• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which edition of Watch Dogs are you buying? Here's a spreadsheet to help you out..

R_Deckard

6nZIPjb.jpg

Ha Ha!! Quality

I have the £19 Uplay PC version coming.

Full Season Pass on PS4 picked this up for £41

That list is plane crazy!

Rubius

It seem a little dishonest to put physical bonuses like statues and all that in the edition package. And Season pass is hardly a game version but at least it shows what will be included. Weird that the Season pass is the only thing that do not have the White Hat Pack.

Also, this, Uncharted 3 had many editions as well, so did TLoU, so did pretty much every AAA game in the past few years, stop acting like this is new.

TLoU had two special editions where the content was the same but just a Joel or an Ellie version.

The difference appears to be pictures on packaging, on a PS3 controller skin and on a screen print effect poster.

"But how long until games start segregating major characters or important sequences between editions, with the explicit implication that you're meant to buy multiple copies of the game, like some form of expensive digital gashapon?"

Like how Bioware took one of the most important characters in Mass Effect 3
(The Prothean Javik)
out of the game and sold it as DLC on day one/put it in the collectors edition?

-PXG-

I get that it's confusing and really shitty from Ubisoft to have that many editions for a single game, but I don't get the complaints of people saying that it's impossible to enjoy all the content. It seems that with any Playstation edition (and some PC) + season pass, you get everything. Of course the season pass debate applies, but that's hardly an Ubi only issue.

This is of course ignoring all the physical stuff. I'm only talking about game content.

What is so hard about understanding that people want an edition that includes every piece of content? It's like you're trying to be ignorant or argumentative on purpose. Other games do it. It's not some strange or alien concept. Special and limited editions aren't new and didn't start with this game.

LoveCake

I mentioned this the other week http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110692351&postcount=126

I had the DeadSec version on order for me WiiU when the game was announced then i got a PS4 just before they moved back the WiiU version, so i cancelled my WiiU DeadSec order & ordered the PS4 DeadSec version, but then when i found out about the season pass the other week i cancelled my PS4 DeadSec version & ordered the normal version & a discounted season pass so i get all the content & more for £62 where the DeadSec was going to cost me £90

Paganmoon

TLoU had two special editions where the content was the same but just a Joel or an Ellie version.

TLoU also had post-pandemic edition for gamestop (retail exclusive), it had the survival edition, it also had digital edition. So I count 5 right there, on top of standard edition.

This is getting out of control. It has become literally impossible to enjoy all the content available for a singular product. For the Arkham games, waiting for the GOTY edition is about the only way to ensure you have everything because the initial release will spread all costumes and DLC across 20 different retailers and platforms.

Well, we as a consumer can vote with our wallets.
People moan about EA games, microtransactions, tackled on DLC,... just stop buying those games then.
The industry will change then

Kssio_Aug

I will buy at least one month subscription of FFXIV, and just then I will see about buying Watch_Dogs, but if I do buy it, will definitely be the standard edition. Not even because of all these versions (what is really silly) but because I learned well after many Assassins Creed's.

Fuz

Banned
Well, we as a consumer can vote with our wallets.
People moan about EA games, microtransactions, tackled on DLC,... just stop buying those games then.
The industry will change then

Brofist.

Too bad I've already realized it will never happen and we consumers are fucked beyond any salvation.

I will buy at least one month subscription of FFXIV, and just then I will see about buying Watch_Dogs, but if I do buy it, will definitely be the standard edition. Not even because of all these versions (what is really silly) but because I learned well after many Assassins Creed's.

Standard edition is the best way. That spreadsheet also says that the season pass will contain most of that deluxe DLC so if you want more game, you can get the season pass later.

Stike

Fuck that, I really wanted that game, but I will not get any of those "gimped" editions.

I will wait a few years until the ultimate gold GOTY edition hits the 20 € bin.

And yes, I have enough backlog to go through to wait that long :p

THIS is what's wrong with publishers these days. I'd rather have them release the full package and raise the price overall, but not to those ridiculous levels of the Dedsec Edition.

Ade

As per all previous Ubisoft games with silly versions like this, I'd imagine the Season Pass will eventually include all these ludicrous items.

Same happened with ACIV, and it highlighted how pointless all these exclusive items/missions/outfits were too.

Pandemic

So.. I need to change to the Gold edition on the Playstation Store, eh.. :/

Deadsec doesn't get half of the content the Gold edition has? Bastards..

Thank you for the spreadsheet fellow GAFfer. I'm going to study it intensely before making a purchasing decision. It's a good thing I'm off work today so I have plenty of time to weigh the pros and cons of each version.

