• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

which genre of game do you think is the hardest, & why?

Hardest game genre/subgenre?

• Total voters

Aesius

High-level 1v1 RTS hands down. I was just shy of expert level at AOE2 more than 20 years ago, and I ended up quitting the game because of how stressful rated 1v1s were against players who were my equal or better.

You had to play almost perfect to win, especially in the first 10-15 minutes or so. Completing build orders was like doing mini speedruns where there was almost no room for error, because if you messed up and advanced to the next age 20 seconds slower than your opponent, that might be enough to cost you the game.

Last edited:

LRKD

For sure Fighters and RTS, I don't think anything else comes close. I think fighters first, and rts as a close second.

Lasha

Fighting games because of their unique controls and 100% focus on 1v1 fights. Every loss can be attributed to the decisions you made in the game. Both introduce friction that cause casual players bounce to easier games or team based games.

Fredrik

Roguelikes, especially Returnal - I hated the game with wild passion, until I found out about the cloud save trick, which gave me a save point, after that it became my favorite Sony game.

Fighting games are up there as well, but unless you play online you can do okay enough by knowing the basics and learn a handful of controlled moves and fill up with mashing.

Souls games are difficult too but if you can endure to grind and level up enough to get an advantage they aren’t that bad.

Bullet hell/shmups, easily. One hit deaths and millions of shots fired constantly? I can never get anywhere.

After that it's Roguelikes for me, then fighting games.

Frustration, boredom and the pure difficulty make these games impossible for me to enjoy or even try to get good at.

Last edited:

mxbison

I don't think fighting games are generally harder to master than other games.

The entry barrier is just high because for some reason people randomly mash buttons which they don't do in any other genre.

Depends on the game. Puzzle games can obviously be super hard, bullet hell games, platformers, games with tons of mechanics and things going on like Dota 2 etc.

Robb

Gold Member
I’d go with fighting games, I can never be bothered to learn all those moves, let alone use them efficiently.

Shut0wen

For me its bullet hell, i can beat ninja gaiden on normal but a majority of bullet hells i can only bewt the first level, especially treasure games

Top Bottom