• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your opinion on the Devil May Cry series?

IKSTUGA

It has its ups and downs. 3 and 5 are super amazing, 2 is legit bad. Others are somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I've just got to he Underworld. Previously I'd got killed a few times by Nightmare (the sludge monster), came back to it fresh and beat him without him getting a single hit in. Felt good!

My sword has changed I've lost my devil triggers though. Is this part of the story or am I been stupid on how to bring up the electric sword again!?

Still loving it. Had I played it when it first came out I would be inclined to do the next difficulty but with so many more games to play I'll move on to the dreaded number 2! 😂

DonF

if you playing them all back to back is such a weird series.

1 is clearly a resident evil spin off (its know) the fixed camera angles, somewhat tanky controls, the combat.
2 is shit.
3 is an awesome action game, perfection.
4 is wtf. Its action and puzzle game ( some enemies and bosses have to be beat a certain way)
DmC is good, fresh but not the best.
5 is good, but lacks the x factor that made the others great.

3 is genre defining. The best, and the only games that can be compared it are The bayoneta series and other platinum games (you can tell the talent from 3 flee there)

Hostile_18

Banned
if you playing them all back to back is such a weird series.

1 is clearly a resident evil spin off (its know) the fixed camera angles, somewhat tanky controls, the combat.
2 is shit.
3 is an awesome action game, perfection.
4 is wtf. Its action and puzzle game ( some enemies and bosses have to be beat a certain way)
DmC is good, fresh but not the best.
5 is good, but lacks the x factor that made the others great.

3 is genre defining. The best, and the only games that can be compared it are The bayoneta series and other platinum games (you can tell the talent from 3 flee there)

Are the Ninja Gaiden games on the PS4? I know Bayonetta is but it puts me off the sequel is Switch exclusive (plus I've played it when it first came out).

Hostile_18

Banned
So many people love 3 as much as they hate 2.

I can't wait to see everything with fresh 2020 eyes, no nostalgia 😁

Even Devil May Cry 1 has some negatives such as rough start, under water levels and they reused alot of levels in the painting worlds.

That been said tons of good as well. I think the Normal difficulty is pretty spot on apart from those annoying black Panthers but I'm probably using the wrong strategy for them.

The grenade launcher is miles better than the pistols!

So many people love 3 as much as they hate 2.

I can't wait to see everything with fresh 2020 eyes, no nostalgia 😁

Even Devil May Cry 1 has some negatives such as rough start, under water levels and they reused alot of levels in the painting worlds.

That been said tons of good as well. I think the Normal difficulty is pretty spot on apart from those annoying black Panthers but I'm probably using the wrong strategy for them.

The grenade launcher is miles better than the pistols!
I wish you got to experience it on the PS2 because the HD port doesn't do the first game justice from an aesthetic point of view.

DMC1 has a lot of Kamiya's touches, like how he makes you encounter the bosses thrice and each time it's always a fresh challenge culminating in a climactic finish (you'll notice it in Bayonetta as well) and how the items you buy get progressively more expensive; it's a throwback to Fantasy Zone's shop.

Then there's that Space Harrier-esque final sequence, which he also had in Bayonetta, alongside what I assume is a Super Hang-On tribute. Dude loves his retro games and putting minigame versions of them into his own games.

Itsuno took the series down a different path though he's kept some traditions like having 20 missions per game.

I think a cool thing about DMC is how it's essentially the action game equivalent of COD: you have some super stylish action game coming out and need a reference point? You can probably get away by saying "It's kinda like DMC".

The letters "DMC" are easy to say, easy to type and easy to remember, even if it's not always the best comparison.

NahaNago

I really always wanted them to further explore the connections between demons and humans in the world. I always expected that their would always be more demons or half demon creatures in the human world.

lachesis

I mildly enjoyed the 1st one and moved onto 2nd one... but somehow lost interest in the 2 in mid game for some reason.
I know 3 is supposed to be the best regarded by most - but unfortunately I ended up not playing.. :( It's one of my "will play when I get a chance"...

4EZCOOLDART

The first was pretty iconic. The scene where you get a sword and it stabs through you blew me away at the time.

