• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where did the AAA FPS genre disappear to?

EruditeHobo

Thanks, exactly what I’m talking about!

Yeah, it's pretty simple... the gaming audience & gaming development both moved on.

There are plenty of FPS story playthroughs... doesn't COD have a campaign mode released like every year? People have already named other things like Metro, Far Cry, Titanfall. But if you're saying no one specifically makes AAA dungeon/corridor single-player FPS games anymore... uh yeah. You're right. The market moved on from that a long time ago.

They don't really make one of my favorite games anymore either -- online, team-based, arena FPS, focus on map control, & large weapon selection focused on using "the right tool for the job", a la Unreal Tournament & Quake 3 -- but hey, that's life. :(

aries_71

Talking of Halo Infinite, anymore story DLC incoming or is it a case of waiting till 2025?
That‘s early for 343 studios. I wouldn’t expect anything before 2027 or maybe even before next generation. They ara a game for generation shop.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
makaveli60 makaveli60 i fucking know exactly what kind of games you're talking about. Between 10-20 hours long. Single-player. First person. Linear level-by-level progression, not open world. Heavy on environmental storytelling. May or may not have RPG elements.

I guess only Drizzlehell Drizzlehell and perhaps rofif rofif also got what you're saying, but going through the rest of the thread it is sad that most people came by to just nitpick and argue for no fucking reason. Literally the same thing happened to a post i made a few days back.

Anyway, yea i definitely miss those kinds of games. I feel like we haven't quite got anything like that since Doom Eternal. The only thing i would suggest is Sniper Elite 5. While the individual levels themselves are quite open and it is a third person game; it scratches some of that itch, if you want to try it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom