• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When did spoilers become such a big deal (no spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

i'm so glad you are a super genius when watching bad movies

It's not about being smart. As someone noted, spoilers only really mattered before when they included a plot twist. However, movies are so formulaic these days, that shouldn't even matter. Anyway, the movies I listed specifically had plot twists in them, and I'm certainly not the only one who saw those endings coming. You never think ahead when watching a movie? Not being snarky, that's an honest question. PEACE.

rCIZZLE

To be fair, it's WAY worse on Gaf than anywhere else. I mean, people complain about podcast spoilers on here.

When someone posted
Diablo (lol)
was the final boss in the Diablo 3 OT people posted walls of angry text showing how bad the person messed up. Probably the only place on the internet where that reaction is expected.

Because I usually figure things out long before they happen. I figured out the end to The Village about halfway through it. I told my sister and she was stunned when it came true. I figured out Shutter Island within the first half hour. Had a strong hunch about Sixth Sense's reveal in the last 30 minutes.

About the only movie that totally took me by surprise was Usual Suspects. However, that movie taught me to look for little hints and clues in movies, and I've made it a habit of trying to guess the surprise in movies since then. It doesn't diminish the reveal at all, as a movie is more than one surprising moment. I'm hoping the rest of the 1.5-3 hour movie was worth sitting through, anyway. If not, that reveal is not gonna compensate for the wasted time. For me, I enjoy the full journey, whether I know the end or not.

As an example, I knew Blair Witch wasn't real long before I went to see it in the theaters, but it had me legitimately scared at times just because it was shot in such a suspenseful manner. I guess I don't put so much weight in little things. PEACE.

The usual suspects was the only one of those I realize the plot twist just by looking at the names of the cast.
---
Can you really tell me that you get no enjoyment for discovering that you were right all along? that's what they try to accomplish with those types of narrative, it's always meant to please the viewer in one or other way.
Nevertheless, spoilers are not only about plot twist or characters that die, etc. A spoiler ruins something by definition, if those things little affected your viewing they were not spoilers for you. However, what about knowing how to solve a puzzle in a video game?

Pimpwerx

I can't respect anything you say. The annoying PEACE guy wanting to push his spoiler beliefs on others. Not worth any effort.

Why be a dick?

What have I done to offend you?

Also, why does anyone get mad about the word peace? Isn't that more telling of your own insecurities? SMH.

I'm not pushing my beliefs on anyone. You could just not click on the thread, or not click the reply button. This is a question I've asked for a while. People who know me on IRC know this. They also know I don't just post spoilers. Though I respect people's feelings on spoilers, I'm still boggled by them. PEACE.

It's not about being smart. As someone noted, spoilers only really mattered before when they included a plot twist. However, movies are so formulaic these days, that shouldn't even matter. Anyway, the movies I listed specifically had plot twists in them, and I'm certainly not the only one who saw those endings coming. You never think ahead when watching a movie? Not being snarky, that's an honest question. PEACE.

Of course people think ahead. Spike could die at the end of Cowboy Bebop. He might not. Maybe he does get away with Julia. I don't know. I don't know what's gonna happen next, or how it's gonna happen, or why. That's part of the fun.

balddemon

Banned
i spoiled the end of season 4 of breaking bad for myself

then i posted something in such a way that coincided with the ending of the final episode...and lots of people quoted me, which was my goal. hahaha

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Funny you should mention Usual Suspects, it's still, years later, a joke shared between my wife and I about how memorably, succinctly, directly and completely she managed to spoil the movie for me before I saw it. (She saw it a few weeks before I was able due to being away for work)

How succinctly? - 4 words.

How direct, completely and memorably?

Those four words were
"It was the cripple"
- said to my brother during a conversation about the film, it was as short, sweet and memorable as I think it was possible for such a complex (at the time) film to get spoiled by.

I double facepalmed upon hearing those words because I knew that despite knowing not one single thing about the film, I would know and put it into context as soon as I saw it.

