• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Final Fantasy has the best soundtrack?

Title

• Final Fantasy VI

Votes: 35 20.2%
  • Final Fantasy VIi

Votes: 37 21.4%
  • Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 40 23.1%
  • Final Fantasy IX

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • Final Fantasy X

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • Final Fantasy XII

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Final Fantasy XIII

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • One of the earlier ones.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • One of the later ones.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • One of the MMO ones.

Votes: 10 5.8%

• Total voters

D.Final

Banned
My favorite OST is that of Final Fantasy XV.
For multiple reasons, musical, historical, emotional, and of experience, lived with one of the best Final Fantasy ever made.

Last edited:
FF8 was far from the best game in the series, though it was decent. It did, however, have the best soundtrack, especially when orchestrated.

Myths

Of course plenty of other gems in older games, I’m really into them:

In the last one, it’s basically where FFIV derived its theme.

FF12 story recap anyone?

If you listen carefully, there’s a secret sleeping in the deep blue sea. Just that it’s in FF7... and slowly rearranged.

Ass slide... I mean bass slide ugh

Kuja, is u home?

FF7 loves it in its boss theme, so did we.

Upbeat and ready for an adventure, VI.

Last edited:

xGreir

I'm sorry, it's just Final Fantasy IX

Ok, we have it covered guys, you can remove your posts now!

Also, the legend, Nobuo Uematsu

Tiamat2san

FFXV because it has great music on it’s own and you can listen to music from all the past games.
If you think it’s cheating and I need to pick a game in particular for it’s own tracks then it will FFVI by far.

Farrell55

Banned
I really love the final fantasy 7 opening theme, Specialy the Orchestra Version! Also love from final fantasy 8 the Song from edeas parade

STARSBarry

Gold Member
VIII is going to win but if where going by quantity and quality XIV a realm reborn is the real winner. Sadly these forums are not exactly the best place for anything made less than 15+ years ago to be looked at positively when sat next to a childhood memory.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

"One of the MMO ones"... like really? You can't fucking give them both a slot with their number? I'm guessing you've never played any of the "MMO ones" to any significant extent. The only correct answer to your question OP is Final Fantasy XI and it's not even close. The sheer amount of tracks makes it hard for other games to even compete. It has more quality tracks than the other games have tracks. The tracks also have a much deeper meaning to the players.

"One of the MMO ones"... like really? You can't fucking give them both a slot with their number? I'm guessing you've never played any of the "MMO ones" to any significant extent. The only correct answer to your question OP is Final Fantasy XI and it's not even close. The sheer amount of tracks makes it hard for other games to even compete. It has more quality tracks than the other games have tracks. The tracks also have a much deeper meaning to the players.
I assume this is your favorite track?

Garnox

While IX is my favorite and the music in it is great and my personal favorite OST, I had to be objective with the question.

IX has a lot of repeat tracks with different tones and variations, called Melodies of Life, Rose of May, and A Place to Return to Someday.

ALL great tracks, but FFVII had a very wide range of tracks with little to no repeats that is so atmospheric and just a wonderful soundtrack.

The other titles had IMO like 6-8 tracks each that were great, but VII takes the cake with double that.

Last edited:

MrJTeera

Where’s the option for Lost Odyssey? Every of their tracks evoke a feeling of old FF mix with a modern take. A feeling that new FF cannot capture.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It depends actually.

In terms of battle themes, FFVIII and FFXV take the cake. FFXIII takes the cake for regular battle themes:

In terms of overall/main theme, FFX wins for me hands down:

Reactions: TLZ

Paracelsus

All FF have a handful memorable themes, but if we have to go with just the sheer number of "wow" themes, then that's blatantly FFVIII. It's not nostalgia or people would vote more for the one that's most beloved, FFVII. FFVII pales in comparison when it comes to quantity, I think also FFX has more memorable themes in total.
I mean, this is just a theme for a briefing, imagine the rest.

As for battle themes, I'm gonna have to say FFIX gets a nearly perfect score. Main theme is just okay, but then you have in a row

(FFIX has probably best generic boss theme of the whole series)

I wish I knew the FFXIV story because just like that, because you can tell if the themes fit or it's just unnecessary orchestral for the sake of it, like the great John Williams themes in the stupid videogamey Star Wars prequel battles.

Last edited:

Call_me_shane

Neo Member
I don't like the game all that much, but this song is so good to me. I wish the whole game had the same emotion as this one song.

rrice64

Neo Member
For traditional FF? To Zanarkand from X is amazing. VII and VIII both have great battle music. XIII, for all the shit it gets, has great music top to bottom.

But by far, the greatest in the whole series, has GOT to be XIV. There's just no comparison. New Gridania music makes me feel like I'm 'home'. The battle music gets me pumped up, even just the regular fights against level 1 lady bugs haha. The boss fights, dungeon music, all of it. It's in a league of it's own.

Top Bottom