• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When eBay profiteering goes bad

gprime

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sony-Playstation...6QQihZ019QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

5c_1.JPG

Winning bid: US $651.00 (Approximately C $728.14)

gprime

Huh? No. He probably camped out all night to get that preorder.. and he made a LOSS on the auction. He paid $900+ for the package and the auction went for $728+$60 shipping.

Yamaha98

Always wondered about these type of scenarios. What happens if the seller decides NOT to ship this & makes a total new account to start over?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Only 2 bids, wonder what happened there.

Unless all the new Ebay/PayPal rules has scared people off the idea. Seems odd though.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Wario64 said:
Uhh...look harder

Why was the auction so low?

Ah I just thought that long line of numbers blurred was the Credit Card No, but yeah looked at it properly now.

Cant he like just ditch his Ebay account and run?

gprime

Mr Toast said:
The auction says he only accepts bids from people with 50 feedback or more. He has a loophole of sorts.

Those are the super-anal eBay guidelines for selling a PS3/Wii preorder. The SELLER must have 50+ feedbacks, a linked paypal account, post the receipt, etc. The BUYER only needs more than 0 (see closer to the button of the auction).

No loophole, but i wouldn't be surprised the PS3 accidently goes "missing" (bailout.jpg)

Acosta

hahahahahahahaha
hahaahhahahahahahahahahahaha

Ah, my dream of all speculators getting owned with PS3 launch is closer now.

Sega

thingonaspring said:
yes you can but tends to cause people to shy away if the price is too high.
Yeah, but in this case, NO ONE expects your reserve to be lower than the cost of the system. No one's expecting any "deals" on the PS3 on ebay. I don't think it'd scare anyone to try to break even with the reserve.

Mallika

I wonder who was more shocked at the end -- the buyer or the seller?

But yeah, he should have had a reserve price.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
maybe there were just better auctions to bet on, and also this was in canada, so i dont think americans will really be in the market for it

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
He could have either set a reserve OR started the minimum bid at his cost. Either way, he would have come out ahead.

I still hate reserve auctions... start the auction at the lowest price you'll take, nitwits.

rastex

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Maybe he'll just not send it out and refund the guy. That's what I'd do. Negative feedback doesn't mean shit.

Actually you have to have a rating of 99% to post a PS3 pre-order auction. So it definitely means more than "shit".

evil ways

Yamaha98 said:
Always wondered about these type of scenarios. What happens if the seller decides NOT to ship this & makes a total new account to start over?

Unless he has 2 different credit cards then he's screwed as an error message indicating that the credit card he's registering with is already on Ebay's servers will prevent him from getting a new account.

momolicious said:
are yall just jealous of ebayers or what
Yea that must be it.
Im gladly keeping my preorder, its funny this guy is ****ed on a loss.
Lets not start another debate about right and wrong on this issue. Its very funny that he tried to make a big ass profit on this and is losing money

rastex said:
Actually you have to have a rating of 99% to post a PS3 pre-order auction. So it definitely means more than "shit".

Could be a problem for him. OK, plan B: pay the guy off to leave you positive feedback in spite of not sending it.

shuri

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Wouldn't he just simply not ship the goods out?
losing a 50+ positive feedback account sucks. His feedback history is certainly interesting, he keeps buying those erotica cartoons :lol

Tiktaalik

This was totally happening for the 360 launch too. I remember because I got my 360 before launch because I won one, and I looked into maybe ebaying it, but the 360s for sale on there that other people had won were pretty much only going for around the actual retail price so I decided not to and opened the box instead. Then the day the 360 actually came out the prices jumped to over $800. WTF?? Oh well....

human5892

Queen of Denmark
He should've waited. Many people are suspicious of bidding on something that the seller doesn't yet have in-hand. Even if you laboriously explain to them 100 times the concept of a preorder, and point to your positive feedback, if the wrong couple of people see your auction, it's sunk.

Putting new consoles on eBay also seems to be something that you should generally keep other items out of (i.e., sell the console on its own). During the 360 auctions last year, I noticed that the few auctions that contained other items like games or controllers generally picked up much less profit. People don't like to have bundles forced on them.

Top Bottom