• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When virtue signalling goes wrong. Meet Marvel's new Captain America-inspired hero Ari Agbayani.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The character is created by a Filipino American woman, and named after a Filipino American friend named Arielle.. they aren't even named "Ari."

Only 1 of the 3 creators is even white.

You guys just love this culture war shit too much... every thread is either directly about it, or devolves into it.

I saw someone complaining about "woke shit" in a thread in Gaming about Forza Motorsports...

It's really just kind of annoying... can't you guys give it a rest and just talk about shit w/o all of this obsession?

nush

Gold Member
6OiR5Ag.png
tumblr_pcr7zd4Hpd1r8vhq9o8_r1_540.gifv

sol_bad

The character is created by a Filipino American woman, and named after a Filipino American friend named Arielle.. they aren't even named "Ari."

You guys just love this culture war shit too much... every thread is either directly about it, or devolves into it.

I saw someone complaining about "woke shit" in a thread in Gaming about Forza Motorsports...

It's really just kind of annoying... can't you guys give it a rest and just talk about shit w/o all of this obsession?

So the character creator is Filo and people are going on about woke this and woke that?

My wife is Filo and she thinks it would be weird if Ari was a native Filo character created by a native Filo creator. But since its a Fil-am character created by a Fil-am creator it's not so weird.

99Luffy

Banned
Ari doesnt mean genitals in filipino. It can in context the same way stones in english can mean someones balls. But you arent gonna laugh at someone named emma stone and say 'lol her last name means ballsack.'
Its a replacement word so you arent being vulgar. Like when people come up with cutsie words instead of saying dick and vagina outright.
That said it isnt really a great name. Ariele is a common enough filipino name but ari not so much.

Last edited:

pel1300

No. This deserves to be ridiculed and called out publicly. Both for the cringe concept and poor art quality.

The entertainment industry went to shit because shills kept defending garbage entertainment and basically worshipped corporations like Disney, Netflix, Marvel and HBO.

Last edited:

sol_bad

No. This deserves to be ridiculed and called out publicly. Both for the cringe concept and poor art quality.

The entertainment industry went to shit because shills kept defending garbage entertainment and basically worshipped corporations like Disney, Netflix, Marvel and HBO.

The entertainment industry has not gone to shit. Politics infests your brain so badly that it has been ruined for you personally.
Read the post above yours. My wife even said that the way you pronounce "ari" will determine it's exact meaning.

As for the art used for this new character, the art itself is perfectly fine and serviceable. Not every comic book is going to be a masterpiece. The stories tone is also going to mean a lot in regards to the art style. You wouldn't need Russell Dauterman on a light hearted book like She-Hulk or Squirrel Girl for example.

Lupingosei

Banned
The entertainment industry has not gone to shit. Politics infests your brain so badly that it has been ruined for you personally.
Read the post above yours. My wife even said that the way you pronounce "ari" will determine it's exact meaning.

As for the art used for this new character, the art itself is perfectly fine and serviceable. Not every comic book is going to be a masterpiece. The stories tone is also going to mean a lot in regards to the art style. You wouldn't need Russell Dauterman on a light hearted book like She-Hulk or Squirrel Girl for example.
Because of BS like this last year the Demon Slayer manga alone sold more than the whole US comic industry. While in Europe they still sell 150-300k for a single comic, the last Captain America run of Coates shipped 25+k in the end, which means less than 20k are sold. You know the guy who is going to do black Superman with JJ next.

They are doing so bad, that some of the morons actually promote to create comics not as a buisness anymore just as R&D for Netflix or Disney. In comic shops new comics are the least popular item now. While old comics still sell, comic stores still have tons of unsold comics from the last 4 years. The US comic industry has gone to shit during a pandemic, when everybody had to stay home and after the Marvel movies were the biggest thing on the planet. All while Manga sells more than ever before.

Last edited:

pel1300

I didn't say shit about politics. Are you projecting? Maybe you are the one who has politics in his brain all the time.

You are the very corporate shill I referred to. People like collider. Do you work for Disney? People like you enable shitty entertainment.

"The entertainment industry has not gone to shit" - only a Hollywood hack shill would say that.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
So the character creator is Filo and people are going on about woke this and woke that?

