When keeping it woke goes wrong: Alyssa Milano gets backlash for tweeting "I'm Trans. I'm a POC"

Oct 9, 2013
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebr...ar-BBUErw9?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout#page=2

She had the right intentions, but Alyssa Milano's tweet on International Women's Day rubbed some people the wrong way.

On Friday, after sending a message of support to her "transgender sisters," the actress and advocate responded to a question about whether she is trans by saying, "I’m trans. I’m a person of color. I’m an immigrant. I’m a lesbian. I’m a gay man. I’m the disabled."

However, because Milano is a straight white woman, people on Twitter called her out for "being none of those things," having a "fake experience" and using the term "the disabled." Her ill-advised message of inclusion was compared to an "I don't see color" approach.

After reading some of the objections to her tweet, Milano followed up.

"I’m glad this tweet invoked conversation. I’m so sorry it offended some. I see you and hear you," she said, adding that she intended to invoke the 13th century Persian poet Jalaluddin Rumi, who said, "This is a subtle truth. Whatever you love, you are.”

To that, she got some supporters, but also more backlash, with followers telling her to "read the whole poem" and "Oppression and intersectionality isn’t an outfit that you decide to put on whenever you like."

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
I was listening to a FGC podcast the other day, I forget which one, anyway they have this black guy on I think he's a regular host, he just flat out said "...I'm a colored person in the FGC", and you could hear the anuses tighten in the room. lol he just kept talking no pause or anything, no big deal, and even I mentally paused for a second and thought "GASP, no he dih-n't....", but yeah, I love how people of color is woke term de jeur, but colored people is antiquated racist language.

lol @ "I'm THE disabled"

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2013
I was listening to a FGC podcast the other day, I forget which one, anyway they have this black guy on I think he's a regular host, he just flat out said "...I'm a colored person in the FGC", and you could hear the anuses tighten in the room. lol he just kept talking no pause or anything, no big deal, and even I mentally paused for a second and thought "GASP, no he dih-n't....", but yeah, I love how people of color is woke term de jeur, but colored people is antiquated racist language.

lol @ "I'm THE disabled"
We're literally living in real life South Park times :p

May 17, 2012
Canada
I want to go back in time and slip into the universe where identity politics never became a thing. It is pure cancer. I don't care about anyone's identity, I only care how they interact with with others on an individual basis. I don't hate them, I just hate their ideas, the reverse is not the same. If you are against them or aggrieved them in any way you are evil and must be destroyed, even if your intentions are in their best interest.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Isnt this kinda like in France when everyone was like Je Suis Charlie?

Isn't she just trying to express solidarity with those various groups?

F'n identity politics and victim mentality.

Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
In the same way that a child might rattle off all the swearwords they know in one long nonsensical stream to impress their friends, this sounds like nothing but random identities mashed together. This is quite possibly the most feature-complete virtue signaling I've witnessed on Twitter.

If you are everything, and I am everything, that means I cannot be your oppressor.

Oops, doesn't that clash with the ideology? Shuddup, Alyssa, and get back to your #metoo preaching. You're going off the script.

Dec 3, 2013
In the same way that a child might rattle off all the swearwords they know in one long nonsensical stream to impress their friends, this sounds like nothing but random identities mashed together. This is quite possibly the most feature-complete virtue signaling I've witnessed on Twitter.

If you are everything, and I am everything, that means I cannot be your oppressor.

Oops, doesn't that clash with the ideology? Shuddup, Alyssa, and get back to your #metoo preaching. You're going off the script.
Hey listen, at least she started a conversation.

A nonsensical mental gymnastics, but one none the less.

Apr 25, 2009
Australia
When I hear people say "person of color" unironically, I know I can pretty much discount anything they ever say again. What a ridiculous, pretentious term.

I'm going to buy some school children some pencils of color. Their teacher isn't fat, she has a body of size.
Too many minimally exceptional people with severe intelligence deficits in positions of power masking fascism as manners.

