• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where the hell is Splinter Cell?

Nankatsu

Its gonna be revealed soon. Ubisoft trying to figure out how to make it an open world loot fest with microtransactions.

Have a gearless Sam Fisher searching loot boxes for gear.

I wouldn't mind they tackled the next Splinter Cell like the latest Hitman.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

hyperbertha

It's next to Prince of Persia, in hell.

But honestly, more than Prince of Persia, fans let down the series. Conviction was fantastic and a new radical invention for stealth gameplay. Every main stealth series has since copied marking enemies, like Uncharted, and Metal Gear. It was amazing, and Blacklist just expanded it.

Fans were shitty towards Conviction and Blacklist and were conservative, and slow to adapt. It was a new series, from a new team, and worthy of supporting at that time. But people just lionized the old Xbox 1 games and failed to buy or support the new series so now its dead.

In this case, I really do blame fans. Both the new games were great and both games were recognized as influential by game devs who copied them. Fans were slow to support them both and failed.
Fans love good games, its not their 'fault' that they didn't support it. That's some logic. They just didn't like the direction the series was going and rightfully so. If Ubisoft takes an established series in a different direction, and it doesn't do well, that's entirely on them. Bring back the REAL splinter cell, not this action hero bullshit.
And no conviction isn't even responsible for the marking system in games.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Let's talk about this shit. Such an iconic game series that has vanished. BRING back the series as a launch title for the ps5 or series X, you cowards.

It died when they started having daylight levels. Also there were way too many games. Nowadays Ubi just uses it to troll people into Ghost Recon DLC.

Just seeing the title of this thread is giving me that itch.

I'm gonna play some Chaos Theory tonight.

EDIT: Also, I still can't believe they brought back GOAT Ironside a stupid Ghost Recon DLC (TWICE).
I can't get into stealth games, I really want to get into Thief especially but they're tough games, I've never been good at stealth.

Arachnid

Splinter_Cell_Double_Agent-DVD-Xbox.jpg

I'm still waiting for an OG Xbox emulator so I can finally play the original version of Double Agent. I heard good things about it. They really dropped the ball on the next gen versions.
If you have an Xbox One, the digital versions of both the 360 and OG Xbox Double Agent games are on it. The OG Xbox version is better, and more in line with Chaos Theory gameplay.

I can't get into stealth games, I really want to get into Thief especially but they're tough games, I've never been good at stealth.
Thief is is a great stealth game. I'd say keep trying to get into the genre. There's a learning curve to it but once you get past that, all stealth games share a lot in common. Thief is one of the harder ones, so you could come back to it. The main and most basic idea is keeping all enemy view cones in a small area in mind to plan a path through. After that, you just have to take secondary stealth gameplay aspects into account like lighting and speed (or even surfaces you're sneaking on depending on the game).

Start with third person stealth. That's the easiest since you know exactly what the enemy sees and you can position the main character accordingly. I'd actually recommend the Metal Gear series. It's more simplistic in stealth than something like Splinter Cell or Thief. You really only have to worry about view cones and camo index. Then go to Splinter Cell. It's a bit more involve/difficult, but still third person. After that, end off on the original Thief games. They are hardcore stealth games in first person which makes it more difficult (if you need a good bridge to first person stealth, try out Deus Ex or Dishonored 2; hell try those anyways, fantastic games).

Last edited:
If you have an Xbox One, the digital versions of both the 360 and OG Xbox Double Agent games are on it. The OG Xbox version is better, and more in line with Chaos Theory gameplay.

Thief is is a great stealth game. I'd say keep trying to get into the genre. There's a learning curve to it but once you get past that, all stealth games share a lot in common. Thief is one of the harder ones, so you could come back to it. The main and most basic idea is keeping all enemy view cones in a small area in mind to plan a path through. After that, you just have to take secondary stealth gameplay aspects into account like lighting and speed (or even surfaces you're sneaking on depending on the game).

Start with third person stealth. That's the easiest since you know exactly what the enemy sees and you can position the main character accordingly. I'd actually recommend the Metal Gear series. It's more simplistic in stealth than something like Splinter Cell or Thief. You really only have to worry about view cones and camo index. Then go to Splinter Cell. It's a bit more involve/difficult, but still third person. After that, end off on the original Thief games. They are hardcore stealth games in first person which makes it more difficult (if you need a good bridge to first person stealth, try out Deus Ex or Dishonored 2; hell try those anyways, fantastic games).
I played some of Chaos Theory and thought it was pretty tough too, my issue is with patience.

I own all of the Deus Ex games as well, I'm at the beginning of Mankind Divided but it's already good.

Arachnid

I played some of Chaos Theory and thought it was pretty tough too, my issue is with patience.

I own all of the Deus Ex games as well, I'm at the beginning of Mankind Divided but it's already good.
Yeah, patience is a big part of the genre. If you're not patient and can't get past that (which is OK), try out the more aggressive stealth games that work better on the move like Splinter Cell: Blacklist and MGSV.

I also recommend starting with Human Revolution before Mankind Divided. HR is MUCH better (also they both follow the same protagonist),

Yeah, patience is a big part of the genre. If you're not patient and can't get past that (which is OK), try out the more aggressive stealth games that work better on the move like Splinter Cell: Blacklist and MGSV.

I also recommend starting with Human Revolution before Mankind Divided. HR is MUCH better (also they both follow the same protagonist),
It's funny because I'm actually very patient IRL, I guess I just figure I don't have much time to play some genres so I can't get into them.

I do understand that the Deus Ex games follow the same protagonist, don't know about the first few though. I should play more MD but should definitely get on HR on PC first.

MarlboroRed

Sadly I do not. There is also the PS2/GC versions, which are (more or less) the same from what I gather, and can be emulated very well today, but the OG Xbox allowed the devs to do things with the lighting that simply wasnt possible on the other consoles. And in a game like Splinter Cell, lighting is part of the gameplay.

stranno

Yesterday I finished probably the most obscure Splinter Cell game (along with the NGAGE port), the Mascot Capsule 3D version of Pandora Tomorrow from Gameloft.

Shading is not emulated tho.

Kydd BlaZe

Wasn’t it because Blacklist didn’t sell well enough/meet expectations, so they put any sequels or future releases on the back burner?

Breakage

When did the Original Xbox version of Double Agent make it onto the marketplace? It must have been recently because I would not have missed this.

Arachnid

When did the Original Xbox version of Double Agent make it onto the marketplace? It must have been recently because I would not have missed this.
I couldn't even tell you. I had all the Splinter Cell games on Xbox bought the second they were put out but I just happened to see it on sale last week. I haven't heard anything about them adding BC games so that's weird since the SC games were the very last wave of BC games added.

Three

I know this is controversial but Splinter Cell in terms of marketing/funding was just an answer for xbox to Metal Gear Solid. Now that MGS is multiplat... It kind of died. It was a good stealth game in its own right.

Breakage

I couldn't even tell you. I had all the Splinter Cell games on Xbox bought the second they were put out but I just happened to see it on sale last week. I haven't heard anything about them adding BC games so that's weird since the SC games were the very last wave of BC games added.
Likewise. If it weren't for your earlier post I wouldn't have even known. There was no announcement or anything. The last OG Xbox game I remember being added to the BC program was SSX3.
I've been wanting to play the Xbox version of DA for years.

Sybrix

Likely explanation is they have been trying to figure out how to bring it to today's market, when you have games like Ghost Recon, Assassins Creed and Watchdogs..... where does Splinter Cell fit in with all that?

I would love a return to Splinter Cell of old but not sure if it would sell as well as they'd want.

To me Watchdogs was their attempt at a Splinter Cell for the 21st Century which failed miserably.

Last edited:
I have a follow up question OP!

If Ubisoft isn't doing a new Splinter Cell, which other studio would you like to see take the stealth crown from them?

Last edited:
Likely explanation is they have been trying to figure out how to bring it to today's market, when you have games like Ghost Recon, Assassins Creed and Watchdogs..... where does Splinter Cell fit in with all that?

I would love a return to Splinter Cell of old but not sure if it would sell as well as they'd want.

To me Watchdogs was their attempt at a Splinter Cell for the 21st Century which failed miserably.
Ubisoft is the open-world company at this point. They don't have a single major franchise which isn't an open-world setting, this is actually unique among the "Big 4" publishers (Activison Blizzard, EA, and Take Two Interactive are the other 3). Splinter Cell was never an open-world franchise and it doesn't really work that well as an open-world game. I mean okay fine MGSV but that game still put you into missions where a small area was the mission area and the open-world was more of a free-roaming hub.

Ozrimandias

Probably better that Ubi Left Splinter Cell alone....I want to the new Splinter Cell to be superb, and Ubi most likely are not going to deliver something close to that, in fact the facial animation of the latest Ubi titles are horrible, same as the gamepay.

Dane

I know this is controversial but Splinter Cell in terms of marketing/funding was just an answer for xbox to Metal Gear Solid. Now that MGS is multiplat... It kind of died. It was a good stealth game in its own right.

I'd say that Splinter Cell its a franchise that suddenly died for no reason, it was a multiplatform franchse (Conviction was the exception) very marketed for the Xbox and Ubisot at the time had very close relationship with Microsoft, many of their games were built for the OG Xbox and had significant downgrades on PS2 and Gamecube. MGS was on and off: MGS 2 Substence was first released on OG Xbox alongside the first Splinter Cell, but it wasn't until HD Collection that the franchise became really multiplatform from there and beyond.

Moses85

Hopefully far, faaaar away.
Have you seen the new, upcoming AC and PoP Remake?

In this constitution (Ubisoft) I don’t have any hope to get a Splinter Cell Game the francise and the fans deserve.

Splinter Cell games should remain linear. It's fun to complete covert missions across the world.

If Ubisoft can't do that then they shouldn't bother reviving the series, in my opinion.

Sign

It should have ended after 31, it's so clear to me. Get Huey stuff in line to happen after the mission, maybe redo the Quiet thing, get the Man on Fire body during the mission when Ocelot says it wasn't located, fuck Eli anyway and there you have it, plenty of killer material to make the epic final cutscene it should have been. But no, we were treated to 20 more missions (half of those are repeats) where nothing happens basically.

Don't get me wrong, MGSV has issues but I don't think it's unfinished. I think it's overdone. Kojima badly needs an editor for his next game.

The last chapter of MGSV functions almost exactly like Peace Walker. You get the credits, then a chapter where you play a bunch of old stuff while getting some new material here and there.

The only story mistake Kojima made with MGSV was not setting the last mission on Mother Base like P.W. Everything they needed to do could have happened there with less resources.

The last chapter of MGSV functions almost exactly like Peace Walker. You get the credits, then a chapter where you play a bunch of old stuff while getting some new material here and there.

The only story mistake Kojima made with MGSV was not setting the last mission on Mother Base like P.W. Everything they needed to do could have happened there with less resources.

IMO that's the worst part of Peace Walker, Kojima shouldn't have made the same mistake twice. I still love MGS V and I think it's a weirdly underrated title, kind of like Skyward Sword is for Zelda. But the second chapter was a mistake. And notice I didn't even mention a central thing that happens because that was awesome in concept but so, so poorly done.

Top Bottom