My wife is Filo and she thinks it would be weird if Ari was a native Filo character created by a native Filo creator. But since its a Fil-am character created by a Fil-am creator it's not so weird.
Yeah I clicked the first person in the main tweet this thread was about and scrolled down slightly:

sol_bad

Because of BS like this last year the Demon Slayer manga alone sold more than the whole US comic industry. While in Europe they still sell 150-300k for a single comic, the last Captain America run of Coates shipped 25+k in the end, which means less than 20k are sold. You know the guy who is going to do black Superman with JJ next.

They are doing so bad, that some of the morons actually promote to create comics not as a buisness anymore just as r&d for Netflix or Dsiney. In comic shops new comics are the least ppopular item now. While old comics still sell, comic stores still have tons of unsold comics from the last 4 years. The US comic industry has gone to shit during a pandemic, when everybody had to stay home and after the Marvel movies were the biggest thing on the planet. All while Manga sells more than ever before.

They are different markets mate. Manga is easier get into because there isn't 60-80 years worth of "baggage" to worry about. There are great comic stories from the 60s and 70s, there are also great comic stories from the 2010s. Anyone says that there aren't any recent great stories simply doesn't read comics and follows politics drama related Web sites and YouTube channels.
Manga gets "free" advertising from the anime version. The manga is generally from a single creative mind and like I said, generally doesn't have 60 years of history and 10 other side books for required reading. You look at DBZ, My Hero Academia, Demon Slayer or Hunter x Hunter and itsvery straight forward. Buy tankobon volume 1 and go chronologically. And I say the anime is free advertising because in many instances an anime season will end and fans will gravitate to the manga to see what happens next rather than waiting months or years to see the next part.

Comics on the other hand are very hard for many people to get into, as mentioned, due to their legacy, also due to pricing. They cost $5 for 20 pages of story, meanwhile a tankobon is about $10 for over 150 pages.
Comic sales are not declining but staying stagnant. Even my local comic shop says the same thing, people come and go from the hobby, sales generally stay consistent. It's an expensive hobby and costs accumulate over time. The collected market on the other hand is growing, at least with Marvel. The number of new omnibus releases, omnibus reprints, new Epic Collection releases and Epic Collection reprints is growing year on year. Omnibus and Epic collections are selling out within days to weeks for Marvel. Marvel are having to do reprints faster than they have ever needed to in the past.
An example is Wolverine, yes I know he is a popular character but Wolverine Omnibus volume 1 released over 10 years ago in 2009. There has never been any sign that a volume 2 would be made or released. Volume 1 finally got a reprint in April of 2020 and by November 2020, Wolverine omnibus volume 2 was announced. Not only that but Wolverine omnibus 1 has had 3 reprints over the past year with a 4th reprint incoming. Again, I know Wolverine is a popular character but I'm just showing how the collected market has grown exponentially over the past 10+ years.

Take Marvel and DC out of the equation and look at Image, Boom, Dark Horse and IDW. They are much more similar to manga in that a single creator or two work on the same story, they are still no where near as popular as manga. And some of the IPs they own are huge like Ninja Turtles, Transformers and Power Rangers, those 3 series are all positively received across the board but still don't sell huge numbers.
You just can't compare the two markets, they are vastly different.

I didn't say shit about politics. Are you projecting? Maybe you are the one who has politics in his brain all the time.

You are the very corporate shill I referred to. People like collider. Do you work for Disney? People like you enable shitty entertainment.

"The entertainment industry has not gone to shit" - only a Hollywood hack shill would say that.

I'm pretty positive I have seen you constantly bitch and moan about SJW this and SJW that but if you haven't I apologize for putting words in your mouth. Please explain why you think entertainment has turned to shit.

*EDIT*
No I am right, you do constantly bitch about SJW related stuff.

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
Given the autor's surname is wong i give this a pass.
The funny thing about her is, that she made a huge stink, that the new Marvel editor in chief used an Asian name, when he drew mangas about 15 years ago and called him a racist. To virtue signal, that they are not, they hired her and now she made a character which only makes sense as an American, but if you ask they natives they can only shake their heads.

It is fucked up on so many levels it is crazy. They hired her exactly for the reason, that something like this would not happen.

Lupingosei

Banned
Comics on the other hand are very hard for many people to get into, as mentioned, due to their legacy, also due to pricing. They cost $5 for 20 pages of story, meanwhile a tankobon is about $10 for over 150 pages.
Comic sales are not declining but staying stagnant.
No, they are not, they actually shrink, but because the doubled the price and use dollar sales, they argue it stayed stagnant. What they do, is selling less for a higher price. When it looked like the market was shrinking, they included the whole stuff independent creators are doing on indigogo and kickstarter as well.

A kickstarter from Keanu can easily outsell Marvel or DC without a problem. Manga is growing not shrinking or staying stagnant, because people want the product. The US comic market is now artificially kept alive by libraries and pull lists.

And the argument, that it is hard to get into. They relaunched Captain Marvel six times over the last 8 years, still people did not buy it or the new characters Twitter loves so much like Ironheart or Ms. Marvel. neither has sold, even after several relaunches.

Take Marvel and DC out of the equation and look at Image, Boom, Dark Horse and IDW. They are much more similar to manga in that a single creator or two work on the same story, they are still no where near as popular as manga. And some of the IPs they own are huge like Ninja Turtles, Transformers and Power Rangers, those 3 series are all positively received across the board but still don't sell huge numbers.
You just can't compare the two markets, they are vastly different.
Yes, one sells what people want, the other sells, what Twitter wants. If you listen to the insane people on Twitter, of course you tank your industry.

Last edited:

sol_bad

No, they are not, they actually shrink, but because the doubled the price and use dollar sales, they argue it stayed stagnant. What they do, is selling less for a higher price. When it looked like the market was shrinking, they included the whole stuff independent creators are doing on indigogo and kickstarter as well.

A kickstarter from Keanu can easily outsell Marvel or DC without a problem. Manga is growing not shrinking or staying stagnant, because people want the product. The US comic market is now artificially kept alive by libraries and pull lists.

And the argument, that it is hard to get into. They releaunched Captain Marvel six times over the last 8 years, still people did not buy it or the new characters Twitter loves so much like Ironheart or Ms. Marvel. neither has sold, even after several relaunches.

Yes, one sells what people want, the other sells, what Twitter wants. If you listen to the insane people on Twitter, of course you tank your industry.

WOW
There are literally hundreds of comics released every month and you choose the single anomaly as an example? BRZRKR #1 sold extremely well simply because Keanu's name was on the cover. It has nothing to do with the story content. It could have been an "SJW INFESTED" shit show and still sold 600,000 copies. It's second issue dropped down to 170,000 sales or so and #3 will probably be half that yet again.
Mentioning BRZRKR doesn't prove a single thing.

You are ignoring what I said.
Mangas primary industry is tankobon releases, IE collected editions. That's the same as the collected edition market for Marvel and DC. The collected edition market is growing, that is an undeniable fact.
If manga sold 20 page chapters for $5 each I doubt they'd sell that well either. Why pay $5 for 20 pages when you can pay $10 for 150+ pages.

And I have no idea what you mean by "what Twitter wants" when it comes to Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Power Rangers or any of the independent works from Image.

Why do they need to announce it Just put the character in the comic. Start drip feeding background. Intrigue people. Make people want to know more.

United States of Captain America is just a short 4 or 5 issue mini. Each issue contains a newly created "Captain America", new characters that have been inspired by Captain America's legacy.
Chances of ever seeing these characters again is probably very slim as I doubt it was part of the plan. Unless one of the characters resonates with the audience and becomes popular.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Why do they need to announce it Just put the character in the comic. Start drip feeding background. Intrigue people. Make people want to know more.
Need? They don't, and I would love to learn about it in such a way.

But...

Whether people like it, love it, are triggered by it -- they're talking about it...like we are. And that fire spreads a lot faster. It's all about the cha-ching.

Lupingosei

Banned
WOW
There are literally hundreds of comics released every month and you choose the single anomaly as an example? BRZRKR #1 sold extremely well simply because Keanu's name was on the cover. It has nothing to do with the story content. It could have been an "SJW INFESTED" shit show and still sold 600,000 copies. It's second issue dropped down to 170,000 sales or so and #3 will probably be half that yet again.
Mentioning BRZRKR doesn't prove a single thing.

You are ignoring what I said.
Mangas primary industry is tankobon releases, IE collected editions. That's the same as the collected edition market for Marvel and DC. The collected edition market is growing, that is an undeniable fact.
If manga sold 20 page chapters for $5 each I doubt they'd sell that well either. Why pay $5 for 20 pages when you can pay $10 for 150+ pages.

