• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When did nerds become really shitty people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

I've never seen anyone care about nerdiness outside of high school.
Silly to say that on NeoGAF. Lot of nerdy things here to find. I like my anime, my games, my whimsical superheroes, my progressive cartoons, my Doctor and you can find other people like that in here. And other type of nerds; wrestling, sports, technic, Star Wars, certain kinds of music, etc.

Being a nerd does not mean to sit unwashed in a mancave made from stolen underwear from Will Wheaton and Alan Moore, it means to get very invested in a certain area that is not important to life and thus deemed waste for some people.

Nobody will read this because it's long and reading is for nerds. You are not a nerd, OP, you never was one. You are mistaken being a nerd with being a consumer junkie. But you are not alone on this one. Just a quick look on the posts here reveals that being a nerd is essentially watching as many anime and playing as many video games as possible. And since this is what most people here are doing in their free time, they assume that they are in fact nerds and getting a total culture shock when they really meet one.

But if you DO read the article, you shouldn't have problems to realize why so many of them grow up to be the persons they are.

Nerds have always been shitty people. Most people are shitty people.

As always first post nails it!

I think the issue now is the internet and anonymity of it have given people a voice and confidence to complain about everything, that and the collective ridiculing/stigma that used to occur/be attached to nerds in the 80s/90s has gone and been replaced with an (right) attitude that theres nothing wrong with being a nerd, in fact it can be cool - unfortunately, that pent up victimisation that older nerds, like myself felt through highschool can be vented on the internet, and theres an element of having an raw nerve of being victims, so any percieved slight against being a nerd is met with a nerd rage now

I suspect it will balance out to normal levels of ass hole human populace

BigDes

Silly to say that on NeoGAF. Lot of nerdy things here to find. I like my anime, my games, my whimsical superheroes, my progressive cartoons, my Doctor and you can find other people like that in here. And other type of nerds; wrestling, sports, technic, Star Wars, certain kinds of music, etc.

Being a nerd does not mean to sit unwashed in a mancave made from stolen underwear from Will Wheaton and Alan Moore, it means to get very invested in a certain area that is not important to life and thus deemed waste for some people.

I think that Freshmaker was saying that no one cares if you are a nerd or not once you leave highschool rather than no one cares about nerdy stuff.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

So? I talk to a lot of people about such subjects. I only know one guy out of all of them who self identifies as a nerd.

I doubt even that guy who smugly brags about understanding the humor in Big Bang Theory because he is a nerd would bristle at a random mass nerd comment.

I think that Freshmaker was saying that no one cares if you are a nerd or not once you leave highschool rather than no one cares about nerdy stuff.
Yes. This. In my experience, that tends to recede into the background and adults just react to other people as other people. They may be socially awkward or whatever, but most folks are mainly just interested in getting along rather than employing a worthless social grouping like that.

I'd also add that I don't think the internet really needs yet another social outrage movement especially not one centered around not stereotyping nerds.

potam

Banned
Am I supposed to excuae myself for being upset about being broadly generalized?

Yeah, because it's not as if someone insulted your race/gender/sexuality/creed. They generalized based on a label which people give themselves. If you like nerdy things, and want to call yourself a nerd, go for it. If you like nerdy things, but don't want to call yourself a nerd, go for it.

It's not that anyone is acting differently, more that the behavior is framed differently now. Back then for instance, it was "They don't know how to talk to girls!", whereas now that lack of awareness of social norms takes on a new context. In reality, "Getting the girl" was always sexist, and there was always a strain of resentment from regular rejection from guys online. It just gets more exposure now.

Chuckie

I doubt even that guy who smugly brags about understanding the humor in Big Bang Theory because he is a nerd would bristle at a random mass nerd comment.

But someone who likes BBT is not a real nerd... at least that is what GAF has taught me :p

spekkeh

Banned
Nobody will read this because it's long and reading is for nerds. You are not a nerd, OP, you never was one. You are mistaken being a nerd with being a consumer junkie. But you are not alone on this one. Just a quick look on the posts here reveals that being a nerd is essentially watching as many anime and playing as many video games as possible. And since this is what most people here are doing in their free time, they assume that they are in fact nerds and getting a total culture shock when they really meet one.

