• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats Your Worst Controller Ever?

Alphagear

What do you guys consider the worst controller ever?

Personally, I have never been fussy when it comes to controllers. All were good enough except one.

Sega Dreamcast Controller.
572px-Sega-Dreamcast-Controller-FL.jpg

Simply bad in every way.

Analogue stick which was too loose and there was only one.

Really awkward to grip.

Cord too short and at the bottom of the controller.

Heck even the D-PAD was a disgrace after what we got on the Sega Saturn.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
No question, the DS4

Cheap low-quality build, stupid battery draining lightbar, ridiculous non-swappable 4 hour battery with an equally ridiculous 3ft charger cable and I hated the symmetrical sticks.

I never had a Dreamcast, but I have to admit, that looks even worse. How do you even hold that thing?

kunonabi

Mad catz six button for the dreamcast since it fried the controller ports.

Original xbox and all the Sony dual analog controllers are pretty rubbish too.

The switch pro controller is probably the worst as far as Nintendo controllers go

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Dualshock 3, not even rumble and it is just shit anyway. Panasonic 3DO blisters and hard skin off that d pad were possible.

Last edited:

GymWolf

fucking joy con on switch.

or gamecube pad, never liked that one.

the only N pad i enjoyed was the snes one.

The Snake

What do you guys consider the worst controller ever?

Personally, I have never been fussy when it comes to controllers. All were good enough except one.

Sega Dreamcast Controller.
572px-Sega-Dreamcast-Controller-FL.jpg

Simply bad in every way.

Analogue stick which was too loose and there was only one.

Really awkward to grip.

Cord too short and at the bottom of the controller.

Heck even the D-PAD was a disgrace after what we got on the Sega Saturn.

Just curious and I don't wanna incite an argument here: what are your thoughts on the N64 controller? Personally, it baffles me that you'd pick this over that, especially given your complaints.

Worst for me, outside obvious shit like the Virtual Boy controller has always been the PlayStation controllers, up until the DS3.

They're way too small. For me PS controllers have always been too small. I felt like I'm playing claw to hit the bumpers on a Dual Shock, almost like the bumpers on a GameBoy Advance SP. I didn't like the stick placement because my thumbs touch when moving both the sticks to center and hitting start or select was a weird reach because of their proximity to the sticks. The face buttons felt mushy. I dislike the segmented D-pad as I rock d-pads from the center. The triggers were shaped poorly and the tension was weak. The controller just felt cheap and hollow. When I bought my PS3, I replaced the DS3 the first day with a bigger aftermarket pad. The DS4 is a massive improvement ergonomically though I haven't used it much with my PS3.

No question, the DS4

Cheap low-quality build, stupid battery draining lightbar, ridiculous non-swappable 4 hour battery with an equally ridiculous 3ft charger cable and I hated the symmetrical sticks.

I never had a Dreamcast, but I have to admit, that looks even worse. How do you even hold that thing?

The Dreamcast controller is actually really comfy to hold and bigger than it looks in pictures. I have enormous hands and just can't do smaller controllers. The problem is the D-pad is shit, the stick is imprecise, the face buttons are too low on the controller and poorly spaced which means you can't grip the controller as designed. The controller is pretty fragile, pressing the start button hard will crack the board inside because there is no bracing underneath. The cord comes out the bottom which is retarded, so retarded in fact they made a notch so you can make the cord exit the top like it should be. It's pretty bad overall.

The other major issue is that the VMUs die even when you aren't using them.

The triggers are great though and like I said it's a comfortable controller.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Just curious and I don't wanna incite an argument here: what are your thoughts on the N64 controller? Personally, it baffles me that you'd pick this over that, especially given your complaints.

Well it is up there too though I felt it was comfortable to hold.

The analogue stick on it is worse though.

What makes me hate the Dreamcast controller is that it was released by Sega after the Sega Saturn controller with a superior D-PAD and the Sega Saturn 3D controller which it was based off yet inferior. What were they thinking.