Definitely peaked at 3. Dark Souls level difficulty was not the norm at the time but I digged it.

I thought 5 was incredibly overrated. I haven't been able to finish it. I get that the "difficulty" is trying to get more stylish ratings but I would rather the difficulty be winning. The way they feed you a million revive orbs totally takes that away. The levels are really boring and everything looks the same. They force goofy "puzzles" at you that are basically just collecting keycards ala original DOOM. The story is somehow more nonsensical than previous games thanks to an unnecessary narrative told out of order. Basically I didn't like this game at all.-

LordKasual

Banned
The first was pretty iconic. The scene where you get a sword and it stabs through you blew me away at the time.

Definitely peaked at 3. Dark Souls level difficulty was not the norm at the time but I digged it.

I thought 5 was incredibly overrated. I haven't been able to finish it. I get that the "difficulty" is trying to get more stylish ratings but I would rather the difficulty be winning. The way they feed you a million revive orbs totally takes that away. The levels are really boring and everything looks the same. They force goofy "puzzles" at you that are basically just collecting keycards ala original DOOM. The story is somehow more nonsensical than previous games thanks to an unnecessary narrative told out of order. Basically I didn't like this game at all.-

The difficulty is about standard in DMC5.

The only reason DMC3 feels like such an outlier in difficulty is because while it's the basis of polishing of the modern DMC (4,5) formula, it's also the most restrictive, while the western release completely trolled players by forcing them to start the game on Hard.

Comparing 3 to 4....Dante has full and instant access to all of his styles and weapons. There's no situation in DMC3 that wouldn't immediately be made easier by the style switching system.

5 on the other hand is definitely the peak of the series to me. The new camera system is amazing, new physics engine allows for great playable setpieces, the combat is as polished as ever.

This is the first DMC game to actually feature decent level design and environmental music as well.

Nero feels completely fleshed out now thanks to an entire new weapon system AND new Devil Trigger, the game basically lets you play Nero 1.5 from mission 1-19 and then on Mission 20 you're rewarded with TRUE Nero 2.0 for the remaining difficulty modes and it just feels fucking amazing.

I wasn't expecting much change to Dante from DMC4 but LOL @ that shit, his final sword upgrade basically further enhances his entire existing moveset and Sin Devil Trigger just feels amazing to use.

Last edited:
I've only played 1, 2 & 3, but 1 & 3 are great character actions games. They're not top of genre for me though. God Hand and Bayonetta are the genre royalty for me.

Edit: Oh I also played the Ninja Theory DmC, and it was decent, but not on par with 1 & 3 for me.

Last edited:

nordique

I love it but it’s hard for me to play any game in the series now other than DMC 5 and 3 (haven’t picked up switch version yet but I plan to once a sale happens)

Barakov

Gold Member
I really loved 1,3,4(despite its' problems) and 5. 2 was awful though. I think overall though, The series has had more hits than misses.

GametimeUK

I loved Devil May Cry 1.

I somewhat enjoyed Devil May Cry 2, but it was a 6.5 experience for me when I was younger. Very disappointing compared to the first game.

Never played Devil May Cry 3 since I was disappointed with 2.

I enjoyed Devil May Cry 4, but it felt a bit lazy in terms of the levels. You'll see when you play it. I didn't finish this game.

I fucking loved Devil May Cry 5 so much. It absolutely had me hooked. I was near the end of the game, lost my save and still replayed it to beat it. This is not like me at all.

Devil May Cry Reboot... I loved it. Only Devilay Cry 5 is better in my opinion. (Keep in mind I haven't played 3).

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm determined to beat 1 today and give it a rating out of 10, though a modern lense with no nostalgia 😁

Will I get my devil triggers back or are they gone forever now I have this new sword? (Sword of Sparda I think its called).

Hostile_18

Banned
I've finished 1. Loads of effort was put in the end game. I can't believe they did all that work on the plane for about 30 seconds of gameplay 😂

Best acted scene in a game ever;

So in summary it has a really rough start, but once you've in the gameplay loop it's very addictive. If I had to give it a score I'd say a 6/10. Had I played it back on the day where jank was more common I could easily of seen it been a 8.