But if you DO read the article, you shouldn't have problems to realize why so many of them grow up to be the persons they are.
Good article thanks. Although generally level headed he does sometimes fall into the 'we're really superior trap', but the part about high school being useless does hit home as an educator.

Partition

Banned
i agree.... OP... i can't play one game of DOTA anymore without this happening!

UqVgLtR.png

g3GN9u6.png

lYYn9RV.png

Pau

I never really saw a strong correlation between nerds and intelligence. A good number of the top students were fairly or very popular. I think the whole nerd = smart thing is something nerds tell ourselves to make us feel better, honestly. "Well, I'm not popular, but at least I'm smarter than those idiot jocks and shallow girls." And at 12 I can't say I didn't fall into that kind of thinking. And I certainly heard it from other nerds who never really showed any evidence of being smart.

I do think what the author is looking for is ultimately about certain things (whether it be over consumption of particular media, focus on hobbies, etc) being a distraction/barrier for socialization with others beyond a small group. Some people have the social skills and self awareness to get over that, others don't. Maybe he correlates high social aptitude with low academic/logical/etc intelligences and vice versa. Not sure how accurate that is and it certainly doesn't explain my school experience.

Well, I did read this because I am a nerd... and yeah, this article seemed to pretty much hit the nail on the head. For middle school at least, "boring and cruel" seems pretty perfect as world descriptions go. Maybe it was just the high school I went to, but by the time I got there, being at the top of the class and also not an asshole was generally enough to get invited to parties. The kids who were primarily concerned with how they looked, talked, and spent their free time ended up on the bottom rung of the social ladder.

Lime

Revenge of the Nerds actually provides a good springboard for analyzing how the Nerd identity has been constructed and contributed to how its logic rationalizes and excuses shitty behavior. Here's an interesting article on it (which is why I'm repeating myself from an earlier post).

S: The thing is, this is supposed to be a teen sex comedy, but there is only one scene in the film of consensual sex. Ironically, that’s a one-night stand between Gilbert and a nerd girl who he immediately discards in his pursuit of the ideal of Betty. All of the scenes of nudity are non-consensual, in fact.

W: These nerds are spying on the women in the movie, committing sex crimes and passing around nude photos that they’ve obtained through illegal surveillance. This is glossed over so much in the film. I read the Wikipedia description of the non-consensual sex scene in the movie, and it says “Lewis tricks Betty into having sex with him” — which I think is how we’re supposed to see it in the movie. It’s this benign act that we can forgive because it’s done in pursuit of a romantic goal. But that’s not the reality of it: the reality is that a nerd has sex with Betty while he’s dressed in the mask and clothes her boyfriend wore, so she thought it was her boyfriend.

S: And if that’s not terrible enough, there’s zero romantic tension between them. This is not a case in which she needs to “get past” the fact that he’s a nerd. These are two people who are enemies in a way that has no chemistry or playful sexual tension at all, unless you wanna count sexual predation as chemistry. But let’s go back a bit to the panty raid/surveillance. The nerds pass around nude photos. They break into the sorority house and catch the girls naked. They steal their underwear, and install cameras which they use to watch the girls all night. Then they distribute stills from the videos to the public. All these actions are presented as valid retaliation for the girls essentially “being teases.”

W: There’s a cluster of nice-guy stereotypes around the nerd. The idea is that nerds are people who are nice to women, who treat them with respect, in contrast to the stark misogyny of the jock crew. But these actions, which are justified in the movie, are misogynistic and abusive through and through.

W: Yeah, the nerd women don’t get a happy ending unless they’re hot, which is why all the movies featuring a girl nerd have some sort of makeover montage. I could easily see a remake of this movie having, say, one girl nerd from the Mus who “got hot” and thus had her unrequited love…requited.

S: Easily. There’s nothing desirable about a female nerd in that universe. Except perhaps her sexual availability.

W: What’s really changed? It’s still not enough for a woman to be smart in the way the male nerds are.

S: They have to conform to male desires.

W: Whereas the male has to realize his own inherent worth.

S: The problem with that is that out in the real world, not being a jock is not enough to get you the girl. Being a nice guy isn’t enough to get you the girl.

W: What we’re seeing is this clash of expectations and reality, and it gets very ugly when a “nice guy” realizes that the formula isn’t that simple.

patapuf

I think the premise is wierd. Sexism / Racism / other shitty attitude are rampant in all of society.

Sports? Media like film/music? The business world? academia?

How social/well adjusted you are has little impact on whether said person are assholes or not in my experience. They just express it differently.

Lime

I think the premise is wierd anyway. Sexism / Racism / other shitty attitude are rampant in all of society.

How social/well adjusted you are has little impact on whether said person are assholes or not in my experience. They just express it differently.

But it's also about how nerd culture as a cultural construct has a certain logic to it that rationalizes/excuses sexist / racist behavior. This is especially prevalent with the topic of women where nerd culture become entirely irrational in its exclusion and discrimination of women. You see how unrealistic some people are, even so-called "liberal" / "left-leaning" young (white) men, when they resort to incredibly conservative and extremistic reactions to matters of equality between the various genders, despite being having more progressive-leaning approaches to e.g. economics and class inequality.

Of course, sexism and racism and bigotry exist across society in all its different subcultures, but there is a specific way that nerd culture employs its view on women.

Pau

I think the premise is wierd anyway. Sexism / Racism / other shitty attitude are rampant in all of society.

Well, yeah, that's the thing. Nerd culture (however nebulous that is) is part of a larger culture so there you go. I don't think that means we can't look at how sexism and racism are reproduced in these different places - separately and collectively.

Maybe in addition to (or instead of) social skill) there's also the question of how much bullshit you're willing to put up with. And I don't think popularity or what the author was talking about really has that much to do with being an asshole. At the end of the day, kids in all the groups are assholes. Maybe they're assholes to different people and in different ways, but the social skills/desire part comes into play in what you think is asshole-ish behavior, how you deal with assholes, and what assholes you want to actually socialize with.

Fake edit: Huh, I could have sworn you were responding to my post. Maybe it's time for bed. D:

Chuckie

I never really saw a strong correlation between nerds and intelligence. A good number of the top students were fairly or very popular. I think the whole nerd = smart thing is something nerds tell ourselves to make us feel better, honestly. "Well, I'm not popular, but at least I'm smarter than those idiot jocks and shallow girls." And at 12 I can't say I didn't fall into that kind of thinking. And I certainly heard it from other nerds who never really showed any evidence of being smart.

You seem to be talking about geeks and not nerds.

nerd-venn-diagram-20110626-192132.jpg

I walked into a place called 'Geek Retreat' the other day, it's like a nerdy cafe where you can play video games, pinball and CCGs, a place to chill and read comics too while you get a drink or some food. As soon as I walked in they all stopped and looked at me, as if I was an outsider. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt since it was a rather lovely day outside. Everyone inside was wearing a black t-shirt 3 times too big for them with their favourite waifu on the front. None of them smiled or said hello.

Times have changed for sure. Back in the day we used to welcome our fellow nerds. I just sat at the back and ate my waffles while I read a comic and made some notes on game design. I'd look up now and again to watch them play their CCGs and smile if anyone made eye contact - you know the polite thing to do. But they just looked away. I just found it odd that in an environment catered to nerds that they still wouldn't feel comfortable to be a little sociable.

I consider myself a nerd - I like comics, computer games, movies, sci-fi, etc. but I don't know, man. Something must have changed in the 15 years or so I was a teenager. I was always keen to share my hobbies with others and get them involved. Not once did anyone ask if I wanted a game or learn to play their Magic/Pokémon games, even though they had guest decks available. Total shocker. The only time someone spoke to me was a man looking for a place to sit with his daughter, he wanted to know if he could share the table - SURE, I said! Then we chatted about stuff and his daughter talked about what she liked.

Pau

You seem to be talking about geeks and not nerds.
I'm going by the definition of the author I was responding to. Nerds are people want to be smarter more than they want anything else and thus intelligence correlates with unpopularity. I don't think that's really true.

patapuf

But it's also about how nerd culture as a cultural construct has a certain logic to it that rationalizes/excuses sexist / racist behavior. This is especially prevalent with the topic of women where nerd culture become entirely irrational in its exclusion and discrimination of women.

