• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When is leveling too slow?

kiryogi

Banned
Definitely not like this

exp-chart.jpg

:even so it's sorta balanced like that. Too many 99s would be bad :p

deakon

I ask because I heard a guy say that a game was going to die because it was going to take him 10 hours to lvl when he was half way to the lvl cap. I just thought that was a little dumb.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't really care about leveling up. I'm playing a game so I can be entertained, not do some tedious chore

A) RO is stupid.
B) you know leveling is too slow when you're beginning to say "Man, it's been a fucking long ass time since I leveled."

neptunes said:
but disgea is fun(funny story and all)....most mmorpg's get boring after time.

It gets boring If you want it to be. It gets boring because it's different. It gets boring because it's so vast. IMO of course. Much like Morrowind.

kiryogi

Banned
Tre said:
A) RO is stupid.
B) you know leveling is too slow when you're beginning to say "Man, it's been a fucking long ass time since I leveled."

RO is no different from many other mmorpgs out there. As inane as it gets with the grind.

"RO is no different from many other mmorpgs out there. As inane as it gets with the grind."

Except it piles on the level grind with a borked economy system, stupid drops, lag, and stupid progression with mobs.

kiryogi

Banned
Tre said:
"RO is no different from many other mmorpgs out there. As inane as it gets with the grind."

Except it piles on the level grind with a borked economy system, stupid drops, lag, and stupid progression with mobs.

Economy is player-based, which isn't all that bad. Lag has been addressed ages ago :p Stupid drops? You mean lack of straight money? That's also related to the economy. Also the mob progression is based around partying. (With a nice 10lvl share range now) It's also based for the higher players, since it seems more logical to please the older folks. (To keep them playing etc. etc.)

bjork

I've always wanted to see balanced level requirements. The "increase exponentially" thing is too time consuming, and keeps me from tying to finally get a PSO character to level 200.

I quite like the idea of levelling up being used in other genres. It's a way for the game to be more thoroughly enjoyed by more gamers.

I know a lot of people like the elitism of being able to finish a hard game, but frankly I don't really see the logic in spending X amount of time on a game, to only have a small percentage of people really experience it fully.

What I think needs done is for developers to appreciate that when it comes to difficulty that not everyone wants the same thing. In the case of most action games, and shooters selectable difficulty levels are the norm, but why doesn't this apply to other genres like platformers or rpgs. Why don't games like FF and Zelda (being too examples I can think of that have had flak for being too easy) have selectable difficulty levels? I think there is no reason for them not to.

I also think that any suposed loss of elitism can be answered by the way people make there own challenges, such as low level runs.

Slightly off of levelling balance but I thought FFVI had a nice levelling idea that I'd like more games to copy, and that's when you died and restarted at a save point you kept the experience from when you died rather than from when you last saved. I think the psychological effect that it had on the levelling process was subtle but important for the gameplaying experience. It encourages the player to just keep pressing forward and enjoy the game, rather than occassionaly breaking from the game in order to do a leveling up grind. Ninja Gaiden strikes me as a recent game that would have benefitted from such a system.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Vieo

You know, I think another question that needs to be answered is why does leveling seem so slow in MMORPGs in comparison to single player RPGs.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Vieo said:
You know, I think another question that needs to be answered is why does leveling seem so slow in MMORPGs in comparison to single player RPGs.

Actually thats quite simple.
If it was as fast as a single player RPG, then people would get to the end too quick.

Vieo said:

It takes time to siphon money out of your wallet.

Belfast

Vieo said:

Simply to keep you playing longer so they can make more money off of ya.

ManaByte

Gold Member
MrPing1000 said:
play an mmporg where there is no real leveling. Like eve

Well, EVE is a skill based system like UO and SWG. You still level, but skills. And while EVE does what Earth & Beyond failed to do, it may turn of a lot of people with its time-based leveling system.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I really really REALLY wish I would have paid the $50 for two years. It's just that at that time I'd been playing a game a lot and thought the $50 would be better spent on SSX3 than some indie game :(

I really miss PP :(

Die Squirrel Die said:
And that's all I have to say about that.

To be honest, I kind of agree. I like to relax while playing games, and it's a lot less frustrating in an RPG if I know that the time I've spent won't be "wasted" if I die.

On the other hand, it does remove a degree of challenge and sense of urgency.

Ecrofirt

I don't really play RPGs much because of the experiences I had with leveling in Dragon Warrior 1 on NES.

Chrst, I'd play for hours upon hours near the end without leveling up at all.

B'z-chan

Banned
Play FFXI and see if you can get a pt. I have been sitting in Kazham for days without a pt. I've been at the same level for 3 weeks now. I'm getting pissed.

Joe

ultima online was perfect. skills that rewarded the most took the longest. 100 in cartography took months and months. you could spend hours and hours and get just .1 in mid-high 90's.

Top Bottom