• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats Your Worst Controller Ever?

FZW

Nintendo 64 controller for sure, Gamecube is second and the Joycons are 3rd.

Nintendo has made quite a few stinkers

Orta

Banned
ZdSz0gc.jpg

5bad6dc93c000032000b30a2.jpeg

sainraja

Oh believe me, I played the shit out of my brothers PS1. We are talking over twenty years ago though!

Then I can't understand how you would not have known the purpose of the thumb sticks! I mean, I am the guy who at the time actually preferred the D-PAD for moving characters over using the thumbstick and games that forced you to only use the thumbsticks I would avoid if I could help it. Most games at that time worked with sticks or d-pad so it's hard for me to understand.

GenericUser

This POS right here:

51A2TNR6KDL._SX342_.jpg

- Aweful right analogue stick
-shoulder buttons were too hard to press.
- wtf are these face buttons, just make some symetrical, equally sized buttons ffs
- digipad? you call this shit a digipad?

Worst controller ever, even worse then the dreamcast controller.

Orta said:

dude, I'm sitting here slurping on my morning coffee. Have some mery.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I used to have a free gamestop ps3 controller i got with the points. this was the worst controller i've ever used, every button was mushy, the d-pad was worse than the og 360 d-pad. the rubber on the analogs was straight outta china, and would begin to tear with barely any use.

4cIi9Qt.png
You must've been pretty desperate to waste your points on a Lamestop controller. Do you remember how much this garbage cost?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
For consoles I really didn't like the duke, but my love for Halo overshadowed it.

But anybody remember this beauty? Obviously restored to make it more modern but the Defender controls at the arcade were seizure-inducing to me as a kid.

cache_11793169.jpg

Rodolink

DS2 by miles. those sticky L2, R2 butons were bullshit, they suddenly got stuck after some playtime and had to open the controllers to unstuck, really awful design.

lachesis

As much as I love Dreamcast - quite possibly my most invested console back in the day, but the controller was pretty bad. Only 1 analog stick, and also the biggest issue was the triggers. I had OG Japanese Yukawa version, and with gentle use, it was broken.

Also not much fan of the original Playstation controller either. At that time, it just felt so weird. Since I had Saturn and was quite into 2D fighting games - Playstation pad was quite a pain to play 2D games comapred to Saturn pad.... although I did get used to Dual Shock series and appreciate double analog stick.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I bought this as my Atari 2600's second controller. When I got a Megadrive a few years later I still had it and used it as its second controller until we could afford a proper one (was only about 12 at the time).

Don't exactly have fond memories of it of playing games that required three buttons as standard. My brother always used to hog the MD controller when we played EA Hockey and I was stuck with the 'zipstick'. If I recall correctly I lost the speed burst function. Games regularly ended up about 15-2 to him :messenger_pouting:

zipstik.jpg

In fairness it was built like a tank. Because I used to throw it at the floor, wall, etc mid way through my regular hidings.

That was my preferred controller on the Atari ST (where 1 button was standard). It took a lot of abuse and kept on going and it was super-responsive and comfy.

Flintty

Then I can't understand how you would not have known the purpose of the thumb sticks! I mean, I am the guy who at the time actually preferred the D-PAD for moving characters over using the thumbstick and games that forced you to only use the thumbsticks I would avoid if I could help it. Most games at that time worked with sticks or d-pad so it's hard for me to understand.
Lol I don’t know what more you want from me here.

My brother had a PS1 controller that had two knobs where you’d expect there to be the thumbsticks. These knobs did not act as thumbsticks. They did not move at all. Maybe it was 3rd party or a cheap knock off but he had it. At the time I thought they would be used for movement but surprised they didn’t move at all. I never got to play one with actual thumbsticks.

sainraja

My brother had a PS1 controller that had two knobs where you’d expect there to be the thumbsticks. These knobs did not act as thumbsticks. They did not move at all. Maybe it was 3rd party or a cheap knock off but he had it. At the time I thought they would be used for movement but surprised they didn’t move at all. I never got to play one with actual thumbsticks.

It must have been a knock off then.....no other explanation makes sense.