The film was still great, but I absolutely can't say that a large part of the enjoyment of the film was utterly lost by knowing, by anticipating his appearance and losing the journey through the film that I should have experienced.

You know what are the worst spoilers of all?

Telling someone that the movie is good for certain reasons and build up their expectations.

Telling someone that they should keep looking for something in particular.

Telling someone that it gets bad at the end, or that it ends stupidly, without giving any details.

Pimpwerx

i spoiled the end of season 4 of breaking bad for myself

then i posted something in such a way that coincided with the ending of the final episode...and lots of people quoted me, which was my goal. hahaha

I wonder how people avoid spoilers for tv shows. I got spoiled with certain things from Breaking Bad long before I marathoned the series. The Season5 previews have been running on a lot of channels, and they show the end of Season4. I didn't realize it, of course, until the end of Season4. LOL! Still, it was impossible for me to avoid it unless I change the channel anytime a commercial came on. PEACE.

Ra\/en

Funny you should mention Usual Suspects, it's still, years later, a joke shared between my wife and I about how memorably, succinctly, directly and completely she managed to spoil the movie for me before I saw it. (She saw it a few weeks before I was able due to being away for work)

Those four words were
"It was the cripple"
- said to my brother during a conversation about the film, it was as short, sweet and memorable as I think it was possible for such a complex (at the time) film to get spoiled by.

I double facepalmed upon hearing those words because I knew that despite knowing not one single thing about the film, I would know and put it into context as soon as I saw it.

The film was still great, but I absolutely can't say that a large part of the enjoyment of the film was utterly lost by knowing, by anticipating his appearance and losing the journey through the film that I should have experienced.

Someone spoiled that movie for me before I saw it. I've never been able to finish it. I wonder what could have been :p.

rCIZZLE

I wonder how people avoid spoilers for tv shows. I got spoiled with certain things from Breaking Bad long before I marathoned the series. The Season5 previews have been running on a lot of channels, and they show the end of Season4. I didn't realize it, of course, until the end of Season4. LOL! Still, it was impossible for me to avoid it unless I change the channel anytime a commercial came on. PEACE.

One of my buddies spoiled the latest season of Dexter for himself when we were at SDCC. About 6 words into the Dexter panel description in the schedule was the spoiler for the very end of the season. So easy to have shows spoiled if you aren't extremely careful.

- J - D -

I don't gasp, but I chase those "gasp" moments in movies that have a good central mystery or surprise twist. It's a good feeling.

I typically only purposefully read spoilers for things that sound kind of cool but I don't want to sink time/money into viewing/playing. It's disheartening if I manage to spoil myself by being too nosy or something, but it's not the end of the world. Learned the hard way not to read youtube comments for videos that have anything to do with something I don't want spoiled.

I do like to go into a new show, movie, or game fresh and be able to try to anticipate and guess stuff, cheer when I get it right or be amazed when the plot twists are actually surprising.

Unmarked spoilers for things in completely unpredictable areas are the worst, though. Unmarked s-CRY-ed character death spoilers in a Shadow Hearts topic, really? Just cover stuff up when you can and avoid talking about spoilers for unrelated things if you can, because some people just don't want to see it.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
I start singing to myself, close my eyes and plug my ears if something is about to be spoiled for me as I watch commercials.

Pimpwerx

Those four words were
"It was the cripple"

I can certainly understand certain things. Usual Suspects came out of the blue for me, and when a movie leads you along by the nose all the way to the end, you don't want to know what happens. Those I classify under legitimate plot twists, where the perception of the previous 2 hours or so of the movies changes once you know this big twist.

However, something that's had a popular story in print years in advance, or something downright formulaic like "violent character dies violent death after engaging in violence for an entire movie" shouldn't be considered spoilers. And I know some people are getting mad, because that probably spoils some movie out today, but...c'mon. It's gotta be within reason.

I was surprised so many people got mad at Fish for spoiling MGS2 years ago, so this is something that kinda surprises me. Before the internet, you'd get spoiled at the water cooler. PEACE.

rCIZZLE

I honestly don't think that The Usual Suspects is as watchable today as it was years ago because of the acting careers of its cast.

