• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which edition of Watch Dogs are you buying? Here's a spreadsheet to help you out..

Keirnoth

Banned
This is like Microsoft and their stupid Windows Vista/7 editions.

For fucks sake Ubisoft, what's so hard about just releasing a Standard and LE/Collector's Edition and being done with it?

This is like Microsoft and their stupid Windows Vista/7 editions.

For fucks sake Ubisoft, what's so hard about just releasing a Standard and LE/Collector's Edition and being done with it?
It isn't really like that though, Microsoft have a version for basic users, a version for slightly more inept people, and then a version for people who are advanced. They have to pay to develop those features, so it makes sense to do it the way they do, this on the other hand is a joke.

If I ever pick this game up it will be on the cheap.

Novak

I was excited for this game and planned to get xb1 or pc version (depending how good MP is and my friends are on xb1)....but now that i see there is season pass, multiple editions,....i will try to wait for a sale....i will try :/

Bricky

Ubisoft really needs to cut down on all the damn special editions. They have like a minimum of 3 even for smaller releases. Just insane.

At least PC-gamers are lucky enough to often get Digital Deluxe editions which include pretty much everything content-wise.

E: Well, except the Season Pass DLC, but that makes sense since that will be more than just a simple mission (that is to say; it should be).

Nugg

I get that it's confusing and really shitty from Ubisoft to have that many editions for a single game, but I don't get the complaints of people saying that it's impossible to enjoy all the content. It seems that with any Playstation edition (and some PC) + season pass, you get everything. Of course the season pass debate applies, but that's hardly an Ubi only issue.

This is of course ignoring all the physical stuff. I'm only talking about game content.

Reszo

Regular edition like every other game lol. Don't need all that extra junk in my room that comes with limited and collector editions.

El-Suave

Ubisoft has some of the better Limited Editions. I'm a sucker for the big Assassin's Creed versions and most of the time I feel there's enough value there for my money. That they're going overboard across all the regions is true though, but I guess that's a side effect of them running multiple shops on the side. They have a store where you can buy Pierce's hat and scarf already, so I guess packing them in is just a small step.

That spreadsheet pretty much confirms I'll be picking up Watch Dogs 3-6 months late or wait for the holiday all DLC on disc version.

123rl

So stupid. I refuse to pay extra for day one dlc and I refuse to pay extra to buy from a specific retailer. I know a load of this is exclusive to Game in the UK and I'd rather shave my balls and dip them in lemon juice than buy from Game

Daffy Duck

I was buying the Deadsec edition purely because of all the content it gave (additional three DLC's) however, Ubisoft snatched that sale away from themselves with announcing the season pass which has those DLC's included and also additional content not in the Deadsec edition.

A real dumb move. So I am getting the standard edition and the season pass.

So stupid. I refuse to pay extra for day one dlc and I refuse to pay extra to buy from a specific retailer. I know a load of this is exclusive to Game in the UK and I'd rather shave my balls and dip them in lemon juice than buy from Game

I feel that way too, I hate how they get the monopoly on all the extras/pre order bonuses available. I wish someone else would come in and challenge them.

kudoboi

why is everyone going crazy over this? there were many other games that had a similar amount of editions EG: SR4 and nobody said anything

Saints row 4 had the
Standard edition
Empror Zinyak Game of the generation edition
super dangerous wub wub edition
presidential edition
commander in chief edition
platinum edition
Season Pass

123rl

I was buying the Deadsec edition purely because of all the content it gave (additional three DLC's) however, Ubisoft snatched that sale away from themselves with announcing the season pass which has those DLC's included and also additional content not in the Deadsec edition.

A real dumb move. So I am getting the standard edition and the season pass

Hmm. I don't normally buy Season passes but that doesn't sound too bad. The pass is £16 so I can wait. The game will drop to £35 in a few weeks anyway

86790-what-the-fuck-is-that-gif-Imgu-Cn5F.gif

Caayn

I feel that way too, I hate how they get the monopoly on all the extras/pre order bonuses available. I wish someone else would come in and challenge them.
Come in and challenge them? Why not stop this money grabbing pre-order content in the first place? Having another store competing will only result in an even more fractured game.

Morat

Banned
It's a minor point in the overall horror of that spreadsheet, but I love the mention of Aiden Pearce's Iconic Hat. This is a thing which has not even appeared yet. Iconic?

Fuz

Banned
Reading the comments on fb to the kotaku's article and... oh, god.

We're fucked.

Consumers have less and less rights day after day, and there's only us to blame.

It is easier to not buy any version.
That's my stance.
But it kinda feels like I'm the only one who believes in voting with your wallet.

Keirnoth

Banned
You know what's the really ironic part about all this?

In the end, other than the physical tat and the console-exclusive content, the people who actually would be able to ge the most easy access to the content would be pirates.

I got the special edition free when buying a new GPU.

I like quite a lot of Ubisoft's games, but I wish Uplay would go away and the number of different versions of this game is just silly. Why not just make 1 version of the game where everybody gets all of the content? I suppose that's too much to ask these days.

Daffy Duck

Come in and challenge them? Why not stop this money grabbing pre-order content in the first place? Having another store competing will only result in an even more fractured game.

I said that because we both know the practice of pre-order content isn't going anywhere. I would love it if it did.

Jb

The good news is all the special edition DLC bullshit sounds completely unnecessary and uninteresting. I'm trying to think of DLC for a Ubisoft game that was ever actually worth it and totally blanking.
Barebones retail copy it'll be for me.

Striek

Looks no different to most major releases tbh.

Take away all the different (edit: physical) preorder bonuses in different regions (which has been going on for decades) and it basically boils down to a (indubitably worthless) single PS exclusive mission and season pass DLC.

Faux outrage. Couldn't be less worthy of attention.

gloriousd

Neo Member
Oh Ubi...

Seriously, all this weird stuff concerning this game does not bode well.

I'll wait for reviews before deciding which version to buy
rent

Paganmoon

Per the chart, the Limited Edition version gets zero extra in-game content. You're shelling out $69.99 on top of the game's retail price for mass produced physical crap that's literally going to sit on a shelf and collect dust after you've looked at it once. $69.99 for a statue, flimsy mask, metal disk case, soundtrack CD, and a half-assed art book? I'm not even going to count the "collector's box" since there's nothing special about a freakin' cardboard box (unless you're Solid Snake or a cat).

Since nothing in this version enhances the game you're buying, do you really need all of this extra dust-catching shit? Since they're going to manufacture a metric fuckton of these, they won't really be "limited". When you get tired of all this plastic crap sitting around taking space you won't get much for it because there will still be lots of them out there for anyone who wants them. Right now on Amazon, I can buy sealed, new, copies of GOW3 Epic Edition (X360) and Skyrim Collector's Edition (PS3) for under their original MSRP.

That's $69.99 you could used to buy a complete other game. Conversely, you could take a third of that and buy the Season Pass and ensure you actually get more content for the game.

To each their own, I like the "mass produced physical crap" over the "extra skin! wooo". Aiden statue will look good in my collection.

We get choice, there is no ultimate experience, the DLC's are side missions, not required.
Why is choice a bad thing? The people who want fluff or "physical crap" get it, the people who don't want fluff get standard edition, the people who want "ingame crap" but nothing physical get that edition.

why is everyone going crazy over this? there were many other games that had a similar amount of editions EG: SR4 and nobody said anything

Saints row 4 had the
Standard edition
Empror Zinyak Game of the generation edition
super dangerous wub wub edition
presidential edition
commander in chief edition
platinum edition
Season Pass

Also, this, Uncharted 3 had many editions as well, so did TLoU, so did pretty much every AAA game in the past few years, stop acting like this is new.

Watch_dogs really is the new game to pick on here at Neogaf...

Top Bottom