• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Did You Like More, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided or Dishonored 2?

I wasn't impressed by either but Dishonored 2 wins out. Overall I think the minute to minute is better in it. Story wise they both fell short, but I think the acting was better in Dishonored. The levels in Dishonored were way better than Prague. It gave Dishonored the variety that Dues Ex desperately needed.

All in all, both were failures to me. The novelties of the first game wore thin and I was left with two dull stories that either retread or didn't inspire. I guess Dishonored 2 can take solace in being the better failure.

Timeaisis

Both fantastic games. I enjoyed Dishonored 2 more for it's experimental gameplay, sublime level design and really great art direction. Deus Ex has a great story, RPG mechanics, and quests though. They are each very awesome games in the immersive sim genre, but different.

I think Dishonored is more "level" in it's goodness. Like it's almost always good, and just keeps getting better. Mankind Divided is great, but some sections are noticeably not as high quality as others. But
Golem City
is so good, and I really do love the small, intimate "open block" of Prague. I hope more open world games go this route, I think it's ripe for experimentation and improvement.

I wasn't impressed by either but Dishonored 2 wins out. Overall I think the minute to minute is better in it. Story wise they both fell short, but I think the acting was better in Dishonored. The levels in Dishonored were way better than Prague. It gave Dishonored the variety that Dues Ex desperately needed.

All in all, both were failures to me. The novelties of the first game wore thin and I was left with two dull stories that either retread or didn't inspire. I guess Dishonored 2 can take solace in being the better failure.

Personally, if you are playing an Arkane game for the story, you're gonna have a bad time.

Back on topic, I'll go with Dishonored 2. I managed to finish it 2 times (Unlike MD) and the level design is much superior (Its always vents, vents, vents in MD).

Also, Dishonored 2 iterated and improved on the first game's formula while MD addressed little with its predecessor's issues.

Regginator

Speaking of Dishonored 2, you can now download a demo on Steam (I assume consoles as well).

Haven't played D2 yet, but I did play Deus Ex MD and it was an amazing game in terms of level design, atmosphere, soundtrack and game mechanics, bot the narrative aspects (main story, characters, etc.) were pretty bad.

Personally, if you are playing an Arkane game for the story, you're gonna have a bad time.

They've only made two games since their acquisition by Zenimax. I was hoping they would try to improve over the last game. Especially since that was a major complaint with the first game. At the very least, I was expecting something different. Instead they made a narrative too similar to the first, and a world that felt felt less reactive, outside of the minute to minute gameplay, with characters less interesting than the firsts.

Yes, the level design and gameplay are great. No, it isn't a bad game (7-8/10 to D1's 9-9.5/10), but that wasn't enough to capture what made the first fantastic. Which is a shame.

I didn't love either of them, but I'd probably give Deus Ex a slight edge since it didn't run like complete garbage.

I also really didn't like the changes they made to the Dishonored art style and also felt the city levels you play between the actual missions became tedious. Deus Ex had some great art, I'll give it that.

Scipio

Dishonored 2 is much, much better. Gameplay is a lot more engaging, the levels are more varies, the characters more interesting, the story is better, the pacing is immaculate.

Dropped DE:MD after 5 hours, after a lot of hype about the game and with Human Revolution being one of my favourite games of last generation (and being better than the original Dishonored)

tariniel

I recently tried to play Mankind Divided and had absolutely zero fun with it, in fact I stopped playing it after an hour. I was surprised because I remember really loving Human Revolution, it was one of my favorite games of the year it came out. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood? I might try it again sometime.

I remember playing stealth, and I was just really bothered by having a limited number of melee take downs because of energy; in stealth games I really like to sneak up on people and do non-lethal takedowns as much as possible. I don't remember if that same mechanic was in Human Revolution or not. Is it better to play lethal in MD?

Vic_Viper

Played both, but that being said I dropped Dishonored 2 more than half way in. Deus Ex Mankind Divided is the better game imo.

Dishonored 2 felt like just a rerelease of the original with new maps and a new playable character. It didnt have the awesome setting and atmosphere that the original had, or rather it just felt like more of the same. I was expecting way more than what I got with the game.

Deus Ex MD felt like an entirely new adventure featuring Adam Jenson. Yea it was disappointing that all we got was Prauge and 2 small additional areas. But the story was worth it and kept me wanting to keep playing. The changes made since Human Revolution were perfect. The new controls and UI were great, but the new abilities did feel a bit worthless.

Between the 2, Deus Ex Mankind Divided is the one I recommend for anyone looking for a stealth game with an awesome story. Especially since were not getting more Metal Gear!

jacobeid

Banned
I played all of Dishonored 2 but couldn't make it past the first thirty minutes of Deus Ex despite liking HR. Says it all right there.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Dishonoured 2 controlled infinitely better and had way more freedom with movement and had much more incentive to explore and be creative

But Deus Ex has the much better world. But dishonoured 2 wins by a country mile. Then again I haven't finished Deus Ex but control are what matter the most to me in these kind of games and dishonoured nails it

Top Bottom