• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Final Fantasy has the best soundtrack?

Title

• Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 35 20.2%
  • Final Fantasy VIi

Votes: 37 21.4%
  • Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 40 23.1%
  • Final Fantasy IX

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • Final Fantasy X

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • Final Fantasy XII

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Final Fantasy XIII

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • One of the earlier ones.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • One of the later ones.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • One of the MMO ones.

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Dammit. They’re all good. This is like asking who your favorite child is.

If I had to pick one, XIII. But all these are fantastic.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
VII has definitely one of the most memorable soundtracks. VIII has "Eyes on Me" and a bunch of other fantastic songs. "Balamb Garden" is another great track. XII has some fantastic songs to it. I'd put it at the top of my list, but I remember VII and VII in great detail. I attended the Music of Final Fantasy and its always a pleasure to hear music from Final Fantasy VII, even though there are other wonderful tracks out there to listen to. I think its the energy of the crowd that does it. VII generated a ton of excitement.

I'd have to say XII and XV had some great vocal tracks. XII would have been my first choice for "Kiss Me Goodbye". XV had "Too Much is Never Enough".

kingbean

6-7-8 all have amazing soundtracks, but I think 8's is so good it carries the game because lord knows the story is goofy and the draw mechanics suck.

I voted 8

5 has Battle at the Big Bridge and that song rocks.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
XIII easily, the entire trilogy. Its just far more sophisticated and intricate than anything Uematsu has done. He has some great catchy simple melodies which fit even better in older games with less music options. But he was very clearly surpassed in FFX, and FFXIII. Nakano and Hamauzu are just so much better. All Uematsu's tracks on FFX sound so simple compared to the other two composers.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
This is such a tough question. FFVI through FFIX were incredible and each had their own style and influences. I went with FFVI but any of them up to IX I can agree with. Freakin Uematsu, man.

Oh no not this topic.

Final Fantasy XIV, expansions included, and it's not even remotely close.

Go listen to it. Here's my complete playlist of all of the songs from FFXIV from 1.0 to Stormblood.

This man knows.

One of my favorites is the Ravana fight. The song is broken into two section for each phase of the fight.

Phase 1:

Phase 2:

Thabass

This man knows.

One of my favorites is the Ravana fight. The song is broken into two section for each phase of the fight.

Phase 1:

Phase 2:

Those two are bangers for sure. The orchestral stuff is great two. Check out Serenity (my all time favorite Final Fantasy song now) and Nemesis (ARR's Boss Battle theme). Nemesis is some of Uematsu's best work.

Fight me.

Pagusas

Elden Member
7, then 6 then 8. All are 11/10 perfect though. 7 just has the most memorable music. 6 is damn close though and I can’t fault anyone for listing it first. 8 is just like perfect production quality and perfectly executed, but it lacks some of the more memorable music moments 7 and 6 have.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

Pleased to see VIII winning right now.

I know it's not the fan favourite amongst games such as 9, 7 or 6, but the soundtrack is solid all around.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Is this a serious question? it's VIII or VII
No ifs or buts about it.

I'm shocked 8 would make the list being such an awful game. 6 and 7 I can understand but 8 confuses me. Maybe I need to revisit this!

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm shocked 8 would make the list being such an awful game. 6 and 7 I can understand but 8 confuses me. Maybe I need to revisit this!

This is about music. Not the game. Just like Pirates of the Caribbean films have insanely good music, even though the overal quality of the films is a bit hit and miss. You can still love a part of something while disliking other parts. Like I hate the plot of 9 with a passion but love the characters.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Easily XII for me, such a grand score.It sounds far above anything else the series has produced composition wise.
I’m curious what your favorite track is, I’ve always felt XII was the weakest entry of all modern final fantasies. It’s the only one I can’t instantly remember music from, so I’d be very curious to hear your favorite so I might re-evaluate it.

Pejo

XI is the objectively correct answer, but out of the ones you had explicitly listed I picked 6. 4 is also a strong contender, it's got a ton of instantly recognizable songs.

Hinedorf

Banned
This is about music. Not the game. Just like Pirates of the Caribbean films have insanely good music, even though the overal quality of the films is a bit hit and miss. You can still love a part of something while disliking other parts. Like I hate the plot of 9 with a passion but love the characters.

Admittedly Pirates is a guilty pleasure for me, I love everything about them. Speaking of the music though, I can't remember a single song from 8 and I have tons of FF songs from various games in my head routinely. Clearly I didn't give the soundtrack enough of a chance.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
This is really tough. They are all so good!

Voting 8 cos it was the one I would leave on in the background and I’m a sucker for the Triple Triad theme.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Admittedly Pirates is a guilty pleasure for me, I love everything about them. Speaking of the music though, I can't remember a single song from 8 and I have tons of FF songs from various games in my head routinely. Clearly I didn't give the soundtrack enough of a chance.

For sure. Listen to:

Liberi Fatali
Balamb GARDEN
Fisherman's Horizon
Ending Theme

to get a baseline on the music direction. Ending Theme does a great job of giving you the full overview. Its a huge soundtrack with tons of variety in it and expertly crafted.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
For sure. Listen to:

Liberi Fatali
Balamb GARDEN
Fisherman's Horizon
Ending Theme

to get a baseline on the music direction. Ending Theme does a great job of giving you the full overview. Its a huge soundtrack with tons of variety in it and expertly crafted.

Balamb Garden is the shit. I also love Blue Fields, and the military style "SeeD" they play when they do the Assault on Dollet always gets me hyped as fuck to get into the game again.

My favourite track has got to be The Man with The Machine Gun though, I was so blown away by that when I first played it.

Also favourites of mine:

- Shuffle or Boogie
- Breezy
- Waltz for the Moon
- Julia
- Roses and Wine
- Timber Owls
- Ami
- Trust Me
- Eyes on Me
- Compression of Time

Last edited:

base

Banned
Hard to tell.

My favs:

FF7 - Anxious Heart, the Reunion, Buried in Snow
FF8 - Amy, battle theme, Find your Way, Fragments of Memories, Amy, The Oath, The Successor
FF9 - You're not alone

base

Banned
FFXIII has a great track called "Dust to Dust". Still, FFXIII-2 had much better story and soundtrack overall.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I didn’t vote because it’s too hard to choose. The soundtrack to FF14 heavensward is amazing but ff7 has some of my favorite songs of all time. FF15 and ff13 are close behind though.

Soltype

I’m curious what your favorite track is, I’ve always felt XII was the weakest entry of all modern final fantasies. It’s the only one I can’t instantly remember music from, so I’d be very curious to hear your favorite so I might re-evaluate it.
Hard to pick just one, Dalmasca Westersand, Garamsythe Waterway. I just love how a lot of the area themes have mini movements in them, it keeps your attention.

8 has 4 different final boss themes back to back and they´re all the best final boss theme ever. We´re also talking Compression of time, we´re talking Man with the motherfucking machine gun, we´re talking Liberi Fatali aka the best song in FF history, we´re talking Shuffle or boogie, the motherfucking Landing, Succession of witches, I´m just listing songs at this point and its one banger after the next. EZ wins all around.

Top Bottom