• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which console do you most regret not owning at the time?

Zannegan

We switched console makers just about every generation, so I missed out on the SNES, PS1, and Gamecube/XBox in their heyday. Of those, the SNES is probably the biggest loss. The 16-bit era is where gaming hit its stride, IMO.

Currently I'd like to build or buy a nice, beefy PC, but they're always extra expensive in Japan, and prices are especially crazy right now.

DaGwaphics

video games virtual boy GIF

Sight is overrated anyway!

Bar81

Sega Saturn. If only I would have done some research on the Japanese gaming scene I would have not missed years of being able to play amazing shmups. The US lineup was garbage comparatively despite some classics.

Griffon

When I was young I wanted a gaming PC for years.

Right now I regret not getting the Switch on release. And now that I waited so much on it, I'm stuck waiting for a Switch Pro/2.

Codes 208

I’d say the genesis. My mom had a SNES and my dad had a sega (they divorced when I was a toddler so I’d rarely get to play the genesis.)

Fredrik

Sega Megadrive
I has the SNES and a friend had a MD, I never stopped wishing I could play Shinobi 3, one of the absolute best action games from that era.

GamesAreFun

Banned
I've never regretted the choice I made, but always wanted to own all the consoles for each generation for the exclusives you otherwise miss.

Owned a PS2 & Gamecube, but the Xbox & Dreamcast had some amazing games too.

I really did not like the shift from 2D to 3D and pretty much skipped the entire 1st 3D generation as a result. If I had to go back I would have liked to have a Playstation or failing that an N64.

Excess

PS2.

I went away to a boarding school when it launched in 2000, so I was no longer gaming. When I finished about four years later, I bought a 360 because my last console was a Dreamcast. At the time, I considered the Xbox brand as a spiritual continuation of Sega consoles with Peter Moore at the helm.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The switch. I refused to buy it and played BoTW on WiiU. I got one 3-4 months later. Other than that I owned most consoles that were worth it and some that were a waste.

xrnzaaas

PS3. And I've missed out on a few great exclusives which weren't remastered for the PS4. Sure I could buy a used one now, but with my current backlog it wouldn't be a wise decision. ;)

Arkam

3DO (the Panasonic version)..... I use to go to good guys electronics to play the demo unit. Always wanted one, but they were so expensive and I didn't have that kind of money.

Old Retro

I had all the major consoles of the time. Only regret is getting some of them a year or so after their release - NES in 87, SNES in 93, Dreamcast in 2001, PSX and Saturn in 96...

Regret not owning at the time?

LOL my only regret was being a broke teen during the housing market collapse. If I didn't own one then that mean I would have been a broke student or jobless with no experience at the time.
I'm looking to get a few DS/3DS systems I'd like to repair and get a collection for.

For me it's the PS2. In 99-01 I was a broke college student, and I chose to buy a Dreamcast as it launched earlier and I loved a bunch of the sega games. Then in 2001 I took off and lived in China for the next 7 years. I never did buy a PS2. When I came back in 2008 I got both a PS3 and Xbox 360 and spent the next few years playing those. I have never really played any of PS2's best games unless they were rereleased later.....

Dream-Knife

Banned
I’d say PS2, but I wasn’t an RPG fan so I don’t know how big of a change that would make. I had a GC and Xbox that gen.
I’d also loved to have had an SNES when it was relevant, but I was a real little kid and my family was poor.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Edit: I miss understood the thread.

OT: Gameboy Advance.

Last edited:
GCN. It's the only mainstream console I didn't own. I've still never owned one, since the Wii played GCN games.

I am still yet to play Metroid Prime as a result. Waiting on that Switch triology.

cortadew

The Ps2, I bought the Gamecube (great console too) because most of my friends in school back in those days were Nintendo fans, currently as an adult I played most ps2 games (2 of them made me cry that's a really hard thing to do for me) and I must say I missed a wonderful console.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Any Gameboy.

I got a little portable Tetris machine for free with my Dreamcast, and I was totally addicted to it.

I could've gotten a GBC, or GBA at the time, and I know I'd totally love them. But the DS Lite was my first real handheld console, and it was a wonderful time. I just know I would have enjoyed a GB even more, when they were it.

Probably the Vita, or 3DS. There's a lot of games in both systems I probably would have liked to play at the time. Now I don't think I could handle the lower resolution.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Dreamcast. I of course wanted it (it had Sonic!), but I was young and did not have enough money for it unless I'd have skipped the GameCube, which wasn't an option. Then again I got the Dreamcast very cheap around the time I got my GameCube (launch day).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
That’s a horrible mindset if you know what I mean, buying a console is a big decision and I was upset not getting a Wii at launch.

locoghoul

Neo Member
I did own a PS2 in its prime but didnt play a bunch of games I wish I had back then like Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy. Instead I played Tekken CvS2 and 3S (I like fighting games)

YukiOnna

Playstation 2. I chose Xbox at the time and regretted it cause all I got for Xbox was Halo, lol. Thankfully rectified that eventually, but all my apartment friends had a PS2...

NeonDelta

I wish I had bought a One X instead of a One S. Had the money but decided to get a one S as was going to mainly use it as a 4k bluray player.

Mister Wolf

Ending up with a Genesis instead of an SNES is my biggest fail. I also picked a Sega Saturn over getting a Playstation.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Things were different, so I had zero regrets about not owning any particular console, but I do think the Nintendo 3DS library is pretty cool. Really hoping Nintendo can somehow bring the entire gameboy library to the Nintendo Switch one day. That would be glorious having games from the GB days all the way to the 3DS available to play on Switch

Calverz

Sega saturn. Thought it was so cool looking. Still looks cool. Never knew anyone who had one. Getting one now seems a wast of time.

Top Bottom