• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will female video game characters go back to resembling females?

LordKasual

Banned
I wonder what the average age of the users here is based on the responses.

People who drone on about the "women in games arent women anymore" thing i'd guess are mid/late 20s to mid 30s.

They are the evolved form of the swathes of little boys who went apeshit over Anita Sarkeesein all those years ago and just never let it go

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

People who drone on about the "women in games arent women anymore" thing i'd guess are mid/late 20s to mid 30s.

They are the evolved form of the swathes of little boys who went apeshit over Anita Sarkeesein all those years ago and just never let it go
Yes.
That's me.

Last edited:

SebastianM

Who the fuck cares, its a videogame, if your source for pretty women comes from rendered pixels on a screen and not actual females in real life then you need to get help.

SebastianM

This thread plants a flag firmly in right wing political ideology and then claims anything to the left of it, even a center position of "who the fuck cares" is an sjw position. Like most of us just literally don't care about fapping to video games and cartoons. The fact that you people who are posting this shit don't think this is pushing your own political agenda is hilarious if not a little sad.

It's basically "Anybody who doesn't agree with me is reeeee..." the thread ....

I know right, its like you dont even get a chance to discuss games with normal people on the internet anymore, its either the pink haired muh representation retards, or the far right i-fap-to-cartoons potential school shooter crowd. what the fuck.

Tomeru

Gamers sees woman with no makeup. Shudders.

I know right, its like you dont even get a chance to discuss games with normal people on the internet anymore, its either the pink haired muh representation retards, or the far right i-fap-to-cartoons potential school shooter crowd. what the fuck.

The existance of middle ground in gamer discussions is as rare as getting a pen enchant in bdo.

Once in a lifetime.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Who the fuck cares, its a videogame, if your source for pretty women comes from rendered pixels on a screen and not actual females in real life then you need to get help.

tenor.gif

Akira1983

Banned
This topic combined with the responses of Aloy are hilarious

any person that would complain about Aloy not being attractive enough I GAURANTEE are hideous and couldn’t land a woman that looks even in the ballpark of Aloy

fact

goes to show expectations vs reality

lock2k

Banned
This topic combined with the responses of Aloy are hilarious

any person that would complain about Aloy not being attractive enough I GAURANTEE are hideous and couldn’t land a woman that looks even in the ballpark of Aloy

fact

goes to show expectations vs reality

Many people on GAF actually look good. Check out the pictures thread.

goldenpp72

Didn't realize finding tits, ass, and a pretty face appealing was so wrong.

Not as though this has been a selling point in mainstream media (TV, movies, comics, etc.) and advertising ever.:rolleyes:

It's not so much wrong as it is pathetic to be demanding it from a medium where the characters aren't even real. Like the idea someone is being bothered because they aren't getting a boner from their new game is very teenager. I don't personally mind if they look sexy or look plain, it all depends on if it works with what the designers want to do. Yeah don't turn all the DOA ladies ugly because Era is offended, but don't feel the need to make the chick from Horizon look like them to turn on some weirdos either if you don't want to. This place is often times like reverse Era, everything has to be this way or you're offended.

MiguelItUp

It's weird, for awhile I couldn't help but feel like a number of devs in NA lack the whole "what a woman looks like" gene, lol. I mean, Japanese developers seem to really nail a lot of facial features that NA devs, or even devs from other countries apparently can't pull off. But I dunno...

I know for awhile people were saying Jill in the Resident Evil 3 Remake looked like a man, and I honestly didn't see that at all. I think some people said that about Claire in the Resident Evil 2 Remake as well. Same with the new Lara Croft in the past few games. I honestly thought those all looked great.

Netherrealm is a horrible example though. I don't know what it is about them, but their female characters look awful. They got a little bit better in 11, but some of them have this weird resting stinkface that looks horribly out of place. Not to mention very boxy heads and facial features. A lot of the time it makes them look like they're trans or a man in drag.

Doom85

Netherrealm is a horrible example though. I don't know what it is about them, but their female characters look awful. They got a little bit better in 11, but some of them have this weird resting stinkface that looks horribly out of place. Not to mention very boxy heads and facial features. A lot of the time it makes them look like they're trans or a man in drag.

I haven't played the last two MK games, but Injustice 2's female faces were far better in comparison to 1's female faces except for Wonder Woman which still looks pretty off to me. Not saying there's not room for improvement, but definitely a step up from 1. I don't think Injustice 1's weird-looking female faces was intentional or anything, just bad design.

I also agree about new Jill. Thought she looked fairly cute on the reveal (looks like she could be Natalie Portman's sister), and the game proper made her even more attractive to me. New Claire doesn't look like a man to me, I'm not personally into her new look but it's definitely a girl.

kiphalfton

It's not so much wrong as it is pathetic to be demanding it from a medium where the characters aren't even real. Like the idea someone is being bothered because they aren't getting a boner from their new game is very teenager. I don't personally mind if they look sexy or look plain, it all depends on if it works with what the designers want to do. Yeah don't turn all the DOA ladies ugly because Era is offended, but don't feel the need to make the chick from Horizon look like them to turn on some weirdos either if you don't want to. This place is often times like reverse Era, everything has to be this way or you're offended.

Okay.

Since you and everybody who has replied with some sort of shaming tactic or personal insult is using body as the basis of your argument, let's focus only on the character's faces for a second. Same story. The characters look awful whether you're talking about their face or their body.

MiguelItUp

I haven't played the last two MK games, but Injustice 2's female faces were far better in comparison to 1's female faces except for Wonder Woman which still looks pretty off to me. Not saying there's not room for improvement, but definitely a step up from 1. I don't think Injustice 1's weird-looking female faces was intentional or anything, just bad design.

I also agree about new Jill. Thought she looked fairly cute on the reveal (looks like she could be Natalie Portman's sister), and the game proper made her even more attractive to me. New Claire doesn't look like a man to me, I'm not personally into her new look but it's definitely a girl.
Wholeheartedly agree. It's just really weird because their female characters just looked really... masculine, which is strange. But they are improving for sure.

Right? I just felt like they looked more like belivable women, but so many people said they looked manly. I was pretty confused, lmao.

The Alien

Banned
When will you get female characters resembling females in video games?

NEVER!!! The patriarchy is over.

You betas cant handle sweet breasts and tight asses in video games. Your characters will now only resemble body positive females that eat healthy portions of cheetos and/or juiced up aggro man haters who want to cock-punch you into celibacy.

Dont like it? Too bad, you're just a misogynistic man-baby and I dont want you buying my video game.

Riven326

Banned
Let's be real. Game developers aren't exactly the type who enjoy confrontation. Except Dave Jaffe. Anyway... most of them would rather conform than confront this feminist bullshit head on.

goldenpp72

Okay.

Since you and everybody who has replied with some sort of shaming tactic or personal insult is using body as the basis of your argument, let's focus only on the character's faces for a second. Same story. The characters look awful whether you're talking about their face or their body.

Lots of male characters look ugly, lots of them look great, same for women. If you've ever been outside you'd notice that trend as well. Yeah a lot of games have average looking girls within them, but then you have a game like FF7 that just came out where they are gorgeous. Doom guy in Doom isn't exactly the hottest looking dude from what we can see of his face, is that a problem?

People of all sorts want to convey something, Jill in RE3 is very pretty but because you can't see her panties and have her boobs hanging out it becomes a problem for some. It's such a ridiculous thing to take issue with and makes me glad I don't fixate on such trivial shit. I also find the TV comparison hilarious when tons of women in film and TV look hideous deliberately, yet many still look like super models. Let creators do what they want.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think Aloy is the best female protagonist. Lara Croft is quite distracting with her butt physics that makes me unaware of fatal traps.:messenger_astonished:

Kikorin

Nothing wrong in good looking female protagonists or sexy ones, but I think is nothing wrong in average looking female too.

As an example I really like Jesse in Control, she seems like a normal good looking woman (sure not ugly) and fit well in the game world.

kiphalfton

Lots of male characters look ugly, lots of them look great, same for women. If you've ever been outside you'd notice that trend as well. Yeah a lot of games have average looking girls within them, but then you have a game like FF7 that just came out where they are gorgeous. Doom guy in Doom isn't exactly the hottest looking dude from what we can see of his face, is that a problem?

People of all sorts want to convey something, Jill in RE3 is very pretty but because you can't see her panties and have her boobs hanging out it becomes a problem for some. It's such a ridiculous thing to take issue with and makes me glad I don't fixate on such trivial shit. I also find the TV comparison hilarious when tons of women in film and TV look hideous deliberately, yet many still look like super models. Let creators do what they want.

Jack Thompson is that you? I mean seriously you keep using these extreme examples to try and make a prove your case and make a point, in this case using female character models akin to DOA as the basis of your argument. You didn't even address what I said in my previous post, and instead defaulted to talking about tits and ass hanging out and using shaming tactics.

Not sure why I'm surprised since this seems to be the go-to response you and everybody else who got all hot and bothered about this topic is using. I don't expect everybody to agree with me, but it's pretty lame when you guys default to personal insults or condescending remarks, which I assume you resort to since you probably can't think of anything else to say.

Last edited:

sevoro

I wish the OP could clarify his opening statement with more than just a couple of sentences/statements, cause at this point it seems to have been made to trigger people. Like why is this a devolution? Are there others who think like you? What if everyone prefers the way females in Western games look now?

However, if you want my opinion, the change won't happen until you become the majority. Lots of gamers (from my experience) don't actually care about how females look in their games, if anyone here does care you have a lot in common with the ERA crowd, insofar that you want games to appeal to your aesthetics. If you really want "hot" females in your games, you can look for them in other places. Until there is data that clearly states people want hot females in their games then you ain't gonna get anything.

As for the condescending remarks towards the OP I gather that's because the opening statement itself seems to sound condescending towards gaming's current trend. Keyword is "seems".

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The key issue for most people here is why all Western developers stopped making "sexy designs"all together? There is nothing wrong for not having sexy design, In my last post I even showed examples of how Japanese developers makes both sexy designs and none sexy designs in their games.

Last edited:

sevoro

The key issue for most people here is why all Western developers stopped making "sexy designs"all together? There is nothing wrong for not having sexy design, In my last post I even showed examples of how Japanese developers makes both sexy designs and none sexy designs in their games.
Where's Morag?

Top Bottom