correct again.

TLDR - Games and Price > all other factors combined.

hemo memo

Gold Member
PS5 can be the best console in the world in part because Microsoft will shoot themselves in the foot, UI so bad etc. you can automatically right them off. I still believe in PS5 but all they're giving us is backwards compatibility, I don't like the mindset so far with the console, they, haven't managed to show anything it may be because they're trying to figure out how to end the PS4 but it's impossible to feel hyped for the console when their's virtually nothing known about it months before release.

I thought you were going for the “expert” meme.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
My predictions -

PlayStation 5 - 10.5 TF, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 30 Day PS+ & PSNow trials, November 20th, $500
Xbox Series X - 12TF, 24GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 30 Day Game Pass Ultimate trial, November 6th, $500
Xbox Series S - 4TF, Zen CPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Discless, 30 Day Game Pass Ultimate trial, November 6th, $300

Top Bottom