• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Final Fantasy has the best soundtrack?

Title

• Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 35 20.2%
  • Final Fantasy VIi

Votes: 37 21.4%
  • Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 40 23.1%
  • Final Fantasy IX

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • Final Fantasy X

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • Final Fantasy XII

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Final Fantasy XIII

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • One of the earlier ones.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • One of the later ones.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • One of the MMO ones.

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters

Myths

Hmm, they are all pretty solid. But the OSTs that stick the most to me are IV, V, and VI. Not only the jump from NES to SNES was major but in the same move these three games established themes and motifs used later on. If you have good ears, you can pick up certain phrases and measures rearranged in newer games.

The Shepard

No one can deny Nobuo Uematsu has created the greatest video game music of all time with the final fantasy soundtracks, it's a hard vote but I chose my first.

Last edited:

zenspider

Final Fantasy VIII with a bullet. I'll grant that it's somewhat in the context of the series, but goddamn is is it ambitious, creative, and challenging for a mainline mainstream OST.

sublimit

Banned
All of them is the best answer. :p

But since i can't say that i'll say FFVII Dirge of Cerberus. It's the "hidden gem" of FF soundtracks IMO. The variety of mood and atmosphere that comes out of Hamauzu's soundtracks is out of this world.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Just a few
But seriously, that intro and the game took my fandom of Final Fantasy to May purchase to have yo buy.
Sadly I don't think SE has ever reach VIII greatness since.
X was good but the rest are below VII and VIII in my opinion.

Paltheos

For sure. Listen to:

Liberi Fatali
Balamb GARDEN
Fisherman's Horizon
Ending Theme

to get a baseline on the music direction. Ending Theme does a great job of giving you the full overview. Its a huge soundtrack with tons of variety in it and expertly crafted.

I disagree. I think it has a few outstanding tracks but... not substantially more than the other titles (if even?), and maybe the good tracks 8 does have overshadows the many, common tracks which are plain or loud. The world map theme is unremarkable, and the main battle theme is a little too loud and grating. Esthar, Deling and Fisherman's Horizon have good themes but the rest are underwhelming. The Castle's a good level theme but I don't remember the rest. FF6 has orchestral nothings playing in caves and they're leagues better if just because I remember them.

Just off the top of my head, I can confidently place 8's soundtrack below 6, 7, 10, and 12. Probably 4 and 5 too - I remember allot of empty time in-game replaced with not so great nothing tracks, but I think the rest of their soundtracks bolster them up.

mcz117chief

XIII-2 and its not even close. From all the ones I played (I, IV trilogy, X, Type-0, XIII trilogy, XV, Tactics, Dissidia Duodecim, World of FF, Dirge of Cerberus) and after listening to music from many others thanks to XV and Duodecim XIII-2 reigns supreme. The second would be Type-0.

Last edited:
You guys don't know how much I love the music in Final Fantasy IX. :messenger_smiling_hearts: :messenger_crying:

Every time I listen to the overworld theme from that game, it takes me back to my childhood. I remember one playthrough during the summer where I was also playing Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story. It was my "summer of RPGs".

I feel lucky to have played these games to experience their beautiful game worlds, music, and CGI cutscenes at a young age, when kids today would rather play violent military shooters or the latest battle royale clone which have no real stories to tell that might creatively inspire them to write or draw their own Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, something I think makes RPGs unique from other genres.

Final Fantasy VII and X had pretty good music too but I mostly remember Final Fantasy IX. At that time, I never played Final Fantasy I - VI which is probably why Final Fantasy IX ended up being my favorite entry in the series.

But it's so good! :messenger_savoring:

Last edited:

Kumomeme

FFXIV is definitely one of the best there...Masayoshi Soken is one of square best composer..he soo underated

why just labelling XI and XIV as "One of the MMO ones." ?

each of the title should be treated as mainline..even the devs did the same

FFXIV developed,treated as single player games despite being an mmo and the content and storyline far suprass modern ff this past 2 gen and surely one of the best ff ever made

ROMhack

FFXIV is definitely one of the best there...Masayoshi Soken is one of square best composer..he soo underated

why just labelling XI and XIV as "One of the MMO ones." ?

each of the title should be treated as mainline..even the devs did the same

FFXIV developed,treated as single player games despite being an mmo and the content and storyline far suprass modern ff this past 2 gen and surely one of the best ff ever made

Poll limits the amount of options so I had to use creative license

ROMhack

You guys don't know how much I love the music in Final Fantasy IX. :messenger_smiling_hearts: :messenger_crying:

Every time I listen to the overworld theme from that game, it takes me back to my childhood. I remember one playthrough during the summer where I was also playing Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story. It was my "summer of RPGs".

I feel lucky to have played these games to experience their beautiful game worlds, music, and CGI cutscenes at a young age, when kids today would rather play violent military shooters or the latest battle royale clone which have no real stories to tell that might creatively inspire them to write or draw their own Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, something I think makes RPGs unique from other genres.

Final Fantasy VII and X had pretty good music too but I mostly remember Final Fantasy IX. At that time, I never played Final Fantasy I - VI which is probably why Final Fantasy IX ended up being my favorite entry in the series.

But it's so good! :messenger_savoring:

Agree with this, I think FFIX could be described as the Chrono Cross of FF soundtracks. There's few standout tracks but it's very relaxing and pleasant overall.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

i LOOOOVE the bass line in this. almost sounds like it was played on a MIDI bass.

gotta say i love the results so far. VI, VII, and VIII are all so good. IX is no slouch either, it just has heavy competition.

Final fantasy VII for sure, [and I'm not even a fan of the game]. At one point in my life (teens) I had an MP3 player loaded with every song from every Final Fantasy at the time, had all their orchestrated events, piano collections and Black Mages tracks as well. They're really all fucking amazing, really, but Final Fantasy VII OST was just better. Nubuo knew what was up and how to fuck'n kill it back then.

I played VI to IX and XII.

But VI is my favorite. It's snes so no orchestras, no choir. Just 16 bit greatness.

Honorable mention: Final Fantasy Tactics

Last edited:

LuniRPG

There are so many FF games that have amazing soundtracks that it is hard to choose. However, I still believe that FFVIII tops them all. That being said, there are songs from just about every game that I would consider a personal favorite. Uematsu is a legend.

Aggelos

What about some FF7Remake music?
Although a brief sound-nugget that is, still there's enough to understand the amazingness of FF7Remake's newly arranged tracks

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
What about some FF7Remake music?
Although a brief sound-nugget that is, still there's enough to understand the amazingness of FF7Remake's newly arranged tracks

What I've heard so far hasn't really blown me away unfortunately. But I am looking forward to hearing all of the old melodies reinterpreted.

Pachi72

FF6 for me was the most emotional. The guy took the systems limitation and made the best possible OST. TERRA baby

D.Final

Banned
The fact that the poll lack the likes of Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy XIV, and Final Fantasy XV, is very serious from my point of view.

However, to answer you, there is no "best OST".
Simply because they are all extremely beautiful, complex, iconic, and made in an excellent way as well as sublime.

The correct question should have been:
"What is your favorite OST in the Final Fantasy saga?"

And so everyone would have answered exactly as he did now, and that is with the OST he preferred.

Top Bottom