• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which 3D Sonic game do you believe is the best in quality?

Which 3D Sonic game do you find to be the best and why?

• Total voters

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I honestly think every time there is a 'Generations' game released things always go downhill. It's like the developers saying "welp, we can't get better than this, might as well re-live the fantasy before it gets bad."

Same thing happened with the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm series. No improvements whatsoever besides adding characters and obligatory graphic improvements.

I honestly think every time there is a 'Generations' game released things always go downhill. It's like the developers saying "welp, we can't get better than this, might as well re-live the fantasy before it gets bad."

Same thing happened with the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm series. No improvements whatsoever besides adding characters and obligatory graphic improvements.

The issue with Sega is they never iterate on engines. Shadow and Heroes were the only time they did that and they barely improved a damn thing. Some may bring up SA but SA2 is a different engine, only the character physics are the same.

At some point starting with Sonic 4 and Generations they've gone mad in catering toward nostalgia. But you can't do nostalgia for almost 20 years. The audience isn't there anymore. You can make a self-aware twitter account, that doesn't help fix the problem.

If Sega/Sonic Team can't find a way to make a good game without another dog whistle with greenhill then the series is basically finished. The most popular sonic games in recent years have been cross-overs with Mario and a racing game with a bunch of Sega characters. On top of that Sonic Team makes some of the worst excuses of all time. All they have to do is introduce a new idea and improve on it. can you imagine if they took Lost Worlds broken gameplay and fixed it in a sequel? Maybe have it take place in an urban environment like SA2?

It would be awesome, parkouring around the city running from trucks and federal agents bullets.

Think about every 3D Sonic game, consider their core gameplay(whether from mechanics or level design) flaws, inexcusable/inexplicable focus on superfluous shit like cutscenes, voice acting, and alternative half-baked gameplay mechanics/gimmicks.
Imagine it's 2007 and instead of releasing Sonic 06, SEGA made Super Mario Galaxy lock stock and key, but Mario was reskinned as Sonic and so were the enemies. The game would have been heralded as the best Sonic game ever made.
The 3D games have no gameplay identity or "feel" like the 2D Sonic games, which are momentum/pinball based 2D platformers with levels that compliment the mechanics by having multiple paths and few areas that really punish the player for falling.
3D Sonic games, on the other hand have a hard time being defined singularly. They have done almost everything, poorly at that. It has been a brawler, a linear go fast boost game, a game where you seek for items, etc.
So SEGA has nothing to lose by going back to the drawing board and just emulating an actually successful, good game like Mario Galaxy, but reskinning it with Sonic.
Make tweaks, adjust the speed or momentum Sonic carries. Just make a pleasantly controlling demo with level design that actually compliments player actions and make enough content based around that to fill a 20-40 hour game.

Trim all the fat, the story can be read in a fucking manual. Eggman is turning flickies into Badniks to further an endgame of his.
Sonic is the only playable character unless you make skins of other characters that just play basically like him.

Doing this takes time and someone with the same vision. SEGA only ever allots a year for development and much of that is spent on nonsensical garbage like cutscenes and shitty gameplay gimmicks.

A little post script, the last 3D Sonic game I played was Heroes, I don't feel I've missed much.

So SEGA has nothing to lose by going back to the drawing board and just emulating an actually successful, good game like Mario Galaxy, but reskinning it with Sonic.

It's called Sonic Lost World and it's not very good.

People need to stop circling around the competence issue of Sonic Team, that being they have none.

It's called Sonic Lost World and it's not very good.

People need to stop circling around the competence issue of Sonic Team, that being they have none.
Do you seriously believe the game plays like Mario Galaxy or are you just pretending it does because there are superficial visual elements that are borrowed?

Don't pretend that a lack of good gameplay mechanics and level designs that compliment aren't at the heart of Sonic's problems.

To put a period on my point, do you seriously believe that Sonic Lost World controls and plays like the Galaxy games, if so, why didn't the reception reflect it?

Do you seriously believe the game plays like Mario Galaxy or are you just pretending it does because there are superficial visual elements that are borrowed?

Don't pretend that a lack of good gameplay mechanics and level designs that compliment aren't at the heart of Sonic's problems.

To put a period on my point, do you seriously believe that Sonic Lost World controls and plays like the Galaxy games, if so, why didn't the reception reflect it?

No, the whole marketing and the information on forums about the game was that it was basically Sega attempting to make their own Mario Galaxy, and since it was part of the Nintendo contract Nintendo characters were even in the game.

Also, like I said, you and many others keep avoiding the reality here, Sonic Team is not a competent dev studio. Their peak was in the 90's and died in the 90's.

Also, like I said, you and many others keep avoiding the reality here, Sonic Team is not a competent dev studio. Their peak was in the 90's and died in the 90's.
From what I understand that team is just a meat grinder that grabs up new, inexperienced talent and then spits them out after the failed Sonic game is released a year after its development started. The IP would be better off in the hands of a company with a steady workforce that wasn't in perpetual financial turmoil.

From what I understand that team is just a meat grinder that grabs up new, inexperienced talent and then spits them out after the failed Sonic game is released a year after its development started. The IP would be better off in the hands of a company with a steady workforce that wasn't in perpetual financial turmoil.

Or given to a different subsidiary. Segas Western studios seem to be stable.

Despite being banned I will honour my end and respond in kind.

No we don't have sales numbers for the UK/Japan and NPD at all. In fact, the only way you can get numbers in the UK is if you have an insider (like the one on Era).

Yes we did.

I am pretty sure SEGA did say this shortly after December of last year that Mania and Forces did similar numbers.

No they didn't.

1) It is a main Sonic entry across 3 platforms.

A main Sonic game hasn't sold 3 million Since Sonic Heroes in 2003, and since Unleashed had been on a decline each entry.

3) Performed strongly usually means it did better than the previous 3D games.

Sega said strongly without sales numbers for a reason, because it didn't sell well. It dropped off all the charts shortly after release, when it entered it was on the low end, in NPD it didn't meet top 10 sellers or revenue iirc, in Japan it was near non-exist, in GFK it charted low and then now too long vanished from the charts. With it flopping in the US, Japan, and the countries we got info for in Europe, where would Sonic get the sells to hit 1 million? In japan it basically nearly stopped selling the last several months. IN NPD it's bargin level, the UK has basically charts don't take kindly to it and neither does the french charts, where are they going to get the sales from?

Nowhere, because Sega just through out some PR and some people fell for it.

If you insist on being antagonistic about this then I am sorry to say that you don't really understand what goes on behind the scenes.

Actually you don't honestly.

I will not turn a blind eye against false reporting like you are.

So NPD/MC/GFK is false reporting, but you'll take Segas false reporting of orces "selling strongly" with no sales numbers, entering low on the charts, and then vanishing from the charts?

Ok.

Top Bottom