I disagree. The acting by basically everybody in the movie was superb. I'd think the acting careers taking a nosedive is more reason to watch this movie. I mean come on, how many movies with the same 5 actors do we need to watch?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The only thing I've really gone out of my way not to spoil myself on are the endings to Nier, because I've heard they're really well done.

(Several years on and I still haven't finished it. :lol)

Acerac

Banned
I had the new Batman movie spoiled for me twice and the spoilers contradicted each other directly.

I'm still not going to bother with it til it hits the cheap shows.

I disagree. The acting by basically everybody in the movie was superb. I'd think the acting careers taking a nosedive is more reason to watch this movie. I mean come on, how many movies with the same 5 actors do we need to watch?

I mean
Kevin Spacey specifically, hasn't he been playing Villiains almost exclusively ever since, I think one would suspect he is a bad guy right away
(just in case, this is a The Usual Suspects spoiler)

Spoilers ruin things for some people. I'd rather not know what happens before I watch or play something, because it ruins the feeling of surprise you may get at that moment. I never finished Grandia II because someone spoiled a bunch of things that happen.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
People tell me spoilers, I get all depressed for two weeks, and then I forget them in two years and go back to the product I wanted to enjoy.

rCIZZLE

I mean
Kevin Spacey specifically, hasn't he been playing Villiains almost exclusively ever since, I think one would suspect he is a bad guy right away
(just in case, this is a The Usual Suspects spoiler)

Tagging everything to be on the safe side.

True, he's been in a few movies recently where he was the bad guy but he's also been in some like K-PAX and Pay It Forward where he was the opposite. He did such an amazing job selling the victim role that I don't think the average person would automatically guess him to be Keyser Soze until near the end. Even if they saw Se7en and Superman right before it lol.

I have a friend who I've seen flip to the last page of a book he's reading because he was wondering how it was going to end.

David Letterman spoiled The Crying Game for me, although the movie had been out for a while by then.

A group of my friends and I get together once a year for a vacation and we've made it a tradition to watch the previous season's Dexter on DVD. Somehow, I've always managed to stay spoiler-free. I guess it doesn't hurt that what people are mostly saying about it is that the season sucked.

I used to be the guy who was always trying to figure out the ending. Now I just let it happen, and I think I get more satisfaction from it.

then that would be the fault of the author. romeo & juliet begins with the narrator telling you what will ultimately happen to both of the young lovers. i don't think the play's "dramatic levity" was affected negatively.

Then that's not a spoiler.

swoon

it's a bigger deal now because people consume content at such different timeframes, whereas you had to watch a tv show at set time and movie going was a weekly event - movies didn't stay in theaters very long.

as arts are less important in people's lives and as people consume content on their own time spolier culture occurs. i think a lot also comes because spoliercasts/recaps are easy content to create for content producers which feeds into it as well

I struggle to comprehend how time and time again there are people that seemingly CANNOT comprehend how spoilers can ruin a film/book/tv show/whatever for you. Is it really that hard a concept to grasp? I feel like I'm talking to another species sometimes. Like some sort of aliens that are trying to learn how the human psyche works.

Draconian

I struggle to comprehend how time and time again there are people that seemingly CANNOT comprehend how spoilers can ruin a film/book/tv show/whatever for you. Is it really that hard a concept to grasp? I feel like I'm talking to another species sometimes. Like some sort of aliens that are trying to learn how the human psyche works.

Because they aren't even subtle. Didn't you get the memo?

bb_098MorganFreeman.jpg

I know some people who have to be spoiled about *everything* in a movie before they see it because they can't deal with surprises, basically, especially characters dying. Which I think is an order of magnitude weirder than being anal about being spoiled at all.

To be fair, it's WAY worse on Gaf than anywhere else. I mean, people complain about podcast spoilers on here.

I hate to say it, but I totally agree with this. I've had people get mad at me for posting about things that happened on a television episode that has already aired in the thread for the series. It's easily one of my least favorite things about the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom