• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which character model is currently using the most polygons?

Kindekuma

Banned
Update: 2B has around 90654 faces.
Her booty clocks in at 602 faces. Your answer will vary on what you define as where the ass starts and ends.

Back to the original topic of the thread, all the characters in FFXV have disgustingly high poly counts, Noctis especially.

Her booty clocks in at 602 faces. Your answer will vary on what you define as where the begins starts and ends.

Back to the original topic of the thread, all the characters in FFXV have disgustingly high poly counts, Noctis especially.

Thank you for spoilering the truth so i can believe the lie.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Her booty clocks in at 602 faces. Your answer will vary on what you define as where the begins starts and ends.

Okay cool, saved me the work of going through OoT's models.

Hmm, searching around the most detailed real time character model may be WITCH CHAPTER 0 from Microsoft/Square Enix's Direct X 12 demo.

She had 11 Million polygons from her hair to body.

6 Million polys in the hair and 2 million polys in the feathers alone.

It also took 4 Titan Xs to run, haha.
Yeah that's a complete waste of resources.

This gen I'm guessing it's characters from either Horizon ZD or UC4.

Last gen I remember Kratos from GoW 3 having a very impressive amount of detail.

Arkham Knight Batman. I think they said his model had more polys than the entirety of Arkham Asylum.

I don't think this is possible. It'd be interesting to hear what an actual dev with polygon/character design experience had to say about it. I expect a game like Arkham Asylum has tens if not hundreds of millions of polygons in the whole thing, while the Batman model in Arkham Knight probably doesn't have more than a few hundred thousand.

Xbro

Yup

XT5iCVg.jpg

Next next (next?) gen can't come soon enough.

Realize how long that will make games take though.

LordKasual

Banned
Yup

XT5iCVg.jpg

Next next (next?) gen can't come soon enough.

That was just a proof of concept...I do not believe that to be feasible even in the next next gen.

Not for horsepower reasons...but because I cannot see AAA studios creating games using the density of assets in that tech demo

Laiza

Realize how long that will make games take though.
That was just a proof of concept...I do not believe that to be feasible even in the next next gen.

Not for horsepower reasons...but because I cannot see AAA studios creating games using the density of assets in that tech demo
Sigh.

I really wish the "better graphics are (monetarily) expensive!" myth would die already.

The problem is not asset complexity. The problem is number and variety of assets. High-quality shaders do not require equally high amounts of money poured into graphics programmer positions (unless the dev studio is doing a lot of internal R&D, which is not terribly common). High polygon counts are the default - what we get in our games are the optimized versions created after decimating the poly count in the most intelligent ways we can manage.

What really balloons the budget of modern video games is simply scope creep - the ever-increasing demands of an industry hell-bent on topping itself over and over again ad infinitum, increasing the scale of our virtual worlds and consequently the amount of assets that need to be created to fill those worlds. If every dev studio were willing to have worlds as barren as that of Nier Automata we'd still be seeing budgets in the $10-20m~ range, but they're not satisfied with that. Of course they're not. Their employee counts are constantly rising alongside expectations by publishers, stockholders, and the audience that buys these games.

If we had infinite hardware grunt, every game could look like this. Graphics like that don't require multi-million dollar budgets, just a crapton of hardware power and a decent asset library. Again, the problem is just how many assets modern games demand. More complex models do not mean the budget will balloon endlessly. There may be a correlation, but a correlation is not causation. Remember that.

Tyaren

Shouldn't the prize for most polys go to a character from a fighting game? You only have 2 characters on screen most of the time and a small area as a background after all.

Yeah, that was once. Fighters somehow dropped the ball regarding the most polished character models. Injustice 2's character models look great however, but they also don't come close to what games like Horizon Zero Dawn are doing.

I'll throw in Arkham Knight Batman. No hair, which always eats lotsa polygons, but the suit is extremely detailed, with lots of moving parts and there are probably tens of thousands polygons in the cape:

27606499255_9fe688e1fc_o.png

27506147172_020dee41b0_o.png

26995426254_15d6dd63df_o.png

26995421794_ff4dff0d83_o.png

batman_arkham_knight_15_by_gamephotography-daufh9u.png

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
How many polys is BoTW Link?

Two Toon Links duct-taped together?

In all seriousness, I think you ask a good question. I wonder how the model complexity of very stylized games compares against more realistic models. I imagine they're way simpler, but perhaps some developers use many polygons in order to pull off convincing cartoon-esque visuals.

Crayolan

I imagine Drake's cutscene model or someone from UC4.
Saw someone on twitter say that 2B's butt has more polygons than the entirety of Ocarina of Time which really puts the evolution of video games into perspective.

Her booty clocks in at 602 faces. Your answer will vary on what you define as where the ass starts and ends.

This thread is amazing lmao

laxu

Two Toon Links duct-taped together?

In all seriousness, I think you ask a good question. I wonder how the model complexity of very stylized games compares against more realistic models. I imagine they're way simpler, but perhaps some developers use many polygons in order to pull off convincing cartoon-esque visuals.

It's all about what you can get away with. If we take the venerable barrel in any game, that has become rounder over the generations. About 8 faces (1 face = 2 polygon so 16 polys just for the sides) will be enough to enough to identify it as trying to be round but you need at least 12 faces before you really consider it round rather than more of a octagon. About 24 will make you agree that it is definitely round. The overall poly count in modern games for this barrel might not be all that much higher because you get into diminishing returns. Instead you use better textures and more complex shaders to make it look more realistic.

Looked at some BotW screenshots and it seems they went with 16 faces for the barrels. You can see that they aren't properly round and are a bit angular, but for a minor prop object that is alright considering the hardware and the way they decided to put that poly budget into modeling the rims surrounding the barrel so it looks more 3-dimensional.

400px-BreathoftheWildBarrel.jpg

Same deal for character models. Face, shoulders, arm and knee joints need more polys to properly deform but the rest of the arms and legs can be simple. Today's hardware is pretty good at pushing polygons though so developers don't have to optimize models that much. We are finally at a point where most secondary NPCs also look pretty good whereas in the past there was often a huge discrepancy between main characters and NPCs.

Most main playable character models this gen are around the 100k mark. If one looks dramatically better than another it's clever texturing or more talented artists.

Is this true? Her in-game hair doesn't look like 100k polygons good as that's roughly the same count as Lara's hair in RoTR but Lara's hair is way rounder when moving.

I think the problem with Aloy's hair is that the aliasing is bad so it doesn't look that smooth.

Maybe it's not a problem on Pro version but that's coming from my experience from PS4 Amateur.

Snefer

Sigh.

I really wish the "better graphics are (monetarily) expensive!" myth would die already.

Its not a myth at all. It is true that creating the highpoly-models in theory could be a static cost(it is not, however), but depending on what kind of asset you are doing, the lowpoly will take more time. For example, if you are making the lowpoly model for a rock, its very fast today, because you can more or less automate that process. Making a lowpoly for say a generator today will take much longer, because where a few years ago it would be a model of say a few thousand polygons (basically a merged blob och basic shapes) you now can spend tens of thousands on it, and all those pieces need to be created, even if each part is not time consuming, the grand total of time does go up. Highpoly modelling times also vary alot, the quality of highpoly models have been rising drastically, and the way you build them change with the way you build the lowpoly aswell. The time spent on shaders is also increasing. In fact, better graphics is more expensive in almost every way. There are lots and lots of ways that the process has improved over the years, of course, otherwise the costs would be astronomical. But costs DO rise. (been working with 3d for many many years, so not tales from my ass)

HeelPower

Yeah, that was once. Fighters somehow dropped the ball regarding the most polished character models. Injustice 2's character models look great however, but they also don't come close to what games like Horizon Zero Dawn are doing.

I'll throw in Arkham Knight Batman. No hair, which always eats lotsa polygons, but the suit is extremely detailed, with lots of moving parts and there are probably tens of thousands polygons in the cape:

27606499255_9fe688e1fc_o.png

27506147172_020dee41b0_o.png

26995426254_15d6dd63df_o.png

26995421794_ff4dff0d83_o.png

This game is absolutely ridiculous visually.

Its so under-praised. Was the game really that much of a disappointment ? It hardly gets recognized. It looks like the ultimate realization of Batman.

Maxey

Its so under-praised. Was the game really that much of a disappointment ? It hardly gets recognized. It looks like the ultimate realization of Batman.
Frustrating Batmobile sections affected the game's pacing. It also didn't too much different from previous entries to truly stand out from the pack.

It did look hella good tho.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Aloy is almost certainly correct.

Edit: Assuming we're talking about "in-game" as in controllable, not realtime cutscene models.

pottuvoi

Banned
Yeah I don't believe you. UC4 cutscene character models under 100k? Really?
Joel in Last of Us was ~>40k polygons and according Naughty Dog UC4 used ~2x as much for characters.
So my guess is up to low 100k characters, at most.

Guys at Naughty Dog really know how to make do with the budget they have set for themselves.

Gurish

Dunno but here are the numbers for previous Link models for reference.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, GC, 2002
Link - 2800 polygons

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, GC/Wii, 2006
Link - 6900 polygons

Source: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/yes-but-how-many-polygons-an-artist-blog-entry-with-interesting-numbers.39321/

I can't see Link's BOTW model being much higher than that, seems pretty basic.

And yeah Batman definitely deserves a mention here, what a stunning looking game, still top 5 visually even though it's pretty old, maybe the first genuine "wow moment" for me this gen.

ChazGW7

Yeah that's a complete waste of resources.

It's a tech demo...

Joel in Last of Us was ~>40k polygons and according Naughty Dog UC4 used ~2x as much for characters.
So my guess is up to low 100k characters, at most.

Guys at Naughty Dog really know how to make do with the budget they have set for themselves.

Thats insane. I know ND are wizards but the thought of Nathans high-poly model being only around 100k astounds me.

shandy706

Thats insane. I know ND are wizards but the thought of Nathans high-poly model being only around 100k astounds me.

I think some people mistake texture detail/material quality for "polycount". You can have lower poly models with incredible texturing/materials. ND are incredibly good at their texture/material work.

It's how they pull sometimes unbelievable real time visuals out of their hardware. It looks like it shouldn't be possible, but their lighting/material/texture work is simply incredible. They remind me of RARE on the N64. Their games tend to look better than nearly anything else coming out on the hardware at each release.

I don't think that model is actually very high poly-count wise. Again, lots of sharp angles there...and not completely round edges. Great texture work though.

KKRT00

Safe guess would be Nathan.
Other guesses are Marius , Aloy, Galahad.

Main characters do not have the highest polys in many games.Bosses have more in general or other characters. It depends on their outfit details.

In Ryse i think it was the Oswald (Boudica father) that had the highest poly count - 130k or 140k where Marius had around 80k.

Lara from Rise of the Tomb Raider has about 200k - https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...nteresting-numbers.39321/page-87#post-1935698

I think that tessellated characters in LOD0 in some Metro games had like 500-600k polys or even more.

I the end its about how you use those polys and combine them with shaders like PoM to create detail.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

People suck at the Batmobile/tank sections, so they dismiss the entire game. It's a great, great game.

(I do agree that there were a few too many sections like that, and one or two of them were annoying, but overall I didn't really mind them at all.)

Hux1ey

Banned
Wow how the tables have turned, 10 years ago this thread would be full of people saying PC games, now it's almost all console games.

Top Bottom