And I have no idea what you mean by "what Twitter wants" when it comes to Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Power Rangers or any of the independent works from Image.
What fact? Not a single collected edition can outsell a Manga in the US. And according to your logic why should people pay 30 dollars for 150+pages, when they also get 3 mangas for the same price. And if it is about the name only, why can EVS outsell also every collected edition by Marcel or DC.

And the so called "intependent creators" like IDW are sworn in to the Twitter audience as well, why do you think they lost millions over the last few years. Remember their GI Joe.

GIJOE_ONGO2016_05-cvrSUBA.jpg

Last edited:

sol_bad

What fact? Not a single collected edition can outsell a Manga in the US. And according to your logic why should people pay 30 dollars for 150+pages, when they also get 3 mangas for the same price. And if it is about the name only, why can EVS outsell also every collected edition by Marcel or DC.

And the so called "intependent creators" like IDW are sworn in to the Twitter audience as well, why do you think they lost millions over the last few years. Remember their GI Joe.

GIJOE_ONGO2016_05-cvrSUBA.jpg

What is EVS?
I'm not denying the fact that manga sells better than western comics. I explained multiple reasons why that fact is happening. Manga is easy to pick up, single creator, no tie-in stories, they don't have 60-80 years of legacy, "free" advertising from anime, they are cheap.
But you seem to be denying that Marvel's collected edition market is growing. You are also denying that they are not the same market, the two industries working in completely different ways in the west.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with that GI Joe cover, I haven't read GI Joe and don't have much interest in the comic. Since you have obviously read it please explain what is wrong.

*EDIT*
Two seconds later I learn it's a varient cover. The actual cover is....
aVba4nM.jpg

Last edited:

The fact that only Filipino-Americans can write Filipino-American characters is already a problem. Being American-Filipino does not automatically make her an interesting character.
Woke'ism is severely stifling creative output by segregating creators according to their identity instead of emphasizing their innovative strengths.

It's something that well known Marvel writer, Christopher Priest, acknowledged as well:

Even though he had become the best interpreter of race in the game, Priest saw something troubling happening to his career. “I stopped being a writer, or being thought of as a writer,” he tells me, “and started being thought of as a black writer.”
So, in order to make this new endeavor interesting for himself, he managed to persuade Quesada and Palmiotti to let him give a book called Black Panther a white protagonist.

It's a widespread misconception among the modern American entertainment industry that black people can write black characters well, or that only Asiancs can write Asian protagonists, etc... the result is a very noticeable decline in quality.

The entertainment industry has not gone to shit.

A single manga outsold the entirety of the American comic industry.
If that doesn't show you in what dire straits the comic industry is, then you're just being willfully ignorant.

Here in Europe comics used to be way bigger than manga. Nowadays mangas and BDs have completely taken over and comics have pretty much disappeared.
Nobody wants to read that stuff anymore.

I'm not denying the fact that manga sells better than western comics. I explained multiple reasons why that fact is happening. Manga is easy to pick up, single creator, no tie-in stories, they don't have 60-80 years of legacy, "free" advertising from anime, they are cheap.

None of these reasons explain why mangas have become so predominant over the past 10 years.
  • If anything, well-known legacy characters like Superman and Batman should be way easier to market than obscure new shonen IPs.
  • Mangas are really not any easier to pick up then comics and while they might be a bit cheaper, they are printed without color.
  • Many mangas also have a long history, with many of them dating back to the early 80s or late 70s.
  • Marvel movies are way bigger advertisement for comics than anime is for manga.

You're just living in denial.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Yeah I clicked the first person in the main tweet this thread was about and scrolled down slightly:

Comics are now catering to even smaller audiences by creating new superheroes who are defined by their ethnicity instead of their super powers... This ridiculous trend is only going to make comics less attractive for new readers.

sol_bad

The fact that only Filipino-Americans can write Filipino-American characters is already a problem. Being American-Filipino does not automatically make her an interesting character.
Woke'ism is severely stifling creative output by segregating creators according to their identity instead of emphasizing their innovative strengths.

It's something that well known Marvel writer, Christopher Priest, acknowledged as well:

It's a widespread misconception among the modern American entertainment industry that black people can write black characters well, or that only Asiancs can write Asian protagonists, etc... the result is a very noticeable decline in quality.

