• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do you think PS5's will be widely available?

When will PS5 be widely available?

• Q1 2021

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Q2 2021

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • Q3 2021

Votes: 53 29.0%
  • Q4 2021

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • Q1 2022

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • Q2 2022

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Q3 2022

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Q4 2022

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • 2023 or later

Votes: 15 8.2%

• Total voters
That is, to be able to buy one in a store or online at essentially any time.

Also, how long do you think until 30XX cards and Series X consoles are available?

kretos

Banned
come-back-1-60ecd5bd58.jpg

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It’s already becoming easier to find. I’ve seen in in stock 5 or 6 times already online in the last two weeks, so by Spring they’ll be easy to find.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I bought 20,000 PS5s to screw with the short sellers. And holding on to them. Right, thats what we were suppose to do?
HOOOODL while DFV makes all the millions and it's business as usual for the hedge funds (Sony).

Sony just announced they sold 4.5 millions PS5s and yet everyone is struggling to get one. It won't be easy until 2022.

Trimesh

Banned
The biggest problem is that there are huge fab capacity limitations across pretty much the whole of the electronics business right now. The earliest you can book fab capacity at TSMC is mid 2022 - if you want to run anything earlier that that, then you basically have to find someone else that already has a fab slot and bribe them to assign it to you. Even commodity parts like RAM and flash are on allocation.
This is especially a problem for consoles because the console business model (sell the hardware cheap and make it up on the software) doesn't give you much leeway for handling supply chain issues - if you're making something like an iPhone and you need to pay extra to get your chip made sooner you can do it because you have enough profit built into the price to handle it, but the consoles don't.

FrankWza

I picked q1 2022. Q4 of this year will still be tough and there’s a good chance it will still be the most sought after consumer electronic item next Christmas as well. The production will be higher but so will demand. Especially if we get GT7 and 1 or 2 exclusives this year

Elog

Right now there is a perfect storm on the silicon side. The consoles and GPUs are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of shortages. This year several car manufacturers have had to stop production lines due to lack of chips for electronic assembly. I do not think anyone has a good ETA on when shortages will abate but if Chine goes hard on Taiwan a lot of supply chains will be royally f'ed for a long time, i.e. massive economic damage. And I think China knows that...

Dr.D00p

I think frustrated PC gamers who can't get a GPU, any GPU never mind a shiny new 30xx card, are adding to the problem of PS5 availability as they're giving up on PC gaming in the short to medium term and deciding to go console.

Ceadeus

Scalpers are a problem. They made so much money, they'll want more. So what is their next step. What type of company scalpers would open.

There's at least one bid for each PS5 on EBay. Boredom and the fear of missing is getting the best out of these people. The reality is that there's still nothing really new or exciting to play on new gen right now.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Right now there is a perfect storm on the silicon side. The consoles and GPUs are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of shortages. This year several car manufacturers have had to stop production lines due to lack of chips for electronic assembly. I do not think anyone has a good ETA on when shortages will abate but if Chine goes hard on Taiwan a lot of supply chains will be royally f'ed for a long time, i.e. massive economic damage. And I think China knows that...

Scalpers and what this guy just said.

Plus, smartphones manufacturers are always demanding to be on the latest node for their flagships.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Surely demand will ease as the Northern Hemisphere moves into Spring, rona cases decline seasonally, and people start putting money towards beer gardens and ball games.

gamer82

i'll say for this holiday/christmas, yes ideally they would want it now but despite they have made a profit even at a loss with what they have sold. Since were still in cross gen its giving them abit of leg room as they games can still be played, but if anyones holding out for a small version then you may be waiting even longer :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Pinktaco

Yesterday i read than one of the bigger electronic store in Denmark, is opening to get a chance win an opportunity to buy the ps5.
So they have made a game out of trying to buy the console.
What a complete joke. It's almost as of 2021 missed 2020. What a time to be alive

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Do we have any idea how many they are shipping each month? I don't mean last year, because they built up stock, I mean now. What is their steady state delivery rate for the hardware? PS4 on average sold 1.3 million units per month over its first 7 years. Can they deliver PS5s at that rate now? Either way it is lower than the ~ 2.5 million per month last year that included a launch build up. I found a sales forcast that predicts 17 million sold by the end of 2021. That is close enough to 1 million per month this year, on top of the 4.5 million last year. If PS4 sold well over 110m units, how many PS4 owners want a PS5 now or this year? Is it more than 15%? If so, shortages will last through the year. I think there is that much demand and scarcity is making it higher.

For consoles there tends to be a lot that want them ASAP and then many who will snap them up when available but don't go out of their way to find one, the third group are people that need a more compelling reason to buy one and do so later in the life cycle. The first group has not had their demand satisfied yet and the second group will keep them out of stock intermittently for a while after the first group gets their systems. The hype and lack of supply will likely increase the size of the second group by converting some in the 3rd group with the scarcity draw. In order for the systems to be plentiful this year, they would have to do so by September because October brings big new titles and that leads into the Holiday season. I don't see that happening.

Scalping is another factor. People seem to think it is easy to scalp, but it really isn't and not many sell on ebay compared to the total sold. Still people buy them to try to make a quick buck so there will be a lot of listings and some will sell. But many will start to have problems selling them for a profit on ebay with their 13% cut. I am not sure when this will occur, but in the past I was able to score a Wii and 360 for nearly retail by wining some auctions, and in one case, forcing the scalper to honor the deal by escalating through ebay. Regardless, up to 10-20% of units shipped will be caught up in ebay in the US until people stop paying for the convenience of being able to buy one with a few stress free clicks.

Q1/Q2 2022 at the earliest.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
MS said they have supply issues until the Summer. I think PS will be worse due to more demand and then the holidays hit. I think it will be a little easier in a few months, but they probably won’t be able to be bought by casually strolling into a store until next year.

It's going to be a while. Lots of news articles coming out lately and even car manufacturers are having difficulties. Seems USA gov't policy and tariffs has caused many companies to move production out of china to bypass Trumps tariffs and they can only go to factories that are at full production already.

Don't expect to see a XSX, PS5, or them fancy 3080's on store shelves until 2022.

Humdinger

I've heard they expect stock shortages at least through June, so I'm hoping that by August or so, we can find them more easily.

Top Bottom