Dr Dogg

I don't know what to think anymore. Considering Ubisoft has in some way or another had multiple special editions also differing in various territories since AC II this shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. The splitting up preorder DLC started with AC: Revelations and has been a factor on this scale for a good while. Not to mention all of this was know about nigh on 9 months ago, had a comparison chart up on the Watch_Dogs Wikia wiki in October of last year and no one made a fuss then?

I swear UbiSoft could launch a Watch_Dogs: Herpes Edition and there will be some people saying they are upset they don't get herpes with the standard game.

for what its worth, ubisoft has never put anything of use in preorder crap.

i remember they were really keen on trying to get me to preorder a splinter cell game for a limited edition shotgun or something.

Ulumsk

I hate this shit, but I'm also a part of the problem since I actually buy their crap.

Looking like PS4 Gold Edition and maybe DeadSec Edition for another platform for the physical goods for me.

SoundLad

Wow, this is fucking disgraceful! I was okay with having a "standard" and "deluxe" edition of a game being released but this is just way overboard...taking the piss . Or maybe I'm living in the past?

On topic, I'll most likely buy the uplay/steam standard version, maybe

Messiek

Are you guys getting the Season pass?
Ubisoft games, imo , doesn't have good DLC in general. I bought AC3 season pass ... never played.

Pretty sad when you need a guide to preorder bonuses/dlcs/versions of a single game. For that shit alone I'll be waiting for the "definitive/goty" version that comes with all that crap. Thats if I do decide to buy it.

RiggyRob

Wow - there is literally no choice that gets you everything without buying 2 versions, not even DedSec edition + Season Pass gets you everything.

None. Very easy choice for me. Game looks like a boring souped-up Assassin's Creed clone and I don't want to support these shitty practices that try to squeeze double or triple the game's worth out of customers.

BBboy20

It is easier to not buy any version.
It's even easier just not buying it.

Wow... I want the soundtrack
I want the game to sound like Hannibal.

I don't know why, maybe I'm just an incredibly bitter gamer nowadays, but I went from being genuinely excited about this game at its initial unveil gradually through to a mixture of apathy and irritation at every mention of it. And then this crap is pulled and I feel no desire to be anywhere near it or its inevitable sequels.

It actually scares me how little I care to play Watch_Dogs now.

You are not alone, far from it.

I'm mostly just interested to see how good it looks on PC.
It seemed like the greatest thing in slice bread and Ubisoft had a good run in 2012, then, in 2013, Assassin's Creed 4 was revealed, the "firing/quitting" of Patrice Desilets, then the Xbone reveal, then Blacklist, but the recent coverage of it with the visual downgrade and really starting to realize how homogenous the Ubisoft game design is and the fact that all this accumulated of just not wanting to support their AAA endeavors anymore because Black Dragon is the only reason I've gave them money at this point.

As someone who has preordered Ubisoft games last gen and will never do it again, I can safely say the DLC items do not add to the experience at all.

The vanilla game is complete already because they have to account for not everyone buying a special edition. Everything else is cosmetic items and worthless gimmicks and trinkets that do not affect the game.
If the Bone reveal taught anybody: nip the fucking bud before it gets out of hand.

We get choice, there is no ultimate experience
Why shouldn't there be? Because, to be realistic, there's no reason for digial pre-orders that isn't part of the game to exist. The reason physical junk is so admired is because...well, they're part of the real world; be a bit impossible to somehow insert them in to the game. What most games offer though these days is 0s and 1s and because of that, unless it's a different format like a soundtrack, there is no logistical reason why it can't be just in the game if you're going to release it so soon. There is no sense of ownership of these select items when they can be virtually inserted into the game due to a internet connection and the devs pressing enter to transfer them to your game because the devs like pleasuring their fanbase. But that's not the case when these artificial price gates/location ploys exist (on day 1).

And the serious answer of choice for the consumer would be finding a game at a store with a lower price, not which retailer holding hostage a piece(s) of digital content that may as well be patched in on day 1.

Braag

God I hate it when they release a dozen different versions all with different content. What happened to just having "standard" and "collectors" editions?
Now there has to be 5 different digital versions, each store has its own edition, each console has different stuff, bronze silver and gold editions, eu edition, us edition, limited edition, special edition, deluxe edition, super mega ultra editions, deadsec edition, deadbeat edition on and on and on.

How do you even keep track of all that.
And it's not just Watch Dogs that is guilty of this, a lot of other games are doing this as well but Ubisoft seems to do this with all of their games these days.

R3TRODYCE

Whatever the version is on the Xbox One digital store. I already bought the digital season pass on there so now the wait for the full game begins.

Occam

Funny, this made my already waning interest diminish even further.

What this is telling me is that we should all wait for the cheaper and complete "game of the year" edition.

Top Bottom