• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wheelchair user forced to board plane via airstairs only using arms

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
No, this is not another United Airlines incident.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/06/28/national/vanilla-air-makes-wheelchair-user-pull-stairs-airplane/#.WVRwulGQyUk

A subsidiary of All Nippon Airways Co. has apologized to a man paralyzed below the waist after it forced him to climb stairs on his own using only his arms to board a plane at Amami Airport in Kagoshima Prefecture.

The flight’s operator, Vanilla Air Inc., a low-cost carrier wholly owned by ANA Holdings Inc., issued the apology to Hideto Kijima, 44, and have since installed equipment to help disabled passengers board its aircraft, according to the airline and Kijima.

On arrival at Amami, Vanilla Air allowed three companions to carry Kijima in his wheelchair down to the tarmac.

However, on his way back to Osaka on June 5, the airline told Kijima he could not ask for similar help when boarding the plane, saying it was against the company’s rules for people to carry passengers in wheelchairs up the boarding ramp.

The decision left Kijima with no other choice than to pull himself up the steps using his arms.

A Vanilla Air spokesman told The Japan Times that the company could not have passengers use the staircase while in a wheelchair due to “safety concerns” unless it was notified five days in advance. The airline installed a stretcher at the airport on June 14 to help disabled passengers.

Kijima said he was surprised to be prohibited from boarding a flight using his wheelchair, and that he hoped his case would become “an example of a solution to be taken when similar forms of discrimination take place.”

“In Japan, the Law on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Persons with Disabilities finally took effect in April last year,” Kijima said. “The law has encouraged authorities and airlines to address similar problems without incident.”

Accessibility is an issue that often goes unnoticed. Obviously, most international airports use jet bridges, but there are a lot of smaller airports that use air stairs for boarding.

Sunster

love when companies have these unbendable rules that they enforce in all circumstances. convenient way to avoid having to use common sense.

Kurdel

Banned
Robbing a man if his dignity to avoid heavy lifting is revolting to even me, the worlds laziest person.

Alucrid

Banned
Kijima heads the Japan Accessible Tourism Center, a nonprofit in the city of Toyonaka, Osaka Prefecture. The center provides foreign tourists with disabilities who need assistance with information about travel in Japan.

ain't that fucked. the guy who helps disabled tourists get around japan is made to do this

Uhyve

ain't that fucked. the guy who helps disabled tourists get around japan is made to do this
Worst thing is that alot of disabled people probably just put up with it, either that or it's just a huge coincidence that first person to suffer this indignity happens to be a person campaigning for disabled people.

OmegaFax

I know in the US for domestic flights, my grandmother has a harder time walking at her age and terminals are very far to walk. I'm very vocal and adamant she is comfortable from the time she enters the airport to the time she leaves it. People ought to be able to maintain their dignity and right to travel like anyone else. I'd be incredibly upset if she was mistreated in such a way.

Edit: It's worth mentioning I know this isn't directly related to how Japan handles flights for people in wheelchairs. People are employed by airlines to take her to where she needs to go at airports she's been to.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Not surprised it ended up being Japan. They don't have the best track record with disabilities.

1upsuper

That's awful. Flights as a disabled person are harrowing. Something always seems to go wrong. Last time they lost my chair for a while.

the airline told Kijima he could not ask for similar help when boarding the plane, saying it was against the company’s rules for people to carry passengers in wheelchairs up the boarding ramp.

I would be interested to see those "rules."

Top Bottom