A single manga outsold the entirety of the American comic industry.
If that doesn't show you in what dire straits the comic industry is, then you're just being willfully ignorant.

Here in Europe comics used to be way bigger than manga. Nowadays mangas and BDs have completely taken over and comics have pretty much disappeared.
Nobody wants to read that stuff anymore.

None of these reasons explain why mangas have become so predominant over the past 10 years.
  • If anything, well-known legacy characters like Superman and Batman should be way easier to market than obscure new shonen IPs.
  • Mangas are really not any easier to pick up then comics and while they might be a bit cheaper, they are printed without color.
  • Many mangas also have a long history, with many of them dating back to the early 80s or late 70s.
  • Marvel movies are way bigger advertisement for comics than anime is for manga.

You're just living in denial.

How is manga not easier to pick up?
Compare Berserk to Spider-Man.

Berserk, start on tankobon 1 and read through to 40. A single creator.
Berserk has been around since 1988 but it's straight forward and doesn't cross over with 50 other books and/or characters.

Spider-Man, tell me how many different books and crossovers he has been in since 1962?
Amazing Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, Marvel Team Up, Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, Spider-Man Unlimited, Sensational Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man.
Too many crossovers to list.

How many writers and artists have been on his books?
Stan Lee, Roger Stern, Dan Slot, Straczynski, Gerry Conway, Joe Kelly, Mark Waid.
To name a few.

People like you like to try and push the narrative that comics are woke and thats why they fail and older comics are better. If that were the case, collected editions of older comics would sell heaps more than the newer comics. But thats not the case.

Comparing anime to the MCU is silly.
Generally the anime and the manga are the exact same thing except for the filler episodes. If you love the manga, you know what you are getting in the anime and vice versa. The manga usually has a more complete story. 95% of manga is a straight shoot from volume 1 to volume x.

If someone loves the MCU, they can't simply walk into a book shop and look for volume 1 and start reading. There might be 3 Avengers books that have a volume 1 or 4 Spider-man books with a volume 1. Then there are the various collected editions, graphic novels, trade paperbacks, hardcovers, oversized hardcovers, omnibu, absolute editions. What comes first? What comes next? Staff at a book store won't know these answers. Do you start from the 60s or 70s? Some people can't stand the writing style from those decades and give up straight away. They realize they have to do actual research on Google or find a community online to work out what to read. It's not simple and many people unfortunately can't be assed. Don't even get started on X-Men.

The longer western super hero comics go on for the harder they are to get into.
And just because a book has Superman's or Spider-Man's name on it doesn't mean it will automatically sell gangbusters. Just look a Batman v Superman.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I rarely read anything modern outside of Boom's Buffy run these days.

This character seems fine, even if they goofed up on the name. A lot of hubbub is sensationalist nonsense used to rile up the anti-SJW crowd, most of which don't even bother reading comics to begin with. Still, a funny bungle is a funny bungle nonetheless.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Looks like shit. They try to pander and look where it gets them. No wonder nobody is buying comics anymore. Do you know what people are buying? Manga. Did snowflake and safe space ever take off?

Berserk has been around since 1988 but it's straight forward and doesn't cross over with 50 other books and/or characters.

How much more well-known is Spider-Man compared to Guts?
Also the number of writers and creators has no influence on audience accessibility. Most people do not care about the creators behind it.

What does it matter if a book has been written by person X or Y? Absolutely nobody is reading Demon Slayer because of Koyoharu Gotouge. For most readers, it doesn't matter as long as the product is compelling.

Also it is just as easy to start with any Spider-Man comic

Spider-Man, tell me how many different books and crossovers he has been in since 1962?
Amazing Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, Marvel Team Up, Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, Spider-Man Unlimited, Sensational Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man, Superior Spider-Man.
Too many crossovers to list.

Another reason why comics suck, nowadays but it should be easy enough to get hold of any number one issue at your local comic store or digitally. Also for most comics you usually can just start anywhere as most issues are pretty much self-contained stories. When I used to collect comics, I just jumped right into JLA or Lobo or whatever and when the comic piqued my interest I would backorder the other issues. It's really not difficult at all to get hold of a comic collection.

Comics are really not hard to get into if you're interested. You are exaggerating to explain away the fact that the American comics industry is on a steady decline.