Of course, sexism and racism and bigotry exist across society in all its different subcultures, but there is a specific way that nerd culture employs its view on women.

Oh yeah, i certainly agree that "nerd-culture" has it's own brand of how all these attitudes express themselves/are self-justified.

I just don't think it's surprising that they exist in nerd-culture as well.

Chuckie

I'm going by what the author I was responding to. Nerds are people want to be smarter more than they want anything else and thus intelligence correlates with unpopularity. I don't think that's really true.

I am not saying I am agreeing with the author as 'intelligence' vs 'popularity', I am saying that intelligence IS a factor in being a Nerd.
A nerd is intelligent, but someone who is intelligent is of course not always a nerd.

patapuf

Well, yeah, that's the thing. Nerd culture (however nebulous that is) is part of a larger culture so there you go. I don't think that means we can't look at how sexism and racism are reproduced in these different places - separately and collectively.

Maybe in addition to (or instead of) social skill) there's also the question of how much bullshit you're willing to put up with. And I don't think popularity or what the author was talking about really has that much to do with being an asshole. At the end of the day, kids in all the groups are assholes. Maybe they're assholes to different people and in different ways, but the social skills/desire part comes into play in what you think is asshole-ish behavior, how you deal with assholes, and what assholes you want to actually socialize with.

Fake edit: Huh, I could have sworn you were responding to my post. Maybe it's time for bed. D:

I was but then i realised myself that i wasn't actually responding to your post (and the article you were talking about) well and just talking generally. So i removed the quote, I agree with what your are saying.

spekkeh

Banned
I walked into a place called 'Geek Retreat' the other day, it's like a nerdy cafe where you can play video games, pinball and CCGs, a place to chill and read comics too while you get a drink or some food. As soon as I walked in they all stopped and looked at me, as if I was an outsider. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt since it was a rather lovely day outside. Everyone inside was wearing a black t-shirt 3 times too big for them with their favourite waifu on the front. None of them smiled or said hello.

Times have changed for sure. Back in the day we used to welcome our fellow nerds. I just sat at the back and ate my waffles while I read a comic and made some notes on game design. I'd look up now and again to watch them play their CCGs and smile if anyone made eye contact - you know the polite thing to do. But they just looked away. I just found it odd that in an environment catered to nerds that they still wouldn't feel comfortable to be a little sociable.

I consider myself a nerd - I like comics, computer games, movies, sci-fi, etc. but I don't know, man. Something must have changed in the 15 years or so I was a teenager. I was always keen to share my hobbies with others and get them involved. Not once did anyone ask if I wanted a game or learn to play their Magic/Pokémon games, even though they had guest decks available. Total shocker. The only time someone spoke to me was a man looking for a place to sit with his daughter, he wanted to know if he could share the table - SURE, I said! Then we chatted about stuff and his daughter talked about what she liked.

It seems like being a nerd has become a social group, instead of lacking one.

It seems like being a nerd has become a social group, instead of lacking one.

It certainly felt that way, like a super exclusive group where you had to dress the same and believe the same stuff haha. I mean I'm only basing that on the initial impression as I walked in, but I did feel like I stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the younger ones in there. I don't know, I'm probably reading it all wrong, but there was hardly any real chatter happening. They were all deep into their CCGs.

Us older folks (I'm only 30!) on the back table had a good chat about comics and moives, so that was cool.

In response to the OT, and in agreement with others, I think 'Nerd' now is another thing altogether. It is about being a group that bands together (and this is me guessing) vent their misguided frustrations over the internet at 'lesser' groups/targets.

I shall return to Geek Retreat though, and I'll embrace those nerds in conversation. I SHALL TEACH THEM SOCIAL SKILLS!

Neo C.

The shitty nerds you describe have an identity crisis as the mainstream embraces nerd culture and they suddenly find themselves without a defined clique to belong to.

Before nerds stuck together, it was "them vs the rest, the enemy" but as nerd culture becomes "in" and videogames become accessible to everyone, comicbook movies are in, books like twilight and 50 shades reach the masses and the internet has exploded with everyone and their grandmas knowing the latests memes, nerds feel they lost their "secret club" and the lines of who is "us" and who is "them" to these shitty nerd people has been blurred, as a result they label everyone that is not like them an enemy, hence the sexism and overall bigotry.

And this, ladies and gentleman, is why you don't take a label and make it everything in your life.

I was about to write the same sentiment. Thanks, can't explain it better.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah. Much like hipster it's lost all meaning.

Hipster never had any meaning it's literally the most non descriptive thing you can call someone. Anyone remotely socially popular and many that aren't can be referred to as hipster considering the total vagueness of the term.

To clarify. The popular kids are not the problem (from the article I linked):
Another reason kids persecute nerds is to make themselves feel better. When you tread water, you lift yourself up by pushing water down. Likewise, in any social hierarchy, people unsure of their own position will try to emphasize it by maltreating those they think rank below. I've read that this is why poor whites in the United States are the group most hostile to blacks.

But I think the main reason other kids persecute nerds is that it's part of the mechanism of popularity. Popularity is only partially about individual attractiveness. It's much more about alliances. To become more popular, you need to be constantly doing things that bring you close to other popular people, and nothing brings people closer than a common enemy.

Because they're at the bottom of the scale, nerds are a safe target for the entire school. If I remember correctly, the most popular kids don't persecute nerds; they don't need to stoop to such things. Most of the persecution comes from kids lower down, the nervous middle classes.

The trouble is, there are a lot of them. The distribution of popularity is not a pyramid, but tapers at the bottom like a pear. The least popular group is quite small. (I believe we were the only D table in our cafeteria map.) So there are more people who want to pick on nerds than there are nerds.

Nerds are an easy target for the middle class. The truly popular kids don't care for them, they simply don't exist. Now think for a second, if you start working, what people do you usually work with? Suddenly, all of the middle class people pretending to be part of a sub-culture that they treated like shit because this people, from this particular sub-culture, are the ones that making the big cash and influence our form of living (smartphones, internet, social media etc.), so you get a middle class that plays a game of pretend. Is it really that surprising that older nerds are starting to show antisocial behaviours to the vast majority of people?

potam

Banned
Hipster never had any meaning it's literally the most non descriptive thing you can call someone. Anyone remotely socially popular and many that aren't can be referred to as hipster considering the total vagueness of the term.

hipster = someone who does stupid fucking shit just to be "different"

except they end up looking like everyone around them

BUT SERIOUSLY WHY DOES THIS FORUM CATCH SO MANY FUCKING FEELINGS OVER THE WORD 'NERD'???

Auctopus

Nerd culture has become the in thing, sadly. When I grew up it was sports, mainly. Which means several types of people could be considered 'Nerd'...

Videogames, robotics, building PCs, anime, movies, debated what next gen console to get (Ps3/360/Wii) in college, and made fun of each others internet speeds.

This is a nerd in high school.

You know what we didnt talk about? Hating women, hating minorities, blaming women for our faults, pcmasterrace, or whatever the fuck is currently going on in the "nerd" sphere.

This is when a nerd doesn't learn to grow up.

PillarEN

I doubt most high school/college nerds are talking about hating this group or that group. They're nerding out. The internet is a different story.

Circinus

You seem to be taking the term 'nerd' pretty broadly and when the term is that broad I'm not sure if the attribute of being 'nerd' is even that relevant anymore. Not sure if it's possible to define the term 'nerd' unambiguously, but it's a silly term to me.

If you include people into video games, movie/anime, engineering/robotics, science, technology etc as being 'nerd', you end up with a really large group. I think almost everyone can be considered a nerd in a way, with how technology and digital entertainment are 2 key things that define modern culture.

I think you're really just generalizing, OP. Just judge them as "shitty people" if that's what you want to do, regardless whether they have certain hobbies or not.

Maybe if we stop defining people based on superficial stuff like hobbies and judge as individual persons and their individual actions, you'll have an answer.

Yeah, exactly.

I must say though, that GAF has gotten more snarky and mean-spirited since I started 10 years ago. It seemed more communal and geekier when I first started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom