• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where to shop for dress shirts - business casual look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Browsing amazon I came across "local mode" brand. It seems like a no-name brand with a shitty website, but their shirts are exactly what I'm looking for.

q2yZW7c.png

B3pKlxa.png

But I almost never buy clothes online because I like to try them on first. And I really don't want the hassle of ordering them, trying them on, then returning if they don't fit. Where do you shop for dress shirts like these in person? Malls never have the size I want.

cwmartin

Uniqlo is your best bet honestly. Their sizing is consistent so you can be confident in what you get there.

I personally don't like the look of those shirts at all OP. The shirt is pinned very tight to the model to give that slim look. Imagine trying to move your arms, or sit down with your shirt that tight... not gonna be pretty. Determine if the actual shirt pattern is what you like and you can find similar. I have a feeling a lot of people just fall for these shirts that are modeled so slim in their advertising. They also have a very cheesy french cuff which looks very...dumb.

How much money are you looking to spend?

Higher budget: Nordstrom, J Crew
Medium budget: Banana Republic
Lower budget: Uniqlo, Macy's

I would recommend getting one or two trunks sent to you from TrunkClub. It'll help you find what you like, you don't have to keep them, and then you can use the brands and fits you like to either go to Nordstrom and pick otu your own clothes, or if you're looking to save money, go on Ebay or Amazon and search for the same things that you liked.

Brooks Brothers currently have their 4 for 199 sale, it's pretty great price to quality ratio.
if your looking for something cheaper, J.crew sale section or Uniqlo are good options.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honestly you can get some cheap dress shirts at Costco. My bro turned me on to this. They work fine for our needs.

I'll second Costco. I have 5 of their shirts and they're in the mid tier as far as quality, but great at $17.99 each. I'd buy one or two and if you like them get more.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
macy's and bach rach are my two go to.

Never, ever buy them at full price. Both stores frequently have sales. I believe the next sale coming up would be fathers day, but they may still have some presidents day stuff. Or clearance section as well.

Kill3r7

I'll second Costco. I have 5 of their shirts and they're in the mid tier as far as quality, but great at $17.99 each. I'd buy one or two and if you like them get more.

The problem with Costco is that they only have about 5 colors/styles. Not enough variety to be viable but their shirts are good value.

j crew factory has 50% off rn

get it

while I do think their shirts are decent for the price, JCF are actually a bit notorious for their fake sales, marking up prices and all that jazz.

Plus it is a quality issues. JCrew now specifically makes clothes for the factory store.
Yeah I know but their button up specifically are actually decent imo, wouldn't buy anything else from them though.

Jcpenneys has a great selection at good prices. No seriously.

Indeed. After dropping some weight last year, I needed new work clothes. I was surprised by the quality and cost. You're not going to get the highest fashions, but their stuff is tried and true and generally looks nice.

Depends on your shape. Good prices but if you want to look like you lost 100 lbs on the arms I'd go with something more fitted. They do have fitted which shrinks and isn't good quality like their van huesen shirts.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Nordstrom Rack - clearance - my hauls for less than thirty quid over the years have included:

Giorgio Armani
Paul Smith
Prada
Comme des Garcons
Yohji Yamamoto

dohdough

When I was thin, I used to get all my shirts from Bennetton, but now I tend to get Varvatos USA shirts. It really comes down to being realistic about your body type and the tailoring that is the most flattering.

Banana Republic is a staple with decent quality at a decent price when they have a sale and pretty generous with the cut of their sizes. Their shirts are ok, but I really like their pants.

If there's a Nordstrom Rack near you, I'd hit them up too. There are AMAZING deals if you take the time to look.

Uniqlo is your best bet honestly. Their sizing is consistent so you can be confident in what you get there.

I personally don't like the look of those shirts at all OP. The shirt is pinned very tight to the model to give that slim look. Imagine trying to move your arms, or sit down with your shirt that tight... not gonna be pretty. Determine if the actual shirt pattern is what you like and you can find similar. I have a feeling a lot of people just fall for these shirts that are modeled so slim in their advertising. They also have a very cheesy french cuff which looks very...dumb.
I like the shirt pattern, not necessarily the slim fit (not a fan of slim fit for the reasons you mentioned). I'm trying to find shirt that has good checkered patterns in different color/designs. I will check out uniqlo as it seems to be a gaf favorite.

HvySky

H&M has some pretty quality stuff that's really inexpensive. It's where I buy all of my work / business casual shirts.

I wear mostly GAP wrinkly resistant shirts, as long as you pull them out of the dryer as soon as theyre done no need to iron, its great!

C.Mongler

I would recommend not buying unknown clothing online, not only for the inability to try it on, but in my experience you'll occasionally get a shirt that feels like it's made of paper and sewn together with floss that falls apart after a couple washes.

My favorite shirts are probably from Banana Republic, but they are very expensive. I never buy them without a sale. That said, their shirts feel nice, fit very well, and have held up after numerous washes.

For more cost-effective options, I also shop at H&M and Uniqlo primarily. Kohls and Nodstrom Rack also have a very nice selection of almost every pattern you can think of across many different brands. If you want to get decent shirts for mega cheap though, Ross, Marshals, and the like have those packaged shirts for like 10-20 bucks a pop, though it will require knowing a bit about the brands and what you're looking for exactly.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

That's where I shop for tall sizes and it works pretty well. The Stafford brand is affordable and they don't look too sloppy.

Honestly it depends on where you work and what you do if you're just talking about work clothes. Your office culture can kinda dictate the difference between you simply being the sharply dressed guy in the office or the "office narcissist" that people roll their eyes at (which means you overspent several hundred dollars on your wardrobe). For whatever reason, all of the offices I've worked at would have frowned upon wearing embroidered cuffs and fancy clothes since that just wasn't the culture there.

If you're talking about stuff to wear out and about or to go on dates, whole different ball game and the sky is the limit.

eosos

Banned
I don't recommend Express if you want your shirt to last more than 6 months. Similar for uniqlo. I've had good luck with Banana Republic

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I've purchased so many dress shirts from H&M over the years and I never learn my lesson. I wear a size medium for nearly all of my shirts with the exception of a few small shirts from Banana Republic due to the way they run, but god damn it, H&M, why must my chest nearly explode out of your shirts? I can't go to a large because that'd be too big and a medium the shirt is already a little baggy in the back. Perhaps I'm too wide-chested/shouldered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom