• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which DualSense™ or DUAL SHOCK 4™ features should Xbox use in their next controller iteration?

Which DualSense™ or DUAL SHOCK 4™ features should Xbox use in their next controller iteration?

• Total voters

SamFo

Thought it might be interesting to see which of the features that Sony is building into their controllers that people think Xbox should adopt. Happy voting!

EDIT: Realized I did not include built-in battery - lets assume that would have been the big winner.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Y'all should not want anything that'll give you shit battery life lol. If the new controller works well with PS4 and the battery life is improved I'm buying one to replace it.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Gyro and internal battery, the battery on the Elite 2 controller is pretty good so anything like that would be great.

No built-in Battery? We need a mod to get in here and fix this heresy.

Next: Built in Speaker. With the built-in speaker™ we are giving voice to the voiceless™. Social gaming is finally within global mass reach.

Last edited:
I went through 6 different DualShocks 4 thanks to the shit build quality. So absolutely nothing. Worst controller I've ever used. Deeply hoping DualSense is better. I love the Xbox controller I think it's best in the industry but that's my personal preference.

Touchpad is probably the only good thing I liked from the DualShock 4 but that's about it.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Ditto.

I go buy a $10 battery pack and consistently get 30-36 hours of battery life before setting them on a charger and they're good in 5-6 hours.
The nice thing about eneloop is you buy a four pack (plus the charge) and youre set for years. Takes forever for those these to die out completely.

but thats the nice thing: options! And you’re not stuck with a never-to-be removed battery that when it finally dies so doe the controller.

Last edited:
I vote for the touch pad but instead of having it on the front Xbox can put it on the rear of the controller and actually make it useful for scrolling and like texting the words like you do on android with swipe gesture that would be cool.

I vote for the touch pad but instead of having it on the front Xbox can put it on the rear of the controller and actually make it useful for scrolling and like texting the words like you do on android with swipe gesture that would be cool.
Why the rear?

Would that not be best reserved for paddles? You have all that real estate on the front if the Xbox controller between the two grips. Why waste it by throwing a touchpad on the back?

Why the rear?

Would that not be best reserved for paddles? You have all that real estate on the front if the Xbox controller between the two grips. Why waste it by throwing a touchpad on the back?
There is already a offical elite Controller from Xbox that has paddles on the Back and the back of the standard xbox controller has alot of room to put the touchpad there.

Improved rumble, adaptive triggers, those are pretty cool and I'd like to have them. But gyro is #1 by miles and miles.

And absolutely not any built in batteries.

Gravemind

Uhm, nothing actually. I dont want any of that stuff in my controllers. If I absolutely had to pick from that list though, I guess it would be adaptive triggers.

No built-in Battery? We need a mod to get in here and fix this heresy.

Next: Built in Speaker. With the built-in speaker™ we are giving voice to the voiceless™. Social gaming is finally within global mass reach.

Why would anybody in their right mind elect for a built in battery when they can just pop a rechargeable battery pack in and out whenever they want?

Dualshock 4: Battery dies? Better get out the usb cable and tether yourself to the PS4 like its 2001.

Xbox Controller: Battery dies? Pop in a fully charged pack, or worst case throw in a couple AAs while your pack recharges.

If Sony was smart they would make it so you could swap out the battery in the DualSense for a fully charged one. The last thing I want to do is plug in a wireless controller to be able to play.

Last edited:

Boxman

Banned
Haptic feedback and the gyroscope. I don't think people are ready to realise how outdated rumble is going to be when the PS5 hits stores. For comparison, the iPhone 7 had haptic feedback whereas the iPhone 6 had a vibrating motor. The change was night and day.

As for motion sensing, gyro aiming is going to be big next gen thanks to consoles like the Nintendo Switch making it ubiquitous. Once again the Xbox controller is outdated with that regard. Xbox could have at least innovated and placed both thumbtacks at the top to make it better for third-person and first-person shooters, but they instead opted out to play it safe. I would have loved the controller from Microsoft to take inspiration from the Wii U controller:

0kZFbw1.jpg

bitbydeath

the xbox controller already has haptic feedback. (Specifically the impulse triggers) and it sounds like the SX is already improving on that.

Haptic feedback isn’t trigger related. It’s a sense felt through the controllers casing.

Eg. On an iPhone it’s the plastic that feels like a button when you push it. But when you turn your phone off you realise it doesn’t budge at all.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Batteries are a good option. I don't get the hate. It means you don't have to plug your controller in for however long to charge. You can put a fresh set of batteries in in like 2 seconds and you're fully charged again.

You also have the option to use a charge kit if you want.

The battery life in the PS4 pad is absolutely terrible anyway. It's nothing to shout about.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing really. The only thing that might be interesting is the adaptive triggers (xbox already has haptic feedback), but that needs to be properly implemented by developers then. The rest are just gimmicks.

cormack12

Gold Member
Touchpad became a map button.
I generally turn off rumble as it's annoying
I like the idea of haptic feedback but will probably keep that limited to other games
In-built mic, nope. Ill be using a proper headset when needed. Just like the speaker on the DS4
Motion control or gyro - Need to see how it's implemented. Generally this is a dev thing for me
Light bar, No.

So pretty hardly any. Haptic might convert me

Jubenhimer

Motion is an absolute must if Xbox wants to be taken seriously for shooters again. I wouldn't mind seeing the Touchpad and Adaptive Triggers implemented either.

GymWolf

The already have the best feature for a gamepad that automatically puts them above any sony controller, non-symmetrical sticks.

Gimme that and you can keep for you any dildo vibrating triggers or useless touchpad.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
None, but I'll take a basic dual shock controller w/ off-set joysticks. Trumps everything else, no pun intended.

dl77

In this day and age it seems crazy to me that MS are likely going to have a next-gen system without a gyro enabled controller.

Personally I don't use it (yet) but there's a demand that's growing every day and I struggle to see why they don't offer that functionality as even as a non-user I can see the clear benefits that it brings.

VertigoOA

Banned
Symmetrical sticks are fine. Problem with DS4 is that they’re not as comfortable so low, close together and centered on the gamepad. They should be in the primary position like the Wii U pro controller. We barely use d-pads anymore... so it doesn’t need to be in the primary neutral thumb position... whatever... The Ps5 controller won’t add a thing to gaming aside from clumsy gyro nonsense.

Last edited:

Rac3r

I went through 6 different DualShocks 4 thanks to the shit build quality. So absolutely nothing. Worst controller I've ever used. Deeply hoping DualSense is better. I love the Xbox controller I think it's best in the industry but that's my personal preference.

Touchpad is probably the only good thing I liked from the DualShock 4 but that's about it.

Lol wut? Did you actually break them or were they just worn out? If you actually broke 6 DualShocks then you probably don’t own an Xbox, or you hold your controller like a maniac.

I would agree that the overall build quality of the X1 controller feels sturdier than the DS4, but X1 controllers still have major stick drift issues (so much so that a class action lawsuit was filed against Microsoft). I’ve never had a mechanical issue with the DS4, they just feel shitty after months of use.

Honestly, none.

Make the controller durable, long battery life, low latency etc. no gimmicks.

The Problem with those extra features is that devs wouldn't make much use of it, so basically they consume battery, they make the price higher of the controller and for that? For a few first party titles or a few launch games? No, thanks. It's a waste.

Matt_Fox

Mappable rear paddles - would be the one best addition to any controller, allowing for more game inputs and aiding titles that require a bit more complexity (such as being able to hotkey health potions in Skyrim, or being able to play Red Dead Redemption 2 without having to go into the bloody menu every five minutes).

Top Bottom