• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When does the indy experimentation into 3d platformers begin?

sn00zer

Just started playing Fez today for the first time, and realized it was a very cool little game with a lot of mechanics I hadnt seen before. Anyway, it got me thinking, we have had just under a royal fuck ton of indy 2d platformers this gen with all manner of reinventing the genre, applying weird and interesting mechanics, making them JRPGs, action adventure games, horror... and while im not a huge fan for 2d platforming in general it is nice to see the "genre" looked at in so many different ways....

so when is the indy scene going to move into 3d platformers?

We've had a few so far, but when are we going to see a "royal fuckton" of 3d platformers coming from the indy guys? I know they are much more complex which will certainly result in fewer titles, but even so it would be nice to see a small flood of games trying to reinvent what we've seen with 3d platformers, because what we've seen for just about forever is using the Mario 64 model and building from that, which has served very well, but it would be cool to see what other ways thee are to approaching a 3d space.

Volotaire

Yep Hat in Time looks to have potential, but there are definitely titles starting to come out in this genre on kickstarter.

arit

3d platformer cameras are a bitch to do, even those professionals cannot get them right. The generic non platformer is way more forgiving in that aspect.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
A Hat in Time and Oliver & Spike come to mind. Hopefully they're the first of many.

bomblord

Banned
I don't see it happening soon the cost of making a truly well done 3D game is far too much for most true "indie" studios.

Feep

Banned
Speaking as an indie dev with a budget of around a quarter million, I would need at least four times that to even begin to consider it.

= (

I've had enough of 2D 16 bit sprite based/side scrolling games. I hope indies start getting their inspiration from PS1/N64 era platformers.

Tain

modeling and animating nice-looking humanoid characters and environments is harder than this:

Clipboard22-620x.jpg

in fact, it might require professionals that want to be paid and need to be managed

I think that there are two things to take into consideration.
1. It's much more difficult/expensive to create an attractive looking 3D platformer.
2. The people that grew up with 3D platformers are probably in college or have just graduated.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Speaking as an indie dev with a budget of around a quarter million, I would need at least four times that to even begin to consider it.

= (
This is super unfortunate :(

I guess it's a similar sort of deal for genres like racing games.

Raziel

I don't think they can afford to. Higher costs leads to longer development time, higher prices, more risk. Journey had an arduous 3 year development time and practically bankrupted TGC by the end of it. And that was with the help of Sony money/resources. Blow is probably facing similar challenges with The Witness; it's been in development since 2008.

Five

Banned
It's been mentioned before, but I want to echo that 3D games cost a lot more and are significantly more involved. The collision is more complicated to set up, levels take longer to build, the graphics have to go further to look good, et cetera.

Feep

Banned
Want.

Feep stop spending all your game dev money on hookers :(
For reference, my idea of a 3-D platformer is a Mario 64/Banjo Kazooie type of affair. Papo y Yo succeeds in a smaller scope, and apparently the team had 14 guys?! How does 90k pay for 14 guys?!

Also I love hookers.

MrT-Tar

Nintendo haven't really positioned themselves like the Vita so probably not anytime soon.

In terms of indies, isn't the WiiU pretty much as attractive (if not more due to the Unity deal) as the Vita?

it's a shame neither are exactly setting the charts on fire though

Top Bottom