• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which big mp games got popular without *any* association with already popular ips?

Association doesn't properly describe it but I mean:
If that already popular ip didn't exist, the game would probably not exist or simply not be as popular or have taken longer to get off the ground.

e.g I don't think Fortnite would have dominated the market so quickly if PUBG didn't explode first. And PUBG probably only exists the way it does because ARMA laid the framework.

Apex is all that comes to mind as standing almost completely on its own.

Kagey K

Banned
If that already popular ip didn't exist, the game would probably not exist or simply not be as popular or have taken longer to get off the ground.

e.g I don't think Fortnite would have dominated the market so quickly if PUBG didn't explode first. And PUBG probably only exists the way it does because ARMA laid the framework.

Apex is loosely tied to Titanfall.

Don't know if you can say it's unassisted by another IP.

Apex is loosely tied to Titanfall.

Don't know if you can say it's unassisted by another IP.
Oh yeah. I forgot because the fact that Apex was developed by TF devs wasn't really pushed in its marketing. It sort of just came out of nowhere really.

Maybe Valheim then?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Placing popularity on a game is not from other games, pubg, apex and fortnight offer similar experiences.
M1877-APEX-Must-Stock-GB-LinkedIn-900x600.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Saddly Ark. Among us.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Rocket League and Fall Guys were both strokes of brilliance

Also Valheim really was a flavor of a month deal for a second there

no clue if people still play it though

Sophist

Apex definitely got popular because of its association with the Battle Royale genre so it’s a bad example of what you seem to be asking for.
Some examples:

1. Left for Dead
2. Rocket League
3. Fall Guys
4. Among Us
5. Battlefield 1942
6. Quake
7. Splinter cell Chaos theory: Mercs vs spies mode

fall guys is battle royal too and takes from quake 3/counter-strike 1.6 obstacles maps.

Vagswarm

If Fortnite and PUBG don't qualify, how does Apex? They are all battle royal's, and Apex came out last.

If Fortnite and PUBG don't qualify, how does Apex? They are all battle royal's, and Apex came out last.
My bad. It somehow slipped my mind that apex is a br. Plus releasing relatively late separated it from the og br zeitgeist in my mind

Last edited:

wipeout364

The people mentioning mods are being disingenuous to the topic. It was whether a popular ip had contributed to the success. If you are asking what game has a completely original concept without drawing on other ip or game modes and became popular the topic is pointless.

I did leave League of legends off the list because I think DOTA was actually a big enough mod that it does warrant being used as an established IP.

Top Bottom