• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When someone calls you "boss" or "chief"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
dojokun said:
Maybe if they call you "Boss",
movie--shutter%20island.jpg

Spoiler that shit..

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
dojokun said:
Maybe if they call you "Boss", it means
they've been your primary care physician for the past two years and you don't even remember it.

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/[spoiler]movie--shutter%20island.jpg[/spoiler][IMG][/QUOTE]
Nice spoiler you got there :/

Hex

Banned
I have gotten into the habit lately where I catch myself saying "Thanks boss" or something to people where I would normally say thank you, or thanks brother or thanks bro or thanks mate.
No idea where it came from.
Usually a compliment, meaning someone did something well.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
dojokun said:
Alright, alright. It's edited. Didn't think people who haven't seen it by now cared enough.
Not all the movies come out worldwide at the same time, and not everyone interested in a movie gets to see them as soon as they do.

elseanio

I always call women 'love'.. most people do here. I've never ran into anyone who took offense to it yet... If it's a guy, I use 'mate' or sometimes 'kid' ... Also, I say 'boss' when describing something good.

I call people chief or boss, not meant to be condescending but just sort of a thanks friend type reply. I remember my friends and I picked it up from the jerky boys....

dojokun

Banned
JDSN said:
Hey Dojokun, I was heading to the movies to watch this tonite, so fuck you.
Damn, man. I didn't know it was still in theaters. I honestly thought it reached the "if they haven't seen it by now they probably won't ever see it or care if it's spoiled" stage.

Again, sorry everyone.

Arment

JDSN said:
Hey Dojokun, I was heading to the movies to watch this tonite, so fuck you.

God damnit. I hadn't seen it yet either. Spoiler tags are pretty common sense even for someone new like me.

Oh and I hate it when people call me boss and chief. Seems like they're trying to make me feel better about myself so I'm more accepting of what they have to say.

Fusebox

Banned
Boss and Chief and Champ are neither compliments nor insults, they're just flowery substitutes for 'mate' or 'pal'.

edgefusion

Living in London virtually every corner shop I go to the cashier says "Thanks boss" so I'm pretty much used to it. At first it made me feel funny inside but now I just ignore it.

Anemone

Neo Member
I think you mean 'Hoss.'

I've only ran into "boss" from a Japanese guy while playing FFXI a few years ago. I was upset for a moment and then realized he was being nice (I think.)

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
CrankyJay said:
:lol

How about "my main man?"

Sai%CC%88dTaghmaoui16.jpg
or how about "my friend?"

znn6sl.jpg

Sabotage

Ok, definitions from urban dictionary

Haus
1)A term given to a person who is amazing in all aspects of life.
2)to be really really riddiculously good at something
3)pretty much anyone who goes to John Burroughs School because they invented the term

Hoss
one who is a beast that can basically do anything he wants. He is usually loved by all and a ladies man. He could break anyone or anything in half. Hoss is a compliment.

Tek

A customer of mine will always call me boss...in fact he calls everyone boss.

and he has a curly mustache...

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
It's annoying, and I usually respond by saying "i'm not your boss, but if I was I'd fire you and fuck your wife after I beat your children to death." Ok so I only say that if I really dislike the person.
It's not as annoying as "bro" though. I'm not your fucking bro.

Replicant

I don't like it. Especially coming from people who don't know me that well. It's like "Why are you being all buddy-buddy when we don't even know each other that well?" Plus, I am not sure if the person is being insulting or complimenting but in the later case, I still don't feel comfortable since I don't know what makes me deserves being called "Boss".

Ditto with "Bro". *vomits* I'm not your brother so don't call me that.

I am glad that none of my close friends call me with any of those. And usually, the closer I am to someone, the more likely they'll call me with my first name. I remember smiling in surprise when a friend that I've known for 6 months now called me with my first name instead of "hey, man". To me "Hey, man" is the only thing that feels normal if I don't know the person that well.

Fusebox

Banned
missbreedsiddx said:
It's annoying, and I usually respond by saying "i'm not your boss, but if I was I'd fire you and fuck your wife after I beat your children to death." Ok so I only say that if I really dislike the person.

Annoying people >>>> fucking psychos.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
You guys are real sensitive about this shit. jesus.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
missbreedsiddx said:
It's not as annoying as "bro" though. I'm not your fucking bro.

...Christ. Manlaw would require I curbstomp you for some wannabe-Gary Busey shit like this.

It doesn't even sound good out loud, either.

Fusebox

Banned
A word as innocuous as 'boss' really needs intent to become an insult, unless you're some super-sensitive irrational special kid.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Where I come from, anytime you refer to someone as a boss, it's a high form of mad respect. You just start calling anybody a boss, you're a weak ass bitch and you need to step the fuck off.

BELIEVE.

Boss Man, signing out.

Wads

Banned
I call people Chief so much that I have even came up with variations of it. For example, I often call people "Chiefer Sutherland".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom