• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where to start with From Sotfware games?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I've Played DS1, Bloodborne and now DS3. You can start with any of them, imo.

Is the story in Sekiro any good? Is it told in a way people can understand? Because I didn't like the story in the games I've played.
Actually the main story is vey straight forward but the game still has really nice lore just like FROM's pervious games.

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I would recommend the remastered Dark souls 1. I tried to play BB first and was overwhelmed. It wasn't till I went back and got D1 for switch that it clicked. Even then it took a while. I kind of hated the game at first then I started doing better and it clicked.

TTOOLL

Actually the main story is vey straight forward but the game still has really nice lore just like FROM's pervious games.

Unpopular opinion: they have nice lore but decided to present it in a lazy way. I forgive them because the games are brilliant.

Aion002

Dark Souls 3, then Bloodborne and finally Sekiro.

For other gens: Kuon (horror/survival PS2), Armored Core 4 Answer (mecha tps PS360) and Otogi (action hack and slash OG Xbox).

Armorian

Banned
I tried DS like 2 times in the past but bounced off pretty quickly, but once BB clicked for me it was over.

Afer BB i completed DeS, DS1, DS2, DS3 and Sekiro. You're in for amazing ride regardless what game will be your first. Jest git gud and die, die, die... :messenger_grinning_smiling:

V4skunk

Banned
No new weapons no armor no level up statts etc.
No reason to put in more time for me in after 57 hours.
Now bloodborne you have chalet dungeons with new bosses past main game etc.
Ds you have diff classes etc

But my god that input lag in sekiro is a bad joke.

Anyway i logged in 300 hours in nioh and still enjoy it.
Will get nioh 2 , will never buy sekiro 2.
If it took you 57 hours to fully complete Sekiro you obviously cheated by watching guides.
My first run was over 100 hours and i went in blind.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I feel that Dark Souls 1 is the most cryptic... humanity, kindling, weird upgrading... and who would know about that abyss stuff with the ring...
But I would still start from DS1. It's easier to play better looking games afterwards than to "go back in time"

Last edited:
Just play one. If you want to commit to all of them, thats all you will play for 2-3 yrs.

I have finished only Demons Souls. Did pre ordered Dark Souls and brought a cool guide for it. Simply don't have the stomach to do it all over again.

Ibara

I had never played a souls game before either so I started with Bloodborne. After I got my wits about me and collected my balls back I was able to really enjoy the game.

I'm hoping to give Sekiro a go next

Bankai

Bloodborne. I played DS1 before it and didn't like the slow-paced combat at all. Bloodborne was fantastic.

bobone

Dark Souls 1 all the way. There are remastered versions, so there is no excuse not to.

Dark Souls is far more accessible and allows for varied playstyles.
Bloodborne, while a better game overall, is very restrictive in its play style.
If you're having trouble in Dark Souls you can go heavy armor, sword and shield and tank through the hard parts. You have no such option in Bloodborne, and even LESS options in Sekiro. You play the way the developers wanted, or you quit.

Sekiro really isnt a "souls" game and has very little resemblance of one, so I would avoid that one for the moment.

Bankai

1) Frequent bosses that are difficult, and genuinely intimidating to even be around.
2) Surprise attacks from enemies that can kill you quickly, often hidden within intricate level design.
3) Complex level layouts with no maps or guidance.
4) Losing money, and having to earn it again.
5) Hopelessness.
6) Fear.

The only time I was actually afraid in a game: Bloodborne. It's pure dread and SO awesome. The (boss)music is also terrifying, I was often shaking in fear haha good stuff

WindomURL

I envy your position, being so fresh and starting with such a rich library. Been in it since day one, so it's been a slow but steady drip over the past ten years.

An important bit of advice is that there will be moments when you lose lots of souls, echoes, money etc-- I've lost many, many millions over the course of these games-- and it will feel as though you've been cheated out of so much time and effort. But, in truth, you haven't. It's simply the price one must pay in order to LEARN what went wrong, where, and how. You'll want to rage quit. I have. But I came back, and it always always paid off.

Oddly enough, it's one of the most visceral life lessons that I've ever gleaned from playing any library of games. All success is borne of countless and often disheartening failures.

That being said, I'd recommend either Bloodborne or Dark Souls 1 as a launching point. They're imo the two purest entries and will teach you the language of FROM.

Just be prepared. No rods will be spared.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I've never played one of these and was looking at Sekiro, I like that type of world setting. But, was curious if people think I should start with a different title first? What should I expect just to die a lot and to expect frustration?
Demon Souls
Dark Souls
Sekiro
Dark souls II
Bloodborne
Darksouls III

Demon souls>>> Sekiro>>>>Dark souls II Scholar of the first Sin>>> Dark souls>>>>Bloodborne>>>>Dark souls III

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If it took you 57 hours to fully complete Sekiro you obviously cheated by watching guides.

What's your definition of "fully complete"? I played through it once in 37 hours, I didn't get all the tools or upgrades but there's not a snowball's chance in hell that would take a further 63+ hours. I could scour every inch of the map several times over long before then. It's a fantastic game and it's tough, but there's not THAT much to it.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've never played one of these and was looking at Sekiro, I like that type of world setting. But, was curious if people think I should start with a different title first? What should I expect just to die a lot and to expect frustration?
Sekiro is a good start, but I would warn that it's much faster than most souls games. There is less customization as Sekiro just has his sword, and I would imagine getting used to traversal in Sekiro may leave you wanting when you move on to the next game. It also one of the hardest games in the souls-like subgenre.

Alternatively, I think dark souls 2 is a good starting point. It's not as hard on you as Dark Souls 1 or 3 because it allows you to warp freely between bonfires as opposed to DS1 and 3.

Jtibh

Banned
You just suck at it hahaha.
Hey man this is the only game where its hard to cheat trust me i tried but forget about all these dudes on youtube.
I suffered just as much on all bosses like everyone else if not more.
Nioh took me over a hunderd hours to complete but not this.

garballax

go with whichever game looks the most interesting to you, OP. if Sekiro's setting and characters appeal to you, then play it first. they're all fun for different reasons so i'll go through some of what makes their more recent works unique from one another, in addition to their positives and negatives. if you can't tell from the other posts in this thread, fans of FromSoftware games looooove talking about them.

while i haven't played much of Demon's Souls, it's fascinating to see how much they got right on their first attempt on what would arguably become the FromSoftware action game formula. there's a lot of ideas that are "just crazy enough to work."

the Dark Souls games expand upon ideas from Demon's Souls. they're great to replay because there's so many weapons and different ways to level up your character's stats. Dark Souls 1 is a little rough around the edges in its later half but has the most open level progression of the trilogy, which can be a bit overwhelming to some players. there's a lot that's set up in DS1 story-wise but you don't need to start there to experience the full story or experience it "the right way." though i definitely recommend the Remaster over the original or Prepare to Die edition. Dark Souls 2 has the most balanced PvP if you enjoy online play. while there's some questionable decisions made in Dark Souls 2, it's still a solid entry in the series. Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin is a remixed version with some small tweaks and changes. Dark Souls 3 has the fastest combat and most consistently quality level design of the trilogy, but the overall level progression is linear.

Bloodborne has a lot in common with Demon's and Dark Souls, but the combat is much more aggressive because shields aren't an option. Bloodborne wears its Lovecraft-influenced heart on its sleeve and is one of the most aesthetically distinct FromSoftware titles.

Sekiro takes a different approach to combat variety by giving you one dedicated primary weapon with an expanding moveset paired with subweapons you can upgrade and swap between instead of stat distribution. Sekiro has a much more straightforward story and and shines more of a spotlight on its characters.

just pick one and go crazy with it! and definitely be prepared to die.

I think your experience jumping in with Sekiro will really depend on where you're coming from as a gamer. If you cut your teeth on hard-ass 8/16-bit games like Ninja Gaiden, Ghouls n' Ghosts, Contra or arcade games, the difficulty won't seem that unusual. Dying multiple times until you master a section, and having to fight your way back from a checkpoint & re-earn your stuff will be something you're well experienced at.

But if you're used to Wolverine health, respawning right where you died, and encounters designed to be beaten in the first couple of tries to keep the story moving and prevent players from putting the game down, then it might just be an exercise in frustration. A lot of players seem to think they're up for it but bounce off it when they realize they might have to spend literal hours mastering a section or boss to get past it. Not everyone's got the time, energy or inclination.

My recommendation is to start with Dark Souls. Sekiro is an action/adventure game, while Dark Souls is an action rpg, so it has the advantage of levelling. If you're stuck at a certain point, eventually you'll have tried so many times that you'll get strong enough to make it through even if you take a couple of hits. Many still consider it the best constructed game From have made, and you'll appreciate what's special about Sekiro that much more if you start there.

Bloodborne is the one everyone pegs as the easiest, but it's also a lot of people's absolute favourite so you might want to save it for down the line, rather than have everything be downhill from there for you if it ends up being your favourite too.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Dark Souls 3 as it has less jank and bullshit. It's all the QoL improvements, technical improvements and best looking. It's also sword and board which is what interests most people. Then I'd play bloodborne for the switch up and then finally finish with Dark Souls I so you can go back to the beginning and feel a bit more forgiving of its bullshit. Aside from that, skip the rest.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
It's a bit difficult saying this with hindsight but I'd rank them like this from easiest to hardest:

Dark Souls 3 - piece of cake. tries too much to be DS1 with some Bloodborne rip offs but ultimately no real challenge.

Dark Souls 2 - it feels quite different from DS1 so i struggled early on but most of the bosses are a complete joke. I think only 2 of them I had any difficulty with. It might be easy but i enjoyed the story/lore and the world is beautiful and fun to explore. Per single playthrough it is my second longest From game.

Dark Souls 1 - Quite a challenge because it was my first Soulsekiroborne game I completed but maybe 3-4 bosses gave me a hard time.

Bloodborne - first From game I played (well, first soulsekiroborne) and i found it incredible hard. even after having played DS1/2/3 it was a challenge because it requires faster reactions and has a different type of approach

Sekiro - if it wasn't for the final bullshit boss I'd probably rank this between 2 + 1. it felt like a very dumbed down game but yup that final boss is no joke and because of that i say it is hardest because it took me well over 100 tries to defeat him and it is (per single play through) the longest Soulsekiroborne game I've played

As for Demon's Souls ... i can't speak for that because i never played it.

Last edited:
Demon's Souls imo, though it's also one of the best ones (even though there's no online anymore and despite the fact that its boss fights are weaker than later entries). But starting with either Demon's Souls, Dark Souls or Bloodborne is also an alternative, as they're the first entries in their respective series. Starting with Demon's Souls also has the benefit of it being the first entry in the overall Soulsborne design games.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Demon's souls is where you would want to start ideally but with the servers now down I'd say wait for the remake (should it happen).

Dark souls 1 remaster, then 2 and 3. Followed by Bloodborne. Never played sekero so can't comment.

If you want something amazing but from a ways back, try Kings field. It's utterly amazing, if dated.

Last edited:

Paltheos

Dark Souls III is the most balanced experience imo. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls I have their appeal, but they're also old. As many posts there are for Bloodborne too in this topic, that game has its share of problems too. I like Bloodborne too, mind you, but DS3 is most representative of what to expect from FromSoft, imo, and it's damn good.

Fbh

Either DS1, Bloodborne or Sekiro. Though I'd personally start with Ds1, as great as the game is the improvement made to combat in newer titles make it feel a bit lacking when going back to it.

Sekiro is great though it's more of a souls style action adventure game while the Dark Souls trilogy (and to a slightly lesser extent Blooodborne) incorporates some more extensive character building features in the form of levels, stats and a much wider variety of equipment which also lets you play around with different builds.

Start and end with Bloodborne.

I had difficulties with Demon and the Dark Souls games, but I didn't run into much trouble with Bloodborne at all until . I absolutely love Bloodborne! Can't wait for the sequel. Hopefully, the studio stays independent and not sellout to MS.

nikeboy94

I would start with Bloodborne. The gameplay is much faster than Dark Souls and is great for newcommers. I started with Bloodborne and I loved it. Afterwards you'd probs want to go with the Dark Souls trilogy and hit up Sekrio after that. You can decide if you want to play Demon Souls

KàIRóS

This thread has made me realize how underrated FROM was before Demon's Souls.

I would really like to see a new Enchanted Arms, Lost Kingdoms, Otogi or even a new Armored Core.

I'm also really curious to see how FROM would remake the King's Field games, would they just basically make a first person Dark Souls?

Dark Star

Start with Bloodborne, because it's the best game ever.

Dark Souls 3 is a solid way to go after BB because it's still new, looks good, plays good, etc.

Try Dark Souls remastered after. It's a great game. Demon Souls, too, for the atmosphere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom