• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which character model is currently using the most polygons?

Pandy

Aloy is almost certainly correct.

Edit: Assuming we're talking about "in-game" as in controllable, not realtime cutscene models.

But surely that hi-detail model for Aloy being discussed is just the cutscene/conversation model. The normal gameplay model is probably still decent, but there's an obvious difference between the two.

But surely that hi-detail model for Aloy being discussed is just the cutscene/conversation model. The normal gameplay model is probably still decent, but there's an obvious difference between the two.

Yeah, there's no way the PS4 is pushing 400k triangles per character model in an open world.

KKRT00

Wow how the tables have turned, 10 years ago this thread would be full of people saying PC games, now it's almost all console games.

Most games here are multiplatform.
And generally PC games for last few years focused more on scale than on high fidelity character models due to different budget priorities.

Fliesen

I don't think this is possible. It'd be interesting to hear what an actual dev with polygon/character design experience had to say about it. I expect a game like Arkham Asylum has tens if not hundreds of millions of polygons in the whole thing, while the Batman model in Arkham Knight probably doesn't have more than a few hundred thousand.

"As we kept going with every character we just pushed it more. It's the kind of thing that sounds insane. Like one character is as big as the polygon count of Arkham Asylum, the whole environment."

so it's certainly not the whole game.
and likely not including any 'non map-geometry assets'

Bold One

While my expertise is mostly in the virtual Ubisoft brand vaginas, I can hopefully shed some light on this issue.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...n-of-2b-by-nier-automatas-character-modeller/

This blog gives a rough estimation of 100,000 polys for PS4 character models which we can assume includes 2B.

suUKle5.jpg

From this concept art I estimate 2B's lower waist area to be around 20% of her total person. We must then estimate that around 2/3 of this area are the backside and constitute as pure butt. From these calculations we arrive at 13.33% for the rear endeture of the android known as 2B and can then conclude that 13.33% of 100,000 is 13,300 polygons.

That hip/waist ratio is too absurd for me to take seriously.
rough1.png

nOoblet16

Armoured characters or characters with lots of layers/accessories would usually have higher poly count than a T-shirt dude like Drake. Female models will also usually have higher poly count than males due to hair and well....boobs.

I'd say the highest has to be between Aloy, Batman and Lara Croft.

Aloy's Hair only using 100k polygons, so she should be Around 600K-700k Polygons, Just an Estimate though, but hair thing is confirmed.Talking About Horizon zero dawn in case anyone don't know Aloy .
100K for hair that is stiffer than Lara's hair is a bit much but then again her hair has a lot more volume than Lara.

Tyaren

I don't know if it's true, but at some point, Tecmo was bragging that Ayane in NG3:RE set a record for polygons in a character model.

That's true. Ayane plus costume was made up of 90k polygons, which was insane back then. Team Ninja games are in general known for their high polygon character models. Just look at the DOA girls. They still look great. Costumes like Kasumi's black storymode suit are made of 60k polygons.

nOoblet16

That's true. Ayane plus costume was made up of 90k polygons, which was insane back then. Team Ninja games are in general known for their high polygon character models. Just look at the DOA girls. They still look great. Costumes like Kasumi's black storymode suit are made of 60k polygons.
Actually some of Ayane's costume equipment combo can take her around 111K...which is a ridiculous amount for a human character model from PS360 era.

Yeah that's a complete waste of resources.

Yes, this is a complete waste of resources. It is not necessary to create a character with 11 million polygons to impress if today there are already techniques such as photogrammetry or simply the good art work with textures in high definition.

If the PS5 is able to duplicate the polygonal count of the characters of the current generation and add beautiful textures the final result can be aesthetically very close to this Tech Demo. Without the use of so many resources. And yet I do not find these graphics so impressive.

I hope to see more realistic things in the next generation.

DonF

When this question comes, I always wonder what was the entire poly count of a ps1-2 game. Like some current models could easily contain as much polygons as an entire ps1 game.

nowhat

When this question comes, I always wonder what was the entire poly count of a ps1-2 game. Like some current models could easily contain as much polygons as an entire ps1 game.
Do correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the design of original Crash on PS1 partially due to the fact that it could look "expressive" (for lack of a better word) with very few polygons? There was a series of interviews with the original ND founders somewhere, but I can't be arsed to look it up at the moment.

Filben

Yup

XT5iCVg.jpg

Next next (next?) gen can't come soon enough.
I think the hardware demand and visual ratio isn't quite good, when I compare this to UC4. Of course this model here looks very detailed, but thinking of the rendering power needed it seems to be overkill and not very efficient.

pottuvoi

Banned
550K.
It must be the highest in any game right now.
It's large and has lots of parts, so it's possible to have different LoDs for different parts, allowing very high quality for closeups.

I'm quite sure they never have the whole thing at LoD0 or it's very rare.

Last edited:
Top Bottom