Comparing anime to the MCU is silly.
Generally the anime and the manga are the exact same thing except for the filler episodes. If you love the manga, you know what you are getting in the anime and vice versa. The manga usually has a more complete story. 95% of manga is a straight shoot from volume 1 to volume x.

Comparing the popularity of manga to the popularity of comics is absolutely valid. Nothing of what you said explains why manga have slowly but steadily displaced comics not only here in Europe but also on their frikkin' home turf. The format of the medium doesn't matter, is the content is compelling audience will flock to it.

Compare new super-heroes to new manga characters and it is easy to see that recent comic-book inventions are just utter crap. Let's compare:

demon_slayer_kimetsu_no_yaiba_netflix.jpg
or
capture-1.jpg

It's not even a contest!

You'd think the billion dollar Marvel blockbusters would attract a fresh audience to comic books, but the simple reason it is not happening is because comics and new heroes such as the one presented in this thread are just not appealing anymore. Here in Europe, comics were way more available than mangas and even despite that advantage, they still can't keep an audience.

The issues you are alluding to are superficial at best. That's like me saying nobody is reading manga because they have a different reading direction.

If something appeals to you, it's really not that hard to get into, doesn't matter if it video-games, comics/manga or movies. You have to ask why there is so little interest generated by comics nowadays, while a Japanese medium that gets printed in frikkin' black & white and that you have to read from right to left is booming!

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

........snip snip snip

The longer western super hero comics go on for the harder they are to get into.
And just because a book has Superman's or Spider-Man's name on it doesn't mean it will automatically sell gangbusters. Just look a Batman v Superman.
This makes no sense. For Berserk I MUST start way back at #1 because I have no idea about anything in that comic. But Spiderman? X-men? Batman? DOZENS of films, HUNDREDS of TV shows. All I need is to start at the beginning of a plot arc or even just a random issue for almost any western comic character from DC or Marvel.

You are very wrong about the accessibility of comics versus Manga. But I think that dc/marvel could very much benefit from shitcanning 95% of their output and focus on 2-3 books a month each. Short runs per character, heavily story focused without the endless cycling of plots, characters, and endless reboots. Batman is batman, supes is supes, if you don't have a good story to tell about one of them then don't publish it. New heroes should evolve out of the story, not be forged by committee and vetted by social media to hit all 4 quadrants.

sol_bad

Also the number of writers and creators has no influence on audience accessibility. Most people do not care about the creators behind it.

What does it matter if a book has been written by person X or Y? Absolutely nobody is reading Demon Slayer because of Koyoharu Gotouge. For most readers, it doesn't matter as long as the product is compelling.

Another reason why comics suck, nowadays but it should be easy enough to get hold of any number one issue at your local comic store or digitally. Also for most comics you usually can just start anywhere as most issues are pretty much self-contained stories. When I used to collect comics, I just jumped right into JLA or Lobo or whatever and when the comic piqued my interest I would backorder the other issues. It's really not difficult at all to get hold of a comic collection.

Comics are really not hard to get into if you're interested. You are exaggerating to explain away the fact that the American comics industry is on a steady decline.

Comparing the popularity of manga to the popularity of comics is absolutely valid. Nothing of what you said explains why manga have slowly but steadily displaced comics not only here in Europe but also on their frikkin' home turf. The format of the medium doesn't matter, is the content is compelling audience will flock to it.

Compare new super-heroes to new manga characters and it is easy to see that recent comic-book inventions are just utter crap. Let's compare:

or
capture-1.jpg

It's not even a contest!

You'd think the billion dollar Marvel blockbusters would attract a fresh audience to comic books, but the simple reason it is not happening is because comics and new heroes such as the one presented in this thread are just not appealing anymore. Here in Europe, comics were way more available than mangas and even despite that advantage, they still can't keep an audience.

The issues you are alluding to are superficial at best. That's like me saying nobody is reading manga because they have a different reading direction.

If something appeals to you, it's really not that hard to get into, doesn't matter if it video-games, comics/manga or movies. You have to ask why there is so little interest generated by comics nowadays, while a Japanese medium that gets printed in frikkin' black & white and that you have to read from right to left is booming!

That bottom image. New Warriors.
It hasn't released and was essentially cancelled mate.

You don't have to explain to me that it's not hard to get into comics. I randomly jumped in in 2004 and 2011 after a 3 year hiatus. Currently switching between the 1970s and 2010s at the moment.
The way I purchase comics has also changed over the last 10 years. I don't buy floppies anymore but still love the shit out of comics. Many comic lovers eventually abandon floppies and move to collected editions.