McCheese

Nintendo Switch because it's cost me £120 over the 3 years it's been out in repairs and replacements.

For comparison, I have a shitty Atari Jaguar prototype analogue controller with bodge-wires that is still working without any drifting.

Codes 208

GHBc6Os.jpg

yeah in a generation where shooters are most prominent, lets make the sticks concave and have them placed together for frequent thumb collision along with awkwardly curved l2/r2 with the overall shape designed for the littlest of hands.

GENIUS

(battery life aside, the ds4 is a much, much, much better design)

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

N64

Could not stand it. It seems Nintendo built it solely for Super Mario 64 and then the rest of the games and genres suffered.

Dualshock 4

Comfortable, like all Dualshocks before it, but fucking useless to the point I wanna throw it in the wall. Pointless lightbar, touchscreen no one uses, worthless battery time, short cord. The list goes on. Dual sense better fucking be an upgrade of epic proportions.

NES 8-bit

Small and uncomfortable. Never liked it. Not even as a child when there was no other options and my hands were small. Luckily things have evolved.

Codes 208

Pretty sure most of the 'aim / fire' commands in PS3 games were mapped to R1 / L1.
Thumb/index finger placement made this pretty difficult in long sessions without cramping, especially for shooters. I always had to remap to the triggers. (Though i eventually said fuck it and swapped over to playing most of my games exclusively on xbox due partly to this.)
Would you believe this was Sonys first controller with analogue sticks.

PS1_Dual_Analog_with_Box.jpg
Convex > concave and its not even close

Last edited:

Mokus

zV1889x.jpg

Terrible. I was lucky enough and someone bought it from me shortly after my disappointing experience.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
1: N64

41LOtUcyJeL.jpg

2: X360

41omcEMGLIL._SX466_.jpg

Never played Xbox OG, nor Xbox One (we have at home though, but never played on it or even started it). Tried N64 for a while, finished Assassin's Creed 1 on Xbox 360 on my cousin apartment and the controller was painful to deal with, not as bad as N64. The rest I could cope with (Atari, Family Game "NES", Sega MegaDrive, Sega Game Gear, Sega Saturn). PS1, PS2, PS3 were good as long as I don't sweat my hands, with DS4 on PS4 being the best so far.

My brain needs too much time to cope with asymmetrical layout of the Nintendo, or xbox if I consider it.

11396097-7804615740625038.jpg

Last edited:

The Snake

To be fair to Dreamcast, dual thumbsticks wasn’t standard until the OG Xbox was it?

Answer to the question, any controller with dualshock in the name. I find the thumbstickplacement uncomfortable.

That's right. Very few PSX games even take advantage of the right stick.

Interestingly enough, the Dreamcast is capable of a second stick, and there were plans to release a controller featuring one apparently.

Flintty

I might be in the minority who actually liked this controller. Felt great playing Halo for the first time.

D-PAD was shite though.

I’m with you there. The Duke will always be special for me. I have big hands so it always felt right. Fond Halo memories too ❤

Interestingly enough, the Dreamcast is capable of a second stick, and there were plans to release a controller featuring one apparently.

I never knew that. I remember playing Quake 3 online and getting destroyed by KB/M players. The button setup kind of worked but it was naff. The leap from that to OG Xbox was mind blowing.

Last edited:

Aion002

Wii Remote is garbage.

I love the Wii, but that thing for normal games is atrocious, Nintendo should have included a normal controller with the console... Not make everybody spend more on it.... It was a greedy move...

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Dualshock 3 or 4.

I have 6 non broken OG snes gamepads.

4 broken dualshock 4's out of 5
And 3 broke ds3 out of 4

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The Dual Shock controllers, simply because the left analog stick is a terrible position for 3D games. Wii Classic controller s of course the same, but mainly meant for 2D games, so it is fine for that purpose (terrible for 3d games though, obviously).

Top Bottom