Sep 24, 2014
Nope
She seemed to just be trying to say that we're all on common ground as human beings? Twitter sucks and doesn't allow for much nuance.
Words of a far more decent man than I, she never showed the same empathy for any of her targets she attacks on Twitter, she deserves to reap what she sowed in my opinion. Empathy and understanding breeds healing and an eye for an eye brings further division, but I still can't get passed the fact she did this to herself and helped create the atmosphere where everything can be taken out of context so let her enjoy it I say.

Aug 30, 2014

lol @ "I'm THE disabled"

My grandmother is in her 90s and uses terms like 'the orientals'. She is made out of pure love and has dedicated more time to helping people than most people here have been alive.

So many words have changed since my wife and I have been kids that my wife and I fumble around and often have no idea what the current acceptable word is for various groups. Some have literally changed multiple times. I can't wait till all the current day word police get turned in to the authorities by the little word fascists they raise because all their woke terms are going to be wrong in 5 years.

Life is too short to be offended by word choice. Most normal people aren't hyper turned in to any of this and it's absolutely impossible to expect anyone to keep up with it all. Good luck trying to get Grammy to stop talking about the orientals, let alone keep up with wymxn or any of that horseshit.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2014
She seemed to just be trying to say that we're all on common ground as human beings? Twitter sucks and doesn't allow for much nuance.
Eh, you were able to clearly get across "we're all on common ground as human beings" in 42 characters. Maybe it takes longer in woke speak, but I have a hard time believing her problem is 'nuance'.

Oct 9, 2013
I'm so tired of all the outrage these days. It was obviously a well-intentioned statement showing support for each category she mentioned.
Yep, twitter is a cancer. However, she is part of this culture of twitter outrage. This is just another case of them devouring themselves.

Aug 30, 2014
How can someone so hot be so repulsive?
I dislike dating myself, but she was probably my first celebrity crush circa Who's the Boss.

Who dodged a bullet? Me, that's who.

Kids, I'm warning you now, to paraphrase Harvey Dent, they either die as your wet dream or live long enough to become your nightmare.

Last edited:

OSC

Banned
Jun 16, 2018
Too many minimally exceptional people with severe intelligence deficits in positions of power masking fascism as manners.

Not necessarily, the world is governed by mechanical rules, like an instrument. You can ignore the rules but it would be incredibly painful, as nothing is good and nothing is wrong devoid of the mechanical fairy tale like rules governing any and all interaction.

Even realizing the presence of the rules, is almost like realizing you're with a corpse on strings and not with a lover, it can destroy the illusion of love.

wokeness

conexion connection between the artist and his work a reflection of his life TRUTH FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE WEB OF RELATIONS

conqueror of time, with unlimited time, findings
a world of make belief
a tragedy of knowing the secret of magic
reality warping maximum power of evolution
breaking all the rules
exhaustion of meaning

comment(doesn't know right from wrong bs, knows it but likely believes it is meaningless distinction)
finding something is a material thing is like finding it is made out of clay
the ideal life is purely digital

an incarnation of digital matter
reality is but a hallucination of a digital computer, an eternal naturally occurring digital computer, all there is.
digital information is eternal it can neither be created nor destroyed

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Not necessarily, the world is governed by mechanical rules, like an instrument. You can ignore the rules but it would be incredibly painful, as nothing is good and nothing is wrong devoid of the mechanical fairy tale like rules governing any and all interaction.

Even realizing the presence of the rules, is almost like realizing you're with a corpse on strings and not with a lover, it can destroy the illusion of love.
Huh? I was referring to the pretentious linguistic treadmill. Coloured person -> person of colour. Cripple -> disabled person -> person with a disability -> differently abled person. All useless terms that don’t change the underlying meaning.

Aug 3, 2011
I don't even know how much, or what, Kool-aid you have to drink for this shit. Unacceptable either way.

Luckily, I can find no one defending her for the most part.