My theory is that your brother's Dual Analog or Dual Shock controller was so caked with dried semen the sticks became locked in place. Did the controller have a musky scent?

Flintty

It must have been a knock off then.....no other explanation makes sense.

Yeah it’s really weird. It definitely had two lumps where you’d expect thumbsticks to be but that’s all they were, lumps. Co concave tops or anything. They just sat there doing fuck all. I’ve tried to find pictures online but no luck. It’s driving me nuts!

Tripolygon

Banned
This is the worst controller I have ever used. The stickiest controller ever. I remember trying to do a fatality in Mortal Kombat and the buttons just sticks and is mushy. Many replacements because the pins in the plugs lose contact or the wires break. We have it pretty good now. Modern controllers are far superior in build quality, reliability and just general ergonomics than older controllers. Xbox One and DualShock 4 controllers are the best controllers we have ever had as standard controllers. Each new generation brings with it improvements.
61Zsws2cF6L._AC_UL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Xbox One. They ruined a perfectly good design. Xbox 360 controller is still the best ever.
How did they ruined it exactly they literally made it better in every way better d pad no sticking out battery compartment on the back and feels more comfortable in the hands and better triggers and i used both 360 and xbox one controller on my PC so i should know.

Riven326

Banned
How did they ruined it exactly they literally made it better in every way better d pad no sticking out battery compartment on the back and feels more comfortable in the hands and better triggers and i used both 360 and xbox one controller on my PC so i should know.
The A button doesn't register every time. The thumbsticks don't have enough resistance. The Xbox Home button is flat and therefore harder to push than the 360 home button. It often doesn't register either.

The only flaw the 360 controller had was it's dpad. Otherwise it was perfect.

The A button doesn't register every time. The thumbsticks don't have enough resistance. The Xbox Home button is flat and therefore harder to push than the 360 home button. It often doesn't register either.

OK fine for you but this is for the worst controller and there is no way the Xbox One controller should be name in this lol

As far as official controllers go, the Xbox one controller. Uncomfortable shoulder buttons and terrible build quality. Working in retail, I have yet to see one that didn’t eventually get sticky buttons. Tons do out of the box!

Microsoft needs to fix this shit with series x.

As far as official controllers go, the Xbox one controller. Uncomfortable shoulder buttons and terrible build quality. Working in retail, I have yet to see one that didn’t eventually get sticky buttons. Tons do out of the box!

Microsoft needs to fix this shit with series x.
LOL Tons he saids lol

Davey Cakes

Surprised people are saying XB1. That controller is bliss. Even better than the 360.

The DS4 is the only Sony controller that isn't an abomination. It's comfortable. For me, nothing matches the awfulness of the controllers on PS1-PS3.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
Surprised people are saying XB1. That controller is bliss. Even better than the 360.

The DS4 is the only Sony controller that isn't an abomination. It's comfortable. For me, nothing matches the awfulness of the controllers on PS1-PS3.
I don't bend my thumb when I push the A button. It always rests over it and my thumb is actually on the X button when not on the thumbstick. XB1 controller is the first to give me trouble. The other stuff I can forgive, but a button not registering? No way.

sainraja

D-PAD and the battery compartment on the back of the controller. They did release a transformer type of controller that let you switch between the default D-PAd and the one that matched what the Xbox One has now.

Last edited:

sainraja

Xbox One's controller is the best Xbox controller. I wouldn't say it is the best overall. I can personally adjust easily between all controller types so I am not that fussy but preference is towards Sony's due to how the button press feels compared to Xbox's. Switch Pro controllers button press also is slightly better I feel.

Last edited:

Genx3

Did you not see i said Atari Jaguar and not Atari 2600

Sorry but the Atari Jaguar controller was OK for the time it released. I'm not sure why you think its so bad.
I had a Jaguar and the controller worked fine all of the time.

Now the Atari 2600 controller was an abomination. Worst controller of all time.

.Pennywise

Banned
No question, the DS4

Cheap low-quality build, stupid battery draining lightbar, ridiculous non-swappable 4 hour battery with an equally ridiculous 3ft charger cable and I hated the symmetrical sticks.
Nothing more to add. Maybe that trackpad that's just a gimmick really few games make good use of it.

The worst.

Top Bottom