• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where does your Favourite game of your Childhood rank now?

Nothing will ever be better than this:

111575-maniac-mansion-day-of-the-tentacle-dos-front-cover.jpg

God Enel

The game of my childhood is probably Super Mario World on SNES. My sister and I played it a lot.

I bought the SNES mini to show my kids/my nieces and nephews the games I grew up with but I don't really enjoy those games anymore.

What? I think that super Mario world is such a classic that someone always enjoys. It's still perfectly playable and has aged really good.

My childhood game #1 was and still is Terranigma. And it will never be dethroned. Of course it has its flaws but the story and topics about life it covers couldn't be matched by any other game. Huge nostalgia factor and ir will always have a special place in my heart.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I was in love with Sonic back when my Mega Drive was the thing, but time has passed and I changed to Doom. Sonic still has a place in my heart thou.

MrRogers

I always thought my most impressionable years was between the ages of 8-18. In this decade i experienced games that have had the longest impact on my life and certainly scratch the itch of nostalgia. Those years for me are 1991-2001, so include the 16bit-32bit eras. Only super mario bros 3 before and resident evil 4, half life 2, SOTC and dark souls after, have had the same impact as the titles i played during those formative years. Some of those games are link to the past, chrono trigger, super metroid, super mario rpg, metal gear solid, FF VII, RE2, super mario 64, ocarina of time, goldeneye 007, blast corps, conkers bad fur day, soul caliber, star craft, command and conquer, rogue squadron, and grand theft auto 3. Plus a few others. Surprisingly most hold up well enough, and i would like to see full on remakes for most of them, hence why the upcoming re2make and ff7 remake are my most wished for games.

I was also 15 in 1998, which is still the greatest year in gaming i had ever encountered, it landed at a perfect time aswell as i had access to all the systems and a PC, to play that years incredible line up.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Age of Mythology, I think it's probably my favorite RTS of all time.
What do I like, the greek mythology and gods, the setting, the era, the mysticism, the music....To my 2002 brain it just carried me away to another more magical place. I wish the stars would align for a sequel in a modern engine.
Arkantos...Awaken.

Bolivar687

Banned
It's still FFVII, nothing I've played in recent years can really change that, as AAA games have mostly become about the atmosphere. The stuff I currently play on PC are mechanics-focused evergreen games like Crusader Kings and the Division, where the core experience has a lot of variety, both depending on what you play and the tweaks from periodic updates and DLC. It's fun endlessly planning strategies and crunching numbers but it's never going to displace my favorite all time game.

River City Ransom was my favorite. River City Ransom EX took it's place and remains number 1. Haven't tried the newer remake on 3DS, but will soon.

thequestion

Link to the past is still a mandatory play at least once a year, for me. Still hits all the right notes: level design, exploration, soundtrack, tight gameplay. Fell in love when I first saw it. Still in love.

Honourable nostalgic mentions:
-Super Mario 2
-Monkey island 1-3
-Quest for glory 1-4 (these have aged the worst, and a tough sell to gamers who didn’t experience them when that first came out)
-Day of tentacle
-metal gear solid

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Diablo and Diablo II were easily the best gaming experiences of my life.

I loved the chaotic and hack filled nature of Diablo. The game itself was fun to play (I'm a loot whore gamer through and through), and all the insane shit like duping and hacking really energized my brain. I was a lot younger, so the idea of breaking the game or messing with people was tip top for me.

Diablo II came about and it was like the more mature version of the game I'd already fell in love with. The graphics were better, the loot grind was as good as ever, the hacking element was largely gone, but I'd still spend hours upon hours grinding for that chance at getting those sick drops.

They just felt like largely cooperative games with really great systems in place.

Today's games have these kinds of elements, but none of them have really captured the essence of those games for me in the same way.

I still consider them my favorite games of all time, but it's a retrospective love. I don't think they'd hold up very well, but I'll always remember them fondly.

N64'Days. Unforgettable for many reasons. School, friends, 4 players on wcw vs nwo revenge, goldeneye and perfect dark. Mario 64 was an earthquake.

Nostalgia effect for sure but it's normal because the best period to play game is during High School.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
My childhood? Hmmmm...Street Fighter 2. The original. Or TMNT 1989 Arcade game. Absolute game changers.

And GoldenEye 007 on N64.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Chrono Trigger for me. The art, the music, the characters, the story!

Not to say it can't be replaced, it just hasn't. Judging by new rpg's like FF15, it'll never be replaced.

As far as RPG's go, honorable mention to Persona 5 which recently entered my personal favorite RPG list. The way the artwork pops against the vibrant red colors and the acid jazz soundtrack are just amazing!

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm going to add a few more, first ChuChu Rocket, I was nine wen it came out and have a blast with the simple but perfect gameplay, and it's still really fun in multiplayer with friends

Next is Power Stone, a cult game from the Dreamcast era that still hold up very well

But if I should choose ONE game, it will be Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion. Gameplay is very addictive with tons os civs, the musics are beautiful and the campaign is awesome

Vawn

Banned
Oh sorry, Disney's Aladdin. Think it was on Sega Genesis.

I miss the days where console libraries were almost 100% unique from each other. Even if a company made a game with the same title for both consoles, they usually were completely different games.

Crazy to think Aladin was an exclusive game for Super NES and Aladin was an exclusive game for the Genesis. Both apparently good games.

I still consider them my favorite games of all time, but it's a retrospective love. I don't think they'd hold up very well, but I'll always remember them fondly.
Feel like losing weeks/months of your life again. Install Median XL. Embrace the addiction again.

I've spent the last 30+ years trying to recapture the feeling I got from the original Legend of Zelda. The closest I got as an adult was Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1.

Zelda is still good, but it doesn't work as well today in the days of internet and with so many games that built upon the open-world fantasy that it laid the framework for. Back then, the secrets were really hidden and the only cheating their was discussions you had with your friends who all were wrapped in the same game.

Original Zelda for me as well. Still in my top 5 all time.

Frosted

One of my favorites I played as a kid was Moon Patrol on Atari 2600. I spent so many days and night on that game.

SpiceRacz

d82b55f7370ca26388905027859dfcab.jpg

Still one of my favorite games ever. It's superior to Super Mario World in some ways. I find myself going back to it more as I've gotten older and my appreciation for it has only grown.

BANGS

Banned
What do you define as childhood? I played Shenmue when I was like 15 and that's still my favorite game of all time...

Top Bottom