• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When you realize Fallout 76 has been more successful than Division, Anthem and Borderlands 3

VertigoOA

Banned
In short...

The most important metric aside from revenue streams is playerbase size and player retention for an online game.

Its not front loaded sales. Borderlands 3 had a nice debut, as did Anthem, as did Division 2. Fallout 76 did not.

Yet... Fallout has more players than all those games.

Bethesda pulled it off. Good work.

I enjoy the game from time to time. Wastelanders was a nice update to return for a bit... and the Brotherhood of Steel update is rumored to be wastelanders’ size for this coming winter or spring 2021.

cormack12

Gold Member
Really? More than Division 2? That surprises me, I now they had a tail off and the debacle with Loot 2.0 but I thoght the new raid had brought people back.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Well Anthem is dead lol so duh and Borderlands is mostly a story experience not something you are going to keep playing a lot like Destiny 2 or Fallout 76 since these two also have a competitive component. As for better than Division 2, I want some proof to that claim else your topic is pointless. Well it kinda is since you're comparing different genres for no reason. Fallout 76 is not like the others.

Last edited:

Hudo

That's pretty embarassing to Division, Anthem and Borderlands, lol.

I am pretty astonished that it's more popular than Division. Common concensus seemed to be that Division is basically one of the best looter-shooters out there. (I don't play those games so I don't know. I've tried Destiny 1 and 2 and was left severely disappointed so I decided those types of games aren't for me).

Well, good for Bethesda, I guess? But probably bad for us? Because they might see it as a confirmation of sorts that they should do online shit in every Bethesda game from now on...

Last edited:
i mean borderlands 3 has an end point so i don't think that can be put along these games as one looking for player retention

Oh wait, we're comparing current player counts rather than total sales? Well then, yeah. Borderlands can be played for weeks if not months, but plenty of people just want to play the main campaign and that's it. Same with The Division 2. And while the same could be true for Fallout, even single player Fallout games have way more content than you'd find in Borderlands or The Division.

Grinchy

Banned
Borderlands 3 might actually be worse than Fallout 76.

I put more time into B3, but damn does it not excel in a single category.

nikolino840

Is there a receipt for what you’re saying? If this is true then that just shows you Fallouts fanbase. They don’t mind hot garbage
There's a huge fan base of fallout 76,at least on socials,sharing pics videos (tattoos) and even podcasts

Virex

Banned
In short...

The most important metric aside from revenue streams is playerbase size and player retention for an online game.

Its not front loaded sales. Borderlands 3 had a nice debut, as did Anthem, as did Division 2. Fallout 76 did not.

Yet... Fallout has more players than all those games.

Bethesda pulled it off. Good work.

I enjoy the game from time to time. Wastelanders was a nice update to return for a bit... and the Brotherhood of Steel update is rumored to be wastelanders’ size for this coming winter or spring 2021.
You got some of those statistics and numbers to share? Financial numbers etc.

Last edited:

FranXico

Is there a receipt for what you’re saying? If this is true then that just shows you Fallouts fanbase. They don’t mind hot garbage
I mean, people are kind of used to that good old Bethesda jank, especially in Elder Scrolls games.

Denton

I enjoyed 76 (played only after Wastelanders). It is not an RPG, but as exploration based shooter, it is fun. I did all the main and side quests I found, some 150 hours, and when there is more story content I will likely be back.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I enjoyed 76 (played only after Wastelanders). It is not an RPG, but as exploration based shooter, it is fun. I did all the main and side quests I found, some 150 hours, and when there is more story content I will likely be back.
Is it like F4? Wastelanders I mean...

hemo memo

Gold Member
Both critics and fans on Metacritic overwhelmingly agrees (which is very rare) that Fallout 76 is shit. Fallout 76 is a proof that marketing works on anything including this bile of shit. Hopefully now people learn the lesson to not jump in blindly next time.

Mista

Banned
I mean, people are kind of used to that good old Bethesda jank, especially in Elder Scrolls games.
Thats exactly what I mean. Bethesda were always jank yet their games has a massive fanbase. So I’m sure they don’t mind extra jank

Starfield

Did it though? I played on launch for 2 hours and never went back.
It did.

While I still consider it to be not of my taste I can understand why so many people like it now or continue playing it.

The lack of singeplayer only mode and microtransactions (albeit not forced but they exist) are what is keeping me off of playing the new content. Heard its really good though, mainly the Wastelanders storyline. It is something about finding a huge hidden stash of gold bars which will then be a new currency online or something

VertigoOA

Banned
Wastelanders is a bit overrated but it’s good content. Not really content to bring in single player rpg players necessarily.

Birdo

Banned
Borderlands 3 came and went so quickly. Here one week. Forgotten forever the next.

It was like the Horizon Zero Dawn of 2019.

VertigoOA

Banned
FO76 is successful. How do I know? zenimax keeps dumping money into its development, just like they do with ESO.

Yeah, next fallout single player will Be 10 years plus.

Could be but 76 is its own studio. If it didn’t exist you still would’ve waited till after Starfield and Elder Scrolls.

Starfield

idk, i have a hard time believing the wait between skyrim and vi would be 10+ years without ESO, just like I think Gtavi wouldn't have taken 10+ years without gtaonline. But you might be right.
ESO and Fallout 76 exists bc these single player games take a long time to produce. Eso is by another studio while 76 is being handled by BGS Austin.

They have Maryland, Dallas and Montreal working on Starfield (and presumably TES Vl in pre-production). Some of Austin's devs work probably on Starfield too.

Even then it's still going to take long to develop a game. Especially a completely new IP where no lore or story has been established, let alone old assets you could possibly re-use.

anthraticus

Banned
I don't think the ppl playing these kinds of games have the highest standards exactly.

They just want to run around with their friends or whatever and use it as more of a 'social' type thing.

Last edited:
Just check charts. Division 2 has been a failure. It’s even dropped out of the charts for a short time as well.

the bigger story is why division 2 is failing as badly as it has. I blame Ghost recon Breakpoint and Ubisoft itself for making both games pretty much the same shit
I bought Division 2 at launch and since then I probably hop in every couple months to check out some new stuff.

From what I've heard the community isn't big on the end game and a lot of people don't like the changes made to the dark zone. For me it's a great game because I've probably only put 100 or so hours in so it still feels fresh

Too me it's just seem like GaaS players have a high tolerance to low quality games. If I play a game and it sucks I'm out.

Many GaaS fans' view on what they are willing to put up with to be sad and masochistic. (not all of them but a lot)

They are like a Gaming corporation wet dream of a fanbase. They have the attention span of a goldfish and they spend money on cosmetic bullshit.

"Games is great since the last patch! Did you see what the skin shop has now!?! Forget about the past and how they doxxed you on their customer service site or the fact they sold you a fraudalant collector's edition!"

Last edited:

Hargate

Just check charts. Division 2 has been a failure. It’s even dropped out of the charts for a short time as well.

the bigger story is why division 2 is failing as badly as it has. I blame Ghost recon Breakpoint and Ubisoft itself for making both games pretty much the same shit

As someone who play division for a few hundred hours and since abadoned it. The devs can't get the balance right. They keep making the same mistakes from the first game. They pretend they are sorry for awhile and listening to feedback then they do nothing.

Freeman

Banned
Many GaaS fans' view on what they are willing to put up with to be sad and masochistic. (not all of them but a lot)

They are like a Gaming corporation wet dream of a fanbase. They have the attention span of a goldfish and they spend money on cosmetic bullshit.

"Games is great since the last patch! Did you see what the skin shop has now!?! Forget about the past and how they doxxed you on their customer service site or the fact they sold you a fraudalant collector's edition!"
To this day I never bought a single cosmetic or paid for a mtx. It's like they are making these games specifically for me not to like them.

To me even cosmetics tend to ruin the game since it ruins immersion and tends to be completely over the top running the game aesthetics. I really don't get the appeal at all. Why would I feel better showing of to people that I paid for an in-game item?

Lets say a GaaS hits a point where it actually is good, they'll likely ruin it in no time again.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Well, good for Bethesda, I guess? But probably bad for us? Because they might see it as a confirmation of sorts that they should do online shit in every Bethesda game from now on...

Like Elder Scrolls Online (i.e. Morrowind, Summerset, Elsweyr, Greymoor).

No wonder we haven't got any other single-player games, cuz they probably see how much money they can make with these games.

As somebody who hates multiplayer games, this upsets me.

PresetError

Neophyte

Microsoft Store data? Really?

I just did a quick research on Steamcharts and Gamstat...

Borderlands 3 on Steam: 8.637 average players the last 30 days - Peak of 17,781 players the last 30 days.
Borderlands 3 on PS4: 4.6 million total players (+110.000 new players the last 30 days)

Fallout 76 on Steam: 8,928 average players the last 30 days - Peak of 14,188 players the last 30 days.
Fallout 76 on PS4: 2.9 million total players (+43.000 new players the last 30 days).

No Steam data from The Division 2 because it's only on the Epic Store and Uplay.
The Division 2 on PS4: 4.8 million total players (+74.000 new players the last 30 days)

Blond

Banned
Borderlands 2 had an end too.

BL3 is just crap. The horrible writing destroyed the IP.

Lol what? The writing in all of these games have been trash from Day 1 I was always in it for the guns + quest.
2UzXbYR.png

VertigoOA

Banned
Microsoft Store data? Really?

I just did a quick research on Steamcharts and Gamstat...

Borderlands 3 on Steam: 8.637 average players the last 30 days - Peak of 17,781 players the last 30 days.
Borderlands 3 on PS4: 4.6 million total players (+110.000 new players the last 30 days)

Fallout 76 on Steam: 8,928 average players the last 30 days - Peak of 14,188 players the last 30 days.
Fallout 76 on PS4: 2.9 million total players (+43.000 new players the last 30 days).

No Steam data from The Division 2 because it's only on the Epic Store and Uplay.
The Division 2 on PS4: 4.8 million total players (+74.000 new players the last 30 days)

Steam and Xbox Live provide most played lists in some form. I’m not sure epic or Bethesda’s pc launchers do. Both Fallout 76 and Borderlands have their own game launchers from Bethesda and Epic. Steam releases launched much later for both I believe.

Last edited:
these are the same people that will likely buy the next fallout over say...cyberpunk.

so i'm not surprised.

like how lil pump has more fans than lupe fiasco

beiber has more fans than bon iver or fleet foxes, glass animals etc

that kinda shit, bethesda is in that "we're bad but mainstream" realm.

Lol what? The writing in all of these games have been trash from Day 1 I was always in it for the guns + quest.
2UzXbYR.png
quests are a product of the writing though...

bland and repetitive quests, are a product of bad writing, or...no writing.

so if you like the quests in borderlands....you kind of like the writing.

Top Bottom