• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Your Pick for the Most Iconic Power Armor in All Ass Kicking SF Fiction?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
What is the most bad ass, ability enhancing, damage taking, impression making armored exoskeleton in all the SciFi worlds and universes? They're suits of knights armor taking to ludicrous extremes that enhance every action and reaction of the wearer while being able to absorb insane amounts of punishment and often deal it back in full and then some. Often created to fight future wars against others walking tanks or sometimes even worse things be it mutant monsters, machines run amok, aliens from another world or whatever scifi monster needs super human killing machines to stop.

starship-troopers-e1290464999503.jpg

The original and forefather to all Power Armor was from the SciFi classic Starship Troopers by the legendary author Robert Heinlein. Powered Armor, sometimes Powered Suit or just "Suit", was used exclusively by the interstellar shock troops of the Terran Federation, the Mobile Infantry. Described as a giant metal hypocephalic gorllias where the interior was lined with thousands of incredibly sensitive pressure sensitive plates that responded to the users smallest reaction in an instant letting them use the armor without any hindrance or resistance like a natural extension of their bodies while amplifyiny everything they do many times over.

2m4EFh.jpg

The Mobile Infantry live up to their as well as the Powered Armor as they are inserted from orbit, fired like bullets from spaceships that are described in comparison to giant guns. Of course the armor is essential as normal troops would be liquefied during the trip. Upon landing they are equipped with all manner of normal weapons from flay throwers to rocket launchers but the tour de force is the "T" shaped mini nuke launchers strapped to their backs that launch death to either side before their jet packs allow them to launch themselves miles away leaving death and destruction in their wake.

latest

Heinlein really set the mold with his novel but many different works of fiction from books to comics to movies to games have all given us their interpretation of Power Armor. One of the most well known are of course the Adeptus Astartes or Space Marines from Warhammer 40K. There Power Armor is a combination of ancient tech reacquired by the God Emperor of Mankind from the Dark Age of Technology and his own incredible genius and made specifically for his Super Human shock troops to create the greatest fighting force in the Galaxy, the best of the best of the best.

latest

Their armor is highly variable but the basic idea is a hyper exaggerated knights armor. Huge interconnecting plates of super tough ceramic filled with artificial muscles and jacked right into the Space Marines nervous system reacting like a second skin. Its sealed so they can fight in the vacuum of space, equipped the best sensor equipment the tech priests of Mars can provide and allows them to use weapons that would shatter the bones of a normal man while taking all manner of punishment from Xenos, Mutants, Demons and Traitors.

4238214-8658000351-latest

However what I want to high light for my starting post is that normal power armor isn't always enough in the universe of Warhammer 40K. Sometimes you need to clear a space hulk or perhaps there is a 6 story tall demon that needs its ass kicked back to the Warp. That's when the Space Marines break out the elite of the elite and equip them with something even tougher, stronger, bigger and meaner than even normal Power Armor. That would be Terminator Armor and it was often saved for only the longest lived and most battle hardened of Space Marines or even their demi God originators the Primarchs and the very God Emperor himself.

space_hulk-artwork.jpg

This armor is actually based on incredibly rare suits that were used to explore and work in the most hostile and extreme conditions the galaxy had to offer and modified and upgraded to be a towering reminder of humanity's wrath and the God Emperor's power on the battlefield. Not nearly as agile or quick as their smaller counterparts but they have no need to be as they can absorb mind boggling amounts of damage before finally succumbing. They are able to wield weapons that even normal Space Marines would have trouble lifting sometimes several at a time from miniguns to rocket launcher or even double wielding power fists, gigantic armored fist swathed in power fields that vaporize anything their brute strength doesn't pulverize. Each individual piece of Terminator Armor is a relic unto itself and entire sets are absolutely priceless. As rare as they are powerful.

zpmJ0dE.jpg

So that's my starter choice but so many different pieces of scifi fiction from games to comics to books to movies and so on have covered Power Armor. From the MJOLNIR Armor worn by the Master Chief in the Halo games to the more exoskelton design Tom Cruise used in The Edge of Tomorrow. Lets here them with pictures and other details on why you love that design and what makes it special amongst all the others.

The armor itself is nothing compared to the ones you posted, but my favorite use of an exosuit in fiction is by far this one:

edge_of_tomorrow___rita_vrataski_by_phelandavion-d76vfat.jpg

More in line with what you're talking about, I'd mention Doomguy from the last Doom:

5039316-7926781518-art-l.jpg

btw, is there a way to make pictures smaller?

Elandyll

Banned
Beside the iconic WH40k Marines armor, as well as Iron Man, anime is also chock full of it.

My favs

Zentraedi Qeadluun-Rau
zentraedifemalepoweramor.jpeg

Bio Booster Guyver
Guyver1.jpg

Snaku

Banned
Nothing tops the bioboosted armor from the Guyver. Alien, beautiful, and powerful. Wasn't even intended to be power armor. The Creators wore them as one would wear a hazmat suit, or a space suit. It was only when one decided to see what would happen when they equipped the armor to their ultimate bioweapon, a human, that they realized their error.

img_6327nixbl.jpg

img_6328tikcw.jpg

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I'd pick the original gorilla suits from Starship Troopers as my personal favorite. Loved the anime version:

ovapowersuit.jpg

Honourable mention to the power armour from the Fallout series of games. Star of course being the original and best T51b.

latest

Most iconic though? Probably Iron Man, or the Spartan armour as people have said.

BigDes

OP I gotta nerd you out a bit here

Your first pic of Astartes Terminator armor is actually of their Centurion armor

Which is actually another suit of power armor worn over their normal power armor and lets them have access to Terminator fire power without having to potentially risk a valuable and rare Terminator suit

Disadvantages is that they can't teleport like Terminator suits can and they are hella slow.

HStallion

OP I gotta nerd you out a bit here

Your first pic of Astartes Terminator armor is actually of their Centurion armor

Which is actually another suit of power armor worn over their normal power armor and lets them have access to Terminator fire power without having to potentially risk a valuable and rare Terminator suit

Disadvantages is that they can't teleport like Terminator suits can and they are hella slow.

I actually had a different picture of actual Terminator Armor but it wasn't looking too good. I've actually been swapping pictures in and out. I'm trying to find something better.

WaterAstro

ROFL no.
40K is where the power armor is at.
Tau armor would make Iron Man cry.
Space Marine armor is so iconic that it is "homaged" everywhere.

wut

Only a niche knows that much about Warhammer 40k.

Everyone in the world knows Iron Man, and has known him since the 60's.

HStallion

wut

Only a niche knows that much about Warhammer 40k.

Everyone in the world knows Iron Man, and has known him since the 60's.

Iconic might not have been the best choice of words for the thread title. I didn't want to say "Best Power Armor" or something similar. Then again WH40K is iconic enough, its been around for over 4 decades at this point. Not as well known outside of nerd circles but still incredibly influential.

nitewulf

One of the more interesting take was on Richard K Morgan's cyberpunk novels (Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Furies) featuring Takeshi Kovacs. In Woken Furies, he wears an exo-suit called the Eishundo Gecko. That suit was pretty badass. Too bad Morgan's writing fell off the planet after these three novels.

HStallion

Just so we're clear- We are talking only Power suits and not Mechs right?

I didn't want to include mechs because it stretches the idea too thin and becomes kind of its own thing at that point. Gundams aren't suits someone wears in many cases but a giant robot they climb into that often dwarfs them by huge amounts. Power armor while often huge is still relatively close to the wearers general size. Space Marines are like 7 to 8 feet tall and Power Armor only bumps that up to like 8 to 9 feet, even Terminator Armor isn't making them 3 stories tall.

Salamando

I don't know about the *Most* iconic, but its what popped into my head:

WUWE3gF.jpg

The Power Loader from Aliens.
Where does Power Armor end and Mech begin?

HStallion

4HsXsoN.png

Only problem is it's permanent :p

I'd say, like Darth Vadar, he's more of a straight cyborg as its not a suit but just his body at that point. Generally the idea of power armor is an extension of the wearer's body and enhances their abilities and isn't a permanent part of their body.

Most iconic would have to be this though

6c6e2e28a0aa670d66498d71c5aaf3ad.jpg

How do people say this kind of thing with a straight face. Do you actually think Samus Aran has the same level of recognition with the general public as any of the relevant characters to this discussion from Star Wars, Halo, or the MCU?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

While I've always loved samus, the above is the correct answer. Gaudy, outrageous, absurd, and completely badass in context of the insane world of 40k.

Also 40k itself might not be widely known, but it's influences in other sci-fi is pretty significant.

Top Bottom