• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which games captured the feeling of what it's like to fly?

Oersted

Could be the main part of the game like Pilotwings or a more additional part, like the Quidditch elements in the old Harry Potter games.

Bonus points if you can speak based on own experience, like having done skydiving.

CJCW

Despite its faults, especially combat, this is what I like most about Gravity Rush. Just flying around is loads of fun. No other game feels quite like it.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Far Cry 4's buzzer.

Just Cause 2 (can't speak to 3, havent yet played it)

Philia

Spyro. ;________;

Granted the gif is based on a loading screen but everyone remembers the gem of the early ps1 series were.

tumblr_nqtvis8QLt1s1rpgbo4_540.gif

People talk shit about the flight controls in GTA, but I kind of like them. They're just close enough to sim-y that you can't just go flying around in them the way you can in cars, which makes all those hours I spent Pilotwings on the SNES seem like an actual skill as opposed to just an excuse to listen to sweet mellow Japanese grooves

In a lot of games "flying" just feels like zero gravity hovering, with no momentum or sense of relative speed

Lunar15

Xenoblade Chronicles X, mainly because they do this interesting little camera tilt when you move and that just creates this insanely believable sensation of flight.

It's probably the best thing that game does.

Mephala

Xenoblade Chronicles X's skell flight.
Gravity Rush's gravity manipulation.
Divinity 2's Dragon flight.
Morrowind's Levitation spell.

Many MMOs have flight travel either by mount or equipment (wings, gliders etc).

Memory

Xenoblade has made we want to fly more than anything else recently. Gravity Rush has a cool 'flying' mechanic i enjoy also.

Heman

The superman game on PS 2. That game only had the flying mechanics going for it and they were awesome.
I remember to look at the map you'd just fly super high into the sky and look down

-Horizon-

Get in a mech in XenoX. Put into first person. Start flying.

I actually haven't tried going first person while in a a mech though, I'm just assuming you can like when you're on foot...brb gonna try it haha.

Kid Icarus Uprising

Pit will react to how fast he's flying, even to go as far to yell about how much g-force is pushing against him, albeit it in a comedic tone. Soaring past the scenery with plenty of sound effects, scenic views, and dodging in between caverns or under cliffs really gives the feeling of soaring. As a fan of the 3D mechanic in this game, that just adds more to it because of the depth, like you can see just how high up you are.

The game as a whole is a fantastic experience.

DigSCCP

I really enjoyed the flight on Ni No Kuni.
Its pretty simple but feels fantastic from the moment you call Tengri and the music starts.

Top Bottom