Now onto the dreaded.. Devil May Cry 2.

Send me your prayers ❤

TNT Sheep

I've finished 1. Loads of effort was put in the end game. I can't believe they did all that work on the plane for about 30 seconds of gameplay 😂

Best acted scene in a game ever;

So in summary it has a really rough start, but once you've in the gameplay loop it's very addictive. If I had to give it a score I'd say a 6/10. Had I played it back on the day where jank was more common I could easily of seen it been a 8.

Now onto the dreaded.. Devil May Cry 2.

Send me your prayers ❤

Oof, I wish you good fortune! On its own I think Devil May Cry 2 can be an enjoyable game, though it is pretty void of difficulty. Compared to the other titles it is a pretty significant downgrade. At least the music and Dante's design were good...

Hostile_18

Banned
Oof, I wish you good fortune! On its own I think Devil May Cry 2 can be an enjoyable game, though it is pretty void of difficulty. Compared to the other titles it is a pretty significant downgrade. At least the music and Dante's design were good...

Well if its not too difficult a quick play through can't hurt... (hopefully lol).

I think my first run through on Devil May Cry 1 was 9 hours and change.

Silvawuff

I'm in the camp where I played the first and loved it, then never bothered with the sequels. I think they hit around a time where every game series had heavy sequelitis with middling quality and investing in a game back then was like playing Russian roulette. It's something I know I'd probably enjoy if I got into it again, kinda like Darksiders maybe.

Oh and, Dante is hot AF. The original one.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm on the second level of Devil May Cry 2 playing as Dante and I like it. I was expecting the biggest piece of shit ever haha 😂. Is there much difference between the different characters level/story wise?

Last edited:

TNT Sheep

I'm on the second level of Devil May Cry 2 playing as Dante and I like it. I was expecting the biggest piece of shit ever haha 😂. Is there much difference between the different characters level/story wise?

It has been a while since I have last played DMC 2. I believe the first couple of missions are similar, but afterwards the two characters diverge a bit. Most of the exclusive Lucia stuff is kind of forgetable and you often traverse the same areas, though sometimes with a twist. The story is pretty much non-existent in this game, so you don't miss much if you skip Lucia's missions.

Hostile_18

Banned
It has been a while since I have last played DMC 2. I believe the first couple of missions are similar, but afterwards the two characters diverge a bit. Most of the exclusive Lucia stuff is kind of forgetable and you often traverse the same areas, though sometimes with a twist. The story is pretty much non-existent in this game, so you don't miss much if you skip Lucia's missions.

Thank you for the reply. It was a bit of strange opening story wise.

I do like the wall run, having a dedicated dodge button and been able to fire my guns with just one button press. The levels are a downgrade detail wise but not terrible so. I think it would of been a misstep to just try and replicate a spooky castle, I'm definitely up for something different variety wise.

TNT Sheep

Thank you for the reply. It was a bit of strange opening story wise.

I do like the wall run, having a dedicated dodge button and been able to fire my guns with just one button press. The levels are a downgrade detail wise but not terrible so. I think it would of been a misstep to just try and replicate a spooky castle, I'm definitely up for something different variety wise.

Dante's increased agility and use of guns is something that is further expanded upon in DMC3. So, yeah not every idea from DMC2 was bad, but they definitely learned from their mistakes and arguably perfected the DMC formula in DMC3. I also quite like the devil trigger mechanics in this game. While I do appreciate the variety in level design, I think the areas were a bit too big. A lot of running around with not much happening. That and I just preferred the atmosphere and more contained setting of the first one.

Hostile_18

Banned
Dante's increased agility and use of guns is something that is further expanded upon in DMC3. So, yeah not every idea from DMC2 was bad, but they definitely learned from their mistakes and arguably perfected the DMC formula in DMC3. I also quite like the devil trigger mechanics in this game. While I do appreciate the variety in level design, I think the areas were a bit too big. A lot of running around with not much happening. That and I just preferred the atmosphere and more contained setting of the first one.