So I know it's easy to jump in and start anywhere. But a 60 year legacy is very intimidating for many people.

We have differing opinions, that's all. I love Marvel, DC, Image and IDW. I also love manga. They are different markets and are not competing. Western comics market is changing, it is growing but not in the single issue Department.

LRKD

I don't think there is much wrong with this character at a glance, just another lazy Marvel character where instead of trying to create something new or interesting they just take a premade character and slap a different flavor on it. The name having multiple meanings is mildly funny, just like any name like Willie, Lou, Gaylord, Seaman, Dick, Harry... Those are all real English names, so Plenty of English speakers give there kids shit names. So I could certainly believe it being something a Pilipino American kid might be named.

She'll probably just be another terrible comic book character like the million of others Marvel has been shitting out. I fucking hate ( most modern) Comics, and even I think this is being overblown though, there is so much wrong with comics, and you people choose this to point and laugh at?

Also, in Voice Acting there was a big stink about where if your race, and the character race don't match, you shouldn't voice that character. It seems it has been a problem in writing for even longer. To suggest you have to be Pilipino to write a Pilipino character, absurd. So tired of this SJW bullshit it's doing more harm then good. Yes it's great to have diversity in voice acting and in writers, but not if you are actively limiting what they can do. If it continues like this all black voice actors are only going to be playing token black characters, we will never see something like Phil LaMarr voice Jack again. Same thing for writing, Seems often times because of a writers ethnic background they get pigeon holed into writing characters that only reflect their race. Or at least reading an interview with Christopher Priest that seems to be the case, he says he was for years only called in to write for black character comics.

Oh sorry you are white, you can't write for black panther. Oh sorry you are black, you can't write for Aqua Man. Sorry you're Asian, you can't write Batman. Sorry you're black, you can't voice Kratos. It's a shit way to go, limits creativity and makes the world a awfully boring place. "persons of color should play characters of color." ~Cleveland Browns former VA, A very dangerous thing to say. I wouldn't want what I can do as a voice actor to be limited purely on the color of my skin. You should be hired because of your voice ability, not because of your skin color. To hire someone only because of the color of their skin... Isn't that a little bit... *gasp* racist?

99Luffy

Banned

or
capture-1.jpg

It's not even a contest!

You can replace the right image with this. And comics still wouldnt be able to hold back the popularity of mangas.
DluzJAq.png

Western comics just never had the appeal of mangas. For one the average shonen story line is very relatable, its like the rocky training montage stretched out to an entire season. Harry Potter is basically a shonen, and of course its really popular.
And two your average western comic is a wall of text compared to mangas. This archie page probably has more words than your average One piece issue.
ZARPs7b.png

Last edited:

down 2 orth

It's no surprise that woke types are culturally illiterate, the ideology is intended to destroy traditional culture around the world.

Western comics just never had the appeal of mangas. For one the average shonen story line is very relatable, its like the rocky training montage stretched out to an entire season. Harry Potter is basically a shonen, and of course its really popular.
And two your average western comic is a wall of text compared to mangas. This archie page probably has more words than your average One piece issue.

Shonen is not the entirety of manga, also if you complain about word count in comics, you've clearly not read Death Note or GTO:

9782845991477_pg.jpg
DN_ch32_01.jpg

My wife is Filo and says the name is fine as long as it's pronounced correctly...

The people who are making fun about this are absolutely not offended by the name.
They ridicule the woke identitarians for creating such a blunder when their own output is usually based upon hyper-sensitive social media outrage.

This backlash is the inevitable result of a pedantic media culture driven by the virtue-signaling fanatics who seek to find the smallest blemish in order to punish it without much pity.
You don't get to ask for leniency, if you're actively contributing to that negative culture climate.

KielCasto

That was mildly funny. Honestly, I first read it as “Air”-i, so I didn’t get it.

Now that I think about it, it’s not that ridiculous. I mean, a baby was named Covid by Filipino parents. Maybe we’re not that talented in thinking up names. /jk

Not so thrilled with this new Marvel character. Kinda looks crap to be honest and feels forced. Just sharing my initial thoughts as a native Filipino, lol 😁

I wonder what Marvel is trying to do here?

Top Bottom