Last edited:

OSC

Banned
Jun 16, 2018
Huh? I was referring to the pretentious linguistic treadmill. Coloured person -> person of colour. Cripple -> disabled person -> person with a disability -> differently abled person. All useless terms that don’t change the underlying meaning.
they don't but an attempt to not hurt feelings and not offend can result in that, that kind of language is used around children so they can avoid the pain of truth. That not everyone has an equal chance, or will necessarily achieve victory.

Apr 25, 2009
Australia
they don't but an attempt to not hurt feelings and not offend can result in that, that kind of language is used around children so they can avoid the pain of truth. That not everyone has an equal chance, or will necessarily achieve victory.
It should be limited to children but it’s not. My wife is a health professional and she was taught this stuff at uni. It’s absolutely pointless and the politically correct term changes with every generation as they decide that the previous generation’s term is offensive and antiquated.

OSC

Banned
Jun 16, 2018
It should be limited to children but it’s not. My wife is a health professional and she was taught this stuff at uni. It’s absolutely pointless and the politically correct term changes with every generation as they decide that the previous generation’s term is offensive and antiquated.
True, I always say harsh truths might be kept from children to spare their feelings and let them enjoy childhood, but honestly adults too? That's when the world went off rails and slowed the pace of progress.

We should be on mars by now.

Apr 25, 2009
Australia
True, I always say harsh truths might be kept from children to spare their feelings and let them enjoy childhood, but honestly adults too? That's when the world went off rails and slowed the pace of progress.

We should be on mars by now.
I get where you’re coming from, but I think it’s best to tell kids harsh truths otherwise we run the risk of them turning into adults who think that forcing terms like “person of colour” and “person with a disability” is actually fixing anything.

OSC

Banned
Jun 16, 2018
I get where you’re coming from, but I think it’s best to tell kids harsh truths otherwise we run the risk of them turning into adults who think that forcing terms like “person of colour” and “person with a disability” is actually fixing anything.

Harsh sure, but well I meant harsher truths, that can drive some into despair, some of which are up for debate, like determinism no free will, death, no life after death, lack of safety(the world is unsafe, and anything can happen.).

Last edited:

OSC

Banned
Jun 16, 2018
Of course. Some truths like death need to be held back until the appropriate age. But that doesn’t necessitate lying to them in the interim.
It is difficult to hide without lies of omission or outright lies, perhaps say it but hidden in metaphors or similes?

Apr 25, 2009
Australia
It is difficult to hide without lies of omission or outright lies, perhaps say it but hidden in metaphors or similes?
Kids are smarter than we give them credit for. If you tell them it’s a mature concept and you’re not sure they’re ready for it, they will try really hard to show you they are.

OSC

Banned
Jun 16, 2018
Kids are smarter than we give them credit for. If you tell them it’s a mature concept and you’re not sure they’re ready for it, they will try really hard to show you they are.
Knowing you're as if made of glass can be quite unnerving all these movies with humans doing super feats strengthen the illusion of the idea of personal invincibility. Even adults say things like low probability to dismiss ever present threats, but the reality for some is it is high probability.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2014
“Person of Colour” has got to be one of the most irritating terms that has gained traction in recent years. I'm sure it used to be confined to the US, but now I hear and see it all the time on UK media platforms. It's really just another way of encouraging a them (white people) and us (anyone who isn't white) mentality.

Dec 3, 2013
“Person of Colour” has got to be one of the most irritating terms that has gained traction in recent years. I'm sure it used to be confined to the US, but now I hear and see it all the time on UK media platforms. It's really just another way of encouraging a them (white people) and us (anyone who isn't white) mentality.
It's so condescending, for everyone. The sooner people realize this, the easier they can wake up from the manipulation.

Aug 12, 2008
There is a great series of articles on becoming resilient and improve your hardiness on The Art of Manliness website. Stuff that was grandfathered in via the nuclear family and traditional values passed down from father to son. Something that now evokes claims of toxic masculinity on the sites name alone. It is sad that we live in an age where people are so soft that they equate words as violence, when that is an impossibility if you are a critical thinker and of sound mind.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/building-your-resiliency-part-1-an-introduction/