Oh yeah dont get me wrong the first ones location is better just as you say up for a bit of variety. I don't know if the series will go in this direction but something alone the like of Uncharted set pieces with Devil May Crys combat would be amazing. A bit like the final fight with Mr Smith in Matrix Revolutions. Or some of the more crazy fights in God of War. I might be dreaming a bit big there though... we shall see 😂.

TNT Sheep

Oh yeah dont get me wrong the first ones location is better just as you say up for a bit of variety. I don't know if the series will go in this direction but something alone the like of Uncharted set pieces with Devil May Crys combat would be amazing. A bit like the final fight with Mr Smith in Matrix Revolutions. Or some of the more crazy fights in God of War. I might be dreaming a bit big there though... we shall see 😂.

Well, one thing is for certain after DMC2 it can only get better :messenger_winking:

DMC4 is my favorite. 3 is the most popular but I never beat it or any of the other games in the series. I own all but DMC2 which is considered the worst by far so fuck it.

quickwhips

Devil May Cry 2 and 3 are special to me as my wife and I would spend many date nights playing theses trading turns when we died. Great series but it peaked with 3 for me.

Griffon

DMC is a fundational game for 3d hack'n'slash (basically every console sword action games is derived either from DMC or OOT, and often bits of both).

With that said, the DMC game that aged the least poorly is, oddly enough, DMC1.
Later entries became less and less about good exploration and more mindless gauntlets of battles, and it gets repetitive and boring after so much time.

Playing DMC3-4-5 in a row is gonna quickly feel mind-numbingly samey and boring.

Last edited:
DMC, Always thought they were the type of game played by that type of teen that looks like the guy you play as in DMC.

And Mall Ninjas.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
3 and 5 are some of the best games in its genre. 1 is still a fantastic adventure, even despite its age. 4 has an amazing combat system that was let down by weak level design and repetitive mission structure. 2 was just terrible.

3 still has one of the best boss fights in any game for me. The final fight against Vergil on Dante Must Die is a blast. While I enjoyed the final fight in DMC5, it just lacked something that 3 had.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm definitely noticing some flaws in the second game. What were they even thinking with those Infected Tanks!? Some levels are too big and empty as well.

Still not enough to stop me playing... yet.

TNT Sheep

I'm definitely noticing some flaws in the second game. What were they even thinking with those Infected Tanks!? Some levels are too big and empty as well.

Still not enough to stop me playing... yet.

I think that area in the game has both the least and most interesting boss design in the game. But, yeah the enemy and boss quality is all over the place in this game.

Really love the series. Played every game except for 2, heard it was godawful so I just didn't bother. DMC Reboot was definitely the worst I played, Dante in that game was the most insufferable main character I think I have ever experienced in a game. Soundtrack was great though.

Hostile_18

Banned
Ok so Devil May Cry 2 is over, with Dante.

First impressions went down hill fast. The level design is shit and I've got no idea what the story was really about (neither did the CGI team). I gave Devil May Cry 1 a 6/10 so this one gets a 3/10. I don't think I'll play it all again with the other character...

Anyways on a more positive note onto nearly everyones favourite Devil May Cry 3!

TNT Sheep

Ok so Devil May Cry 2 is over, with Dante.

First impressions went down hill fast. The level design is shit and I've got no idea what the story was really about (neither did the CGI team). I gave Devil May Cry 1 a 6/10 so this one gets a 3/10. I don't think I'll play it all again with the other character...

Anyways on a more positive note onto nearly everyones favourite Devil May Cry 3!

At least now you know :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Orta

Banned
Thought the original was great. Bought it with my PS2. A big giant bowl of FUCK OFF is how I'd put it. Swords, bullets, explosions and bodies all over the shop. Great soundtrack too, as Ozzy put it, the kind of music to get your head kicked in to. Perfectly suited DMC.

2 was wank, 3 was too fucking hard to be any fun imo, 4 was nice, great combat, looks lovely too. A slightly more relaxed DMC1 if you will.

The remaining two are on my backlog.

Top Bottom