• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which color was the most iconic for the Game Boy Color?

This got me looking at replacement shells. The kits are only $20 and have everything. I might buy one since my screen is all scratchy.

Hu3

Neo Member
had the green one. the swapped with a friend for purple one, afterwards bought the purple advance too.

dawgparty

It's that or this one:

411KmxItwaL.jpg

Definitely Green for me, but that's the one I had. I saw a TON of the clear Purple, though

Van Bur3n

The fuck, y'all. I thought when we were all saying purple we were talking about solid purple. Not that see through shit.

Broke my heart.

Gonna post the red one only because literally no one else has

41YYU2hRttL.jpg

I actually do think of atomic purple first, but I’ve always wanted this one:

GBC_SYSTEM_GOLD_Pokemon.jpg

SirNinja

Purple, no contest. Both solid and see-through.

Opaque purple is used by Nintendo for Virtual Console and in most ads for GBC games. Meanwhile, is there anything that screams "90s handheld gaming" more than the translucent purple one?

PlatStrat

Neo Member
Man, I was so embarrassed to get this for Christmas. I ended up covering it in black electrical tape at some point because I didn't want to be seen holding a Pokemon GameBoy.

RIP see through OG GameBoy.

Are you kidding? I loved my Pokemon Yellow GBC. I thought that was the best looking one. I agree with the consensus though that Atomic Purple is the "definitive" color.

Majine

Banned
I had the normal purple one, my friend had the limegreen one that looked so much better.

We exchanged Pokémons via that cable thing, and somehow he lost his save file during that and didn't speak to me for like 2 weeks.

Solid Purple in my opinion.
Was there a regional difference in the default colours? As in, did Japan favour teal more, America favour Atomic Purple etc.?

psyfi

Banned
First one I thought of was lime green, which is weird because I never had one? It's definitely the solid purple one though, followed closely by the transparent purple (which is the one I had). I remember the GBC was my first time ever being truly impressed by how attractive a device could be, though in retrospect I was just too young to fully appreciate the aesthetically superior Game Boy Pocket.

Ryan_09

I love my yellow one, but everyone else I grew up with had atomic purple.

I also had an "extreme green" see-through Game Boy Pocket. Played a ton of Mario Land, Wario Land, and Tetris. ^-^

Olinad

Neo Member
At launch they only had atomic purple and purple, at least in Europe. All other colors (and the Pokèmon yellow version) came out slightly after.

Had the Turquoise one... Loved the GBC overall. I spent many hours playing Metal Gear Solid and Super Mario Bros. Dekuxe on mine.

Top Bottom