• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

when one game puts the rest to shame

• Thread starter Deleted member 801069
  • Start date

DustQueen

Banned
Red Dead Redemption 2 put every game ever released to shame bar one, Witcher 3.

And it will most likely stay that way until Rockstar releases next masterpiece.

Yeah. Cos that what we dreamed of - an open world that fails your mission cos u dared to ride your horse 3m aside from tight linear corridor game presents to u to get to your 1056s shootout. What a game.
Really, you should try Y0 as advised in this topic to see how far behind n dumbed down RDR2 open world design is. It is almost comical how much better Y0 Is as an plot driven open world game

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
No RPG since Daggerfall has ever impressed me enough to declare it the best ever.
No stealth game since Thief II: The Metal Age has been good enough to be the best in the genre (although Chaos Theory is my favorite).
Literally anything made by Looking Glass Studios has yet to be surpassed.

Playing Witcher 3 feels like watching some good, ass long adventure tv series when you get attached to the characters, the world and you just wanna know what's in the next episode (quest). No game managed to copy that feeling for me since 2016

11200958_10152937383664331_908980060420784167_o.jpg

Last edited:

Certinty

Red Dead Redemption 2 pretty much ruined gaming for me. Not that I haven't enjoyed games since but it set the bar far too high too early.

I mean, besides the bad gunplay, the graphics, open world, characters, story, voice acting, side missions, soundtrack and God knows what else are just simply leagues above anything else, even over two years on.

I honestly think I like the soundtrack alone on the game more than some of my other favourite games this gen. That should say enough.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I mean...We still haven't got a better RPG than Witcher 3 since it's release.

------------------------------

Though, this is always down to user preference. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for a story-heavy game, so i could give a shit if it's fantastic over a game with better gameplay. It really all just depends on the mood. I can say that some games will kill my enjoymeny of other games in the same genre. I just couldn't get into Horizon: Zero Dawn after having played Breath of the Wild before it. It literally killed that game for me as I was so annoyed at the shit I COULDN'T do in Horizon that I COULD in BotW.
It is down to preference, really. I found Witcher 3 to be stiff, tedious and boring. I didn't find it satisfying at all. We definitely had games better than Witcher 3 that, in my opinion, it did not surpass. I liked AC Odyssey more than I liked Witcher 3. I know I'm in the minority.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Video games live with one another probably shouldn’t shame. You could argue Yazkua had a chance to be the next GTA but it went exclusive, than spin-off, than weird, than obscure Yakuza after 0-3 had so many chances to be great but went those routes.

Fahdis

How was Ac Origins' story amazing? It was one of the worst things about that game. It's pacing was all over the place. It's like the game wanted to put you into the action from the very beginning without any explanation. I bet a lot of players didn't even know the first gameplay part was a year after Bayek kills the guy with the mask in the opening cutscene. The ending also had horrendous pacing it's like the game was about to end after the Assassin symbol was made from the bird skull, but nope here's another section with Layla with William. After that the game still hasn't ended because there's another section with Aya killing Caesar and goes back to Bayek forging the Assassins and that's when the game officially ends. The characters are also really bad. Bayek was the only good character in the whole game, while the others were so underwhelming. The son was nothing but a plot device, we never got to know anything more about him rather than he was the son of our main protagonist so we should feel bad. Aya was insufferable, the devs was trying portray as this really important character to the main character that we can control like Ciri in the Witcher 3, but completely falls flat because we never got the chance to engage with her character as Bayek and Aya never to talk to each other like human beings. Whenever they meet up they either have sex or talk about the plan to avenge their son. I get the devs were trying portray them like a broken marriage but it definitely didn't work because we never got to know more about Aya other than badass woman with broken past. Also I can't believe they tried to make us feel sad for death of the friend character that had such small amount of screen time at the very beginning of the game. Don't even get me started the villains, they may be the worst villains I ever seen in a video game. I could go on for much more talking how bad this story is but this post is getting too long.

> When he didn't see the real ending in The Hidden Ones DLC
> When he has an issue with contextual narrative because people can't understand how time works
> When he doesn't understand that Aya is bound to duty and not a central character like Bayek but wants to play her so bad
> Son was used as a plot narrative. Never played the DLC again and never did the Sky Missions to understand what their relationship was like.

I don't remember any Villians in the other games either besides Skull Face in MGSV since the ones in Ass Creed were given animal names. Neither did I feel for his friend. You seem to have suffered in the game because YOU didn't pace yourself. It's not the game's fault you wanted to get into areas that were level 55 vs. what you could have done in the areas already unlocked.

Fahdis

You make no sense, DOSS216 DOSS216 brought up the AI AND GAMEPLAY, yet you say his opinion is terrible as the STORY sucks?

LOL, do you read or do you seethe? And what is he? Your boyfriend? I mentioned Gameplay for all of them, in fact I gave a summary of everything. If you want to cry go ahead.

DOSS216

> When he didn't see the real ending in The Hidden Ones DLC
> When he has an issue with contextual narrative because people can't understand how time works
> When he doesn't understand that Aya is bound to duty and not a central character like Bayek but wants to play her so bad
> Son was used as a plot narrative. Never played the DLC again and never did the Sky Missions to understand what their relationship was like.

I don't remember any Villians in the other games either besides Skull Face in MGSV since the ones in Ass Creed were given animal names. Neither did I feel for his friend. You seem to have suffered in the game because YOU didn't pace yourself. It's not the game's fault you wanted to get into areas that were level 55 vs. what you could have done in the areas already unlocked.
First of I completed the whole game and the dlc, I did everything. The "real ending" of the DLC didn't change my mind at all about Aya. Second, How can it be a contextual narrative if we weren't given any CONTEXT to begin with. Third, I understood Aya's character and I'm saying she was poorly presented and written. Also even you do all those sky missions or whatever the son felt nothing but a prop in the revenge tale, he's not a real character but a plot device that gets shoehorned in moments to make us feel bad for Bayek and not for the son.

Finally, since when did I said having problems with the leveling system. I had no problems with the gameplay, I just said it wasn't up to par with the stealth in MGSV

Fahdis

You seem like the only one crying my friend.

Press X to doubt.

First of I completed the whole game and the dlc, I did everything. The "real ending" of the DLC didn't change my mind at all about Aya. Second, How can it be a contextual narrative if we weren't given any CONTEXT to begin with. Third, I understood Aya's character and I'm saying she was poorly presented and written. Also even you do all those sky missions or whatever the son felt nothing but a prop in the revenge tale, he's not a real character but a plot device that gets shoehorned in moments to make us feel bad for Bayek and not for the son.

Finally, since when did I said having problems with the leveling system. I had no problems with the gameplay, I just said it wasn't up to par with the stealth in MGSV

Then how come you didn't remember the real ending brah? Also, subjectively, my opinion to you is trash, which is ok and I respect that. If MGSV didn't do stealth right since it touts its self as an Espionage game, then what's the point? Also they used Keifer instead of Hayter, and that pissed me off.

From a gameplay perspective it is superior to the other 2. But what's the point of building an empty boring world that is unlived in? By far the Witcher's world is the most fantasy like and the characters the deepest but that gameplay
.. ugghhh. As far as Origins goes, its just the middle ground between the 2, but the most impressive atmoshphere and Bayek's likability with actual historical people.

Perrott

Gold Member
Yeah. Cos that what we dreamed of - an open world that fails your mission cos u dared to ride your horse 3m aside from tight linear corridor game presents to u to get to your 1056s shootout. What a game.
Really, you should try Y0 as advised in this topic to see how far behind n dumbed down RDR2 open world design is. It is almost comical how much better Y0 Is as an plot driven open world game
Then maybe don't be an idiot and just follow the damn mission instructions on screen that are telling you to NOT get out of the mission area/stop following X character/etc.

Also, don't compare a B-tier game like Yakuza 0 to a title with infinitely better open world design, production values, cinematography, tone, characters, story and dialogue such as RDR2. That's like comparing A Plague's Tale to The Last Of Us Part II.

DustQueen

Banned
Then maybe don't be an idiot and just follow the damn mission instructions on screen that are telling you to NOT get out of the mission area/stop following X character/etc.

Also, don't compare a B-tier game like Yakuza 0 to a title with infinitely better open world design, production values, cinematography, tone, characters, story and dialogue such as RDR2. That's like comparing A Plague's Tale to The Last Of Us Part II.

6YalDLF.gif

TwiztidElf

It’s caused me to experience something I haven’t really encountered in the past: you can end up playing a game so good that it makes every other game you’re playing seem lacking in comparison
Not so much related to quick resume, but Bayonetta 1 always leaves me feeling like that.

DOSS216

Press X to doubt.

Then how come you didn't remember the real ending brah? Also, subjectively, my opinion to you is trash, which is ok and I respect that. If MGSV didn't do stealth right since it touts its self as an Espionage game, then what's the point? Also they used Keifer instead of Hayter, and that pissed me off.

From a gameplay perspective it is superior to the other 2. But what's the point of building an empty boring world that is unlived in? By far the Witcher's world is the most fantasy like and the characters the deepest but that gameplay
.. ugghhh. As far as Origins goes, its just the middle ground between the 2, but the most impressive atmoshphere and Bayek's likability with actual historical people.

6UP8YGO.gif

Bryank75

Banned
pkXRFKh.jpg

MGSV puts all other stealth action games to shame. The AI, gameplay, detection, etc. truly felt next gen at the time. Playing AC Origins after I finished Witcher 3 and MGSV, I felt so bored and couldn't help but notice it took inspiration from both of those games, but did such a mediocre job of replicating the two.
Imagine MGSV gameplay but instead of a barren wasteland full of huts, you get actual built up towns and cities that feel as alive as MGS4. With factions fighting for control. Optional side-missions to save civilians that impact the story later on but none of that is explained up front (Just as life).

Hydro-dams, that one faction plans on destroying and flooding villages below in the floodplains and if you fail, the entire map changes.

Forest biomes with unique flora and fauna, similar to MGS3 but taken a step further and boss battles that come to those levels too....

We are really starving for a good stealth game.

With quick resume I’m playing multiple games at once for the first time due to the sheer convenience

It’s caused me to experience something I haven’t really encountered in the past: you can end up playing a game so good that it makes every other game you’re playing seem lacking in comparison

I’m playing Wasteland 3, Outer Worlds (just recently finished it), AC: Valhalla, Halo MCC, Sunset Overdrive and Yakuza 0

Playing all these games at once has really put into perspective how amazing Yakuza 0 is. I’ve been playing it pretty much all day and it’s prob the most engrossed in a game I’ve been in a long time. The story is so, so, so good it makes it hard to really enjoy Valhalla. Valhalla is beautiful, but it’s almost as if my playing Yakuza 0 amplifies how lacking the story in Valhalla is

Anyone else experiencing something similar with quick resume/next gen’s ability to juggle games?
You forgot to mention that ACV doesn't have UFO catcher, karaoke or ten pin bowling. Big oversight on Ubisoft's part.

Fahdis

Imagine MGSV gameplay but instead of a barren wasteland full of huts, you get actual built up towns and cities that feel as alive as MGS4. With factions fighting for control. Optional side-missions to save civilians that impact the story later on but none of that is explained up front (Just as life).

Hydro-dams, that one faction plans on destroying and flooding villages below in the floodplains and if you fail, the entire map changes.

Forest biomes with unique flora and fauna, similar to MGS3 but taken a step further and boss battles that come to those levels too....

Imagine if you actually got to play as Big Boss and had Act 5. Venom Snake BS was such a cop out. Lmao, I could take Ocelot acting like Liquid but fuck, that took it one level too far playing as a jacked up amnesia'd /spoiler Super Soldier Medic.

Fuck Kojima and Konami. Nice idea though. If D-Dog and Quiet weren't in the game. I wouldn't have even bothered after finishing.

Last edited:

borborygmus

Konami: Security! Get this man out of here immediately!

cryogenic7

Max Payne 3 in comparison of every tps released until now, after it nothing felt the same again, so superior in every aspect: AI, animation, physics, impact, controls...

BOTW in comparison to every open world, to me has been the only one that made fun moving between locations and explore it (together with GTA).
Max Payne 3 is fantastic. I was playing it last night on PC RTX 3080 4K 120fps. The game was released in 2012 and still holds up! It puts other games to shame.

Ryu Kaiba

With quick resume I’m playing multiple games at once for the first time due to the sheer convenience

I’m playing Wasteland 3, Outer Worlds (just recently finished it), AC: Valhalla, Halo MCC, Sunset Overdrive and Yakuza 0

Playing all these games at once has really put into perspective how amazing Yakuza 0 is. I’ve been playing it pretty much all day and it’s prob the most engrossed in a game I’ve been in a long time. The story is so, so, so good it makes it hard to really enjoy Valhalla. Valhalla is beautiful, but it’s almost as if my playing Yakuza 0 amplifies how lacking the story in Valhalla is

Anyone else experiencing something similar with quick resume/next gen’s ability to juggle games?
It's ass creed of course its boring. it's Ubisoft mainstream soulless factory produced bullshot. Yakuza has soul.

Last edited:

tassletine

Haven’t had the pleasure of playing Witcher 3 yet, waiting on the next gen patch

I hear I’m in for a treat
As long as you’re in it for the story
I disagree. I found YO to be very tight, great, but formulaic. If you want a GAME then it's better, but the storytelling in RD2 in on another level. YO didn't even try to be grounded.

Sorry (edit) It's early. For some reason I read Y0 as OW. My brain... Y0 is pretty great.

Last edited:

DustQueen

Banned
As long as you’re in it for the story

I disagree. I found YO to be very tight, great, but formulaic. If you want a GAME then it's better, but the storytelling in RD2 in on another level. YO didn't even try to be grounded.

Sorry (edit) It's early. For some reason I read Y0 as OW. My brain... Y0 is pretty great.

Storytelling is great when it is great till the end. And RDR2 is well written...for the first half...

But my gripe is that there is no Systemic gameplay at all and even as far as non systemic open world...Y0 is on another level as far as that goes

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
0 is my first Yakuza game, not sure whether to go on to Kiwami or Like a Dragon

Like a Dragon.

After 0, Kiwami will Be a disapointment for sure.

On the other hand, Like a Dragon could be a deception (if RPG mechanics doesn't click with you for instance) or a complete blast. (The most crazy yakuza, improved engine, Virtua Fighter 5, larger cities, it's the favorite episode in japan).

The most complicated part will Be to finish Yakuza 3 to 5 in a row(3 is one of the weakest, no dragon engine for all of them, less Arcade candies).
My advice ? Play Judgment between 3 and 4. It's one of the most balanced game: Great story, great graphics (better than Like a Dragon), great side quests, great Arcade games (Motor Raid !!!) Greatoooo :GTO:

Last edited:
Half-life 2 is yet to be beaten in FPS genre and physics in general.

BFBC2 is yet to be beaten for destruction.

Both of those games are two generations olds.

OutRun88

Everyone in here talking up Yakuza 0 likes it’s the GOAT. Too bad it isn’t on sale today (of all days).

LordOfChaos

It was hard to get excited about most other games after Bloodborne.

And I had a dreadful time going from its reactive controls to The Witcher 3's sluggish telephone line where you tell Geralt what to do and he gets around to it

Outer Worlds is a weird one. It’s exactly the sort of game I usually get lost in and absolutely love but it just didn’t do much for me. The story never hooked me and most all the characters were forgettable.

Yeah, I had the same strange reaction. I expected more, I guess, but the end result was... "okay, on to the game." It's not soulless, but it hasn't got as much depth as I was expecting.

Top Bottom